• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomcat

lol. Now Google are just trolling. Microsoft is almost done with getting CalDAV on Windows Phone and they kill it.

Looks like they aren't that into open standards after all. Now MS has to use Google's calendar API...

CalDAV API will become available for whitelisted developers, and will be shut down for other developers on September 16, 2013. Most developers’ use cases are handled well by Google Calendar API, which we recommend using instead. If you’re a developer and the Calendar API won’t work for you, please fill out this form to tell us about your use case and request access to whitelisted-only CalDAV API.

probably ms is a whitelisted developer

I hope....

maeh2k

probably ms is a whitelisted developer

I hope....

Just looked at the EAS announcement again (source):
Google Sync was designed to allow access to Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts via the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® protocol. With the recent launch of CardDAV, Google now offers similar access via IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV, making it possible to build a seamless sync experience using open protocols.

And now they switch to a proprietary API ^^

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty funny, you've got to admit. Microsoft have fallen so far in recent years that Google can troll them with a calendar API.

kazinova

Good you made a thread for the game. It would nice to see this game make some press, especially on gaming podcasts since they generally only mention iOS games (Skulls was an exception).

I'll talk about it on my podcast, but since we aren't minor internet celebrities it won't matter...weep wop.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's pretty funny, you've got to admit. Microsoft have fallen so far in recent years that Google can troll them with a calendar API.

Its Microsoft's fault. They haven't even updated their own calendar to Metro. Calendar isn't even a big deal for me, but I'm not switching until they update the calendar to be as quick and sleek as their new outlook web email. When that happens, I'll dump Google calendar.

HTC honored with top design award

Windows Phone 8X by HTC and Windows Phone 8S by HTC receive internationally-renowned red dot award for product design

Bellevue, Wash. – March 14, 2013 – HTC Corporation (HTC), a global leader in mobile innovation and design, has received the prestigious “red dot award: product design 2013” for the Windows® Phone 8X by HTC® and the Windows Phone 8S by HTC, recognizing its high-quality design. One of the world’s largest and most respected design competitions, the red dot design award recognizes HTC’s outstanding and innovative design amongst its peers.

Prof. Dr. Peter Zec, initiator and CEO of the red dot design award, said: “HTC’s Windows Phone 8X and 8S not only demonstrated an extraordinary design quality, but also showed that design is an integral part of innovative product solutions. We are pleased to award the ‘red dot’ to HTC.”

“We are honored to again receive the prestigious red dot design awards, this time for the Windows Phone 8X by HTC and the Windows Phone 8S by HTC,” said Scott Croyle, vice president of design at HTC. “This recognition is testament to the hard work and commitment from countless HTC employees. Our design teams are constantly looking for design breakthroughs to create products that not only look great but also bring our customers the most unique experience.”
http://www.htc.com/www/about/newsroom/2013/2013-03-14-htc-honored-with-top-design-award

I don't want to say "well deserved", because I'm not a huge fan of the 8X design, but I'm glad it's not Nokia. It's time that they move on from their boring flagship design.

HTC honored with top design award

Windows Phone 8X by HTC and Windows Phone 8S by HTC receive internationally-renowned red dot award for product design

http://www.htc.com/www/about/newsroom/2013/2013-03-14-htc-honored-with-top-design-award

I don't want to say "well deserved", because I'm not a huge fan of the 8X design, but I'm glad it's not Nokia. It's time that they move on from their boring flagship design.

What I find funny are the comments that the 8x is a copy of that Android One(x). I still see that mentioned every once and a while, and I just smh. The 8X's build feels so much more solid than the One did, and it's shape varies fairly dramatically. It really is quite a bit nicer (imo).

As for WP to WP: 8X pillows your hand, while the 920 is more of a bulletproof glass feel.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
otQbFOu.gif

Nokia does seem to be moving away from the unibody design though. All of their phones going forward will probably have removable shells with various colors and functions.

MCD

otQbFOu.gif

Nokia does seem to be moving away from the unibody design though. All of their phones going forward will probably have removable shells with various colors and functions.

Except for their flagship phone like the 920.

8X deserves it but the color variants had the peeling issue which was not cool.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I like both the 8x and the 920, but I like the feel of the 920 better. It feels more solid (the 8x buttons are a bit eh) and flahshippy than HTC's.

Then again, I lift.

Ragus

Banned
Replaced by ???

Galaxy Note II. Maybe it's uglier, but:

A) I can install a good mobile browser on it
B) I don't have to worry about ringtone's volume when I turn the volume down on music player
C) I can actually send full size photos in my emails
C) It actually vibrates all the time during incoming calls
D) Games
E) I feel in love with S-pen. Shit can be very useful

Walshicus

Galaxy Note II. Maybe it's uglier, but:

A) I can install a good mobile browser on it
B) I don't have to worry about ringtone's volume when I turn the volume down on music player
C) I can actually send full size photos in my emails
C) It actually vibrates all the time during incoming calls
D) Games
E) I feel in love with S-pen. Shit can be very useful

I completely don't understand point A considering you've left IE 10 for... whatever they have on Android.

I completely don't understand point A considering you've left IE 10 for... whatever they have on Android.

For me it's all about the UI. Dolphin's UI is not amazing, but swiping from the edge of your screen to access your bookmarks became natural for me and should I ever switch back to WP, it's going to be hard.

For me it's all about the UI. Dolphin's UI is not amazing, but swiping from the edge of your screen to access your bookmarks became natural for me and should I ever switch back to WP, it's going to be hard.

You can swipe down from the top of the screen to access bookmarks in surfcube 3d. You should check it out

TTOOLL

Finally got the 7.8 update in my 710. I wasn't expecting much but it's really much better now.
Those small tiles are beautifully useful. Love it!

Holy shit. The galaxy s4 looks like a cluster fuck. Makes you appreciate the minimalist UI....
The camera app had way to much shit going on before you can actually take a pic...im over these phones having a quad core or more, goes to shot how much power you need to smooth out the OS...

zedge

Holy shit. The galaxy s4 looks like a cluster fuck. Makes you appreciate the minimalist UI....
The camera app had way to much shit going on before you can actually take a pic...im over these phones having a quad core or more, goes to shot how much power you need to smooth out the OS...

The camera looks awesome on the S4. The camera software on WP8 is complete shit. Looks like they tacked it on at the last min.

maeh2k

The camera looks awesome on the S4. The camera software on WP8 is complete shit. Looks like they tacked it on at the last min.

The camera software on WP8 is awesome. The standard camera mode may not be as full-featured as others, but the app integration through lenses alone elevates WP's camera mode over the competition. It's like every photo app can naturally integrate into the OS.

Well at least they got someone to do the feature that really knows what he's talking about when it comes to cameras.

Would love if he took a picture of a professional camera the could be your reference point.
And a more controlled environment but probably to much effort to take.

zedge

The camera software on WP8 is awesome. The standard camera mode may not be as full-featured as others, but the app integration through lenses alone elevates WP's camera mode over the competition. It's like every photo app can naturally integrate into the OS.
The lenses are a great feature, but the stock software is ugly and severely lacking.

Frost_Ace

Updated my lumia 800 to the "new" 7.8 and Cinemagraph doesn't open anymore. Thanks Microsoft for always screwing up.

And the contacts issue with outlook.com hasn't been fixed yet...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Updated my lumia 800 to the "new" 7.8 and Cinemagraph doesn't open anymore. Thanks Microsoft for always screwing up.

And the contacts issue with outlook.com hasn't been fixed yet...

Try uninstalling Cinemagraph and reinstalling? Maybe that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom