• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirk

Just checked at my best buy they have my online preorder ready to pick up... at 12am sunday!!! They are doing a midnight launch. Hype!!

Ashler

Has anyone asked (in the GT Live stream) whether the Wii U can handle allocating just a partition on external disks without taking control of the entire disk?

Has anyone asked (in the GT Live stream) whether the Wii U can handle allocating just a partition on external disks without taking control of the entire disk?

Heh, that would be awesome, but I don't see any Nintendo UI offering that kind of technical options. We can try some partition magic after the Wii U formats your hard drive to resize the WiiU partition and create a secondary partition with a different filesystem, but even that I don't think is going to work.

Ashler

Heh, that would be awesome, but I don't see any Nintendo UI offering that kind of technical options. We can try some partition magic after the Wii U formats your hard drive to resize the WiiU partition and create a secondary partition with a different filesystem, but even that I don't think is going to work.

I was thinking the other way around. Creating two partitions in windows, connecting to the Wii U and selecting only one for the Wii U to use as Data storage.

majik13

Didnt the Nintendo Direct say partitions will not work?

Effect

Saw something interesting in GameStop today. Some games were priced at $50 instead of $60. Batman was one of them. As was Tekken. Not sure if it was just this GameStop or all of them though. Which is good if that's the case.

Mine also is opening at it's normal time on Sunday. Which I'm fine with. Double checked as well that I'll be getting my system. As long as I had a preorder I was fine. Will still get there early though as I'm doing nothing that morning.

Ashler

Ops.. Needs system update. we need this DAY 1 Nintendo... !

I'm sure it will be available once the on-line services are too.

Nuklear

Banned
Just called my Gamestop, they're not doing a midnight release... Too bad I'm going to buy all my games from Wal-Mart at midnight now instead of from them.

Please guys if you have Twitter please make sure to send a tweet to @Gamestop to voice your displeasure. A lot of companies hate seeing negative tweets hopefully Gamestop is one of those companies. Sending a negative tweet even gets Comcast off their butts most of the time. It certainly can't hurt.

Didnt the Nintendo Direct say partitions will not work?

Oh, for sure the WiiU is going to wipe the drive's partition table when formatting it on its filesystem, but I was hoping the partition table is standard so I can use Partition Magic afterwards and resize the WiiU partition to make room for a NTFS/FAT32 secondary partition. But I have the feeling that either the partition table is not going to be standard or the WiiU is going to make sure there are no other partitions in the table every time it mounts the drive.

TheGrue

AGITΩ;44422208 said:
I'm loving some of the dude bro comments I hear while camped out.
"cant believe their camping out for a controller addon"
"the wii's been out for like a year already"

Sadly, this goes to show the confusion in the marketplace about this thing. GAFers know the facts, but the random people who aren't tuned into the video game scene don't get what this thing is.

J.W.Crazy

I got a voicemail from GameStop today and the guy said they have my pre-order in and I can pick it up tomorrow (Saturday) at 11am. I tried to call back because I assume he just misspoke but it was busy. Has anyone else heard anything like this? I'd love to get it a day early but it seems unlikely.

Nuklear

Banned
Ops.. Needs system update. we need this DAY 1 Nintendo... !

I'm sure it will be available once the on-line services are too.

The controller will need to be charged so it's really no big deal to me. You're waiting regardless if you care at all about the controller's battery life.

I checked out the GameTrailers stream, and they just answered a question completely wrong - asked about the game disc capacity, he said it was just a dual-layer DVD, he specifically said it was NOT a 24GB Blu-Ray or anything like that.

JavyOO7

Since I ordered my Wii U deluxe from Walmart in person through their lay away department, do you guys think I can get it at 12:01 AM Sunday?

tkscz

About an hour and half late but:

dWMqH.jpg

I checked out the GameTrailers stream, and they just answered a question completely wrong - asked about the game disc capacity, he said it was just a dual-layer DVD, he specifically said it was NOT a 24GB Blu-Ray or anything like that.

Shane is wrong. Wii U discs have a capacity of 25 GB. Confirmed months ago by Nintendo.

Went in to make sure they had my system set aside at my Walmart (they do), but the lady really seemed on top of things she told me they were only able to take 4 preorders before it stopped them.

What surprised me was they are actually getting 24 extra units (didn't specify which) since this Walmart is in a tiny town in Southeast Texas.

Fox Mulder

So "if" someone gets homebrew working, would it be possible to have a "dolphin" type emulator to run Wii games in HD?

was there any reason why the wiiu can't play wii games in HD like an emulator that has been out for years can?

I skipped the wii, and would like to get Galaxy 1 and 2, but I want it in HD. I have a feeling Nintendo will sell HD versions compatible with the wiiu controller. They did put out a few "New Play Control" gamecube games for the Wii.

was there any reason why the wiiu can't play wii games in HD like an emulator that has been out for years can?

I skipped the wii, and would like to get Galaxy 1 and 2, but I want it in HD. I have a feeling Nintendo will sell HD versions compatible with the wiiu controller. They did put out a few "New Play Control" gamecube games for the Wii.

That's exactly what they'll do...they won't allow Wii games to be in HD, but they will release them all in sets or compilations or one at a time as "Mario Galaxy HD Collection", etc..

BY2K

Membero Americo
Facebook:

Retro Studios
Not only is November 18th the launch of the Wii U but, it marks the 10 year anniversary of Metroid Prime! HOOYAH!

RELEASE TRILOGY HD, FOR GOD'S SAKE!

antonz

Having not preordered at Walmart would I be able to go in at midnight and pick one up?

Its hard to say. Even though many Walmarts are getting excess they may decide to hold onto it for Black Friday. Console launches this time of the year the stores love because they can hold hostage inventory until then and have a big door buster

TriGen

That's exactly what they'll do...they won't allow Wii games to be in HD, but they will release them all in sets or compilations or one at a time as "Mario Galaxy HD Collection", etc..

I'd be fine with that. The Sony HD collections have been totally worth it in my opinion. If they add in GamePad support, all the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom