• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

As I said earlier, that's exactly what I got. And like you, I have no clue what time they're opening because Sun AM doesn't really mean much without a number attached to it. Just give me a 10 or an 11. Oh well, I'll go early and if they're not open I'll grab something to eat.

I got the text too, and the GameStop I go said they'll open regularly at 11 am, but figures there will be a decent line. I don't need to be first in line if I'm guaranteed one, so I'll go get it whenever tomorrow.

It sucks that they aren't doing a midnight launch when they had one for forza horizon of all things. There's always the next Xbox. MS knows how to hype a product and have huge releases.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Really hard to say. With the Wii I went to a midnight sale, the line looked like it was getting decently long around 11am so me and a friend got in line at noonish. But that store got 100 Wii's in stock, and the line didn't reach the limit until around 8pm

I see...

I don't want there to be no line when I get there and be standing like a doofus, but I don't want to get there too late obviously...

Wait, which store had 100 Wii's on launch day?! o_0

Banned
Well, this is it. After 18 months of speculation since its leak as project café back in April 2011, we are less then 24 hours away from getting a Wii U in North America! It's been a great ride and lead to 7 speculation threads and I've met many people on NintendoGaf. I wish you all the best with your Wii U's and look forward to exchanging NinID's with you!

Sorry Europeans and Asians....this post don't apply to you :)

Boogiepop

Just realized my Preorder receipt to Best Buy has a big old stripe where nothing was printed down the center. I'm assuming that won't be a problem and they'll be able to find it in their system, right?

Ok my TRU online order bros, just talked to a woman in customer service. According to her, status is not changed on preorder items until the day of release (she also mentioned to expect a shipping notice come Monday) so unless you're gotten a delay email from them I think we might be good.

Thanks for following up on this. Had debated whether calling would be worth my time, honestly. :lol

Wait, which store had 100 Wii's on launch day?! o_0

Redmond, WA is a huge area for gamers, with both Nintendo and Microsoft and a ton of game developers in the area. The bigger department stores in the area like Target and Fred Meyer got lots of Wii's in stock because of that (surprisingly, GameStop did NOT).

AGITΩ

What time should I head out to Best Buy? They have more stock than reserves, so after the reserves are doled out it's first-come-first serve. They're doing a midnight release... I was thinking, 6...? Would that be too late? Too early?

Got you beat by a day and 8 hours.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Go at 8 or 9, I did it for the wii and its kind of fun the people are all hyped and everyone talk to each other

Cool, thanks!

AGITΩ;44445900 said:
Got you beat by a day and 8 hours.

What store?! o_0

Redmond, WA is a huge area for gamers, with both Nintendo and Microsoft and a ton of game developers in the area. The bigger department stores in the area like Target and Fred Meyer got lots of Wii's in stock because of that (surprisingly, GameStop did NOT).

Wow, interesting. I think the store I got my Wii from had 29 (only 17 copies of Zelda!)

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
From a strictly monetary standpoint, the Target deal is better. Two games at TRU will be 96 dollars. Three games from Target will be 120. So a third game will only be 24 more dollars before tax. It's up to you guys. :p

I'm not sure I follow your math. The Target deal is B2G1 50% off correct? This means you'd get 3 games for about $150, putting your average price per game at $50. With the Toys 'r Us deal, you get two games for 96 bucks, which puts the price per game at only $48. It's a minor price differential to be sure, but as far as I can tell, Toys 'r Us comes out on top.

Salz01

Read the OT but not exactly sure if I can play old wii games (that I bought on CD) like donkey kong, on the wiiu's controller. So my wife watches tv ( desperate housewives) and I can play games on the controller. Will that work?

no_to_co

From a strictly monetary standpoint, the Target deal is better. Two games at TRU will be 96 dollars. Three games from Target will be 120. So a third game will only be 24 more dollars before tax. It's up to you guys. :p

are you sure? 2 games at regular price plus one 50% off equals $150.

I have no clue what game I'm excited for at this point; it's unclear if there's a must-have launch title as everything seemingly is either a lazy port or was just not executed properly.
I can't find a reason to buy Mario. I'm bitter that for their first Mario game for a console launch, they decided to play it so safe and not release a new style. The ports seem rushed...

Man I wish Rayman Legends were here.

You should read reviews of New Super Mario U, they pretty much all agree that the game plays like the first true sequel to Super Mario World, taking Mario World play and evolving it. It apparently *is* a killer-app.

Haint

I was just told by a US Gamestop they won't be able to meet all PO's--only got 8 in and PO'ed 15. Is this a running issues with other GS locations or isolated incident?

NateDrake

Read the OT but not exactly sure if I can play old wii games (that I bought on CD) like donkey kong, on the wiiu's controller. So my wife watches tv ( desperate housewives) and I can play games on the controller. Will that work?

You cannot play Wii games on the Wii U GamePad.

I was just told by a US Gamestop they won't be able to meet all PO's--only got 8 in and PO'ed 15. Is this a running issues with other GS locations or isolated incident?

Dunno. I didn't preorder and called 2 gamestops nearby and they said they have to honor reserves then waiting list first...no clue what the difference is tbh lol

HylianTom

Banned

That's some scary shit there.

I just got off the phone with my GameStop; the lady there told me they'd have no problem fulfilling their preorders, but not much beyond that level.

I'm still getting there an hour early, just for good measure. I just wish they'd open earlier. Poop.

Got a call from the Gamestop about 30 minutes ago saying that my Wii U was ready to go for tomorrow, forgot to ask them if my copy of Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed would be there tomorrow though. Still, EXCITEMENT!

Dunno. I didn't preorder and called 2 gamestops nearby and they said they have to honor reserves then waiting list first...no clue what the difference is tbh lol

Gamestop will not be able to sell to walk-ins. They have a waiting list that is at least 250,000 people long. Pre-orders were for folks that got in early and they knew how many systems they had. The wait list is for all the other people, who will get the system once they get more stock in. They pay the yearly sub for the Power Up program or whatever the hell it is called.

Your best bet is to try a department store I think.

Teknoman

I have no clue what game I'm excited for at this point; it's unclear if there's a must-have launch title as everything seemingly is either a lazy port or was just not executed properly.
I can't find a reason to buy Mario. I'm bitter that for their first Mario game for a console launch, they decided to play it so safe and not release a new style. The ports seem rushed...

On the bright side, Mario still looks nice and sharp, and the game does look pretty challenging. Does suck that the music is pretty much the same outside a new main theme. I know some themes will stay the same regardless like the underground theme appearing in multiple games, but it would have been nice to get a Mario World style fully original soundtrack.

Would have been nice if they touched on this in an Iwata Asks.

Drago

I really hope my Gamestop has some Basic stock.

I was the first preorder for basic, so they just need 1 unit... please...

The Mass Effect 3 port is also done by an external studio. Blech. Darksiders 2 on the other hand looks to be ported by the original developer Vigil Games. That deserves my attention. The others can go to hell.
Of the retail launch ports:

Original Developers
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Treyarch)
Darksiders II (Vigil Games)
FIFA Soccer 13 (EA Canada)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft Paris)
Madden NFL 13 (EA Tiburon)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Team Ninja)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Sumo Digital)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (Namco)
Transformers Prime: The Game (Now Production)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (Omega Force)

Outsourced Developers
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft Quebec)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (WB Games Montreal)
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Heavy Iron Studios)
Mass Effect III: Special Edition (Straight Right)
Skylanders: Giants (Vicarious Visions)

Krakatoa

Just paid of my remaining balance at GameStop. The Employee seemed very down about the lack of WII U's.

She told me everyone's preorders were okay, but they had no idea when they would be getting the next batch.

I guess getting asked the same question "do you any have WII U's tomorrow" will do that to you.

Anyway I am happy that mine is guaranteed. Roll on tomorrow 09:00 :)
:)

Teknoman

Got a call from the Gamestop about 30 minutes ago saying that my Wii U was ready to go for tomorrow, forgot to ask them if my copy of Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed would be there tomorrow though. Still, EXCITEMENT!

It should be. We got those in with a shipment of the other versions.

Gamestop will not be able to sell to walk-ins. They have a waiting list that is at least 250,000 people long. Pre-orders were for folks that got in early and they knew how many systems they had. The wait list is for all the other people, who will get the system once they get more stock in. They pay the yearly sub for the Power Up program or whatever the hell it is called.

Your best bet is to try a department store I think.

Yeah, I called bestbuy and they said they should have extras

Of the retail launch ports:

Original Developers
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Treyarch)
Darksiders II (Vigil Games)
FIFA Soccer 13 (EA Canada)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft Paris)
Madden NFL 13 (EA Tiburon)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Team Ninja)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Sumo Digital)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (Namco)
Transformers Prime: The Game (Now Production)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (Omega Force)

Outsourced Developers
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft Quebec)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (WB Games Montreal)
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Heavy Iron Studios)
Mass Effect III: Special Edition (Straight Right)
Skylanders: Giants (Vicarious Visions)

Awesome, thanks.

But, what about NBA 2k13? My assumption is that it's original.

Fox Mulder

Mine said they only got enough consoles to cover preorders. I was told to my face that I'll get one tomorrow.

Just paid of my remaining balance at GameStop. The Employee seemed very down about the lack of WII U's.

She told me everyone's preorders were okay, but they had no idea when they would be getting the next batch.

I guess getting asked the same question "do you any have WII U's tomorrow" will do that to you.

Anyway I am happy that mine is guaranteed. Roll on tomorrow 09:00 :)
:)

I called 2 and they said next batch is January. No idea if that applies to everywhere or what.

rocK`

Banned
Ugh. Nothing from TRU.com... Should I bail on this point and try another store? If so, which would be better? Walmart / best buy?

That's incorrect - we do not know if it can support receivers or not. Nowhere has there been any information either way.

Yup, and it can change your TV's Input.

As someone who received their system today, and has a high end Pioneer receiver, let me tell you definitively NO IT DOES NOT support receivers in any way at all.

The system picked up my TV, has issues with my RCN TiVo and has ZERO compatibility with my receiver. Major disappointment.

Yeah, picking up mine in Redmond (Town Center). Expecting to have to wait in line forever tomorrow morning, but getting excited.

I called 2 and they said next batch is January. No idea if that applies to everywhere or what.

My assumption is that people on the wait list will be able to get their systems in January. That just sucks horribly for those folks and those hoping to get one from Gamestop without a wait list or a preorder.

Gamestop these days is basically a used and preorder shop anyway. If you don't want used games or preorder anything, it is probably best to try another retailer.

dwu8991

Banned

Just invite friends over for Nintendo land !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom