• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

What are you guys going to do when you first bring your Wii U home? Are you going to do the system update first or are you going to just stick a game in and start playing?
I'd system update. Gotta see what stuff is on the downloadable store.

... There is of course the fact we may not have a choice in the manner, or at least it'll nag us and we just do it then.

Jetku

What are you guys going to do when you first bring your Wii U home? Are you going to do the system update first or are you going to just stick a game in and start playing?

I'll probably update the system, play with all the settings, explore the eshop, download Mario if available, then take a nap. After that, I'll play some games.

Glass Joe

Yeah I realized after how horribly similar it is. I just think it would be a cool way to implement them. Would be very Nintendo like. No conglomerated score or anything just a cool little way to compare.

Nintendoland has stamps. Mario U has bronze/silver/gold rewards in challenge mode. Competition has had achievements and trophies for years. Nintendo somehow can't put 2+2 together. Really bizarre. Maybe MiiVerse will have a workable solution, like a page that shows all your game-specific accomplishments.

Bagu

I almost wish they DID implant a universal achievement system... and called them stamps. We'd have stamp collecting threads, talking about all the stamps we got while playing Mario and Zelda... it'd almost sound like everyone abandoned video games for an older hobby.
This would have been amazing. Holy shit, why Nintendo! Why must you deny us this!

I think your best bet is to try on launch. Who knows what's gonna happen after thanksgiving, when everyone shares there wiiu with there families.
Highly anecdotal: I went to a local Best Buy and Target tonight, in a similar position of curiosity. Best Buy suggested they expected additional units beyond those pre-ordered; Target had only taken five pre-orders, and were getting ten additional units. I didn't ask for Deluxe/Basic breakdowns (I doubt they would know them).

Okay, thanks.

The Wii U seems like it's less hyped than the Wii was.

TriGen

I'll probably update the system, play with all the settings, explore the eshop, download Mario if available, then take a nap. After that, I'll play some games.

Same. Except when Mario is downloaded there will be no napping, that's when the gaming begins.

HylianTom

Banned
That mii maker music makes me feel happy :)

I could fall asleep to it. Very soothing to just have on in the background as I'm cleaning house.

Dusting off the entertainment center right now. Holy hell, the dust bunnies! Gotta make a nice little spot for the U, right next to the Wii. Mmm.. Lemon Pledge..

d5lpg.jpg

Ha, that's a good shot.

So I've noticed a few people in the thread saying that they want to obtain a USB Ethernet adapter for the Wii U. Any particular reason for this aside from having a solid connection for online multiplayer titles?

Eusis

Nintendoland has stamps. Mario U has bronze/silver/gold rewards in challenge mode. Competition has had achievements and trophies for years. Nintendo somehow can't put 2+2 together. Really bizarre. Maybe MiiVerse will have a workable solution, like a page that shows all your game-specific accomplishments.
Despite what I just said, I think they recognize that isn't the best fit for all games. I feel like it's somewhat intrusive on the experience to have something like that at a system level over all games, and for some games it really just isn't RIGHT to have them there (especially galling with more artistic games... which of course seem to be most plentiful on the system where you can't turn notifications off).
So I've noticed a few people in the thread saying that they want to obtain a USB Ethernet adapter for the Wii U. Any particular reason for this aside from having a solid connection for online multiplayer titles?
I think it's that some don't have a wireless router. Which really does seem kind of crazy nowadays, versus when the Wii launched where the most popular HD system lacked internal wireless, but there you go. Though there's also the fact some people have their systems set up by their router and would rather have a stable wired connection, it's not really a big deal to me despite being one of those people but after the PS3, especially the troubles Demon's Souls had with wireless versus wired on an older router I can understand it.

TriGen

I could fall asleep to it. Very soothing to just have on in the background as I'm cleaning house.

Dusting off the entertainment center right now. Holy hell, the dust bunnies! Gotta make a nice little spot for the U, right next to the Wii. Mmm.. Lemon Pledge..

That's what I did about 4 days ago. The dust was shocking considering I usually dust. I guess because I never unhook anything it sneaks by.

I think it's that some don't have a wireless router. Which really does seem kind of crazy nowadays, versus when the Wii launched where the most popular HD system lacked internal wireless, but there you go. Though there's also the fact some people have their systems set up by their router and would rather have a stable wired connection, it's not really a big deal to me despite being one of those people but after the PS3, especially the troubles Demon's Souls had with wireless versus wired on an older router I can understand it.

Yeah, I get that. I was going to hard wire my Wii U as well. But then my wife and switched to DirecTV in October and that took up the last free Ethernet jack on my AirPort Extreme. I'd have to unplug the PS3 or 360 to free up a slot.

HylianTom

Banned
That's what I did about 4 days ago. The dust was shocking considering I usually dust. I guess because I never unhook anything it sneaks by.

I only dust about once a month. Probably need to step that up a bit. :p

Also, note to self: grab some Twinkies and/or Ding Dongs. This may be the last game launch where I can enjoy Twinkies. And those little chocolatey cupcakes with the white icing lines on top.

hostess_cupcake_sos.jpg

edit: and the channel's dead again. Poop.
edit, again: and it's back up. Again. anti-poop. I wish he'd play some Mario.

Effect

Well, we've all established that everyone on gaf shall not get Mass Effect from that other thread. Get mario and use the Miiverse with us!

True. I keep toying with ME but I know I shouldn't bother with it. So much uncertainty around it. Yet I do want to play an RPG first with shooting but not a pure shooter. It's why I'm attracted to ZombiU.

Maybe BO2 will surprise me and it will indeed offer replay value but it's so much constant shooting.

hiryu64

Here's a question: the audio out on the controller. Does it stream all game audio or just the audio being streamed to the gamepad? More importantly, does the console support simultaneous audio output? I want to use HDMI via DVI to my monitor for video and A/V stereo audio like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6uF7hYSA8Q

Jabjabs

Neo Member
I didn't think about the audio stream to the pad. If it is everything then that will be totally awesome, the sound on my TV sucks.

TriGen

It was short, but I think Reggie did great.

That went really well. Fallon was so crazy happy and into it that it had to get some people excited. It also was mentioned that it was a new system, many times, and they mentioned that it was the first HD Nintendo system a bunch of times. Wasn't a confusing message.

Effect

Run updates if they're up. I do hope it isn't to large though and I'm sitting there for most of the morning and a good part of the afternoon updating. All the interesting stuff has to be downloaded anyway.

First, install the online System Update. Then probably just mess around with the system features (TV Remote, Miiverse, eShop) for half an hour. It'll be time for Nintendo Land or Mario after that.

Since Reggie brought it up, does the Wii U have any official 3D capabilities? I know BLOPS 2 has 3D on both the 360 and PS3 but wondered if the Wii U version would carry the same features.

Do a quick, basic plug in for just power and internet and update it from the GamePad. Get my receiver inputs renamed, Harmony remote programmed and test switching. Should be done by the time that happens, pop a game in at that point.

Medalion

Banned
Oh wow...an ad on Youtube

That's why people come to Youtube, to look at the ads above the video they came for of what to buy next

RagnarokX

Charging the gamepad? I assume that will probably take a while, so go to bed and play with it in the morning?

Tim-E

Oh wow...an ad on Youtube

That's why people come to Youtube, to look at the ads above the video they came for of what to buy next

The only reason anyone watches television is so they can consume 16 minutes of commercials every hour so they can buy everything they see.

Do you know how advertising works?

Teknoman

I can confirm that you cannot do this. Gamepad is singleplayer only unless you want to be the helper.

You're right (and I was wrong earlier in the thread). If you want to do multiplayer the GamePad is only for Boost Mode.

Well that sucks...would be nice if there was a day one patch to give an option.

So what about Nintendoland? Games like the Metroid minigame can use the gamepad for aiming, or just wiimote + nunchuk? I wonder if people new to the system will be ok with having to use two Wiimote instead of pad+wiimote for normal co-op in Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom