• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gamestop did not even have a new copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for PS3 on release day. They were all too happy to sell me a used copy (on release day!) or a new copy that was already opened.

Fuck you, I will go someplace else.

Ugh. Nothing from TRU.com... Should I bail on this point and try another store? If so, which would be better? Walmart / best buy?

Ok my TRU online order bros, just talked to a woman in customer service. According to her, status is not changed on preorder items until the day of release (she also mentioned to expect a shipping notice come Monday) so unless you're gotten a delay email from them I think we might be good.

If I can get to the Walmart in town tomorrow, I'll go to scope out what launch day is like.

This Wii u is the first thing I've bought from GameStop in maybe 6-7 years, I refuse to buy anything from this store unless I'm guaranteed launch day system

TriGen

Well, this is it. After 18 months of speculation since its leak as project café back in April 2011, we are less then 24 hours away from getting a Wii U in North America! It's been a great ride and lead to 7 speculation threads and I've met many people on NintendoGaf. I wish you all the best with your Wii U's and look forward to exchanging NinID's with you!

Sorry Europeans and Asians....this post don't apply to you :)

Hyped!

Linkhero1

Well, this is it. After 18 months of speculation since its leak as project café back in April 2011, we are less then 24 hours away from getting a Wii U in North America! It's been a great ride and lead to 7 speculation threads and I've met many people on NintendoGaf. I wish you all the best with your Wii U's and look forward to exchanging NinID's with you!

Sorry Europeans and Asians....this post don't apply to you :)

I'm more hyped than I was in the past year. Can't wait to get my hands on the thing. It was nice speculating with all of you guys as well.

x2

Heading out to get in line at the Nintendo World Store and capture Reggie's Mii. C'moooon Midnight.
I'm starting to get anxiety. Was planning to go around 10, but now I'm thinking I should head out earlier. I preordered, usually at NWS that fast tracks you ahead of the walk in plebs, but if the line's stretching around Rockefeller Center like Wii was, they may be like "fuck it, wait". :/

It's the busiest time for over worked and underpaid retail employees. Mistakes happen and entitled asshole customers only make their job worse.

Best Buy signed a contract with Nintendo saying they would train their employees properly so none of the devices would get sold early. The devices in the back are clearly labeled in bright lettering when to sell them.

So if a mistake was made, then it's Best Buy's problem, they apparently didn't take the contract seriously.

This wouldn't be their first time. Blame the people who employed them

Have you worked in retail? I did at Macy's during the Christmas season a while ago just for some extra money and they don't tell you everything during training. You have to rely a lot on other people who worked their longer. I'm sure whomever sold it probably didn't know any better...likely not some video game nerd like us that knows the consequences and such.

Man, the wait until 11 AM tomorrow is gonna be a killer. Especially since I already know I am not gonna be able to sleep tonight, I am never able to the night before a big game launch.

Teknoman

Have you worked in retail? I did at Macy's during the Christmas season a while ago just for some extra money and they don't tell you everything during training. You have to rely a lot on other people who worked their longer. I'm sure whomever sold it probably didn't know any better...likely not some video game nerd like us that knows the consequences and such.

The register should have also given them a street dated message so they couldnt just straight ring it up.

lednerg

Will send you my NiN once I have one :p

I wonder what happened to the rest. Off the top of my head:

HylianTom
GameplayWhore
ColdBlooder
Cabbie
lednerg
guek
axisofweevils

Sorry if I missed anyone. I miss these guys.

I'm still here, but am mostly in Off Topic these days.

I'm not getting a Wii U just yet due to financial reasons, but when I do, I'll add my name to whatever NiN list you guys come up with.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
The register should have also given them a street dated message so they couldnt just straight ring it up.

And many times they are (at least from what I've heard), it simply won't allow it to be rung up until 12 AM tonight/tomorrow. But sometimes that's not the way it turns out.

Honestly I couldn't tell you that. I'm just saying from my personal experience they don't teach you everything during training and the person that sold it may have not been knowledgeable on the matter. Honestly I'd just take the $25, wait a few hours, and maybe save someones job lol...just me though.

Gamefly has it "Available Now". I would assume so if that's the case. They don't usually fuck things up.
You're right, it is. You can also add Ben 10 Omniverse (Vicious Cycle) to the orig dev launch day list. Scribblenauts Unlimited (5th Cell) too, though that's a bit different since it's leading on Wii U and being ported from there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone know which of the retail games will hit the eShop tonight? Epic Mickey probably is, but I'm also wondering about Batman.

Dartastic

Yeah it sucks. There aren't any great B2G1 Free deals this year =/
I was planning on just getting Mario and Zombi U, but then that B2G1 50% off deal at Target popped up, and stupid TRU doesn't seem to be stocking Zombi U so I can't do their deal. Looks like I'll be getting a copy of BLOPS.

HylianTom

Banned
Gamestop text here as well. May play some Metroid Prime to pass the time.

I'm getting a strange urge to play through RE4 one more time.

I already have a save file that'll start off with Ashley in a suit of armor and Leon with a suitcase full of shotgun shells. It'd be a fun, easy playthrough..

Linkhero1

I was planning on just getting Mario and Zombi U, but then that B2G1 50% off deal at Target popped up, and stupid TRU doesn't seem to be stocking Zombi U so I can't do their deal. Looks like I'll be getting a copy of BLOPS.

Likewise. Looks like I'll only be picking up Mario until better deals come along.

Rootbeer

Banned
The only Wii U item I did not order from gamestop, my Wii U Pro Controller, is "shipping soon" from amazon :D I can go without it until Mon or Tues, no big.

I'm getting a strange urge to play through RE4 one more time.

I already have a save file that'll start off with Ashley in a suit of armor and Leon with a suitcase full of shotgun shells. It'd be a fun, easy playthrough..

I never did play the Wii version of RE4 but I heard a lot of good things. I was going to trade in my Wii tomorrow to help pay something off after I get my VC games transferred, but I'm oddly finding myself having some sentimentality toward it. The Wii was my least favorite console out of "the three" but looking back, it's the only one that didn't die on me, and it's the only one I didn't get rid of out of boredom. It was disappointing to me when it comes to volume of great software, but then I think about how much more I enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, both Zelda's, Metroid Prime 3, etc. than most of these texture behemoths on the other consoles lacking actual great game design.

I don't know. I might keep it. That little fucker was great.

CaLe

I got a call from Gamestop telling me that WiiU order can be picked up tomorrow.

Hilarious thing I was told:

You should also get our disc protection warranty, we don't know how fragile the disks will be yet and it will be hard to get another copy of those games.

Jubbly

I'm a PC guy and am making a brave step into consoling gaming with the Wii U, but I have a question about audio - how do I get max quality sound from it? The Nintendo site says:

Audio Output Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI port, or analogue output via the AV Multi Out connector.

And the ports are apparently like so:

wii_u_output.jpg

Do I therefore connect the HDMI from the Wii U to my TV, and then use the Optical Out on the TV to connect to the Optical In on my my speaker system?

surround-sound-speakers-z906-gallery-8.png

Apologies for the scrubby question; I can build PCs blindfolded and configure the most complex networks known to man, but this shit baffles me.

I got a call from some robot named Ivey saying the Wii U is out tomorrow, does that mean I am good to go getting my preordered fulfilled???

Weird, other people seem to have gotten a real call from a real person and not a recording or is this what they do???

Teknoman

Honestly I couldn't tell you that. I'm just saying from my personal experience they don't teach you everything during training and the person that sold it may have not been knowledgeable on the matter. Honestly I'd just take the $25, wait a few hours, and maybe save someones job lol...just me though.

Well if he's not going to actually loose his system, and hes getting a free 25 bucks, I guess its not that big of a deal. I just assumed they wanted to refund his money + 25 dollar giftcard and then have him chance it on launch.

Arc07

Do I therefore connect the HDMI from the Wii U to my TV, and then use the Optical Out on the TV to connect to the Optical In on my my speaker system?
I had that same dilemma. Unfortunately I was told that the best I'd get from doing that is basic stereo sound. Can be fixed easily though. Go buy a new receiver.

Drago

Well, after an awkward phone call with Gamestop, they said that they have enough units for all Deluxe and Basic preorders, and are actually opening up at 9 instead of 10.

Now, I wait.

I'm a PC guy and am making a brave step into consoling gaming with the Wii U, but I have a question about audio - how do I get max quality sound from it? The Nintendo site says:

And the ports are apparently like so:

wii_u_output.jpg

surround-sound-speakers-z906-gallery-8.png

Apologies for the scrubby question; I can build PCs blindfolded and configure the most complex networks known to man, but this shit baffles me.

If you have a up to date speaker system with HDMI, simply plug the Wii U into your receiver using HDMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom