• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised the press doesn't have the Day 1 patch yet. Cutting it a little close for midnight launches.

The have under 8 hours to get it together if they are gonna hit the east coast launches. I will be baffled if the patch doesn't hit. Not having online functionality is a huge blow against a bunch of the launch games.

Uggh. That's a high-end PC speaker system and it does not have HDMI.

You can try what you suggested, but it might not work. I remember having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to get TV sound to my receiver and it worked through that digital optical out. It's worth a shot.

There is always the AV cables, but then i think you would lose HD and then it's not worth it at that point.

Hoodbury

Just played some rounds of Mario Chase with my wife and my parents stopped over as well. None of them are very big in video games but have played the Wii before. With me being Mario they had no chance, I don't know if it's gamer instinct or what but I could take a bathroom break and still they wouldn't have caught me.

When we let my mom be the Mario we caught her within 30 seconds and when my dad tried being mario we got him with 3 seconds left.

But most importantly everyone seemed like they were having a really fun time.

Have also played some of the ninja star game and got to the first boss but died on him. Also played Donkey kong and that is tough, didn't get too far on that yet.

Parents left and the wife needs to get ready to go out tonight so now I'll try some more single player games.

Jtrizzy

If have optical only on your receiver, you will not be getting Dolby digital or any thing of the sort. Sucks, I recently bought an Hdmi 1.4 receiver because the same issue exists in PC gaming.

Dartastic

If have optical only on your receiver, you will not be getting Dolby digital or any thing of the sort. Sucks, I recently bought an Hdmi 1.4 receiver because the same issue exists in PC gaming.
I kinda still can't believe that they didn't include support for Dolby or DTS. Bullshit.

Soroc

Hi all!

Excited for the launch! Haven't kept up this morning but does anyone know if the media was able to system update yet or confirmation of when the update is going to happen?

Edit: just saw the quoted post above. Wow! Still no patch, shit gonna get crazy tonight

dwu8991

Banned
Just played some rounds of Mario Chase with my wife and my parents stopped over as well. None of them are very big in video games but have played the Wii before. With me being Mario they had no chance, I don't know if it's gamer instinct or what but I could take a bathroom break and still they wouldn't have caught me.

When we let my mom be the Mario we caught her within 30 seconds and when my dad tried being mario we got him with 3 seconds left.

But most importantly everyone seemed like they were having a really fun time.

Have also played some of the ninja star game and got to the first boss but died on him. Also played Donkey kong and that is tough, didn't get too far on that yet.

Parents left and the wife needs to get ready to go out tonight so now I'll try some more single player games.

THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM !!!

pestul

We need someone to try this with an efficient HDMI to Optical switch.. there's already been a few sightings of Dolby Digital on game boxes. Not to mention the OP put in DD support (?) as a possibility in specs.\

Audio Output: Uses six-channel PCM linear output via HDMI connector, or analog output via the AV Multi Out connector. Also supports Dolby Digital.

Stewox

Banned
Uggh. That's a high-end PC speaker system and it does not have HDMI.

You would need a Audio/video splitter or just a splitter that doubles into two outputs and one goes into speakers

I really don't like the fact they didn't provide any info on this. Optical out would be nice

Jtrizzy

I kinda still can't believe that they didn't include support for Dolby or DTS. Bullshit.

I was just talking if you were to run the Hdmi your tv, then optical to your receiver, you will only get 2 channel audio. I'm sure he games support one of those two, ill be interested to see which ones they do.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There has?

I thought this was discussed to death in the "no optical out? fix this!" thread. Did I miss something? I thought all it was supporting was PCM.

Okay. I'm fine with that as long as it supports surround sound for games via hdmi. It does support that doesn't it? It's not just stereo is it.

luffeN

Rösti, small typo in the Europe post: "Basic Pack retails for €299.99*, Deluxe Pack retails for $349.99€." One dollar sign too much.

Well, this is it. After 18 months of speculation since its leak as project café back in April 2011, we are less then 24 hours away from getting a Wii U in North America! It's been a great ride and lead to 7 speculation threads and I've met many people on NintendoGaf. I wish you all the best with your Wii U's and look forward to exchanging NinID's with you!

Sorry Europeans and Asians....this post don't apply to you :)

Well I hope you beta testers do a good job so when it releases properly consumers that Nintendo actually care about don't have any issues.

Kamek

The gamestop i preordered from in queens was hit hard by sandy and i just realized that they weren't opened today :'((((((((((((((. they were going to do a midnight release too. I THINK one of the other gamestops are honoring those preorders so I hope it works out. anyone else have this issue nyc gaf?

Just waiting for tomorrow. Pick up my Wii U, NSMB, and ZombiU. picked up Scribblenauts earlier in the week. Last Story, Tatsunoko vs Capcom are on my shelf waiting.

Also using my 3x reward points tomorrow on the pickup so rough 500 dollars or so will turn into 30 back in reward certs. Bring it on!

You've waited for this day for so long. You wanted to see the awesomest that the gods had in store for you and your wait will not be invane. You have waited, so now I finally present the WiiU Countdown - Tomorrow Remains video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLb4HAcYZbQ

I will post my NiN ID for all you peasants tomorrow so that you all can have a chance be be mine, AKA the Wii Master AKA the King's friend. You all will bow before your true master of the world.

OK OK.l.couldn't think of anything else to say. Enjoy the video and lookout for one more in the next week of me getting it. I will post my NiN ID tomorrow if anyone wants to add mii.

iammeiam

Still waiting on a call from Gamestop. I preordered the system and controller in-store and did in-store-pickup on ZombiU and Mario through their website, so somebody should be calling me to pick up something tomorrow for Pete's sake.

I'll call 'em closer to close tonight if I still haven't heard anything. Time to go clear out space in my entertainment center.

antonz

Still waiting on a call from Gamestop. I preordered the system and controller in-store and did in-store-pickup on ZombiU and Mario through their website, so somebody should be calling me to pick up something tomorrow for Pete's sake.

I'll call 'em closer to close tonight if I still haven't heard anything. Time to go clear out space in my entertainment center.

I just got my call a bit ago. The system is probably rolling out the calls over the day

I seem to finally have confirmation that I will be getting my deluxe from Toys R Us in Toronto tomorrow. Apparently I'm 3rd on the list.

Yeah, haven't gotten anything either, but I've changed/updated my number in their system since my preorder. Before I knew they were calling, I talked to one of the employees this morning and they basically said "if you preordered, you're getting one."

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I have a Bose Lifestyle 35. I can only get digital coaxial and optical audio signals. No HDMI audio. WHOMP. :/

Not great. You can get HDMI splitter boxes that will output via optical but they are not cheap.
Maybe Ninty will be able to add the functionality via a software update.

zroid

Banned
I would have camped if damned Nintendo had made enough Deluxe systems for the lower-priority shops and chains to get some.

As it stands... I'm waiting till Monday for delivery :(

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I can't believe the console is already in the hands of some, all those speculation threads, this wait, comes to an end :)

It was a fun ride and i hope i spiced it up enough, see you soon on Miiverse & all guys :)

I can't wait! Not too much longer now...

On a sidenote, I think it was in this thread that someone suggested going to Toys R Us for extra Wii Remote Pluses - on the cheap - by buying Flingsmash. I wanted to thank him/her for that piece of information. I went there last night and picked up 2 Flingsmash games with the Remote Plus inside - The first one was clearanced for $25 - the 2nd one was only $15 (Buy 1 Wii game the second is 40% off). So - do the math - for $40 I got 2 Wii Remote Pluses and 2 copies of Flingsmash. Not bad at all :)

So I'm having a big Wii U launch party tomorrow afternoon - about 12 people should be coming over. Gonna rock out with some multiplayer action: Mario, Nintendoland, Sonic Racing, Tank Tank Tank, and Tekken. I'll play some Zombi U, Darksiders 2, and Assassin's Creed 3 before the company starts arriving.

Anyone else planning a get-together with a bunch of friends? What games are you most excited to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom