• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oatmeal

Banned
I was just playing it, I think it's a great game, now that they've fixed it. It feels like a mix of Ourun, Hydro Thunder, and...some flying game :) With a dash of Mario Kart. And the Wii U version is the best platform for once!

Wii U is the best version?

How's multiplayer?

Wii U is the best version?

How's multiplayer?

Yeah, Wii U has a slightly more stable framerate than the other two platforms, plus it has two multiplayer modes that aren't in the other versions (because they are designed for the Gamepad) and of course the ability to play the game on just the Gamepad. Plus the ability to play 5 player local multiplayer, or two player without split screen.

As for the multiplayer, I haven't played it a lot (I'm more of a single-player racer guy) but the few times I've played it's worked well for me. Other people have mentioned having problems with it (on all platforms).

Alcibiades

Uh, it's not happening for another 39 hours.

woops, I thought the launch was December 6th for some reason... I've been hyping myself up the last couple of hours and wondering why there hasn't been more posting on this...

ugh, now to dehype myself...

edit: and now I see that I read too fast through your post about trying to pick up a 3DS at midnight and not a Wii U as I'd read it, which only helped confirm launch was hours away - although if I'd actually checked it is actually afternoon in Japan now and launch would have been hours ago... hyped myself up for no reason just now...

PhantomR

Banned
If I was a Japanese Nintendo fan, I would be PISSED that the WiiU came out in the US, Europe, Australia and even New Zealand before it came out in it's home country.

Yeah, I'm sure Japanese fans will be weeping over their copies of:

Bravely Default
Project X Zone
Dragon Quest X
Fatal Frame
Captain Rainbow
Mother 3
Etc etc

Kokonoe

Banned
You fellows were correct, Nintendo's customer service is pretty good.

I sent it in the mail late Saturday, and they received it on Wednesday. They did UPS Blue so I'm going to get my Game Pad back on Friday. All it needed was a new L button from a defect it had, but it says the repair bill is 85$ so I take it they gave me a brand new Game Pad.

Rich!

Yeah I've been curious about Sonic Racing too. Almost got it today tbh but couldn't completely convince myself.

Shame it's not 60fps! 30fps racing games take a bit of a blow imo. But I'm sure it's still fun.

30fps or not, its quite simply the best fun racer I've played in years. This gen's Diddy Kong racing.

Sooooo glad I brought it. And gamepad only play is brilliant.

You fellows were correct, Nintendo's customer service is pretty good.

I sent it in the mail late Saturday, and they received it on Wednesday. They did UPS Blue so I'm going to get my Game Pad back on Friday. All it needed was a new L button from a defect it had, but it says the repair bill is 85$ so I take it they gave me a brand new Game Pad.

That's normally how launch repairs are done. Send out replacements, worry about repairs later.

Rich!

One thing the Wii U has made me realise is just how little time I have with the TV nowadays. Between my daughter and my girlfriend and work, im lucky to get an hour to play a game on the TV.

The gamepad has changed all that. Being able to pick it up and start playing a console game, anywhere in my home, is so ridiculously conveinient its unreal.

Downside is, I have has barely any time to play Zombi U. Ah well. At least I have Sonic.

So I decided im going all digital.

I took the bold move of trading in Nintendo Land at GAME for GBP 30.00, which I put towards two GBP 15.00 eshop cards.

I then got home and bought Nintendo Land off the eshop, putting GBP 20.00 towards it from my bank card.

I left it to download over night and when I switched on this morning, the game had completely installed. My save from the disk was also carried over onto the digital version, which was a nice surprise.

Ps

My Wii U is noticeably slower since the second system update.

NateDrake

I'm sort of considering Batman AC for Wii U. I played some of the game on PS3 but it took forever to load the map and I slowly found myself playing other games and haven't gone back to it.

Is the performance good enough to consider a rental on Wii U? The map on the GamePad solves my main issue.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I was a Japanese Nintendo fan, I would be PISSED that the WiiU came out in the US, Europe, Australia and even New Zealand before it came out in it's home country.
And then you remind them of the difference between the GCN launches for Japan and Europe.

I'm surprised that Launch-Euro and Launch-Japan threads of some sort didn't happen this time around. This is the first home system since 2006 where is the hype?

This is a catch all thread.

hongcha

For Japanese GAF-ers who want one, Amazon Japan has all three models in stock for preorder now (even the MH3 bundle). Guess some people cancelled preorders right before the launch.

Marco1

My deluxe wiiu has been dispatched my amazon.
Are there any hardware defects I should watch out for when it arrives tomorrow?
Thanks.

King_Moc

Banned
I have the sonic racing game arriving today. Disappointed to hear it's 30fps. I'm sure it's still good, but i think racing games are most affected by lower frame rates.

Any opinions on the Wii U exclusive modes? I know next to nothing about the game.

Javier

So, since me and my brother will be using the Wii U, each on his own account, does the system create a save file for each game and app separately for every account?

Does anyone else notice the JPEG-like compression that causes slight arficats to show up around high-contrast edges on the Gamepad? I swear now that I've noticed it, I can not unnotice it! ...It kind of annoys me. :/

netBuff

Does anyone else notice the JPEG-like compression that causes slight arficats to show up around high-contrast edges on the Gamepad? I swear now that I've noticed it, I can not unnotice it! ...It kind of annoys me. :/

That's the video compression you are noticing, perfectly normal.

Rich!

That's an artifact of the streaming codec the gamepad uses. Can't avoid it! But either way, the tech is incredible.

nickcv

So, since me and my brother will be using the Wii U, each on his own account, does the system create a save file for each game and app separately for every account?

it's up to the dev
NSMBU has a unified system (3 save slots across all accounts)
Zombi U has a save for each account
Nintendoland has a single unified save (doesn't really need one for account, progress are linked to the mii you use in each game)

Pikma

Banned
Can't believe the difference it can make being able to play games on gamepad-only mode, this is the best U feature so far for me, from now on I'll have to consider getting games that don't support this, unless, of course, they bring something original to the table, like ZombiU.

Mistle

Just ordered Sonic Racing from ozgameshop for $46! That site is so fantastic for Australians, can't recommend it enough. Approx 2 weeks shipping, but the savings are usually worth it. Sometimes Kmart or BigW will have a similar deal for popular titles, but most of the time it's the cheapest.

I'm really excited! I always sink so many hours into kart-style racing games, especially when they're online. And plus they always create great local multiplayer memories. After watching a few videos and reading reviews, it just looks like it'll be a blast. The graphics and levels look so good. I doubt I'll play as anyone other than Vyse, too :p

btrboyev

Consoles have taken a huge step back to portable gaming in Japan. It's been in decline all this past gen.

Kacho

Gold Member
It's been a bit less than 12 hours since I started using the Wii U, but thus far my experience has been fantastic. At this point, some of the impressions I've heard from various gaming media outlets seem a little too harsh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's been a bit less than 12 hours since I started using the Wii U, but thus far my experience has been fantastic. At this point, some of the impressions I've heard from various gaming media outlets seem a little too harsh.

They were all upset that the average consumer got the full system features on the same day as they did.

Pikma

Banned
They were all upset that the average consumer got the full system features on the same day as they did.

And Nintendo killed some of their traffic with the first unboxing video coming from Legowata himself, a day before they were allowed to do it, hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom