• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

pager99

Hi guys new xbox owner here anyway I'm looking to trade my digital fifa 16 xbox one code for 3 months xbox live code, I'll give code first, anyone interested PM me

Montresor

Finished Gone Home and Brothers. I give Brothers a 5/5 (I liked it just as much as the 360 version) and I give Gone Home a 4.5/5.

Initially, once I finished Gone Home all I could say was "That's it?!?!?!" But I thought about the game more and more and realized that no matter what expectations I had, I still enjoyed the atmosphere and exploration in Kaitlin Greenbriar's house (main character), but more importantly what I ended up loving is just how much the game subverted every single one of those expectations. The end wasn't what I was expecting, but that will end up being what I love about the game.

Major spoilers:
Seriously don't read this if you haven't played the game. I kept expecting the game to be about a murder mystery, or maybe even a ghost story. Why wasn't anyone home to greet Kaitlin? I was scared hanging around in the basement, exploring the house's various secret passageways, etc... I was especially creeped out by the glowing-red entrance to the attic, thinking I'd find something terrible up there. But nope, there's not a single sinister thing about the house's lonely atmosphere. Why aren't the parents there? Simple - Kaitlin gave short notice on her return from Amsterdam, and it just so happens that the parents are out on a second honeymoon. The parents had no idea Kaitlin was coming home and they aren't going to cut their honeymoon short. Why isn't Kaitlin's little sister home? Because Kaitlin's little sister (who is the incredible, runaway star of this wonderful game) is in love and has left the nest to follow her heart. No murder mystery. No ghosts. Just a wonderful love story and one minor parent-related subplot. And main character Kaitlin has the house all to herself, for relatively mundane reasons which have nothing to do with crime, or villains, or ghosts, or whatever else, etc...

speedomodel

Finished Gone Home and Brothers. I give Brothers a 5/5 (I liked it just as much as the 360 version) and I give Gone Home a 4.5/5.

Initially, once I finished Gone Home all I could say was "That's it?!?!?!" But I thought about the game more and more and realized that no matter what expectations I had, I still enjoyed the atmosphere and exploration in Kaitlin Greenbriar's house (main character), but more importantly what I ended up loving is just how much the game subverted every single one of those expectations. The end wasn't what I was expecting, but that will end up being what I love about the game.

Major spoilers:
Seriously don't read this if you haven't played the game. I kept expecting the game to be about a murder mystery, or maybe even a ghost story. Why wasn't anyone home to greet Kaitlin? I was scared hanging around in the basement, exploring the house's various secret passageways, etc... I was especially creeped out by the glowing-red entrance to the attic, thinking I'd find something terrible up there. But nope, there's not a single sinister thing about the house's lonely atmosphere. Why aren't the parents there? Simple - Kaitlin gave short notice on her return from Amsterdam, and it just so happens that the parents are out on a second honeymoon. The parents had no idea Kaitlin was coming home and they aren't going to cut their honeymoon short. Why isn't Kaitlin's little sister home? Because Kaitlin's little sister (who is the incredible, runaway star of this wonderful game) is in love and has left the nest to follow her heart. No murder mystery. No ghosts. Just a wonderful love story and one minor parent-related subplot. And main character Kaitlin has the house all to herself, for relatively mundane reasons which have nothing to do with crime, or villains, or ghosts, or whatever else, etc...
Gone Home Spoilers here as well.
I went into Gone Home knowing "nothing scary happens" yet still felt unnerved the entire time. That feeling of when you go to get a glass of water at 2am and just feel creeped out. They did it wonderfully. And even so I STILL thought, the attic hid something. IT HAD TO! I knew the story had something to do with LGBT but had no real idea how. As I began...uncovering the story, and approached the attic where she says "I think I'll go to attic..." I was like "Sam's dead up there isn't she....she killed herself" What I truly found made me actually smile. Great game.

Chitown B

Gone Home Spoilers here as well.
I went into Gone Home knowing "nothing scary happens" yet still felt unnerved the entire time. That feeling of when you go to get a glass of water at 2am and just feel creeped out. They did it wonderfully. And even so I STILL thought, the attic hid something. IT HAD TO! I knew the story had something to do with LGBT but had no real idea how. As I began...uncovering the story, and approached the attic where she says "I think I'll go to attic..." I was like "Sam's dead up there isn't she....she killed herself" What I truly found made me actually smile. Great game.

I find it odd you knew it had to do with LGBT. I had no idea about any of the plot and I hadn't avoided it really.

jond76

Banned

Major spoilers:

I was sure I'd find Sam dead in the attic. Glad I was wrong. If you dig a bit deeper, you'll discover that the parents are actually at a couples counseling retreat. There's also a more vague subplot about the dad and his childhood. There's quite a lot to discover

speedomodel

I find it odd you knew it had to do with LGBT. I had no idea about any of the plot and I hadn't avoided it really.

I had simply read comments such as "Nice to see a LGBT character so predominantly in a game." and so on. I actually thought the main character, who you play as in the game, would be the one. Again, didn't know much other than just it had LGBT character in the game.

Montresor

100% on Cubot...I'll admit I had to use some guides on some levels. Pretty nice game for $2 though.

When you say you had to use some guides you mean you went online for a solution?

Because you can buy in-game solutions with Cubots (not with real money - just these Cubots that you collect whenever you solve puzzles).

Major spoilers:

There's also this very interesting subplot about the family's history and them going to a second honeymoon was about wanting to fix their marriage because the wife had a fantasy about this guy from work. She decides to work on her own marriage instead.

When you say you had to use some guides you mean you went online for a solution?

Because you can buy in-game solutions with Cubots (not with real money - just these Cubots that you collect whenever you solve puzzles).
Ya I never really bothered with that. I tried my best to do everything legit but I was stumped a decent amount in the later episodes. I looked at a written guide on a few levels where people told you what directions to use to solve it.

Very enjoyable though

Vert boil

Released today,

A Boy and His Blob - 10$ (8.50$ with gold), 2.19GB.

Gemini: Heroes Reborn - 15$, 16.55GB.

Resident Evil Zero HD - 20$, 10.68GB.
--Costume dlc

DLC,

Life Is Strange
--Directors' commentary - free

Oynox

Is APB still a thing? It was announced in 2014 I think and it's been quite silent the last year... now that there is Early Access it might be okay to release it in an "unstable" state, I would say lol

Is APB still a thing? It was announced in 2014 I think and it's been quite silent the last year... now that there is Early Access it might be okay to release it in an "unstable" state, I would say lol
Ya, MS needs to approve you for early access though, I assume they need some type of assurance that you will actually release the game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It was rated by the pegi so i don't know why they not release the game.

jond76

Banned
Played a bit of Albedo and it's pretty neat. So far it's just a series of "escape the room" type puzzles, but with full 3d movement and environments.

danowat

Banned
Anyone know of a specifically XBOX store review site?

There seems to be a glut of releases and a lack of reviews, it's hard to keep up with whats good and whats trash.

Interesting to see people talking about a wave of releases as I just got an email that Artifex Mundis (Nightmares From the Deep) next release is out this Friday, Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink. I really like their point and click games, they have nice production values and the puzzles are pretty good in general. Never played this one though.

I lied: My gameplay tracker says it took me about 3.5-4 hours to beat Heroes.

Thanks for the note

I get excited when I hear about new games, but this one doesn't look so hot.
It used to be on Xbox 360 under the indie game brand

Montresor

Banzo-Kazooie - I love puzzle games too and point-and-click games, but Nightmares From The Deep seemed like it had a poor user interface. I tried the demo and didn't like the way you move around in the game world.

Maybe I should give it another try....

Anyone know of a specifically XBOX store review site?

There seems to be a glut of releases and a lack of reviews, it's hard to keep up with whats good and whats trash.

I'd be interested too. I know of a few sites but their reviews are patchy, and often really poorly written.

I used to write a lot of reviews on my site xboxgamer.me, but lately I have been super swamped, as has been my staff. We do have a few open projects though so I'd recommend checking it out at some point.

For instance right now we have Artifex Mundis new game, Sparkle 2, and Fortified under review.

But yes, Eastx does great reviews over at wpcentral for a lot of smaller games. I also highly recommend xblafans.com (http://www.xblafans.com/)...they are solely dedicated to reviewing and streaming ID@Xbox/downloadable only titles so they are a good place to check out.

danowat

Banned
eastx writes pretty good reviews for wpcentral.com

I used to write a lot of reviews on my site xboxgamer.me, but lately I have been super swamped, as has been my staff. We do have a few open projects though so I'd recommend checking it out at some point.

For instance right now we have Artifex Mundis new game, Sparkle 2, and Fortified under review.

But yes, Eastx does great reviews over at wpcentral for a lot of smaller games. I also highly recommend xblafans.com (http://www.xblafans.com/)...they are solely dedicated to reviewing and streaming ID@Xbox/downloadable only titles so they are a good place to check out.

Cheers, I'll take a look, hard to keep track of all these new releases and just how good they are!

Banzo-Kazooie - I love puzzle games too and point-and-click games, but Nightmares From The Deep seemed like it had a poor user interface. I tried the demo and didn't like the way you move around in the game world.

Maybe I should give it another try....
Definitely do! I really enjoyed my time with it, and it took a decent amount of time too...maybe 6 hours to beat. Nt bad for $10. Clockwork is also $10 btw

Kaiju panic. How did I miss this? Looks interesting.

P.S. I'll repeat my forlorn cry for Forced co-op partners online. I like it local, but rarely get to play it like that. Anyone out there?

/echoing silence

Top Bottom