• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwu8991

Banned
I have been loosely following the Wii U launch, I know it controls the TV and system. Any news yet if it's going to control receivers? I'm not terribly interested in one, but if I had a touchscreen remote that turned on my Comcast DVR, TV and receiver, then it's a $350 all in one remote that also plays games. That would make me go to Best Buy tonight.

It can turn on tv

change comcast dvr channnels

but no receiver support

2/3 ain't bad !

Effect

Did Nintendo ever mention something along the lines of releasing add-ons/ updates for Nintendoland?

Don't think so but there was an image showing a version number within Nintendo Land itself. So some people are thinking there could be updates added.

Man, I hate it when they develop a port using a different studio. It always is worse. Are there any historical examples where the port was done by a different studio and turned out better than the original release?

I am looking at Assassin's Creed 3 for Wii U done by Ubisoft Quebec instead of Montreal. Bad sign.

Juice

So do all games support TV-less play on the GamePad? If not, is it labeled on the box?

What's the feature even called?

Rich!

Oi, americans/canadians:

Who's planning on uploading a fuckton of videos and hi res photos of the console/pad/menus/pad range? As a eager UK dude, anything like that would be superb.

Lucent

LOL! I was watching that stream and he switched to his laptop with a parrot sitting on top of it and he played that Gangam Style vid and the parrot sang it.

Was pretty awesome imo.

TriGen

Gamestop just text me. My Nintendo Wii U order is avail Sun AM. 30% bonus credit on my trades to reduce price.

Now if they can send me that in english.

As I said earlier, that's exactly what I got. And like you, I have no clue what time they're opening because Sun AM doesn't really mean much without a number attached to it. Just give me a 10 or an 11. Oh well, I'll go early and if they're not open I'll grab something to eat.

Already playing mine. Hype! Walmart delivered my deluxe at 10:30am today in Chicago. Can't use any of the apps or go online yet until the update tmrw. Funny thing is the cardboard box clearly states "Do Not Sell Until 11/18/12". Lol. Weird enough though that they'd ship me the console but not Mario. Looks like that'll arrive Monday or Tuesday.

HylianTom

Banned
Though I mainly only lurk, my lurking has slowly switched from PoliGAF to here the past few days. Feels good to look forward to a new console instead of worrying about the polls being released.

I can lurk in multiple places, but being crazy-ass busy has meant that it's probably best for me to actively participate in just one place at a time.

Ugh, also Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition is not being developed by Rocksteady but WB Montreal and Burbank. No thanks. I will pass on that too and just get the PS3 version.

AGITΩ

I'm surprised by the currentthis lack of interest when it comes to this system. Up till now its just been me and another guy outside best buy waiting for the wii u. Hardly anyone seems to know what it is. Someone even asked their kid and they said "its like a gameboy" to which they responded with "oh, so it's like a nintendo."
Nintendo advertising for the Wii U just wasn't as amazing as the Wii would like to play ads.

Tim-E

I can lurk in multiple places, but being crazy-ass busy has meant that it's probably best for me to actively participate in just one place at a time.

I've gone from participating exclusively in PoliGAF to transitioning to a PoliGAF/NintenGAF combo.

Pretty good deal at TRU:

ORERb.jpg

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So do all games support TV-less play on the GamePad? If not, is it labeled on the box?

What's the feature even called?
It's called off-tv play and the games that support it are in the OP. No, there is currently no labeling for it on the box.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Just thought of it. Since I'll have mine at midnight and most places aren't doing a midnight launch that means I'll hopefully be able to download the update tonight without the servers being jammed. If I'm lucky anyways.

TriGen

Just thought of it. Since I'll have mine at midnight and most places aren't doing a midnight launch that means I'll hopefully be able to download the update tonight without the servers being jammed. If I'm lucky anyways.

Let's hope this patch goes out soon. I expect everything to be ready, but man, I would have thought they would have put that out by now. It seems weird to wait until exactly 12 am to release the patch. Nintendo, it's okay if the press takes a peek at the eShop before the normal consumer, I won't be mad, just let me download NSMBU and Little Inferno right away.

The Mass Effect 3 port is also done by an external studio. Blech. Darksiders 2 on the other hand looks to be ported by the original developer Vigil Games. That deserves my attention. The others can go to hell.

Ok my TRU online order bros, just talked to a woman in customer service. According to her, status is not changed on preorder items until the day of release (she also mentioned to expect a shipping notice come Monday) so unless you're gotten a delay email from them I think we might be good.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Let's hope this patch goes out soon. I expect everything to be ready, but man, I would have thought they would have put that out by now. It seems weird to wait until exactly 12 am to release the patch. Nintendo, it's okay if the press takes a peek at the eShop before the normal consumer, I won't be mad, just let me download NSMBU and Little Inferno right away.

Yeah, I know, it was supposed to be out Thursday. As long as I can go ahead and update when I get home I'm ok with that though.

BlankaBR

Banned
The Mass Effect 3 port is also done by an external studio. Blech. Darksiders 2 on the other hand looks to be ported by the original developer Vigil Games. That deserves my attention. The others can go to hell.
Yep I think Darksiders2 will have the highest score, also it look like a good game

Effect

Pretty good deal at TRU:

ORERb.jpg

Would love to take advantage of this. Sucks that the nearest ToysRUS is so far that I'd end up spending whatever I save on gas in the end. Making the drive for the deal worthless. :( Need a lot of reasons to head in that direction.

Edit:

Has anyone pick out what their next purchases are going to be if they're just getting one or two games tomorrow or having them arrive in the mail?

Next up for me is certainly going to be New Super Mario Bros U and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge. This might be gotten the last week of November. Should done with Black Ops 2's single player and gotten some decent leveling in there. Hopefully I've made some good progress with ZombiU. Then I won't buy another game until I've beatn Ninja Gaiden and Mario.

That's my primary goal going forward. Not purchasing new games until I've finished a brand new I've just bought. Not going to put Wii games under that though. No longer buying them but will slowly finish the ones I haven't as time goes on. One at a time. Been doing that with my PS3 and made a lot of process in recent weeks.

Nintendo's been doing midnight eShop launches for their full price digital 3DS games too (NSMB2, Layton 5, Paper Mario 3, etc). You can be sure that's exactly when the Wii U update goes up.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What time should I head out to Best Buy? They have more stock than reserves, so after the reserves are doled out it's first-come-first serve. They're doing a midnight release... I was thinking, 6...? Would that be too late? Too early?

e_i

According to the OP, the HDMI cable is 1.5 meters long, or 4.92126 feet.

Edit: Oh, that's for some other country, not the U.S.

BlankaBR

Banned
What time should I head out to Best Buy? They have more stock than reserves, so after the reserves are doled out it's first-come-first serve. They're doing a midnight release... I was thinking, 6...? Would that be too late? Too early?
Dude get a blanket a chair and go camp out right now if you don't have anything else to do..!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dude get a blanket a chair and go camp out right now if you don't have anything else to do..!

:3

I called two hours ago and they said no one was lined up and they have stock well past the reservations. I guess I'll go at 4.

Really hard to say. With the Wii I went to a midnight sale, the line looked like it was getting decently long around 11am so me and a friend got in line at noonish. But that store got 100 Wii's in stock, and the line didn't reach the limit until around 8pm. But with the Wii, I know some Best Buys only got like 20 units in stock on launch day, and their lines were much longer than that.

guek

Banned
From a strictly monetary standpoint, the Target deal is better. Two games at TRU will be 96 dollars. Three games from Target will be 120. So a third game will only be 24 more dollars before tax. It's up to you guys. :p

does the target deal start tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom