• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will this be the narrative that history will enshrine when talking about Xbox in the future?

King Dazzar

Just initially but they pulled kinect out when they realized they were getting the butts kicked by PS4 as it was $100 cheaper. That brought the price down to match PS4, but it was already too late. The gen was already lost.
I missed all that console era as I was still PC gaming. I always thought not only the initial cost, but the PS4 was a quicker bit of kit wasnt it? I jumped in on the release of the X1X when HDR was a mess on PC. And loved it for some time. But even then, I was already getting fatigued with Phil telling me, just wait next year we've got great shit coming. Man, that was back in 2017/18 too lol. The second give away was when Phil told me Crackdown 3 was great and how much he loved it. Should of bailed then...

Last edited:
The error with GamePass, is that it could only be viable with a MUCH bigger subscriber base than they were ever going to get, in order to break even.

Microsoft mistakenly thought that they can convince people to subscribe if it was "cheap enough".

But they missed the boat, because League of Legends in 2009 created the monster that was "free to play". Free To Pay became the most broad and popular way for non-gamers AND gamers alike to play games. And no matter how cheap GamePass is made to be, they will never be cheaper than FREE. And GamePass will never have the likes of Fortnite as a part of its portfolio, the math just doesn't work.

GamePass is an old idea that doesn't work in the modern era. There are still people who would pay for it, but not enough of them to actually sustain it. Free-To-Play basically ate GamePass's lunch.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I missed all that console era as I was still PC gaming. I always thought not only the initial cost, but the PS4 was a quicker bit of kit wasnt it? I jumped in on the release of the X1X when HDR was a mess on PC. And loved it for some time. But even then, I was already getting fatigued with Phil telling me, just wait next year we've got great shit coming. Man, that was back in 2017/18 too lol. The second give away was when Phil told me Crackdown 3 was great and how much he loved it. Should of bailed then...

Yeah, PS4 was more powerful which made the price difference even more of a big deal. Phil has proven time and time again that he has little to no idea what a good video game looks like.

Top Bottom