• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misterhbk

Why my Walmart gotta be so smart?

I called to see if I could get someone uninformed enough who might tell me I could come and pick up my Wii U. First thing out of the woman's mouth is no, you ca't get it until tomorrow. :(

Then she made it worse by telling me they won't be doing a midnight launch, after I'd been told 3 times by others that they'd be staying open for preorders at midnight. Ugh, I'm just gonna go down later and see in person for myself. Not that I'm gonna play it tonight, but I'd rather just wake up and be able to play rather than getting up and having to drive down to get it.

EDIT; I probably should have spoken to a manager about the midnight launch thing though.

kunonabi

Did they already reveal what controllers are compatible with Epic Mickey 2? We got our copies in yesterday and they showed

-GamePad Pro
-GamePad
-2 Remotes+CC Pro(!)
-2 Remotes+Nunchuks

It appears to still be up in the air. The 1up review claims that the 1st player has to use the gamepad despite reports that you could use wiimote/nunchuk. It wouldn't be the first time a reviewer outright lied about something like that so it's hard to tell.

Spazznid

Sparks, MD, United States 11/17/2012 10:00 A.M. Destination Scan

oh-goodie.gif

Still says Monday, though :(

stupei

Really? Better call mine again just to make sure. Don't want to stand outside the store at midnight like an idiot...

It's really annoying, because I've been checking off and on since I made the pre-order, just to make sure it was still happening. Last time I asked was on Thursday.

But they call today to say, "You can come in at 9!" Better than noon, at least.

Why my Walmart gotta be so smart?

I called to see if I could get someone uninformed enough who might tell me I could come and pick up my Wii U. First thing out of the woman's mouth is no, you ca't get it until tomorrow. :(

Then she made it worse by telling me they won't be doing a midnight launch, after I'd been told 3 times by others that they'd be staying open for preorders at midnight. Ugh, I'm just gonna go down later and see in person for myself. Not that I'm gonna play it tonight, but I'd rather just wake up and be able to play rather than getting up and having to drive down to get it.

I wish my Walmart was this smart. Just a couple of hours ago I asked the morning associate in electronics about the midnight launch and he had no clue. Tonight's gonna be fun.

Effect

Finally got a call from GameStop this morning.

So with ZombiU not being as good as initially thought, what game do you guys think I should get instead..?

I was thinking of Assassin's Creed 3, Batman or Call of Duty... I heard AC3 might not be worth it on the WiiU ? Any truth to that ?

It's one damn review that is low! Are you purposely ignoring the 92 from ONM and the 7 from Edge!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It's awful, it's like being a teen and seeing all your friends going to a party you're not invited to (yet)

><

Hey guys, I want to buy a hard drive for Wii U and not sure if it has to be USB 2.0 only or can it be 2.0/3.0?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I don't know shit about stuff like that :D

CaLe

Finally got a call from GameStop this morning.

It's one damn review that is low! Are you purposely ignoring the 92 from ONM and the 7 from Edge!

I don't give much value to ONM's score, they are an official magazine after all. As for Edge, is a 7 good ?

I watched the GS video review, and the points the reviewer made seemed valid to me.

Linkhero1

Tomorrow's the big day. I really wish there was a midnight launch at Gamestop but I'll live. I cannot wait to get my hands on NSMB U.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
I wish my Walmart was this smart. Just a couple of hours ago I asked the morning associate in electronics about the midnight launch and he had no clue. Tonight's gonna be fun.

It really depends on who you get. I asked one person and they did not know. Another walked up and said someone from third shift would be back there as they had been up there to start taking pre-orders.

So anyone else try to go to Toys R Us today for Wii U games. Their flyer said that from 3pm Friday till 1 pm saturday it was Buy 1 360, PS3, or Wii U game 59.99 and above and save 10 bucks and buy 2 and save 30 bucks. Except the only Toys R Us near me refused to put any of the already released Wii U games out and said they were all not allowed to be sold till Sunday. When I pointed out the AD and it showed 2 of them, they had to call a manager, and a ton of waiting and then got told "The backroom is a mess and I don't feel like figuring out what's already released and what's coming out tomorrow, so the best I can do is scriblenauts and ACIII". Which did me no good since I already bought ACIII on Tuesday.

I swear retail places just get worse and worse, "Oh no I don't want your money cause I'd have to do some work to do it."

So anyone else try to go to Toys R Us today for Wii U games. Their flyer said that from 3pm Friday till 1 pm saturday it was Buy 1 360, PS3, or Wii U game 59.99 and above and save 10 bucks and buy 2 and save 30 bucks. Except the only Toys R Us near me refused to put any of the already released Wii U games out and said they were all not allowed to be sold till Sunday. When I pointed out the AD and it showed 2 of them, they had to call a manager, and a ton of waiting and then got told "The backroom is a mess and I don't feel like figuring out what's already released and what's coming out tomorrow, so the best I can do is scriblenauts and ACIII". Which did me no good since I already bought ACIII on Tuesday.

I swear retail places just get worse and worse, "Oh no I don't want your money cause I'd have to do some work to do it."

To be fair, aren't they not supposed to be sold until tomorrow?

Effect

I love how ZombiU has got a single bad review and everyone's turned on it, instantly.

Wouldn't say everyone but a few. It's like the damn election threads all over again. The littlest bit of seemingly bad news that is questionable and some lose their damn minds and ignore anything positive.

On Edge. Yeah. They tend to be harsher on games then most. So a 7 is good. Hell, a 7 isn't bad in general on any 10 point scale when 10 is the highest and 1 is the lowest.

beanman25

my bestbuy told me I could pick up today! I told them I'm leaving late tonight for a trip (I'm not really though, haha). Should be going around 2pm, hopefully they stick to their word!

Ein Bear

Wouldn't say everyone but a few. It's like the damn election threads all over again. The littlest bit of seemingly bad news that is questionable and some lose their damn minds and ignore anything positive.

It's like the 20 page thread we had yesterday where people managed to convince themselves that every third party port on the Wii U is going to be an abomination. Purely based off one guy saying Mass Effect 3 seemed a bit rough.

I guess people really don't like getting their hopes up.

Jarsonot

Shit, my Wii U says ready for pick up...

Worth the trip to see if I can?

You'll have to make a list. Pros. Cons. Then weigh the pros versus the cons and see if the trip would make sense for you.

The way most people do it is something like, if the bad outweighs the good, then they wouldn't go. BUT if it's the opposite, they would go.

If we're really going to be able to help you we'll need to know more information. Maybe we can make that list together.

Do you want the system?
Ok, like HOW bad?
Is it far to the store?
Can you afford the gas?
Do you have any crippling fears stopping you?
Are there any other things you have to be doing?
Are you wearing clothes, or intend to put clothes on? (Could be important in keeping you out of jail)

That'll give us a start. We'll figure it out for you.

Yuripaw

Banned
Today is gonna suck, nothing but hype for the Wii U today...no midnight release, no coverage by any major sites til tomorrow. I was looking forward to giantbomb doing some kind of livestream, but they're not doing it til tomorrow at 1pm my time...i'll already have mine by then. All I can do is sit here on gaf and just hit refresh, and hope I get over this sore throat/fever by tomorrow.

Effect

It's like the 20 page thread we had yesterday where people managed to convince themselves that every third party port on the Wii U is going to be an abomination. Purely based off one guy saying Mass Effect 3 seemed a bit rough.

I guess people really don't like getting their hopes up.

That was crazy as well. All that based on ONE guy. Yet video of the game shows it to be just fine. Then again some people feel the hint of slow down in a game means its trash.

Looking to pick up some of the Wiiware games I may have missed, anyone have any recommendations on must gets?

I already have Megaman 9 and 10, Contra Rebirth, Castlevania Rebirth, and World of Goo.

Was gonna get La Mulana and Fluidity.

It really depends on who you get. I asked one person and they did not know. Another walked up and said someone from third shift would be back there as they had been up there to start taking pre-orders.

Yeah, but this guy also told me the third shift person would only be there till 11. Just goes to show incompetent some Walmarts are with videogame launches. The sad thing is this very same Walmart had a kickass launch event for the Wii when it launched. But then when the 3DS launched last year there was no one there to sell the 3DS at midnight and no turn out because they did almost nothing to promote the 3DS launch.

oatmeal

Banned
Do you want the system? Yes
Ok, like HOW bad? Pretty bad. Like a pee that you can hold until the gas station on a road trip, but it would feel better to just pull over
Is it far to the store? About five miles.
Can you afford the gas? Can anyone?
Do you have any crippling fears stopping you? I have a phobia of shower curtains. Not sure if it factors in here.
Are there any other things you have to be doing? Editing a music video.
Are you wearing clothes, or intend to put clothes on? (Could be important in keeping you out of jail) I'm half dressed in my pj's...I could see the benefit of putting on pants.

That'll give us a start. We'll figure it out for you.

Let's see...

Don't you DARE be going to get yours before I get mine.

Bwahahaha.

Seguin

Banned
Not really interested in getting a WiiU until there are some good games on it, but will there be any connectivity with the 3DS?

oatmeal

Banned
you don't really think Best Buy will let you pick it up today, do you? When you go, it'll probably come up on their computer as "don't sell til the 18th"

Well that's what I would assume...but...

IMG_0109.jpg

Picked up from best buy. I checked my account online and the order was flagged as ready for pick up today. I also received an email that said the order would be ready for pickup on Sunday. I even called the store and the guy said I could pick it up today. Obviously I didn't mention its proper release date.

oatmeal

Banned
you don't really think Best Buy will let you pick it up today, do you? When you go, it'll probably come up on their computer as "don't sell til the 18th"

see my post a page or 2 back. I picked it up this morning.

So there was no block on the computer? That's usually a nationwide block, so if yours rang up, mine should too.

Store opens at 10, it's 9:30. I'll head over at 10:15ish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom