• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
so.

whenever I try to open a game or the settings menu, my Wii U crashes and powers off. this is since the update last night. I am guessing that my only recourse is to contact Nintendo.

not. happy.

web browser, store, miiverse still work. notifications, settings, disc or hard drive based games do not.

so.

whenever I try to open a game or the settings menu, my Wii U crashes and powers off. this is since the update last night. I am guessing that my only recourse is to contact Nintendo.

not. happy.

web browser, store, miiverse still work. notifications, settings, disc or hard drive based games do not.

I would call Support

nickcv

so.

not. happy.

i hoped they'd test the damn update for at least a couple of days before releasing it...

wonder what variable may be causing the problem.

Mistle

I have no hard copies of my Wii U games, and am hoping to never have any. I love not having to swap discs to run a game, and not having to go to the store to buy a game (I don't have Nintendoland because I bought the Basic set - didn't want Nintendoland).

I would love to do this but I can always get games cheaper physically, so I'm a bit tight :/ lol

Seems like everybody who has it loves it and everybody who doesn't hates it

Sorry to burst your bubble, but my friend and I both waited at launch to get ours, and this is definitely the least excited either of us have been about a new console. It's an underwhelming product all around.

yep, and every time i see it i keep thinking that it really looks like some bad photoshop job

That's because it is a render, not a photograph.

Has anybody actually seen a real picture of this third party frankentroller?

I was a hair's breadth away from including the word "alleged" in the above question.

edit: render or artist's rendition, I mean

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder how the messages are chosen for the plaza. You'll never know if your Mii has appeared on someone's system on the other side of the globe.

Marco1

As much as I sold my 360 to buy a wiiu, te most disappointing thing for me is the performance of the multi-plats.
This thing should be running batman:ac and assassin creed 3 1080p no problem.
I'm going to wait until next Christmas and hopefully the usual Nintendo suspects will have arrived, only problem is that so will next box and PS4.
Nintendo, you fucked up.

SO!

While I was on the phone with Nintendo a friend of mine found this thread:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/81351#81351

someone complaining about the setting menu making their system power off. I removed my SD card (as they had) and it fixed it. I gave Nintendo a bunch of information which they are going to pass onto their engineers.

So relieved. So glad to have helped them get to the bottom of it too.

Two more days for me.

Found out the biggest mall in my city of 215,000 has 24 premium and 12 basic sets up for grabs on Saturday.

Looks like it's going to be ugly. Hopefully they restock as speedily here as they seem to have been in the US/UK.

If i had to be nit picky one of the things that annoys me is the rumble in the gamepad. It's not that effective and makes a noise like someone has left a mobile phone on a table and set it to vibrate.

Kind of wish they didn't bother with it

HECK

YES

Xmas came early, boys.
omLAOm.jpg

pswii60

Just to clarify...

If I buy eShop games and my Wii U breaks, gets stolen, or whatever... do I just call Nintendo and get all the licenses transferred to a new console? Or is it not that simple?

Mistle

If i had to be nit picky one of the things that annoys me is the rumble in the gamepad. It's not that effective and makes a noise like someone has left a mobile phone on a table and set it to vibrate.

Better than the Wii's rumble. It's pretty lacklustre still, but I definitely prefer it to none.

GC was the best.

Just to clarify...

If I buy eShop games and my Wii U breaks, gets stolen, or whatever... do I just call Nintendo and get all the licenses transferred to a new console? Or is it not that simple?

I am so glad I did not have to find out the answer to this question today.

and get this, Boost challenges are now actually possible to complete in Sonic All Stars! what is this madness?

SO!

While I was on the phone with Nintendo a friend of mine found this thread:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/81351#81351

someone complaining about the setting menu making their system power off. I removed my SD card (as they had) and it fixed it. I gave Nintendo a bunch of information which they are going to pass onto their engineers.

So relieved. So glad to have helped them get to the bottom of it too.

so it was the SD card that caused you shut off? I have my SD in for Xenoblade and Skyward Swords no issues yet but I have not played Wii mode since last week

VICI0US

Question: Is there any way to reset software without closing the game, going back to the home menu, and relaunching the game entirely?

I know the wii had a "Reset Software" button in addition to "Wii Menu" when you pressed home but the only option on the wii-u seems to be to close the game entirely.

pswii60

Better than the Wii's rumble. It's pretty lacklustre still, but I definitely prefer it to none.

GC was the best.

I disagree, I've disabled the rumble on the GamePad. It is indeed noisy like a mobile phone and there's barely any rumble at all. Really not sure what Nintendo was thinking - I'm assuming it's due to some patent avoidance.

Im supprised no one has really brought up my favorite part of the direct today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX4JyftL9VY

Easily the most impressive and aesthetically pleasing game I have seen on the Wii-u yet. It seems like they kept out some of the most demanding graphical levels out of the E3 versions on purpose. The texture quality at some places like the stump at the end are just awesome too.

Hopefully these delays are truly improving the quality of the game, but I am happy with what I have seen so far.

majik13

yeah, it is poor, I mostly only notice it in BLOPS when firing a gun, Its more of a phone vibration than rumble. It is pretty loud too.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I just got two hard locks while surfing Youtube, which is by the way a great app, loving the fact my big screen can stream Roxy Music videos...deleted and redownloaded it, hopefully that fixes it

anyway, I'm loving, loving, loving the console. Miiverse is brilliant, the Plaza is fantastic and the Upad screen is actually very, very good. No complaints from me yet (besides the Youtube issues)

and just bought Trine 2 and Nano Assault, to go along with NintendoLand and NSMBU. eShop is fast and painless, feels good man

PhantomR

Banned
So!

I have a nice fat $50 in my eShop wallet and it's looking to be spent. I'm debating between three games:

Darksiders II
Scribblenauts Unlimted
Ninja Gaiden

What do you think, NintendoGAF?

My current library:

NSMBU
Nintendoland
Sega & Sonic All-Star racing
FIFA 13
Nano Assault Neo
Trine 2
Mighty Switch Force

braves01

Banned
So!

I have a nice fat $50 in my eShop wallet and it's looking to be spent. I'm debating between three games:

Darksiders II
Scribblenauts Unlimted
Ninja Gaiden

My current library:

NSMBU
Nintendoland
FIFA 13
Nano Assault Neo
Trine 2
Mighty Switch Force

Scribblenauts was $35 a few weeks ago at retail, so I'd wait and see if you can get that price again. No idea about the other two.

So!

Darksiders II
Scribblenauts Unlimted
Ninja Gaiden

My current library:

NSMBU
Nintendoland
FIFA 13
Nano Assault Neo
Trine 2
Mighty Switch Force

I have everything you have on both lists

I would say Darksiders II

not saying I'm enjoying it more than Ninja Gaiden with the DLCs coming and all. I just think THQ deserves a break

PhantomR

Banned
I have everything you have on both lists

I would say Darksiders II

not saying I'm enjoying it more than Ninja Gaiden with the DLCs coming and all. I just think THQ deserves a break

Hmm.....I'm not a charity, lol. I mean, I'm willing to help devs out and whatnot if the content is good. If Darksiders II is good, then yeah no problem.

EDIT:

This!
get Darksiders II

Okay, now I'm intrigued. Over Ninja Gaiden, even?

Mrbob

THQ is going down in flames, regardless. Don't base your purchasing decision on giving THQ charity.

Darksiders 2 is decent. Depends on what kind of game you want. Darksiders is lighter action with some lewt involved. Ninja Gaiden is more of a hardcore, challenging action experience. Though it has a fair share of issues itself.

Personally, I'd buy Warriors Orochi 3 over both those games (You also can unlock Ryu and Ayane in it!). But that's just me! Probably the most underrated Wii U launch game (I own it on PS3. Core experience is the same.). Has tons of content.

Hmm.....I'm not a charity, lol. I mean, I'm willing to help devs out and whatnot if the content is good. If Darksiders II is good, then yeah no problem.

EDIT:

Okay, now I'm intrigued. Over Ninja Gaiden, even?

I find the fights in Darksiders II more satisfying but I suck at NG so don't take my word for it

so much more badassery going on in Darksiders but you can't make breasts jiggle by shaking your gamepad

gkryhewy

Anyone know why my homescreen would be showing the generic icons and miis again rather than the launch game communities and miiverse popups?

Zakkath

Is my system update downloading right now ?

I just don't know. I went to the system settings, clicked on system update. It popped 2 buttons on the gamepad : cancel and update. I clicked update and nothing's been happenning for the passed hour. I don't see any download progress, pressing Home does nothing, nor does cancel or update... So, I see posts everywhere on the web that say to not turn off the console or it will brick. Thing is, I don't even know if the update had started or not...

Help ?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Is my system update downloading right now ?

I just don't know. I went to the system settings, clicked on system update. It popped 2 buttons on the gamepad : cancel and update. I clicked update and nothing's been happenning for the passed hour. I don't see any download progress, pressing Home does nothing, nor does cancel or update... So, I see posts everywhere on the web that say to not turn off the console or it will brick. Thing is, I don't even know if the update had started or not...

Help ?

press HOME and click on the last icon, "Download management". Took me a while, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom