• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

For me: you should be excited that one of the next-gen platforms is *potentially* a haven for development of classic console gaming & Japanese game design at reasonable budgets. Or at least, that's one of the reasons I'm excited. Opiate makes a very good case for this in the Bayonetta 2 thread.

You should be excited that Nintendo is launching the very first next generation console, despite no games at launch demonstrating any visually noticeable leap, of any kind, in processing power.

You should be excited at the thrilling launch line-up which includes Nintendo's mini-game compilation, another 2D Mario, and a bunch of third party ports you played on your Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC one to six months ago.

ZombiU looks pretty good.

The end.

Also known as:
Its got a bunch of really good games and a survival horror game thats shaping up to be one of the best horror games in recent years. You'll find a lot to enjoy at retail and download. If your worried about an early drought until more Nintendo and the already announced third party games like Rayman and The Wonderful 101 - then there is a collection of third party ports available although they will have varied quality (wait for reviews) and a wide selection of Digital games to keep you playing.

Hype rising

ZombiU does look great, but I'm gonna wait for multiple impressions from gaffers. Can't say I'm excited about any of the other games all that much aside from NSMB U. What eShop games will be out at launch?

Nano Assault Neo
Little Inferno
Trine 2
Chasing Aurora
Mighty Switch Force

Linkhero1

For me: you should be excited that one of the next-gen platforms is *potentially* a haven for development of classic console gaming & Japanese game design at reasonable budgets. Or at least, that's one of the reasons I'm excited. Opiate makes a very good case for this in the Bayonetta 2 thread.

Actually, this gets me excited. I was talking to my cousin about how we might see more of this with the Wii U and I really hope we do. Hype rising slowly.

Also known as:
Its got a bunch of really good games and a survival horror game thats shaping up to be one of the best horror games in recent years. You'll find a lot to enjoy at retail and download. If your worried about an early drought until more Nintendo and the already announced third party games like Rayman and The Wonderful 101 - then there is a collection of third party ports available although they will have varied quality (wait for reviews) and a wide selection of Digital games to keep you playing.

I have most of those third party games already, so I'm not too excited for launch. I will definitely pick up Sonic Racing, Tekken Tag, NSMBU and eventually ZombiU. If Rayman and Wonderful 101 were launch games I wouldn't have made my post, but I'm excited for those two after getting a chance to play them.

Little Fucking Inferno.

Any gameplay? I've heard of it, but haven't seen it.

Nano Assault Neo
Little Inferno
Trine 2
Chasing Aurora
Mighty Switch Force
Day 1

mernst23

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for shopping at Toys"R"Us and Babies"R"Us!

We wanted to inform you that we have not yet received inventory on your Wii U Black Deluxe Set Hardwar pre-order which was expected in-store on November 18th, 2012. We will send you a follow-up email once this item is available and ready for pickup.

Hey look, good thing I preordered one at gamestop too just in case some bullshit like this was going to happen.

hiryu64

Dunno if this has been answered already, but is it possible to use the audio jack on the bottom of the controller to output to a headset regardless of whether the game is outputting to a TV screen? Like, could I be playing ZombiU on the TV and listen to game audio through headphones plugged in to the controller?

So at this point I'll be rolling with the internal storage of my deluxe until black friday. Given all the uncertainty stuff about self-powered USB drives vs bus-powered, and the reformatting stuff we've heard, I'll transfer from internal to external after clarity.

In the days following release, I'm curious to see whether people can develop any partition-related work arounds

Zing

Banned
God... I regret not pre-ordering, I finally today realized there is indeed hype around the console and its going to be sold out.

Went to EBGames and Walmart today, neither were taking anymore pre orders... Anyone have any advice on how to snag one launch day? I live in British Colombia Canada (so you don't name American only stores). I was thinking about checking Costco as I don't know many people who buy video games there.

Edit: Do stores sell their stock as 100% preorders, or could I go to best buy when it opens and they would have stock? Both employees I talked to at EBGames/Walmart had no idea.

Futureshop and Best Buy in Ontario are still taking in-store preorders for the basic model.

I'm sure if you don't mind the basic model, you will be able to walk in to either store and buy one off the shelf.

Uhhh, wha? This is definitely on my radar now, thanks. Seeing that it's from the World of Goo braintrust is a big plus.

Yeah, I can't see it being low quality at all even if it's really out there and shrouded in mystery.

All I heard is that it's really cool but people that played it refrain from explaining hardly anything about it as it will spoil it.

All I know without even playing it is the music will be godly.

suaveric

NewEgg now lists the Pro Controller as coming out 12/31/12. I hope that just means they've sold out of their first shipment and not that they have no shipment at all.

Nester

You should be excited that Nintendo is launching the very first next generation console, despite no games at launch demonstrating any visually noticeable leap, of any kind, in processing power.

You should be excited at the thrilling launch line-up which includes Nintendo's mini-game compilation, another 2D Mario, and a bunch of third party ports you played on your Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC one to six months ago.

ZombiU looks pretty good.

The end.

EatChildren
I am not yet Amir0x.
(Today, 10:19 AM)

Getting close, though.

Yeah, I can't see it being low quality at all even if it's really out there and shrouded in mystery.

All I heard is that it's really cool but people that played it refrain from explaining hardly anything about it as it will spoil it.

All I know without even playing it is the music will be godly.

Agreed.

Hey look, good thing I preordered one at gamestop too just in case some bullshit like this was going to happen.

I just got this same email. Seen it on a few other sites as well. Hoping this is just standard protocol on preorders and the Wii U systems aren't actually coming in until tomorrow to make sure to avoid any being sold early.

Does anyone who works in any stores that are getting the Wii U know if they have come in yet?

Social

Dunno if this has been answered already, but is it possible to use the audio jack on the bottom of the controller to output to a headset regardless of whether the game is outputting to a TV screen? Like, could I be playing ZombiU on the TV and listen to game audio through headphones plugged in to the controller?

Yes!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I don't think we've heard anything aside from the Rayman demo being there day one.

Really. Is that it.

I've pre-ordered my WiiU but I hope Nintendo pick up the ball pretty quickly when it comes o this stuff. We've been spoiled by huge amount of demos available on PS360.

I was under the impression the data sharing was handled by Ubisoft in this instance, and not Miiverse.

me too, but there's a slim chance that the journalists saying otherwise didn't just pull it out of their ass. no, I am not being sarcastic when I say 'a slim chance'. I just mentioned it, because I've seen it described as happening via Miiverse by people who are probably just gibbering idiots, but who might actually be right for once.

Really. Is that it.

I've pre-ordered my WiiU but I hope Nintendo pick up the ball pretty quickly when it comes o this stuff. We've been spoiled by huge amount of demos available on PS360.

I'd love to see most of the launch window exclusives get a demo at launch. Even if it's old versions of the game. It's not going to happen though.

KTS2448

NewEgg now lists the Pro Controller as coming out 12/31/12. I hope that just means they've sold out of their first shipment and not that they have no shipment at all.

Newegg is failing me. I also bought Paper MArio 3D. Shipped a day late and with DHL so obviously I've yet to receive it. If I dont get my Pro controller next week then Im done with them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'd love to see most of the launch window exclusives get a demo at launch. Even if it's old versions of the game. It's not going to happen though.

Yes. I'm hoping to get a few titles and download a ton of demos to get me though the launch period.

hiryu64

So youse tellin' me...I can output video via HDMI to DVI on a monitor while using headphones plugged in to the controller? If so, that would be the best news in a while for me.

Also, can you provide a source on that? Not that I don't trust you, but I would like to see for myself.

iyox

Any word on BestBuy stock? The sales child, at the location I preordered, said they had plenty and would even have extra stock for walk-ins. Some of the comments about various places having stock issues has me worried.

A70xV8OCAAEnF8S.jpg

A71TPzQCYAAZFhx.jpg

cd3a4d9e2ffd11e2877022000a9f1278_7.jpg

A71ioH3CcAAh-9R.jpg
Big Head Mode activated

iammeiam

When does GameStop usually do its "We have your console for pickup tomorrow!"calls? I've never preordered from them in-store before; is it like mid-day Saturday or not until night that they'll call?

When is Nintendo going to make a New Legend of Zelda series?

I want a new game on consoles like Link to the Past. The same should be said for Metroid.

TriGen

When does GameStop usually do its "We have your console for pickup!"calls? I've never preordered from them in-store before; is it like mid-day Saturday or not until night that they'll call?

Depends on the store. A lot of people have gotten calls already, and usually get calls a few days early. My local GS has never called me until something has officially released, doesn't matter if it's a game or console. If they can't say you can pick this up right now! They don't bother. So it's possible you won't get a call until they open Sunday.

iammeiam

Depends on the store. A lot of people have gotten calls already, and usually get calls a few days early. My local GS has never called me until something has officially released, doesn't matter if it's a game or console. If they can't say you can pick this up right now! They don't bother. So it's possible you won't get a call until they open Sunday.

Oh, that sucks. I thought people used to refer to an automated system doing the callouts, didnt realize it was all manual. I preordered day one so figure I should be safe, but reports of stock shortage have me worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom