• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Montresor

Over 25k now! Jeez, bu bu bu no Xbox One player base

B-b-b-b-b-b-ut what about cross-play? B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but why not GWG?

Cross-play and Rocket League for GWG are both things that are objectively pro-consumer. I get those would be great things and Playstation fans have enjoyed cross-play and PS+ (free Rocket League) themselves.

But I sincerely hope that any and all claims that no cross-play and no GWG will kill Rocket League's community/playerbase fall flat on their face.

Multiplayer games have been coming out for almost a decade now on XBL - and during that time frame multiplayer games of all shapes and sizes have been doing just fine.

Just logged off of RL for the night. There was 31k online when I left...not bad for a game that's only been live for about 2 hours.

I got the "hard" achievements such as scoring 6 goals in one game, and the "pool shot" in my first match. Partied up with my buddy and got the win 10 straight achievement also.

Off to a good start :p

RdN

I never doubted the game would sell well.. So it's no surprise that it has lots of players right now.

The issue that I see is player retention. How will it be a month from now?

That worries me, and that's why I'm waiting to buy it.

Vert boil

Released today,

Rocket League - 20$, 2.55GB.
--Back to the Future Car Pack - 2$

New Pre-order,

Screencheat - 15$ (12$ with gold)

-----
Layers of Fear finally went up to full price.

B-b-b-b-b-b-ut what about cross-play? B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but why not GWG?

Cross-play and Rocket League for GWG are both things that are objectively pro-consumer. I get those would be great things and Playstation fans have enjoyed cross-play and PS+ (free Rocket League) themselves.

But I sincerely hope that any and all claims that no cross-play and no GWG will kill Rocket League's community/playerbase fall flat on their face.

Multiplayer games have been coming out for almost a decade now on XBL - and during that time frame multiplayer games of all shapes and sizes have been doing just fine.

You'd think that'd be obvious, but some people seem to think any slight difference, on the weaker platform, means that it'll be an absolute disaster. No imagination.

I never doubted the game would sell well.. So it's no surprise that it has lots of players right now.

In terms of retention, it is exactly the same as the game on other platforms, which continues to flourish. Why different here?

That sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy if I've ever heard one.

Anyone know how long Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops really is? I've looked through reviews of the PS versions, but no dice. Just that it's surprisingly long.

Special C

Well I finally got to expereince what all the fuss was about with Rocket League. Played about 20 matches of 2v2 with a friend last night. I haven't had that much fun playing video games for a long time.

eastx

Why? The game itself is the same.. why does it "need" to have more players to make the game better? Plenty seem to be playing right now with no issues..

Being able to play any multiplayer game with all of one's friends instead of just those who own a specific platform would pretty clearly be awesome. However, Microsoft isn't having it, and we can't do anything to change that.

Being able to play any multiplayer game with all of one's friends instead of just those who own a specific platform would pretty clearly be awesome. However, Microsoft isn't having it, and we can't do anything to change that.

Yeah, it would be cool, but I don't know why anyone expected it. If memory serves, MS has never allowed crossplay between Xbox products and competitor consoles (with the exception of PC).

U2NUMB

So how exactly would they have managed it with PS4 players already in the pool? You know damn well that Sony would not want cross play with X1 players so ultimately they would have had to split the Steam userbase to play with each console and that makes no sense.

MS would be smart to put it out on the Windows 10 store and give away free copies to those who own it on X1 or at least a reduced price. Then have those 2 user based play.

Chitown B

All of my friends play on Xbox. I don't play MP on PS4. So........ doesn't affect me.

Framerate is the worst I've seen on XB1, and I play lots of games. I was looking forward to it but had to stop playing. Hopefully it will be patched.

have you played NERO?

danowat

Banned
Solus Project (Early Access) should be out today, store is just saying coming soon at present.

https://store.xbox.com/en-GB/Xbox-O...-Preview/79d929df-f6b7-466a-8bd8-54418519382f

Given so much has been made already it is important to note that this is not a small prototype or demo, but a 7-9 hour long experience that we will be releasing in episode, and is already fully optimized, visually near final, and fully featured.

Release 1: The first three levels of the game. Worth about 1-2 hours worth of game, with lots of hidden secrets to figure out while waiting for the next release.
Release 2: +Levels 4, 5 and 6. Adding another 2 hours of gameplay. And any content from previous releases of course.
Release 3: +Levels 7 and 8, adding another 2 hours.
Release 4: +Level 9. Adding another 1 hour.
Release 5: Not 100% sure we'd do a fifth release, but if we'd do then that would be level 10. If not level 10 and 11 + the end game sequence will be held off until the full release.

Vert boil

Curious of the Knight Squad patch actually works...I stopped playing with about half the achievements left because of the damn worms haah

The challenges are a lot easier now. Originally there were four worms that you had to hit eight times each, now the new easy mode is two worms that you hit 5 times each.
You can unlock all the challenge achievements in easy mode. :3

speedomodel

The challenges are a lot easier now. Originally there were four worms that you had to hit eight times each, now the new easy mode is two worms that you hit 5 times each.

Welp, I know what I'm doing tonight. Thank you!

I just saw it at the game preview section and thought, yessss let's try this one out and then it said unavailable. :(

Ah well, Feb 26th it is then. I assume the trial will be there then too?

Special C

We'll I'm glad I beat them before they went EZ mode. I feel like I accomplished something lol. That worm one took me like 10 tries, it was hard.

Flux

Yeah about Knight Squad. Makes sense that they lowered the difficulty. I got all the achievements before the recent patch, deleted it and never want to play it again.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
There are a lot of these local battle games now. I like that that market is being catered to, I just hope it's not saturated...

That market doesn't exist. It's a niche which can sell maybe 2.500 units, you can't live from selling to so few people.Especially if there are games like Rocket League that offer local multiplayer and online multiplayer and singleplayer.

danowat

Banned
That market doesn't exist. It's a niche which can sell maybe 2.500 units, you can't live from selling to so few people.Especially if there are games like Rocket League that offer local multiplayer and online multiplayer and singleplayer.

So why do developers insist on keep making them?, I understand they must be cheaper to develop due to no AI or net code to worry about, but still.

I wonder if it's a response to a moan I've often seen about MP 'these days' - that it's all online.

Forced, which deserves more love, was explicitly a reaction to that, by offering tight co-op gameplay in local. It also has online, which unfortunately, these games do really need.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is by all accounts excellent, but would surely benefit enormously from online co-op.

When I'm watching a trailer for a game I've never heard of and it says something about local MP, it's got about 10 seconds to tell me it supports online play as well, or I close the tab and completely write the game off. I really hate seeing something that looks great, then realizing I can't play it because it's local only.

As for why they get made, it's because the people making them have opportunity to play local MP, and they're making a game they want to play with little regard to what kind of audience it will have. Look at #IDARB. Local MP only, and designed for Twitch play. If you don't have both local friends to play with, and a large enough following on Twitch, you can't get the most out of the game. I can't imagine the game had much longevity at all.

So I finished Marvel Puzzle Quest yesterday. Took me 18 hours, far less than the 80+ hours from Gems of War and quite more enjoyable too.

The game mechanics are good and there are a lot of strategy in making good teams with different powers.

Almost never had to repeat a battle but usually tugs with guns were more difficult than the supervillans. That is one of its bad points, but a small one.

I usually used a hero with a great power that takes more mana, like Iron Man (whick attacks later in the game caused 2500, 4500 and 9000 damage), a passive character for recharging like Now! Magneto (which can generate a lot of blue mana for Iron Man) and a character with a low/medium attack that does not require a lot of mana and from a different color, like Wolverine or Devil Dinosaur.

The game incentive you to try different characters to see what works for you. One negative point is that while there are a lot of characters to choose, most are repeats with little differentiation in the powers (3 Storms, 4 Widows, etc).

Overall quite a good experience.

Top Bottom