• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavyOO7

My nearby Walmart had Fifa, Madden, AC3, Just Dance 4, ScribbleNauts, Rabbids Land and Batman. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger just yet even though I wanted to get at least 3 games. I barely have enough money for the console and 1 other game. =p

EDIT: Hmm, I just realized. Is Nintendo Network ID linked with Club Nintendo? Because I bought a mess of stuff on the 3DS eshop and some 3DS VC as well. And my Wii stuff is also linked to CN. Will NNID do that?

DrNeroCF

This actually should be a serious concern for you "digital only" folks. I remember how extremely slow the Nintendo Shop was on the Wii. It seemed to take forever just to download a small game.

The standards are based around analog broadcast TV, intended for display on CRTs, which don't need such things as "integer scaling".

Doesn't really matter when almost everything is overscanned still.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This actually should be a serious concern for you "digital only" folks. I remember how extremely slow the Nintendo Shop was on the Wii. It seemed to take forever just to download a small game.

For most cases, for me, it would still take less time than getting ready, heading to the store, getting the game, waiting in line, paying for the game, leaving the store, walking back inside, and putting the game in.

Pineconn

Deluxe w/ Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiU
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

I was thinking about getting one more game. Originally ACIII was on my list, but it appears to be a steaming pile of doo-doo. (Guess I should wait for the reviews, though.) Anyone have any suggestions for another game? Batman, Darksiders?

Anth0ny

For most cases, for me, it would still take less time than getting ready, heading to the store, getting the game, waiting in line, paying for the game, leaving the store, walking back inside, and putting the game in.

Not to mention we'd probably be getting Nintendo games at midnight they day they're released. Pretty awesome.

Deluxe w/ Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiU

I was thinking about getting one more game. Originally ACIII was on my list, but it appears to be a steaming pile of doo-doo. (Guess I should wait for the reviews, though.) Anyone have any suggestions for another game? Batman, Darksiders?

Sonic Racing, Tekken or Epic Mickey look like promising alternatives. All have off screen play.

cand

This OP just broke my heart. I have a friend in Boston right now and pretty much every place he looked up had sold out all the versions of the Wii U. Well let's hope at least it doesn't come to Brazil with a $1000 (R$2000) price tag.
will come with this exact price tag T__T

hiryu64

The countdown begins for NA folks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsOPHyuAuT0

5d4QD.png

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Looks like there's a pending charge for my gamestop.com order, hopefully it goes through!

Got the Deluxe bundle, NSMBU, TTT2, ZombiU, and Sonic Allstars coming! Might get a pro controller as well but I don't see myself needing one with these games.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Anyone pre-order for in-store pickup from Best Buy before? If I'm reading their online policies correctly, it appears that on Sunday the online store is going to charge my card for my purchase, and all I'll need to do is bring my credit card as proof of purchase to the physical store to pick up the item. Is that how it goes? Seems like if that's how it's done, there's not a good chance they'd sell our pre-ordered Wii Us to someone else since technically they're already sold and charged for.

I pre-order from Best Buy a lot. On Sunday morning they should send you an email saying your order is ready to pick up. Bring the order number, the card you paid with and your ID to the store and go to the In-Store Pickup area. What they do is take the item you purchased, attach the order slip to it and put it behind the counter so yeah it's yours.

And are you sure you haven't been charged yet? I checked my bank today and they charged me yesterday for my pre-order and Mario.

batbeg

Deluxe w/ Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiU

This looks like my launch list as well. I'm adding either Sonic Allstars or Sctibblenauts

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
By the way are we SURE Nintendo IDs are actual usernames and not numbers like friend codes? I haven't seen an explicit writeup on the Nintendo ID format.

By the way are we SURE Nintendo IDs are actual usernames and not numbers like friend codes? I haven't seen an explicit writeup on the Nintendo ID format.

It was confirmed in the Wii U FAQ thread (which was a translation from a Japanese FAQ) that Nintendo Network IDs are Alphanumeric and chosen by the user.

The best part of this are the Wii games I'll be picking up that I've missed since selling the console 3 years ago. Donkey Kong Country Returns + Skyward Sword + Galaxy 2 + Soinc Colors + NSMB U + Zombi U = so much fun, so little time. With Pikmin 3, and The Wonderful 101 on the horizon, I'm set for months.

Glass Joe

A Nintendo Direct showed the interface, the Nintendo ID in the example was "willwill." I'm sure there's a screen grab somewhere.

Earendil

I don't feel like looking through 700 posts for this, so I'll go ahead and ask...

If someone doesn't have an HD tv with HDMI, is there a cable included in the box for regular RCA hookups?

Anyone wanna be my FRAN TBH? I have like no one in real life i know getting one..

What's a 'FRAN TBH'? A Fran Mirabella groupie?

I don't feel like looking through 700 posts for this, so I'll go ahead and ask...

If someone doesn't have an HD tv with HDMI, is there a cable included in the box for regular RCA hookups?

I don't know if one is included but it uses the same RCA cord that the Wii and Gamecube (and maybe even N64) use.

Earendil

I don't know if one is included but it uses the same RCA cord that the Wii and Gamecube (and maybe even N64) use.

Nintendo have used the same RCA cord since the SNES (I've tested it). This wasn't necessarily for me, but if my parents ever get one, they just have a crappy 26" tv. I was curious to see if they would need to get a cable.

Medalion

Banned

From the unboxing videos I've seen... they only include the HDMI cable... you can use the Wii cables from before if you have them otherwise or buy em separately

RkOwnage

I panicked for a second, because I realized I had 3 things hooked up through HDMI. Then I remembered I just got this LG LED TV not too long ago, and it has 4 HDMI inputs, crisis averted. Still panicking about Gamestop not following through on my preorder after that fiasco today though...

Sunday needs to hurry the hell up.

Kyon

Banned

friend ;__;

hayejin

So is Deluxe version hard to find still?

I checked eBay and was surprised to see there weren't many listings and price wasn't too high. At 500 with free shipping, the seller is not pocketing much. 50 ish eBay fee. 20 PayPal fee and 25 shipping. That's about 20 dollar profit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Nintendo have used the same RCA cord since the SNES (I've tested it). This wasn't necessarily for me, but if my parents ever get one, they just have a crappy 26" tv. I was curious to see if they would need to get a cable.

Not true guys. SNES, AV Famicom, N64 and Gamecube all used the same analog port.... but Wii had a completely different one (now used again on Wii U).

Kevtones

Deluxe w/ Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiU

This is my exact list although I'm probably snagging a couple eshop games (Nano Assault for sure).

I'm also considering:
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Ninja Gaiden Razor's Edge

MarkusRJR

Should I wait outside the store before opening or I should I just be able to walk in and pick it up around opening? I preordered at a small local store which isn't getting many units.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Should I wait outside the store before opening or I should I just be able to walk in and pick it up around opening? I preordered at a small local store which isn't getting many units.

If you pre-ordered it, they should hold it for you. That's how a pre-order is supposed to work... unless they're small enough that they're shady.

If it's gamestop, for example, you could wait to pick yours up on Monday and you'd still be guaranteed it.

RkOwnage

I'm having the same dilemma with my Gamestop. If the employee wouldn't be so vague with me and just flat out tell me. If I need to get there early and wait, I'll do it, but he kept dodging the question and it was infuriating. Unless I hear something different in the next 2 days, I plan on getting there super early to wait, even though I paid it off the DAY it was announced.

/frustrated, but don't mean to sound b*tchy.

RkOwnage

If you pre-ordered it, they should hold it for you. That's how a pre-order is supposed to work... unless they're small enough that they're shady.

If it's gamestop, for example, you could wait to pick yours up on Monday and you'd still be guaranteed it.

I wish this were the case w/ mine. I was told they may not have enough for preorders, and even though I was the first to preorder it, it was insinuated that I may not receive it, unless I arrive early, which kind of defeats the point of a preorder, don't you think?

I wish this were the case w/ mine. I was told they may not have enough for preorders, and even though I was the first to preorder it, it was insinuated that I may not receive it, unless I arrive early, which kind of defeats the point of a preorder, don't you think?

Weird, the Gamestop I preordered it at said they only take an allotted amount of preorders so I am guaranteed one(didn't see what number I was on the list but went in the evening the day preorders started).

Isn't there a company policy or is it store by store with them???

MarkusRJR

I'm just worried because I wasn't able to choose between the deluxe or the basic when I preordered. I just don't want to get stuck with a basic model. Oh and it's not a Gamestop so I'm not sure of it's policies.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I want to walk in to a store and buy this without a preorder but I don't want to camp out. Fuck. How many hours early do you think I would have to show up?

RkOwnage

Weird, the Gamestop I preordered it at said they only take an allotted amount of preorders so I am guaranteed one(didn't see what number I was on the list but went in the evening the day preorders started).

Isn't there a company policy or is it store by store with them???

That I am not sure about, I am probably going to call and ask for the manager. I preordered it on the 13th of September at like 12:38, so it was very shortly after the announcement, and the guy even told me I was the first preorder. I would hope their system could say who preordered it first, and they could go by that last in the event they were short preorders, because at that point, imo it should be based on who preordered first.

I am overly paranoid about this, probably and everything will work out fine, but I had the same issue with a Gamestop back in Savannah, when the Xbox 360 released, and got lucky at a Walmart after they ran out before fulfilling preorders.

I have the worst luck :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom