• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioHazard

I'm lining up some point today with my streetpass friends, I have a preorder and I think most people in line already (it's not too long yet) do too, so I'd expect you'd be okay if you get there early on Saturday.
Actually: I recant that, the line is bigger than I expected. Maybe you should go stop by today to find out or something.

Alright, cool. The earliest I can start lining up in early on Sat. I'll stop by and check out the length of the line then. This could be my first midnight console launch! :D How can I be prepared? Oh god how am I going to get food without losing my place in line :/

TriGen

Oh, that sucks. I thought people used to refer to an automated system doing the callouts, didnt realize it was all manual. I preordered day one so figure I should be safe, but reports of stock shortage have me worried.

Like I said, depends on the store. Some might not be manual, and you might here sooner. I'll probably be at the store by time they go to call me.

Alright, cool. The earliest I can start lining up in early on Sat. I'll stop by and check out the length of the line then. This could be my first midnight console launch! :D How can I be prepared? Oh god how am I going to get food without losing my place in line :/
Good luck! Um, dress warm, bring a portable chair or something if you can carry it/pack it away, bring your 3ds(if applicable) and as for food, make friends with the people on line with you so they hold your spot. =D also make sure you're around whenever they hand out bracelets or whatever, heh

Just called my Gamestop, they're not doing a midnight release... Too bad I'm going to buy all my games from Wal-Mart at midnight now instead of from them.

Is there a list of what games will be available on the e-Shop?

I am interested in ZombiU but I don't plan on buying another disc based game in my life if I can avoid it.

Jarsonot

Just called my Gamestop, they're not doing a midnight release... Too bad I'm going to buy all my games from Wal-Mart at midnight now instead of from them.

Yup. Best Buy has my business from now on. They take trade-ins and by having a midnight launch have shown me they'll make me a happier customer.

Too bad I'm going to buy all my games from Wal-Mart at midnight now instead of from them.

It's deliciously fucked up isn't it? They're the biggest gaming specific retailer and they have midnight launches for just about everything that people show even a remote amount of interest in-- but not a brand new gaming console. And I have a feeling that the next Playstation and Xbox will undoubtedly have midnight launches.

I wonder if it has something to do with it coming out on a Sunday instead of the middle of the week, or some kind of technical thing like that. Or maybe Gamestop has a bad relationship with Nintendo. No idea.

Downhome

My GS isn't doing a midnight launch, and they are opening normally at 11am as well. Blah.

Not even the Best Buy here in town is doing a midnight launch though.

I have no clue why either. I've bought plenty of Nintendo products at midnight launches from Game Stop on Saturday nights/Sunday mornings before. Heck, not just systems, but games as well. Off the top of my head is the last two Mario Galaxy games and the 3DS.

Misterhbk

It's deliciously fucked up isn't it? They're the biggest gaming specific retailer and they have midnight launches for just about everything that people show even a remote amount of interest in-- but not a brand new gaming console. And I have a feeling that the next Playstation and Xbox will undoubtedly have midnight launches.

I wonder if it has something to do with it coming out on a Sunday instead of the middle of the week, or some kind of technical thing like that. Or maybe Gamestop has a bad relationship with Nintendo. No idea.

The next Xbox and Playstation won't release on a Sunday so yes they'll have midnight launches.

There is no conspiracy against Nintendo. GameStop is in the business of making money, but payroll ends on Sundays and having midnight launches on Sundays gives chance to some employees getting overtime. GameStop doesn't want that. It's pretty simple really. That said, there are plenty of stores doing midnight launches. It's on a store by store basis. I know my local GameStop is doing one.

I'm gonna grab my Wii U from Walmart, drive across the lot to the GameStop, grab my games then go home and sleep. I'll wake up to a brand new console and have fun fooling around with it :)

GringoJB

That actually ties into one of the reasons that I was told regarding a lack of midnight launch at my own GameStop: They had already paid to staff the BLOPS midnight launch and they didn't want to do another one :-( It's in a mall, so there's probably other concerns, too (paying for the mall to be open, mall cops to be present, etc)

crpav

I propose we change all new releases of all games and all systems to be released on Fridays. This way you get it on the day before the weekend and can play all weekend. Who doesn't like Fridays? Well some may hate them but still....

There is no conspiracy against Nintendo. GameStop is in the business of making money, but payroll ends on Sundays and having midnight launches on Sundays gives chance to some employees getting overtime. GameStop doesn't want that. It's pretty simple really. That said, there are plenty of stores doing midnight launches. It's on a store by store basis. I know my local GameStop is doing one.

I see, that makes enough sense. They're definitely strict about their hours.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a list of what games will be available on the e-Shop?

I am interested in ZombiU but I don't plan on buying another disc based game in my life if I can avoid it.
I updated the OP with a link to the following press release: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20121116005392/en/Nintendo’s-Wii-Console-Introduces-Play

Games: Wii U is launching with 29 packaged games, plus a handful of digital games, marking the largest launch lineup in Nintendo history. Nintendo-published games available on launch day include Nintendo Land™, New Super Mario Bros. ™ U, SiNG PARTY™ and NINJA GAIDEN™ 3: Razor’s Edge. Third-party publishers also will have an amazing array of games available on launch day, such as Just Dance® 4, Assassin’s Creed® III and ZombiU™ from Ubisoft, Skylanders Giants™ and Call of Duty®: Black Ops II from Activision Publishing, Inc., Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two from Disney Interactive, EA SPORTS™ FIFA Soccer 13 and Madden NFL 13 from Electronic Arts, NBA 2K13 from 2K Sports and Batman: Arkham City™ Armored Edition and Scribblenauts™ Unlimited from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. A number of these titles will also be available for purchase digitally in the Nintendo eShop alongside a strong launch-day lineup of downloadable digital-only games, including Little Inferno from Tomorrow Corporation, Trine 2™: Director’s Cut from Frozenbyte, Chasing Aurora from Broken Rules, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition from WayForward and Nano Assault NEO from Shin’en. Wii U owners can expand the storage capacity of their systems by adding their own USB external hard disc drives. Downloadable content for select games, such as additional levels or maps, will roll out in December following a system update. Wii U is backward compatible with almost all Wii™ games and Wii accessories.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Midnight launches cost money outside of standard operation. They require staff exist who will actually do the midnight launch, staff be paid (would not be surprising to see them paid extra), and they require staff be paid during the additional between time from the usual scheduled closing hour and the end of the midnight launch, unless they plan to close and re-open at midnight.

On top of this, they need to factor in the far fewer consumers in the store during these ours, netting a lower profit-per-hour working time than the usual opening hours. If Wii U shipments are low, say ~20 per store, then that's only ~20 customers in a store at midnight picking up their systems. And all staff must still be paid.

It sucks, because I'd like to go get my Wii U at midnight like I did the Wii, but it's really not surprising. Black Ops II got a midnight launch because it's much, much bigger than a new console launch. It's more profitable by a larger margin. At the store I'm heading to, the 3DS did not have a midnight launch, and neither did the Vita. The Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4 will or won't depending on shipment numbers and consumer demand.

It's nice to want a midnight launch from the perspective of a gamer celebrating a new console, but fact of the matter is these stores are businesses first and foremost, no exception. Having a midnight launch costs them money, and if the books don't even out by the end, there's really no point when they can just open at the usual hours the next day.

TriGen

Mine told me it's because they only had 20 pre-orders and didn't want to open for 20 people.

That's the odd reason. My GS was open for the 360 launch and they only had 7 360's total. I think it's the Sunday thing, plus the fact that Nintendo released in November after they already had multiple midnight openings. Still sucks, though.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Can't wait for Saturday night. Got mine from Wal-mart so I'm all set. Shouldn't be too many back at layaway either so even if I'm not first in line I won't have any problems.

On top of this, they need to factor in the far fewer consumers in the store during these ours, netting a lower profit-per-hour working time than the usual opening hours. If Wii U shipments are low, say ~20 per store, then that's only ~20 customers in a store at midnight picking up their systems. And all staff must still be paid.

Yeah, when I was teasing the manager about it, he was like "sorry dude, can't really find a reason to open at midnight to sell Wii U's to the two people that have asked me about it."

It burned like hot coal.

Midnight launches cost money outside of standard operation. They require staff exist who will actually do the midnight launch, staff be paid (would not be surprising to see them paid extra), and they require staff be paid during the additional between time from the usual scheduled closing hour and the end of the midnight launch, unless they plan to close and re-open at midnight.

It sucks, because I'd like to go get my Wii U at midnight like I did the Wii, but it's really not surprising. Black Ops II got a midnight launch because it's much, much bigger than a new console launch. It's more profitable by a larger margin. At the store I'm heading to, the 3DS did not have a midnight launch, and neither did the Vita. The Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4 will or won't depending on shipment numbers and consumer demand.

It's nice to want a midnight launch from the perspective of a gamer celebrating a new console, but fact of the matter is these stores are businesses first and foremost, no exception. Having a midnight launch costs them money, and if the books don't even out by the end, there's really no point when they can just open at the usual hours the next day.

They close down the store for an hour to get ready. Use the salaried manager and two game advisers who are paid minimum wage who haven't hit 40 hours a week.

Labor price is a scapegoat.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They close down the store for an hour to get ready. Use the salaried manager and two game advisers who are paid minimum wage who haven't hit 40 hours a week.

Labor price is a scapegoat.

Or in the case of Australia where I pre-ordered, they close down for three hours, or stay open for three hours, ensure the security guard is employed to cover the additional time, and pay enough workers to cover the entire store, none of which on minimum wage, for the midnight opening hours.

Link0080

I'm looking at Best Buys site and when looking in Check Stores it says the availability is "In Store Only" in a few stores in my area, does this mean I can go right now and pre order at the store?

codhand

6vxGS.jpg

scribblenauts, serious business

Its-Happening.gif

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'll check out Wal-Mart tomorrow to see if they're actually going to allow layaway pick-ups at midnight. I'm honestly expecting to have to wait until 9am Sunday.

MicH

Someone in the Pickup thread found a shop who sold him the Wii U early! So goddamn jealous and I have to wait another TWO WEEKS :(

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I'm not really a fan of midnight launches. By the time you get home it's around 1 and I'm usually dead tired. I like waking up on Sundays knowing I can pick it up whenever I want.

Get this, I work at a Wal-Mart Supercenter that is... not open 24/7. We open at 6am, and the only other retailer around here is Gamestop who isn't having a midnight launch. Nobody 'round here getting a Wii U at midnight!

Newegg is failing me. I also bought Paper MArio 3D. Shipped a day late and with DHL so obviously I've yet to receive it. If I dont get my Pro controller next week then Im done with them.

Yeah Newegg is dropping the ball hardcore with game releases. I emailed them and complained hopefully more people do.

(would not be surprising to see them paid extra),

I worked retail for a long time. I worked the midnight launches of the Xbox, GC, Xbox 360, and DS. They don't pay you a single penny extra for working a midnight launch.

AzerPhire

I'm looking at Best Buys site and when looking in Check Stores it says the availability is "In Store Only" in a few stores in my area, does this mean I can go right now and pre order at the store?

You would have to call or go to each store to see if they are either doing pre-orders or will have extra on launch day. The online inventory reflects that yes they do have consoles in store but they may be all spoken for from pre-orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom