• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
So assuming I have the other two consoles, and I have no interest in zombieland(if the gamesport review is accurate) or scribblenaughts....is my launch lineup New Super Mario Bros U and and Nintendo Land?

So assuming I have the other two consoles, and I have no interest in zombieland or scribblenaughts....is my launch lineup New Super Mario Bros U and and Nintendo Land?

If you're talking exclusives... There is also a new Warriors Orochi game.

Otherwise you'll have to "settle" for multiplats like AC3

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Well the issue is centrally locating the WiiU in my AV closest (which uses a 4x4 matrix to distribute HDMI signals throughout the house over HDBaseT). Basically I have 4 Cat6A cables running to each TV locations (only use 1 but future proofed) in my house and I am not rewiring my house for the WiiU.

So the question is, can I locate the WiiU in my closest, yet still use the console? I thought the Wii sensor bar had to be attached to the console but if the WiiU is different (by sending the signal over the wireless signal) it would make things much easier.

edit: I know there are concerns about wireless range, but I am not worried about that issue for the moment.

I think you might be misunderstanding what the sensor bar is. The name "sensor bar" is actually a misnomer as it does not actually sense anything and does not communicate with the Wii or Wii U in any way. All the cable does is supply it with power. The sensor bar itself is merely two IR lights. The Wiimote itself does all the sensing. It looks for IR light sources and uses that to orient itself in 3D space, which is why you place the sensor bar near your television to kind trick your Wiimote into knowing where your tv is.

All that is a long way of saying, there are wireless sensor bar solutions out there. They run on batteries, and I would assume work just as well as the real thing.

Or you could just use two candles...

Well the issue is centrally locating the WiiU in my AV closest (which uses a 4x4 matrix to distribute HDMI signals throughout the house over HDBaseT). Basically I have 4 Cat6A cables running to each TV locations (only use 1 but future proofed) in my house and I am not rewiring my house for the WiiU.

So the question is, can I locate the WiiU in my closest, yet still use the console? I thought the Wii sensor bar had to be attached to the console but if the WiiU is different (by sending the signal over the wireless signal) it would make things much easier.

edit: I know there are concerns about wireless range, but I am not worried about that issue for the moment.

Like others have said the sensor bar are just two IR lights and the Wiimotes handles all the tracking of those lights. I'd say your best bet is just buying a wireless sensor bar that runs off batteries so you can put it wherever you need it at for your setup.

Depending on how far away your systems are from where you're sitting (and how many walls there are between them) you might run into some signal problems when it comes to the GamePad's video signal.

My Gamestop doesn't open until FUCKING NOON TOMORROW

avInv.gif

moonbox

Banned
So assuming I have the other two consoles, and I have no interest in zombieland or scribblenaughts....is my launch lineup New Super Mario Bros U and and Nintendo Land?

Throw in AC3 or BLOPS 2; think of the online multiplayer on the gamepad (almost) anywhere in your house - your bed, the toilet, the kitchen, the living room when everyone's watching tv. The possibilities!

I hope Wal-Mart will just let me walk in and pick up my unit tonight. I have to work so I can't wait around in some line, and the whole pre-ordering thing was supposed to take care of that for me. Anyone have info on what they're doing?

This is what I'm hoping for. I may swing by later today to pay it off and see if a line has formed but I really really don't want to wait this time around.

Is that normal for a Sunday?

It could just be me, but I've never known a Gamestop to not open until noon. 11am, absolutely, but not 12.

What really sucks here is that it's right next to Wal-Mart, where I work, and I have to be at work at 4, and it's about a 20 minute drive. So I would be driving all the way out there at 12, getting the system, driving all the way back (so about 40 minutes total just for the Wii trip), messing around with the console for a couple of hours, and getting ready for work and to drive all the way back.

But, I know I should simply count myself fortunate to be getting one tomorrow, let alone one at all.

I am, however, off Monday. But then I work four days in a row, one being the black Friday shift until 3am.

COME AT ME THANKSGIVING WEEK YOU SICK FUCK

CoilShot

It could just be me, but I've never known a Gamestop to not open until noon. 11am, absolutely, but not 12.

What really sucks here is that it's right next to Wal-Mart, where I work, and I have to be at work at 4, and it's about a 20 minute drive. So I would be driving all the way out there at 12, getting the system, driving all the way back (so about 40 minutes total just for the Wii trip), messing around with the console for a couple of hours, and getting ready for work and to drive all the way back.

But, I know I should simply count myself fortunate to be getting one tomorrow, let alone one at all.

Mine says they opening up at 10am but they normally don't open until 11am

IMG_0109.jpg

Picked up from best buy. I checked my account online and the order was flagged as ready for pick up today. I also received an email that said the order would be ready for pickup on Sunday. I even called the store and the guy said I could pick it up today. Obviously I didn't mention its proper release date.

IMG_0109.jpg

Picked up from best buy. I checked my account online and the order was flagged as ready for pick up today. I also received an email that said the order would be ready for pickup on Sunday. I even called the store and the guy said I could pick it up today. Obviously I didn't mention its proper release date.

I wish all store employees were that dumb. Grats and enjoy being the envy of gaff for the next 13 to 25 hours.

IMG_0109.jpg

Have you tried turning it on yet? :p

Kokonoe

Banned
IMG_0109.jpg

Good! You can find out if there is a 'recover gamertag' function or something to utilize Wii U accounts on other Wii Us and be a hero.

So much jelly. I really hope I can just walk into a Walmart at 12 am and find one tonight. If not I'll try again at Target, Best Buy and KMart in the morning....if that doesn't work I'll wait until I'm I'm top of gamestop's waiting list :( I live smack dab in the Bible belt so I'm hoping Wii U is the last thing on people's minds Sunday morning haha.

Pachinko

So is it safe to say you guys all of the Wii U Hyper ****ing fever madness ?

Symptoms of it include every day feeling like christmas eve when you were a kid , the inability to just buy 1 or 2 games so you end up with a half dozen launch titles instead and finally you can't stop talking about buying one.

I'm currently trying to convince myself that I don't need more then mario and ninja gaiden , especially since the deluxe console comes with nintendo land... but now I find myself looking at the other games and thinking ... maybe this one or that one.

ARGH.

Why doesn't Nintendo launch these things on a saturday ?

I literally just got my Wii U Deluxe delivered from Walmart!!!!! Wooohoooooo!!! Street dates must mean nothing to that company. Will provide some unbox photos if you guys are interested!!!

IMG_0109.jpg

Make an unboxing vid!

Did they already reveal what controllers are compatible with Epic Mickey 2? We got our copies in yesterday and they showed

-GamePad Pro
-GamePad
-2 Remotes+CC Pro(!)
-2 Remotes+Nunchuks

stupei

Gamestop I pre-ordered from near work had been promising a midnight release for weeks, call me today to say it's not happening.

Contemplating the odds of going to Nintendo World close to midnight and getting a premium. Probably not good.

Xater

IMG_0109.jpg

Someone should tell Triforce. lololol

BTW I was right by predicting that he would not be the one to buy the first Wii U.

Gamestop I pre-ordered from near work had been promising a midnight release for weeks, call me today to say it's not happening.

Contemplating the odds of going to Nintendo World close to midnight and getting a premium. Probably not good.

Really? Better call mine again just to make sure. Don't want to stand outside the store at midnight like an idiot...

sensui-tomo

If you're talking exclusives... There is also a new Warriors Orochi game.

Otherwise you'll have to "settle" for multiplats like AC3

warriors orochi 3 hyper is the same game as its ps3/360 counterpart except with the addition of duel mode, and the 4 new characters added (2 from the japanese psp release and 2 for the wii U exclusive...ness) the only thing unknown at the moment is if dlc will ever come out for it as it does not have the dlc the ps3/360 has.

lol fuck you Nintendo for weekend releases , its in Norwood MA right now, thats like 10-20 minutes from my home and UPS won't deliver it or i can't pick it up since in that location its only pick up during the week :(

Nilaul

IMG_0109.jpg

Triforce is comming to hunt you down now.

For the Wii launch i just showed up to target 2 hours early and got 2 systems,Is it really going to be impossible to find and buy this shit on day one?

i think i may just give someone extra $50 and buy one on craigslist

Mrbob

Might be a dumb question, but do we know what digital only titles are launching on the eshop tomorrow? Not retail games, but strictly digital only.

CaLe

So with ZombiU not being as good as initially thought, what game do you guys think I should get instead..?

I was thinking of Assassin's Creed 3, Batman or Call of Duty... I heard AC3 might not be worth it on the WiiU ? Any truth to that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom