• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do -any- of the Wii U unboxing videos show what the various papers are in the box?

I keep checking, and each video shows the "unboxer" just grabbing and tossing the manuals/papers aside. I thought I saw a red/white "Club Nintendo" slip in one, and wanted to see if there was such a slip in the Wii U box.
I don't know about that but Sing Party's is nice.

This is a long shot, but:

1 can Wii games be played on the Gamepad?

2 can you use a button instead of waggle for Wii games? I'd love to try DKCR again if I didn't have to shake the controller to roll.

I feel your pain fellow european, going to be painful on sunday watching the wii u threads light up.

Actually because of the now standard trend bullshit of holding reviews back until releasedates this means it's easier to avoid launch games stinkers.

(I am lying to myself to make the wait more bearable. )

Rich!

This is a long shot, but:

1 can Wii games be played on the Gamepad?

2 can you use a button instead of waggle for Wii games? I'd love to try DKCR again if I didn't have to shake the controller to roll.

No and no.

There's a button on the Wii U menu that boots into the Wii OS. Basically, the backwards compatibility is IDENTICAL to what you get on the Wii in every single way. No new features.

Anyway. Install the homebrew channel on your wii if you want to play DKCR without waggle or with a classic controller.

I'm beginning to think I might pick up Black Ops 2 for the Wii U at launch if it proves to be as good a port as it looks. Though the business with the PS3 version is a tad concerning.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
The Club Nintendo site has info up about linking your Nintendo Network account with a Club Nintendo account.

https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

Frustratingly enough, the Wii U Deluxe and Wii U Basic sets are both worth the same number of CN Coins -- 160.

Exactly the same number as you get from a Wii system.

No credit for Nintendoland, either.

Grrr, Nintendo...

Edit: The eShop link page also says that Wii U systems don't qualify for warranty extensions...

only 160? Yikes.

nickcv

from IGN:

Nintendo Voice Chat Launch Special (Video)

did we already see anything related to this?
i remember a lot of talk about videochat, but nothing regarding voice chat.

Tim-E

I head out of town the day after launch. I'm almost tempted to take it with me and hope the TV at the hotel has HDMI. My wife would likely hurt me, though lol

Lettuce

Looks like ZombieU is off my list then!.....i want to play games sitting down in a nice comfortable sofa, not have to be standing up so i can spin round 360 degrees to use the game mechanics!

Looks like ZombieU is off my list then!.....i want to play games sitting down in a nice comfortable sofa, not have to be standing up so i can spin round 360 degrees to use the game mechanics!

I played this at events, you can use the analogue sticks to look around with the scanner - the motion control is optional.

My house's Wii has save data for both me and my sister, I don't want to delete her save data during the data transfer. Do you think if I backup my sister's save data before the transfer, I copy them back afterwards?

Zing

Banned
There's a button on the Wii U menu that boots into the Wii OS. Basically, the backwards compatibility is IDENTICAL to what you get on the Wii in every single way. No new features..
Is this accurate? Wii support is in the form of a "dual boot"? What the hell?

Well he apparently means through Ethernet.. And he's correct.

(but I don't give even one shit if it's wireless only)

Yes. That's what I meant. I don't have a wireless router....see they're going for a little bit more than an adapter. Sony knows what's up. Ethernet slot. Nintendo still hasn't learned.

TriGen

The Club Nintendo site has info up about linking your Nintendo Network account with a Club Nintendo account.

https://club.nintendo.com/link-shop-account.do

Frustratingly enough, the Wii U Deluxe and Wii U Basic sets are both worth the same number of CN Coins -- 160.

Exactly the same number as you get from a Wii system.

No credit for Nintendoland, either.

Grrr, Nintendo...

Edit: The eShop link page also says that Wii U systems don't qualify for warranty extensions...

Weird that you don't get the extended warranty. Wii U to break exactly 12 months after you turn it on confirmed!

As long as my NewEgg games ship tomorrow and get here on Monday, then I will be fine with that.

I'm saving a total of $30 from them on two launch games. You just can't beat that!

They wont. I emailed Newegg about it and they said the games won't be shipping till Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.

robot

Anyone preorder from Toys R Us online? Just curious if they charged your card or updated status. I preordered mine on 9/15 but not 100% sure if they're getting enough for launch.

Effect

What do people think about Darksiders 2? Considering picking that up in a few weeks. Enjoyed the first one well enough but to many kill rooms.

I know what you're feeling, you want those games asap. If you have extra money, what you can do is keep your newegg order, buy the game you ordered at a store, the. Return the one you get from newegg. Otherwise, I think you should relax a little :p, the money you're going to save is just more wii u money! Newegg will most likely ship either friday or early monday. My copy of kirby was shioped out the friday prior.

Was always curious if this was possible. There's nothing about the box itself that would show it's from another store?

Why does it seem like people taking these sort of photos are using a Samsung flip phone from 2004? Maybe take the $450 you spent on a Nintendo console to buy a new cell phone.

That really makes no sense, phones from 2004 still work you know, so if they'd rather spend their money on a wii u I really don't understand why someone on a gaming forum would give them shit for it

ElRenoRaven

What do people think about Darksiders 2? Considering picking that up in a few weeks. Enjoyed the first one well enough but to many kill rooms.

Was always curious if this was possible. There's nothing about the box itself that would show it's from another store?

Nothing other then the fact you'll probably set off their alarms due to the security tag not having been run over the machines to disable it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Unless it has a different barcode (aka some special sku with a store specific bonus) you should be fine. I used to do this all the time when I lived overseas because I would order a game from amazon but the local store had got it on release day (sometimes they would never get the game I wanted or was really late so I always ordered my games). So, provided you have the extra cash, buy the game at your retailer of choice, then Return the newegg one when it comes in. You still get the savings and nothing of value is lost.

lednerg

Don't know if it's been brought up before, but games that use the Miiverse in-game feedback system could give developers a shitload of valuable, detailed information about how gamers play their games. Anyone know if Nintendo is going to give devs access to the user comments outside of the game environment?

mimho

Don't know if already posted.... but....

http://www.rttnews.com/2007798/nint...orders-ahead-of-weekend-release.aspx?type=gag

How it's possible, when we are at less than two days from the launch, to write so many bullshits?

This Sunday, Nintendo will launch its Wii U, a hand held console that can be used independently and along with the company's Wii gaming platform.

According to Slashgear, GameStop, a video game retailer, it has received software pre-orders for 1.2 million units. This number also happens to be double the pre-orders GameStop received for Wii software, just before the console's release. Among these, games like ZombiU, New Super Mario Bros. U, Black Ops II, and Assassin's Creed III were the most ordered titles.

The Wii did not share the powerful success of its rivals, Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's Play Station 3, as the console did not offer enough third party titles and software. Most of the content was from Nintendo. However, things have changed and developers are now beginning to the Wii platform more seriously. From the list of most popular Wii U titles, very few are developed by Nintendo. This is a very good sign for the future of the gesture based gaming console.

Apart from timing their release perfectly, Nintendo also has a 'next generation technology' advantage, as its competitors have not announced any plans for their new consoles as of now. The new Wii U will not only work as an independent, hand held console, but also features backward integration with the Wii console. Gamers will be able to play Wii U games on the Wii and use it as a controller and a second screen for the Wii. So for instance, if gamers are playing a strategy game, then the Wii could serve as the main screen and the Wii U becomes a secondary screen that displays stats, a map and inventory details.

To add to all the positive developments, yesterday, Google rolled out a new Wii application just in time for the Wii U release. This means that the popular video site will also be accessible to Wii users who can now watch subscribed channels and search for things using their remotes.

Apart from a massive number of online pre-orders, the Japanese company can be happy about the large numbers of fans who are gathering up outside its Flagship Store in New York.

by RTT Staff Writer

The only right info is the in the first two words "This sunday".....

I'm wondering, is it really ignorance and stupidity, or deliberate misinformation. Anyway good move not to sign this great piece of journalism.

EDIT - The news is no longer on the site..... but i've saved this piece of sh..... ehm journalism
http://regator.com/p/258292246/rtt_news_gets_the_wii_u_all_wrong/

Svafnir

God... I regret not pre-ordering, I finally today realized there is indeed hype around the console and its going to be sold out.

Went to EBGames and Walmart today, neither were taking anymore pre orders... Anyone have any advice on how to snag one launch day? I live in British Colombia Canada (so you don't name American only stores). I was thinking about checking Costco as I don't know many people who buy video games there.

Edit: Do stores sell their stock as 100% preorders, or could I go to best buy when it opens and they would have stock? Both employees I talked to at EBGames/Walmart had no idea.

God... I regret not pre-ordering, I finally today realized there is indeed hype around the console and its going to be sold out.

Went to EBGames and Walmart today, neither were taking anymore pre orders... Anyone have any advice on how to snag one launch day? I live in British Colombia Canada (so you don't name American only stores). I was thinking about checking Costco as I don't know many people who buy video games there.

Shoppers Drug Mart
The Source
Staples

The Source and Staples were selling 8 gigs last night on their website.

http://www.rttnews.com/2007798/nint...orders-ahead-of-weekend-release.aspx?type=gag

How it's possible, when we are at less than two days from the launch, to write so many bullshits?

I'm wondering, is it really ignorance and stupidity, or deliberate misinformation. Anyway good move not to sign this great piece of journalism.

Link not working and i cant find no sign of the article on the site, hopefully taken down already

TriGen

EDIT - The news is no longer on the site..... but i've saved this piece of sh..... ehm journalism

Wow, glad you caught it. I don't see why they don't look at wikipedia before writing.

For people wondering it said that the Wii U was a handheld device used independently with your existing Wii.

Stewox

Banned
I can't reveal the name, but a branded "next gen" game that some people thought couldn't run on Wii U seems to be in development for the system :p

Even if downscaling the engine may be employed, it shouldn't be to a point the developers behind wouldn't recognize what they envisioned for their game visually.

So it's a really promising news about the viability, the future proof aspect, of the system (along with other data we got like Shin'en comments on their NotEnoughShaders interview).

HYPE BEFORE LAUNCH GUYS ! :D

Let me guess ... Crysis 3

If i guessed correct, they should get me free copy haha!

ElRenoRaven

That honestly doesn't surprise me. It really doesn't. I remember some pretty screwed up articles before the launch of every console. Some press just honestly don't know a goddamn thing and they spew crap just to get some story out there without even checking their facts. It never fails to happen.

toon_link

So I missed my flight back home this morning, and had to reschedule for tomorrow. Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to get in line for a midnight launch seeing as I should arrive home tomorrow at around 8 pm. Maybe I can get my brother to wait in line for me. I'm not even sure how long the line will be since I havent seen too many advertisements, then again I dont watch alot of tv.

I wonder how many systems best buy will have anyways, since on the website it says that the first 50 people get a free wiiu sinch sack

They should be fired for that.

It's one thing if a silly soccer mom doesn't know what it is but a journalist???

Use your goddamn head or take some time to know what you are writing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom