• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevelyan

Banned
Is it yet known if you will be able to download a game in the background while playing a game or doing anything else on the system?

Actually, I'm curious if I can play NSMBU on the gamepad while I use the system to stream amazon instant video on my TV. If it can do that....

Eusis

Actually, I'm curious if I can play NSMBU on the gamepad while I use the system to stream amazon instant video on my TV. If it can do that....
That'd actually also be a really good reason for keeping a GB of Ram: a core an GB of ram dedicated to the OS could feasibly also do stuff like streaming video to the TV that doesn't really demand THAT much out of the system.

My favorite announcement on the new Nintendo Direct is the Wii U Virtual Console with Gamepad support.

I need to know more about it first. A lot more. As in, was it totally pointless for me to have spent so much money already on what is about to be an inferior virtual console.

hiryu64

And we continue to draw closer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPhVhQZUCpM

wKLvW.png

bh7812

Banned
I thought that was a black friday deal for buy 2 get 1 50% off.

Craaaaaap! Thanks for letting me know, I think that IS for Black Friday only but I'll double check! If that's the case then...my Wii U and Mario are totally paid off so I could just buy the other games on Sunday, or wait till Friday and get them at Target. Decisions decisions. I don't mind going out on Black Friday, we'll see. If the biggest decision I need to make with this launch is whether or not to get extra games on Sunday or wait till Friday then I'm doing pretty good I'd say!

But seriously thanks for the heads up, I'll double check on that for sure!

kunonabi

Craaaaaap! Thanks for letting me know, I think that IS for Black Friday only but I'll double check! If that's the case then...my Wii U and Mario are totally paid off so I could just buy the other games on Sunday, or wait till Friday and get them at Target. Decisions decisions. I don't mind going out on Black Friday, we'll see. If the biggest decision I need to make with this launch is whether or not to get extra games on Sunday or wait till Friday then I'm doing pretty good I'd say!

But seriously thanks for the heads up, I'll double check on that for sure!

I'm actually doing the toy r us Black friday deal myself. Buy 1 get 1 for 40% off. Hopefully I can swing 4 games but we will see.

A comment from the site you go for nintendo news.

Probably not. Maybe both applications come preinstalled?

More likely it's akin to getting a SpotPass on your 3DS with an application package (like Pokedex 3D when it was still free)... which is really just a notice to go download the app from the eShop. But it still takes up a slot on your main menu as if it were the actual app.

Mrbob

I hope Amazon Instant Video is available on Wii U.

I might retire my PS3 as my multimedia player if I can play all my media easily from the Wiipad.

zroid

Banned
I'm not desperate to get a Wii U on day 1, but I fear if I wait till Monday to receive my online pre-order I'll miss out on a rad NiN ID. :(

majik13

Did they really say this? With some many Nintendo Directs out there I already lost track of all the announcements.

The direct said. Wii VC has no gamepad support.
Wii U VC is coming in the future with gamepad support, and no other details were given.

so we dont know if previously bought wii VC will be updated to work outside of wii mode and use the gamepad. Or if we will have to repurchase our game for wiiu vc, or gamepad support will only work on new games that or avaliable for wiiu vc. Its not clear yet.

Hopefully it is just updating all previous vc

majik13

That'd actually also be a really good reason for keeping a GB of Ram: a core an GB of ram dedicated to the OS could feasibly also do stuff like streaming video to the TV that doesn't really demand THAT much out of the system.

well if they cant get wiiu chat working without quitting out of the game. Then I wouldn't count on this feature, maybe an update in the distant future, but don't hold your breath.

DanielNC

Couldn't find it in the FAQ, so... does anyone know if I can transfer my Wii content to a WiiU from a different region? Region locks are a pain for sure and make me unsure if to buy at day 1.

I live in Sweden and usually buy American hardware, but now considering my first Euro hardware in a while due to TVii and such that will surely be fecked up if not from the same region...

Couldn't find it in the FAQ, so... does anyone know if I can transfer my Wii content to a WiiU from a different region? Region locks are a pain for sure and make me unsure if to buy at day 1.

I live in Sweden and usually buy American hardware, but now considering my first Euro hardware in a while due to TVii and such that will surely be fecked up if not from the same region...

No cross-region data transfers. I e-mailed NCL Customer Service to ask just that. To wit:

NCL Customer Service said:
なお、海外仕様のWiiから日本使用のWii Uへ引っ越ししていただくことはできませんし、その他にもご使用いただけるような方法はございません。ご了承ください。

You cannot transfer data from a foreign Wii to a Japanese Wii U, and there is no other way to do so. Please understand.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

We don't know the answer to this.. But the answer is very likely no. Sorry.

Every indication is that the Wii -> Wii U transfer process involves contacting Nintendo's servers to verify the content youve downloaded. I doubt they'd neglect regions in this process.

DanielNC

Cheesemeister and BocoDragon, thanks a lot for your replies. Then I'll wait for sure with my purchase to better understand what it'd mean for me to have an American WiiU in Sweden with regards to features and community...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The Club Nintendo site has info up about linking your Nintendo Network account with a Club Nintendo account.

https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

Frustratingly enough, the Wii U Deluxe and Wii U Basic sets are both worth the same number of CN Coins -- 160.

Exactly the same number as you get from a Wii system.

No credit for Nintendoland, either.

Grrr, Nintendo...

Edit: The eShop link page also says that Wii U systems don't qualify for warranty extensions...

DDayton

It's POSSIBLE it's a typo (hah), given that the page just went up.

It just seems insulting to do this -- NOA being clueless again. Yes, it's a free program, but it's just insulting at this point, what with coin values being tied to game prices everywhere else.

The Club Nintendo site has info up about linking your Nintendo Network account with a Club Nintendo account.

https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

Frustratingly enough, the Wii U Deluxe and Wii U Basic sets are both worth the same number of CN Coins -- 160.

Exactly the same number as you get from a Wii system.

No credit for Nintendoland, either.

Grrr, Nintendo...

Edit: The eShop link page also says that Wii U systems don't qualify for warranty extensions...

Damn this is thread worthy. There are even new screenshots of the OS.

The images are interesting, but how is it "thread worthy," really?

I guess it DOES say you are linking your Nintendo Network ID with your Club Nintendo account, but...

Nah I just noticed you can do it with the other consoles as well. Years of owning Nintendo systems and I didn't know that lol.

DDayton

Do -any- of the Wii U unboxing videos show what the various papers are in the box?

I keep checking, and each video shows the "unboxer" just grabbing and tossing the manuals/papers aside. I thought I saw a red/white "Club Nintendo" slip in one, and wanted to see if there was such a slip in the Wii U box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom