• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriGen

Today is gonna suck, nothing but hype for the Wii U today...no midnight release, no coverage by any major sites til tomorrow. I was looking forward to giantbomb doing some kind of livestream, but they're not doing it til tomorrow at 1pm my time...i'll already have mine by then. All I can do is sit here on gaf and just hit refresh, and hope I get over this sore throat/fever by tomorrow.

Feel the same. I'm gonna try to see if I can get one at midnight even though I got a GS pre-order, but I'm not hopeful. So that means this is one slow day of nothing. I really wish, as you said, that sites could cover Wii U today, it would really help the wait.

Think that person will get yelled at/fired for selling you the console but lol $25 gift card.

I would have said a very polite "no", just one word and hang up

If I had already hooked it up I probably would have said no, but if it was still in the box I might have brought it back.

Probably would have tried negotiating with them for more though since you hold all the negotiating power in that situation.

Haha, well I think I would have tried to up the stakes (probably to $50), but if they declined even $25 would've gotten me to go back.

You know, even if he changed his mind and did take it back, I think he should scan or photograph his original receipt just to prove he got it a day early. For himself and THE WORLD. Maybe be nice to the BB and blur out the store/employee name info.

kiryogi

Banned
Well, my Gamestop has decided not to do a midnight launch after previously saying that they would. Fantastic! :(
Heh yeah sadly mine is pretty good about doing midnights. IE we had one for Skyward Sword even! But apparently since the situation is all reserves and nothing for the open public. So they don't see a point to having a midnight for that.

TriGen

Well, my Gamestop has decided not to do a midnight launch after previously saying that they would. Fantastic! :(

It seems like a lot of people are saying this. It seems that no GS is doing a midnight launch. A few thought about doing one and then realized what day it was or something.

John1744

Dumb question perhaps but is there any chance of picking one up tomorrow if you did not preorder?

My local Best Buys in the last two days have all become pretty confident they'll be able to cover pre orders and walk ins for quite a while tomorrow. Seems like Nintendo shipped out a pretty decent supply this time.

Trevelyan

Banned
Yes, just get to whatever store you're going to early. Nintendo has said that they're giving Gamestop more units than they have pre-ordered.

2 of the Gamestops near where I live(palo alto/mountain view), said they only have enough to cover pre-orders, and don't have any extra for walk-ins =/

It seems like a lot of people are saying this. It seems that no GS is doing a midnight launch. A few thought about doing one and then realized what day it was or something.

I think they realized how few units they were getting and decided it wasn't worth paying people extra money to work that late.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is the sensor bar powered? Can you just splice in a battery box to the two wires? I know you can get wireless sensor bars, but the only one I've seen locally has a built in battery which charges over USB. I'd prefer something that can either take normal batteries, or that I can wire into a USB charger.

guek

Banned
Dumb question perhaps but is there any chance of picking one up tomorrow if you did not preorder?

A chance. Depends on where you live but it's unlikely.

I have 2 pre-orders, one at TRU (delayed) and one at gamestop (on time but opens at 11am).
I'm planning on heading over to a local walmart at about 11:15pm tonight and seeing if there's a line. I called and asked and they said they only have about 15 non-reserved wiius but there's always a chance I'll get lucky.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
How is the sensor bar powered? Can you just splice in a battery box to the two wires? I know you can get wireless sensor bars, but the only one I've seen locally has a built in battery which charges over USB. I'd prefer something that can either take normal batteries, or that I can wire into a USB charger.

Senor par is powered by the system. There's just a small port in the back you plug it in. No extra power necessary.

I dunno. I just called gamestop and they said they have to do reserves and people on waiting list first. He said call back in a week but they don't think are getting more till next year lol. Going to call bestbuy

Just called my local Target that I got my preorder card from. They have the Wii U in stock, ready and waiting for me. I can come in at 8 am tomorrow morning and pick it up...

jimmyfallonyeahdance.gif

AGITΩ

You did nothing wrong though, and they're not going to black list you or probably even remember your face that well. All they know right now is that they fucked up.

They fucked up bad. That store will be fined a pretty penny, around 15k for a hard street date violation on a console. And the employee that processed the pick up will either be put on a warning or fired.

Does anybody know what time the embargos lift for the majority of launch titles? Should we expect to see several reviews go up at 12:01AM EST(or PST)? Just curious as to what the general consensus is on the bulk of the launch lineup. Want to grab a Wii U, but without having it preordered the odds seem pretty bleak.

So, I think I'm going to cancel my Black Ops II preorder since, you know, I don't know a fucking thing about it and just get eshop credit with the money I had on it. Not really a fan of buying something that I don't know anything about, and if it turns out to be a really good port of the game I'll pick it up in a few weeks. No hurry, no worry.

unless, miraculously, at some point today some positive impressions surface.

CoilShot

AGITΩ;44442439 said:
They fucked up bad. That store will be fined a pretty penny, around 15k for a hard street date violation on a console. And the employee that processed the pick up will either be put on a warning or fired.

More likely fired

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
AGITΩ;44442439 said:

If that's the case then you'd think they'd offer something more then a $25 gift card.

oatmeal

Banned
Update: I called and Fried got lucky. They aren't selling them yet, but they have it in stock and are prepping them for tomorrow.

No big deal.

I will pick up my Target preorder and then swing by Best Buy at 11 and pick that up.

You know what. I wouldn't count on it.

I wouldn't either, which is why I've pretty much made up my mind. Kind of ridiculous that we don't have some facts on some of these ports. I would be all over Black Ops II and Assassin's Creed III if I knew a damn thing about how the Wii U versions are, and after the bad word about Mass Effect 3 and Ninja Gaiden, I don't trust shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom