• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thraktor

I can't believe the console is already in the hands of some, all those speculation threads, this wait, comes to an end :)

It was a fun ride and i hope i spiced it up enough, see you soon on Miiverse & all guys :)

Yeah, it does make the next two weeks for those of us in Europe a peculiar kind of torture, though...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can't wait to fill Miiverse full of crudely drawn veiny phalluses.

Looks like I'll be hanging Around for Fred Meyers midnight launch. no reserve or anything...just show up and wait in line for a ticket. Looks like I'll probably have one tonight...and I don't know much about the system other than it has a new Mario. And isn't that all you really need?

Teknoman

Messing around with Zero Mission awhile ago, and just had some thoughts about a true Metroid game on WiiU. Map on touch screen/suit inventory and data log. Dont let me down Nintendo.

Looking forward to see how you compare and contrast the games and systems.

Yeah. As happy as I am that Nintendo has finally gone HD I think the real test in the long run will be how well the utilize the Gamepad.

I'm excited for the Wii U right now because it's a new system. As a gamer, I smell the blood in the water and have to have it. It's just in my nature. There's a lot to be excited about though and if Nintendo keeps the 3rd parties happy I think I will have a lot of fun with this system.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The 24 hour Wal-Mart will have one for me at midnight.

Whee.

I suppose I should finish my two grad school papers first, though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Another "got my gamestop txt" post here :D Being third to pre-order at my store I knew I was covered, but the text is still reassuring ^__^

Dartastic

Not great. You can get HDMI splitter boxes that will output via optical but they are not cheap.
Maybe Ninty will be able to add the functionality via a software update.
I know. I actually have one of those already. My stupid TV only has two HDMI inputs and no audio outputs of any kind. I run my PS3 and Xbox to the HDMI switcher and optical to my Bose. I mean, I can't really complain much about it because a) it works and sounds pretty damn good, and b) I got it basically for free. So there's that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Okay. I'm fine with that as long as it supports surround sound for games via hdmi. It does support that doesn't it? It's not just stereo is it.

I ran out of HDMI inputs on my receibpver (unless I use the front one which is supposed to be for temporary use etc), so until I hear impressions of must-have Nintendo games with great surround sound, I'm afraid mine will be going direct to my TV and stereo only

(ARC might work to send audio down to the receiver if I'm lucky, but that's an area I've not tested fully)

They had it being used for one player on split screen at E3 so I'd say it's likely. But no true confirmation beyond that.

I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed. I just don't have the source available. I'm considering the double dip on it too but there is no Nuketown confirmation yet and I honestly don't know the quality of the product on Wii U.

I don't want to pay for a poor port.

I stopped by Wal-Mart today and was extremely close to snagging one from the cashier.

Unfortunately, another woman came and said they couldn't release them until tomorrow. I'm very worried because I already paid off the entire console before they stopped me. They assured me that as long as I had the receipt, it would be okay, but I'm still rather wary.

I wonder if the day 1 update is live yet. Kinda crazy how close they're cutting it.

It's crazy but not unheard of. I had a 360 about a week early and they didn't have all the Live stuff implemented until about 3 days before launch. This is getting pretty insane though.

Mrbob

Flingsmash, that's what it was. I couldn't remember what the motion plus bundle was. Sweet, put in another order at the Toys R Us website for Flingsmash, Punch Out, Sin and Punishment for 50 bucks. Now I just need a nunchuck and I'm set.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
I wonder if the day 1 update is live yet. Kinda crazy how close they're cutting it.

As of 30 or so minutes ago according to Rich on IGN it was not. Getting a bit silly now.

Kinda curious what he's talking about here:
"Should have some really interesting non-review Wii U related content Monday or Tuesday. And lots of reviews too!"

I was talking to some best buy employee and he told me there won't be any extra units tomorrow and in fact they had to cancel a big chunk of their preorders because they don't have enough units. When I asked him how many units they would be getting he said "we have no idea". Is there any truth to this or was he just pulling shit out of his ass like BB usually does?

Best Buy, you are my hero.

OtaHw.png

I was talking to some best buy employee and he told me there won't be any extra units tomorrow and in fact they had to cancel a big chunk of their preorders because they don't have enough units. When I asked him how many units they would be getting he said "we have no idea". Is there any truth to this or was he just pulling shit out of his ass like BB usually does?

Ha! I called mine and they all said they have no idea how many they are getting but they will probably have extras

I've been hearing similar rumors. He should know how many units they have though.

Dartastic

I don't suppose that there's been any word on the quality of BLOPS for the Wii U? I'd really like to know if it's a decent port before I go in tomorrow. :/

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
I don't suppose that there's been any word on the quality of BLOPS for the Wii U? I'd really like to know if it's a decent port before I go in tomorrow. :/

I'm supposed to be getting a copy of Activision this week, but I think beyond the stuff shown off around E3 there hasn't really been much in the way of news etc. that I know of.

It was supposed to be out Thursday according to GTs Livestream last night.

Which makes me think there might have been an issue. Some people are speculating that they didn't want to leak any features but Nintendo has pretty much revealed everything at this point. I'm wondering if this ties into the delay of some of the TVii features until December. It was a little surprising how last minute they announced that.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

No there hasn't been. We're kind of in the dark regarding all the PS3/360 ports which is why I would caution anyone on picking them up right away.

taoofjord

I pre-ordered on September 15th from Toys R Us online before they were sold out of their launch stock, now I'm being told that it's backordered. I really, really wish I pre-ordered from Gamestop before they sold out. Toys R Us is an awful company.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So indecision left me with a desire to buy this system but no preorder. I thought that was going to be a problem, but second store I called (a Target store) said they only had 8 preorders and were getting 32 systems. So I'm not to worried.

The first store I called was gamestop, which was all sold out to preorders, but gamestop is a pretty obvious place to go to preorder a thing like this, and the midnight launch makes them one of the first choices.

In the end i only really have to wait 8 extra hours due to lack of preorder. Not too bad really.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
Which makes me think there might have been an issue. Some people are speculating that they didn't want to leak any features but Nintendo has pretty much revealed everything at this point. I'm wondering if this ties into the delay of some of the TVii features until December. It was a little surprising how last minute they announced that.

Yeah, and I have no idea how they coded it but it makes me wonder if they are having to do more work to get all the TVii stuff out of the initial patch. I was wondering earlier if part of the load times were because the OS was incomplete and still looking for parts that weren't there. Curious to see if the update will improve the load times we've been seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom