• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troll

Banned
You and your stupid hat deserve to cry.

(Yes, I'm bitter enough to cross the thread streams)

It's alright, between that and Welker I would be too. I would be too.

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

WesWelker46.jpg

That seems to be your problem right there. WMP seems to broke with SD sync. I am not sure I understand what you are doing though, why do you sync to internal memory then to the SD card? Why not have all music on SD? I think that could be the issue, the sync software just doesn't play nice with sync to same device to two locations.

i was one of the person suggest WMP, because that is the only sync software I found to not fuck up my music and keep my stuff in tact. Another potential problem is using multiple software to sync, ie Windows Phone 8 Metro, desktop and WMP I found that completely mess up the phone contents. I strictly just use WMP to manage my phone via drag and drop as I find both Windows Phone Metro and Windows 8 desktop app to be just pile of shit. Seriously Microsoft, I can not phantom how you even get into this mess.

Also as a side note, the grass is not that much greener on the Android side. Google music mess up my collection also and not to mention it upload all my album cover and blow it up to ugly mess low res pixelated mess. I just don't care enough at this point to bother with it and if it play musics I am game. Same with Windows Phone (though lately I just stick with streaming from Nokia music).

I hope you fix your issue ... I get frustrate just reading about it.
It's not that I was uploading to both for general use. It was just to test my theory that WMP wasn't playing nice with the micro SD. Which seems to hold true.

WMP has the options of Kyle - Phone and Kyle - SD card. I deleted all the music from the SD card and synced to the phone. Sure enough, as I expected, the content remained after restarts. So I then I deleted everything, synced to the SD card, restarted. The content was now gone. That's when I was sure that it must be a software issue as it persisted across 3 SD cards, all of which function correctly.

It was then that I put some music on to Kyle - Phone and some on to Kyle - SD card to check. Synced them up, restarted, and when I came back the SD music was gone whilst the phone music remained.

So as I said above. I've now found that just dragging and dropping the content on to the SD card seems to work fine and the meta data is correct. I've made multiple restarts with no lose of data. The issue of some songs hanging around after deletion is only a minor issue. And one that can be avoided entirely if you remember to delete them directly from the phone. I can live with that.

Edit: that said, we shouldn't just have to settle for a crappy way of doing things. Microsoft should be working hard on having one, or at most two (in the case of WP Metro and Desktop) apps that work. And if there are going to be two for different environments. Then they need to ensure that both can coexist.

kharma45

My Lumia 620 has duplicated almost all of my photos around 6 times I've noticed, bastard of a phone.

this happened anyone else on WP8?

My Lumia 620 has duplicated almost all of my photos around 6 times I've noticed, bastard of a phone.

I've had music duplicate during dodgy deletion. Seem to have it under control now.

Edit: and it was like 4 or 5 copies of whichever tracks. Seems to be a trend. I had it with photo's once, only made one copy of each.

It's not that I was uploading to both for general use. It was just to test my theory that WMP wasn't playing nice with the micro SD. Which seems to hold true.

So as I said above. I've now found that just dragging and dropping the content on to the SD card seems to work fine and the meta data is correct. I've made multiple restarts with no lose of data. The issue of some songs hanging around after deletion is only a minor issue. And one that can be avoided entirely if you remember to delete them directly from the phone. I can live with that.

Edit: that said, we shouldn't just have to settle for a crappy way of doing things. Microsoft should be working hard on having one, or at most two (in the case of WP Metro and Desktop) apps that work. And if there are going to be two for different environments. Then they need to ensure that both can coexist.

That's all I am doing now with my Windows Phone, simply just drag and drop and that include pictures and other media. I got rid of all the shitty sync software off my phone. And while playlist is a bit clunky on WMP, it was the only one that work correctly.

I am glad it is somewhat sorted out for you. I use to be super OCD about my music collection but the lack of time and old age have make me less incline to bother. I remember use to spend hours being frustrated with iTunes try to get my collection just right.

That's all I am doing now with my Windows Phone, simply just drag and drop and that include pictures and other media. I got rid of all the shitty sync software off my phone. And while playlist is a bit clunky on WMP, it was the only one that work correctly.

I am glad it is somewhat sorted out for you. I use to be super OCD about my music collection but the lack of time and old age have make me less incline to bother. I remember use to spend hours being frustrated with iTunes try to get my collection just right.
Well so far everything is working fine. This is the longest I've had it work on the SD card and I've purposefully reset it a bunch of times and it's still good. So fingers crossed.

The only side effect I've noticed is I now have an empty photo album called Music. But again, I can deal with that.

Media library OCD is a terrible thing. I get properly miffed if software changes my meta data. It's not healthy.
KuGsj.gif

May be same problem with sync to SD card not playing nice with WP8 piece of shit sync software. I never have that problem with my 920. My daughter use the 620 but their generation doesn't sync anything like we do. They just stream stuff and delete and upload whatever they want to share when it comes to photo. My son never sync his Lumia 900 either until I did it for him so he can get 7.8. I don't think he even have Zune on his computer. They just stream everything either via YouTubes or music streaming service.

kharma45

May be same problem with sync to SD card not playing nice with WP8 piece of shit sync software. I never have that problem with my 920. My daughter use the 620 but their generation doesn't sync anything like we do. They just stream stuff and delete and upload whatever they want to share when it comes to photo. My son never sync his Lumia 900 either until I did it for him so he can get 7.8. I don't think he even have Zune on his computer. They just stream everything either via YouTubes or music streaming service.

I've not used the sync software so it can't be that, and I've never had this issue with the 920 when I had it.

Might take the phone back to O2 tomorrow for a refund, between this, the broken multitouch, the constant crashing and having to pull the battery I'm getting a bit pissed off with this phone :(

I've not used the sync software so it can't be that, and I've never had this issue with the 920 when I had it.

Might take the phone back to O2 tomorrow for a refund, between this, the broken multitouch, the constant crashing and having to pull the battery I'm getting a bit pissed off with this phone :(
I'd almost be tempted to do the same. The music was my main problem to fair. Everything else has generally been fine and the multitouch issue isn't something I can honestly say has effected me, even though it is borked. I put most of the main problems down to WP8 being new. But it's incredibly frustrating at times and there honestly is no excuse.

I loved this phone for the first two weeks too. Although I should point out. My mum has the same phone as my previous one. And using hers the other day was a terrible experience. No idea how I put up with it. The 620 is crazy good by comparison.

I emailed the guy behind Fuse to ask if he's looking into supporting any other alternatives. You guys should do the same for your respective app developers. This fucking sucks from every angle

BTW, buried in that release was news of them shitting down caldev (or cardev?) support. Isn't that the same open standard they praised when they shut down exchange support? WTF are they doing over at Google?!?

kharma45

I'd almost be tempted to do the same. The music was my main problem to fair. Everything else has generally been fine and the multitouch issue isn't something I can honestly say has effected me, even though it is borked. I put most of the main problems down to WP8 being new. But it's incredibly frustrating at times and there honestly is no excuse.

I loved this phone for the first two weeks too. Although I should point out. My mum has the same phone as my previous one. And using hers the other day was a terrible experience. No idea how I put up with it. The 620 is crazy good by comparison.

The multitouch I find a problem when I'm scrolling through photos, it won't scroll and snap through one by one like it should, if I swipe as you would on any phone (and any other Windows Phone I've used) to just move one picture at a time it flies through a few of them, makes even a simple task like that irritating.

It's a pity as the 920 I had was solid as a rock and my gf's 620 seems good too but mine just feels like a dud phone destined to continually piss me off :\ I can get an 820 for £210 which tempts me, or there is the 16GB Nexus 4. All depends though on if O2 will give me a refund or not.

I emailed the guy behind Fuse to ask if he's looking into supporting any other alternatives. You guys should do the same for your respective app developers. This fucking sucks from every angle

BTW, buried in that release was news of them shitting down caldev (or cardev?) support. Isn't that the same open standard they praised when they shut down exchange support? WTF are they doing over at Google?!?

The problem isn't that there aren't alternatives, but that Google Reader was basically the standard and every 3rd party app used the service. Even if there are decent alternatives to Google Reader, if 3rd parties are all going to use different services, I might as well use bookmarks to visit the pages, instead of subscribing to their rss feed.

The multitouch I find a problem when I'm scrolling through photos, it won't scroll and snap through one by one like it should, if I swipe as you would on any phone (and any other Windows Phone I've used) to just move one picture at a time it flies through a few of them, makes even a simple task like that irritating.

It's a pity as the 920 I had was solid as a rock and my gf's 620 seems good too but mine just feels like a dud phone destined to continually piss me off :\
We should just rush O2 and give them whatfor
KuGsj.gif

Well so far everything is working fine. This is the longest I've had it work on the SD card and I've purposefully reset it a bunch of times and it's still good. So fingers crossed.

The only side effect I've noticed is I now have an empty photo album called Music. But again, I can deal with that.

Media library OCD is a terrible thing. I get properly miffed if software changes my meta data. It's not healthy.
KuGsj.gif

If you go to photo hub, under albums, you press and hold down the album and there should be option for you to delete it I think.

Troll

Banned
Does the WP marketplace have any first party RSS feed apps from any of Google's competition? 98% sure the answer is no but thought I would ask anyway.

Does the WP marketplace have any first party RSS feed apps from any of Google's competition? 98% sure the answer is no but thought I would ask anyway.

Weave seems to be a pretty good app, has a free add-supported version, and does not use Google Reader. Only tried it for two minutes or so though. And I'll see what Nextgen Reader is going to do, since I don't think it will just stop.

The problem is that it will not sync with anything.

Commodore

Not sure, but will Weave be affected from Google dumbfoundedly dropping Reader support? Don't remember if Weave used Reader. Anyone know?

e: Galactic Reign is fantastic.

MattDoza

Not sure, but will Weave be affected from Google dumbfoundedly dropping Reader support? Don't remember if Weave used Reader. Anyone know?

e: Galactic Reign is fantastic.

It uses Reader, if you import your feeds. I've not even messed with anything else that is compatible with the app.

Damn, even NeOak is all pissy. What's the world coming to!?
Your avatar has strange affect on people, I think.

I am glad I am not knee deep in Google eco system. What next, cancel gmail?

I use Weave on my Lumia but I don't use Google Reader so I am not sure what impact it would have.

maeh2k

BTW, what about that CalDAV thing?

lol. Now Google are just trolling. Microsoft is almost done with getting CalDAV on Windows Phone and they kill it.

Looks like they aren't that into open standards after all. Now MS has to use Google's calendar API...

Your avatar has strange affect on people, I think.

I am glad I am not knee deep in Google eco system. What next, cancel gmail?

I use Weave on my Lumia but I don't use Google Reader so I am not sure what impact it would have.

Weave does not get your Google Reader subscriptions. The only reason I used that is so it was synced between my PC and Phone.

I hope this will still be possible with the Nextgen Reader update, but I am going to assume so.

I've noticed that while I type on my phone, I seem to have a strange thing going on. I was trying to type "Arcanine" and somehow, despite me hitting I on the keyboard visually, it thinks I've hit U. Keyboard key hit targets... Were they dynamic all along?

I've noticed that while I type on my phone, I seem to have a strange thing going on. I was trying to type "Arcanine" and somehow, despite me hitting I on the keyboard visually, it thinks I've hit U. Keyboard key hit targets... Were they dynamic all along?

Is it autocorrecting afterward?

By combining statistical models of language patterns and touch points, the keyboard dynamically changes the virtual size of the likely next letter, so that it has a larger target area—the area where tapping the keypad results in a particular letter, symbol, or number.

WP keyboard article

erm O2 carry the 920, just in black :(

Get black one and just pick up those official case from Nokia. They looks great, I put a yellow one over my red recently and they looks just as nice. I know it's not like actually having the real deal but it's nice enough case that fit seamlessly. I am planning to get gray one also.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ABYVTJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I usually don't like to have cover but I can't find any good belt clip holster for the 920, the one I have is open on top and I keep banging it into the table and machine.

Is it autocorrecting afterward?

WP keyboard article

I think you indeed have the thing that is discussed in that article posted. It increases the press areas of keys it thinks you are going to press.

It is also easy to see in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfkkShYcbUM

I do not know how they are going to change it (but apparently they have mentioned some time ago that they were working on transferring), but it it possible that most apps are still going to a same service that will become more popular, instead or each one creating one of their own.

In a few months I expect a handful of feasible possibilities for RSS app creators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom