• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
Oh wow...an ad on Youtube

That's why people come to Youtube, to look at the ads above the video they came for of what to buy next

Youtube is one of the most highly frequented web sites on the internet. A gigantic banner ad on the top of the front page -- kiiind of a big deal.

Youtube is one of the most highly frequented web sites on the internet. A gigantic banner ad on the top of the front page -- kiiind of a big deal.

That's like saying "that's why people go to the movie theater, to see the ads and to see what they will buy next".

Ummmmmmm, it's a residual effect and mass exposure.

Maybe he was drunk when he posted that!!!

This. As someone who is knee deep in digital media, I can tell you that a youtube homepage takeover, even one like this which isnt even 100% share of voice (COD BLOPS 2 and VITA ads also in rotation), carries a HUGE cost, and it's largely worth it for timed releases. That's not to say that people who see this ad will be able to buy one right away on a whim. Likely not. But this youtube homepage presence combined with other media outlets will work to keep them toward top of mind in the consumer space leading into black friday.

The most sensible and cost-effective online advertising is still the heavily targeted ad network variety, but that's when you're dealing with pure sales or conversions. Nothing in that banner links directly to a buy now page, because it would just say back-ordered. It's an informational and branding-focused buy, and in those cases a massive all-in YT homepage buy can be worth it

anyway, the Fallon segment actually went quite smoothly and the direct feed video looked gorgeous. They were concise and stayed on message, really stressing that you want to play this thing with someone else in the same room.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's hard to say if that Youtube ad actually does appear for everyone, though... could be targetted based on web history?

Chairhome

I may be late to this, but I just found out that gamestop is opening at 11am on Sunday :-(. At least I should be well rested when I pick up my reserve.

Eusis

Has there been any word on any US GameStops having extra Deluxe units, or not? I'm on the waitlist, though I have a basic coming if everything else fails... and even then I may still sell it to my brother. Can't really fix the internal memory or get the deluxe promo without going Deluxe.

Eusis

Gamestop is probably the last place I'd try for an extra one. Best bet is a 24 hour Walmart.
Well, I got on the waitlist ASAP. I'm assuming that any extras are either for them or Black Friday sales... and it's not actually advertised for Black Friday, is it?

Okay.. this Zelda mini-game is kinda adorable. But getting the Triforce so easily? And from a moblin boss instead of Ganon? Hmm.

It's one of the few minigames that I wasn't into at all at first but I don't think it's so terrible anymore.

I like the singleplayer archer levels and the music in the game is awesome.

Hawk269

Hmmmm.... I really don't want to be a tease, but I know with 100% accuracy that one major retailer will have EXTRA units beyond pre-orders of both colors. In some stores, this retailer will have anywhere from 10-15 extra units above pre-orders. All I will say is "Giraffe".

Hmmmm.... I really don't want to be a tease, but I know with 100% accuracy that one major retailer will have EXTRA units beyond pre-orders of both colors. In some stores, this retailer will have anywhere from 10-15 extra units above pre-orders. All I will say is "Giraffe".

I need more clues, that's way too cryptic.

zroid

Banned
ZBQ's presentation is amazing, but yeah it was easily the most disappointing among the games I played. It was just... boring. But I think it'd be more fun when played with friends or maybe in its single player mode. It was definitely not a multiplayer experience conducive to playing with strangers, unlike Animal Crossing Sweet Day and Luigi's Ghost Mansion which were super fun for me in spite of that.

ZBQ's presentation is amazing, but yeah it was easily the most disappointing among the games I played. It was just... boring. But I think it'd be more fun when played with friends or maybe in its single player mode. It was definitely not a multiplayer experience conducive to playing with strangers, unlike Animal Crossing Sweet Day and Luigi's Ghost Mansion which were super fun for me in spite of that.

Which game had the best music???

Spazznid

I may be late to this, but I just found out that gamestop is opening at 11am on Sunday :-(. At least I should be well rested when I pick up my reserve.

ib1eMmcoboHbxq.png

At least you'll be playing yours this weekend...

Lucent

re6-logo.jpg

I don't think he has the Wii U you're looking for.

Hawk269

re6-logo.jpg

I don't think he has the Wii U you're looking for.

lmao. Like I said, this particular retailer will have extra's, less of the Black, but still will be extra's and rumor suggest more will arrive during the week prior to Black Friday at hinted retailer.

I didn't think about the audio stream to the pad. If it is everything then that will be totally awesome, the sound on my TV sucks.

Without headphones in the pad, the audio coming out of the pad will usully be something complimentary to the main game audio coming from TV/Surround system. With headphones in, however, you get ALL the audio. It's quite nice.

majik13

What are you guys going to do when you first bring your Wii U home? Are you going to do the system update first or are you going to just stick a game in and start playing?

well I will be moving, though GS is right around the corner from my current/old place. So I wil probably move a shit ton more stuff, then hopefully set up my entertainment center. Then

-system update
-wii transfer( why have I not seen anyone mention this, I am not gonna start playing some games and then later transfer over my old wii and potentially loose any data and saves on the wii u. Also dont wanna make any new miis just to play/start a game.

-explore the menu and options, try out remote functions
-then most likely quickly check out nintendoland, or BLOPS(really want to wait for friends to check out NL)
-then later that night when things have settled, play ZombiU, the main reason I have been stoked for WiiU since E3

Eusis

lmao. Like I said, this particular retailer will have extra's, less of the Black, but still will be extra's and rumor suggest more will arrive during the week prior to Black Friday at hinted retailer.
Unless either Nintendo shafts GameStop or GameStop shafts consumers then I guess that's an indicator of what they will do too.
Without headphones in the pad, the audio coming out of the pad will usully be something complimentary to the main game audio coming from TV/Surround system. With headphones in, however, you get ALL the audio. It's quite nice.
And if the speakers are at least DS family quality rather utter trash they'll be a better compliment to games than the Wii's were, which will be nice.

Mrbob

With those without a wii, some good prices at toys r us website.

They have Zelda Skyward Sword for 24 dollars and Kirby Epic Yarn for 16 (both are an extra 20 percent off) You can stack buy one get one 40 percent off on a regular priced title to get free shipping over 49 dollars.

I bought Zelda Skyward Sword, Kirby Epic yarn, and Donkey Kong Country returns for 57 dollars plus tax. Now I need a wiimote and nunchuck combo. Those are expensive though. :x

hiryu64

iSKf52Y0k1gV1.gif

OMG This is great news! I got a converter for A/V audio out to 3.5mm stereo only to realize that it's possible the Wii U doesn't even support that. But that won't matter now! YESSSSS!! Thank you for confirming this! So I'll only need to run HDMI to my monitor via DVI and headphones straight to the pad. I might finally be able to join you guys in the HD generation now. :D

Spazznid

I believe Hawk269 is referring to Toys R Us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axzpa9cRsFI&t=40s

With those without a wii, some good prices at toys r us website.

They have Zelda Skyward Sword for 24 dollars and Kirby Epic Yarn for 16 (both are an extra 20 percent off) You can stack buy one get one 40 percent off on a regular priced title to get free shipping over 49 dollars.

I bought Zelda Skyward Sword, Kirby Epic yarn, and Donkey Kong Country returns for 57 dollars plus tax. Now I need a wiimote and nunchuck combo. Those are expensive though. :x

remember to get Wii motion plus controller or a new Wii U one, Skyward Sword uses no less!

OK, so I have a black Wii U and Batman AC pre-ordered at the local GS. They're not doing a midnight launch, though. I also ordered Tekken, Mario, and DarkSiders II through Newegg. I was charged for Mario and DarkSiders II tonight, but not for Tekken. I'm saving a good $15 on Tekken with Newegg. I don't want to cancel it, but I want my games this week.

Did anyone else order Tekken from Newegg? What's the status of that order for you?

OK, so I have a black Wii U and Batman AC pre-ordered at the local GS. They're not doing a midnight launch, though. I also ordered Tekken, Mario, and DarkSiders II through Newegg. I was charged for Mario and DarkSiders II tonight, but not for Tekken. I'm saving a good $15 on Tekken with Newegg. I don't want to cancel it, but I want my games this week.

Did anyone else order Tekken from Newegg? What's the status of that order for you?
I ordered zombiu and its been charged and should ship tomorrow. Confirmation emails came about 5hrs ago.

oatmeal

Banned
Question about the TV Remote...

Can it control my cable box and also set up my PS3/360 to play (not actually interact with them)?

Can it control my cable box and also set up my PS3/360 to play (not actually interact with them)?

It does support a bunch of cable boxes.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "set up my PS3/360 to play". Play DVDs? Play videos? I don't think it's going to do anything with the other systems.

Spazznid

IIRC there is word that it can do cable/satellite, and also change your tv from input to input...

But who the hell am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom