• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malvingt2

A Note on Wii U Reviews

Ah, the best laid plans...

As I mentioned in my last blog post, preparing for the launch of a console is attempting to make order out of chaos. And no matter what you do, something shows up to throw things out of sorts.

At this point we have most of the Wii U games - but not all of them. More importantly, however, is the fact that we still don't have an online service. And while we'd love to put all our faith in Nintendo, the fact that the publisher just delayed all of its video app services doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus, honestly, we just want to see how its online functionality works.

So for any game that has a significant multiplayer element - Madden, ACIII, Mass Effect, Tekken, etc. - we are holding the review until we've had time to at least confirm that its online service works, and that it works well. A couple games - like Mario - have such a small online presence (leaving messages in the overworld, etc.) that whether or not it's present wouldn't affect our overall impression - and therefore the review will go up.

Currently, here is what's published, what we expect to publish, and what we're holding for the coming days. (And to be honest, As always, this is a launch. Launches are hectic. Things can change.

PUBLISHED

Nintendo Land

New Super Mario Bros. U

Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge

COMING ON OR BEFORE LAUNCH

Scribblenauts Unlimited

ZombiU

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

Darksiders II

Wii U Hardware Review (Note: This will be a review-in-progress, updated throughout the weekend.)

eShop Launch Guide (checking out some of the downloadable titles that arrive on Day One)

HOLDING AFTER LAUNCH (BECAUSE INTERNETS)

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Tekken Tag Tournament II: Wii U Edition

Assassin's Creed III

Madden '13

Mass Effect 3

STILL IN-PROGRESS

Um. The rest.

= = =

It's an interesting thing, this console launch. You don't get games in time. You get games you can't make time for. You suddenly get more games than you can handle. Like I said. Chaos. But the above is the latest information we have, and now you have it. I'll be on Twitter (@RichIGN) most of the weekend, hopefully checking out the 'Day One' Update, providing you with any updates I have, and what surprises I discover.

So there you go - a quick update before launch weekend.

- Rich

http://www.ign.com/blogs/bullseye2/2012/11/16/a-note-on-wii-u-reviews/

PrimeRib_

One incoming from Gamestop and another via Best Buy in-store pickup. Hoping both pull through, because although my original intent was to sell one on eBay for potential profits, I instead have decided to play Santa to a close friend. His house was robbed 2 days ago. He has two younger daughters that lost their Wii, 2 DS's and all their games. Merry Christmas, brother.

antonz

One incoming from Gamestop and another via Best Buy in-store pickup. Hoping both pull through, because although my original intent was to sell one on eBay for potential profits, I instead have decided to play Santa to a close friend. His house was robbed 2 days ago. He has two younger daughters that lost their Wii, 2 DS's and all their games. Merry Christmas, brother.

That's awesome of you. I am sure they will light up brighter than a Christmas tree when they see it

LaneDS

Damn! My Gamestop preorder is still sitting at "open" while so many others have received emails as shipped. Just my luck.

Mine as well, and I preordered right when the GAF thread went up (one of the first replies, if that says anything).

Been waiting to talk to a customer service rep through their 1-800 number for 30 minutes now.

PrimeRib_

That's awesome of you. I am sure they will light up brighter than a Christmas tree when they see it

Even worse, he's been unemployed for the last 16 months. So he has little to no cash to burn. Great guy too. People that rob houses and steal kids toys and gaming consoles are complete dickholes.

xray49er

I have been looking everywhere. Can someone please tell me if Backround downloads are possible. Meaning can I que a download then do something else or will I be stuck with Mario running across screens during downloads. Thanks in advance.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Scribblenauts Unlimited Review is up on IGN

If you’ve skipped the series until now, start here. You’ll be floored at how much there is to show off. And if you’re the creative type, the Object Editor opens up endless possibilities. Scribblenauts Unlimited is an excellent Wii U launch title, even if it just feels like a glorified handheld title.

TriGen

Very cool of you. Nintendo and Christmas, a beautiful partnership. Reminds me of the old days when I got my N64.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have been looking everywhere. Can someone please tell me if Backround downloads are possible. Meaning can I que a download then do something else or will I be stuck with Mario running across screens during downloads. Thanks in advance.

I believe a home button menu option for managing your downloads has been shown. Background downloading? One would hope...

Just went and paid off the rest of my launch day stuff at Gamestop, also pre-ordered a copy of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed with some trade credit, the guy couldn't guarantee I would get on Sunday because it was in transit so we will see about that one :/

Fears were finally confirmed when I asked the guy if they were opening early on Sunday, and of course they aren't doing jack shit to accommodate the people they pretend to cater to with their stores. If it weren't for the fact that Gamestop is usually the most dependable for pre-orders on systems I would have dropped them long ago and never looked back.

antonz

I believe a home button menu option for managing your downloads has been shown. Background downloading? One would hope...

I think it was mentioned somewhere because I recall them saying you could push the home button to bring up the download status

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just double checked our local Gamestop - sunday morning opening at 11am, ah well. They did insinuate they've got all their stock for filling pre-orders, so we're covered. Pre-ordered a copy of NSMB U with trade-in credit while there.

I hope Sonic Racing is in on Sunday morning, that's my other planned pick-up in store.

Otherwise, waiting on Newegg to charge for ZombiU and Darksiders II.

Two more sleeps, then into the 8th generation we go.

Just called Walmart and confirmed my deluxe has shipped!! Hype rising! The crazy thing is the FedEx tracking number they gave me actually shows delivery TOMORROW. Is that actually possible? The guy on the phone told me it'll arrive the 20th...but I did pay for rush shipping.

ultrazilla

And I'm all set for Sunday morning.

Just got back from my local Gamestop. Paid for my black WiiU Pro controller, COD: BO 2 and ZombiU all in full, about $180. My pro system pre-order is also paid off in full so all I have to do is go in Sunday morning, show my receipts and walk out with the system, games and pro controller. :)

I asked the manager if they had recieved the systems yet and she looked at me and said nervously "not yet". Now I would have thought they'd have them stacked in the back room already. I re-iterated that I was paid off in full on all my pre-order stuff and was #8 out of 10 for premium pre-orders and that I'm expecting to walk in Sunday morning with ZERO problems. She said I was fine and would have all my stuff. I really hope so.

I also have my black external 750 gig harddrive ready to hook up to the Nintendo beast. Nintendo next gen arrives Sunday, get ready! :)

Drago

I have a haunting feeling that the username I really want is going to get snagged before I'm able to set my system up. Anyone else? lol

It's not a very unique name, so I'm quite concerned. :(

Effect

Will a headset plugged into the one of the USB ports work? Or does it have to be plugged into the gamepad no matter what?

Or could possibly something like this work with a usb headset?

Hoodbury

I have a haunting feeling that the username I really want is going to get snagged before I'm able to set my system up. Anyone else? lol

It's not a very unique name, so I'm quite concerned. :(

I believe there aren't set usernames. You will get a code that goes behind the scenes so you can have whatever username you want and other people can have it as well. Similar to how Monster Hunter Tri worked.

Hobby

Don't take this as confirmed, but more than likely, yes.

Drago

I believe there aren't set usernames. You will get a code that goes behind the scenes so you can have whatever username you want and other people can have it as well. Similar to how Monster Hunter Tri worked.

:O

Really? How do you add friends then if more than one person can have the same username? I haven't kept up to much as far as friend lists go.

VanWinkle

Hey everyone, is that Gamespot live Wii U broadcast up somewhere? I would love to watch it. I still really haven't seen anything from the past couple of days. If anybody wants to link me to some other meaty videos, I'd appreciate it!

Kingven

Hey can someone tell me how does newegg deliver the consoles normally? Do they put them in brown boxes like amazon?.. im asking that "silly" question because im planning to get this bundle.. but it has to travel a long way to miami ,and then to my house (Venezuela) i dont want that everyone could see that a nintendo wiiu its on their hand.. It could dissappear mysteriously.. well im afraid that could happen...

If bought this bundle i could save up to 800 USD$... The Wiiu deluxe alone its going to cost around 1300$ here in Vzla..

antonz

Hey can someone tell me how does newegg deliver the consoles normally? Do they put them in brown boxes like amazon?.. im asking that "silly" question because im planning to get this bundle.. but it has to travel a long way to miami ,and then to my house (Venezuela) i dont want that everyone could see that a nintendo wiiu its on their hand.. It could dissappear mysteriously.. well im afraid that could happen...

If bought this bundle i could save up to 800 USD$... The Wiiu deluxe alone its going to cost around 1300$ here in Vzla..

Newegg generally boxes everything to protect knowledge of what the contents are. Thee should be no exterior mention of Wii U or anything

RatDog

Neo Member
I am starting to get pretty excited for the Wii U, I skipped over the Wii generation so I am excited to play a Mario game again. Zombie U also seems worthy of a day 1 purchase.

PrimeRib_

Seconds ago, just received email from NewEgg about Zombie U shipping in the next 24 to 48 hours. But nothing on Black Ops 2 or the Pro Controller?

uh oh. Pro controller now says pre-order, expected ship date of 12/31/12 .... something happened ...

EDIT: Just received the notice that BLOPS 2 is shipping in the next 24 to 48 hours as well. The Pro Controller still shows a 12/31/12 release date, whereas literally hours before, it had 11/18/12.

Drago

Just got a confirmation email from NewEgg for Sonic All Stars Racing. Now I just need a Scribblenauts confirmation...

Erethian

:O

Really? How do you add friends then if more than one person can have the same username? I haven't kept up to much as far as friend lists go.

He's half correct. Your Nintendo Network ID has to be a unique username, but it's not auto-generated for you and you can choose any combination of alphanumeric characters. This has been confirmed by multiple Nintendo reps. But unless people are looking at your profile in Miiverse they will see the name you gave your Mii, so in that sense you can have a display name that is not unique.

Kingven

Newegg generally boxes everything to protect knowledge of what the contents are. Thee should be no exterior mention of Wii U or anything

Thanks for the answer.. now im waiting authorization from my wife, hehehehehehehehe... she knows that i was planning to get one here in vzla.. but im trying to sell her the idea that getting it from USA its going to be a lot cheaper...

Another silly question, where i can see the expected shipping date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom