• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ImperialConquest said:
2012 Lakers

Fisher LOL
Kobe
Artest
Blake/Pau/Odom/Duncan
Dwight/Bynum/Shaq

DATFRONTCOURT
You really don't know how this free agency thing works, do ya?

Gigglepoo

Ninja Scooter said:
I have no doubt that Kevin Love would stay in Minny if they actually had a GM who knew what he was doing and put good talent around him.

Isn't Love from SoCal? Why would he want to live in Minnesota?

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm just ready to quit on the NBA when the Lakers get either Deron, CP3, or Dwight soon.

CP3 is damaged goods, and Deron is fat. Dwight will be on the market too soon. 3 years is the target. That's when Kobe, Pau and Blake will all come off the books, with Odom having come off the year before. We can set ourselves up to reload and sign another star or two.

Gigglepoo said:

He's from Oregon, I believe. And players for the most part will go where they can win. I don't think Love cares as much about attention whoring or hanging out with JayZ like Bron or Bosh. Duncan has stayed in San Antonio for the same reason.

reilo

Gigglepoo said:
He played there one season in college. His uncle is one of the members of the Beach Boys, but he grew up in Lake Oswego, OR -- a suburb of Portland. He's already played for the Lakers, too.

In other words, Love is coming to the Trail Blazers! Or something utterly stupid.

KingGondo

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
tumblr_la757uw6TM1qb9qwwo1_250.gif

Duh.

(And he's really more from Oregon, although he was born in SoCal.)

Darkman M said:
So Shaq's injury is an Achilles injury? talk about brutal.

if he wasn't injured he could have saved Charlie Sheen from getting fired from Two and a Half Men. It keeps him up at night thinking what could have been.

giri

KingGondo said:
tumblr_la757uw6TM1qb9qwwo1_250.gif

Duh.

(And he's really more from Oregon, although he was born in SoCal.)
Pretty sure thats racist.

Ninja Scooter said:
if he wasn't injured he could have saved Charlie Sheen from getting fired from Two and a Half Men. It keeps him up at night thinking what could have been.
He dreams about what could have been if he had've signed with a team in vegas so he could've shared some of them white bitches sheen was paying for.

Branduil

Ninja Scooter said:
what about Tyson and Kidd's inevitable $50 million extensions?
Kidd won't be extended and Tyson will be easily tradeable. Getting rid of Haywood will be the bigger problem. Hoping for an amnesty clause under the new CBA to cut a player from the cap.

Rodeo Clown said:
You'd trade a role player for an all-star. You don't say.

But would he trade both Ibaka and Harden.

Gigglepoo

How does everyone know that Kevin Love is from Oregon? You guys are creepy.

Anyway, I can't blame players from leaving crummy towns to live somewhere nice. I bolted Chicago to San Francisco the first chance I got. It's cold in the Midwest!

KingGondo

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:
You'd trade a role player for an all-star. You don't say.
Yeah, yeah. :p

As I said, in spite of my affection for Serge I realize his chance of reaching Love's ceiling is small. He'll be a better defender than Love though.

Branduil said:
But would he trade both Ibaka and Harden.
Not both.

giri

KingGondo said:
Really?

Pretty sure that's misogynist.
Yeah, it is really, i don't really give a shit though.

And yeah, it probably is. But it's also probably true :p I do love shaq, guy is awesome. He's only going to play what 20 regular season games? and then just join on to be the starting 5 for a chip team?

Legendary.

giri

Gigglepoo said:

Anyway, I can't blame players from leaving crummy towns to live somewhere nice. I bolted Chicago to San Francisco the first chance I got. It's cold in the Midwest!
I like cold cities. Christchurch (the place where the earth quake happened in NZ) is my favorite town in new zealand, partly cause it has 4 seasons a year!

reilo

Gigglepoo said:

It's different though. NBA players are in the town they play for what? Six months out of a year tops? And half of that time they're on the road traveling to different cities.

It's very rare that a player decides to permanently live in the city they play for.

Channing Frye is one of the rarer examples. He liked Portland so much that he chose to live here permanently. But eventhough he lives in Phoenix, he comes back into town during the off-season.

numble

reilo said:
It's different though. NBA players are in the town they play for what? Six months out of a year tops? And half of that time they're on the road traveling to different cities.

It's very rare that a player decides to permanently live in the city they play for.

Channing Frye is one of the rarer examples. He liked Portland so much that he chose to live here permanently. But eventhough he lives in Phoenix, he comes back into town during the off-season.
6 months of season for non-playoff teams, close to 8 months for playoff teams.
There's also like a month of pre-season and training camp.

benita

Banned
I think everyone needs to chill out on the whole crying thing. Yeah it's only the regular season but when you fall so far short of the expectations you've set yourself in any endeavour it's hard to keep your emotions in check.

Whether or not those expectations were appropriate or not is irrelevant. Also irrelevant is where the blame lies for the failure.

Nobody will have any idea what i'm talking about but I remember being at the 1989 Australian Rugby League grand final. Balmain Tigers - my team - had been beaten in the grand final the year before and after dominating what was and still is the greatest game of league ever played, lost in sudden death extra time.

To a man, the players dropped to the ground and bawled. I mean some of them howled so loud you could hear it in the grandstand. And the guys who played 80's rugby league were tough as fucking nails.

Everyone who was there or saw it on TV remembers them not for being pussies, but for how devastated they were by the result. I know it seems borderline idiotic to compare that to game 60-something of a regular season but the whole crying is for pussies thing is stupid.

That was the final. Derek Fisher cried when the Lakers were eliminated in 2003. People are giving the Heat shit because they are crying after a regular season loss. Makes it look like their priorities are fucked up.

exarkun

Heat players crying = championship confirmed. You can't teach that kind of passion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/25914/mark-cuban-hopes-to-lose-and-lose-badly-someday

Cuban talks about not wanting to be on the "mediocrity treadmill" which is something a few of NBA-gaf tosses around as an idea that should be followed. If you are gonna lose, lose big and get that big player. I would say, but what about the Rockets? Build a team that is serviceable and can maybe make the 7th to 8th seed while all the while amassing 1st round pics for talent that you spent time developing that no one else would develop? Takes more work, but it wouldn't lead you to the revenue drop of tanking.

I find the "three all star" idea more interesting though. I do agree with the one top 50 all time guy, and two current all stars ='s success. The fact that it worked 24 out of 25 times is kind of crazy. Though, on the celtics, who is the top 50 guy all time? Pierce? Shaq?

benita

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
That was the final. Derek Fisher cried when the Lakers were eliminated in 2003. People are giving the Heat shit because they are crying after a regular season loss. Makes it look like their priorities are fucked up.

Eh, I guess you're right.

Back to :lol: Heat

Jeff-DSA

Ninja Scooter said:

But it was a bad call! The ref blew it and Deng didn't deserve those FTs!

thekad

Banned
exarkun said:
I find the "three all star" idea more interesting though. I do agree with the one top 50 all time guy, and two current all stars ='s success. The fact that it worked 24 out of 25 times is kind of crazy. Though, on the celtics, who is the top 50 guy all time? Pierce? Shaq?

Uh, KG? Though he's not that same player anymore. He's near Top 10.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn the crying from the Heat is created it's own sports news monster

Heard on ESPN:

"Cry Gate"

"The Crying Game (referencing the movie? LOL)"

I'll create my own Cry-pocalypse/trastrophe

Love the NYK players LOL @ MIA players

+ Is the NYC <===> MIA rivalry from the early '90's reheating? would love some of the hard/hood rat plays, get dirty

benita said:
I think everyone needs to chill out on the whole crying thing. Yeah it's only the regular season but when you fall so far short of the expectations you've set yourself in any endeavour it's hard to keep your emotions in check.

Whether or not those expectations were appropriate or not is irrelevant. Also irrelevant is where the blame lies for the failure.

Nobody will have any idea what i'm talking about but I remember being at the 1989 Australian Rugby League grand final. Balmain Tigers - my team - had been beaten in the grand final the year before and after dominating what was and still is the greatest game of league ever played, lost in sudden death extra time.

To a man, the players dropped to the ground and bawled. I mean some of them howled so loud you could hear it in the grandstand. And the guys who played 80's rugby league were tough as fucking nails.

Everyone who was there or saw it on TV remembers them not for being pussies, but for how devastated they were by the result. I know it seems borderline idiotic to compare that to game 60-something of a regular season but the whole crying is for pussies thing is stupid.

Any season ending game its not only acceptable but its endearing to the fans that they care enough.

Regular season though its kind of unacceptable and shows there might be some real issues going on if they cant see the big picture.

In high school my football team made a big comeback from being down all game. We lost in the last seconds on a dropped pass. We all were on the field in tears. But we were 15-17 years old. Only time its acceptable IMO.

thekad

Banned
Barrage said:
:lol Oh my god he's not even CLOSE to Top-

Oh. TheKad. Carry on.

Seeing as how you are a Raptors fan, I shouldn't expect you to know basketball, but:

14x All-Star
9x All-NBA
10x All-Defensive
2004 MVP (and was robbed of 2008 MVP)
2008 Defensive Player of the Year
1 Alpha Ring
One of the greatest defenders of all-time

What are you talking about?

reilo

thekad said:
Seeing as how you are a Raptors fan, I shouldn't expect you to know basketball, but:

14x All-Star
9x All-NBA
10x All-Defensive
2004 MVP (and was robbed of 2008 MVP)
2008 Defensive Player of the Year
1 Alpha Ring
One of the greatest defenders of all-time

What are you talking about?
He's not even the best player at his position the best decade.

KG is easily a top 50 all-time guy.

And while's he below Duncan, it's not by much. Just because McHale fucked his prime up doesn't mean he isn't an all-timer.

I definitely think he has a case for top 20.

reilo

giri said:
I can see an argument being mounted for him being top 50 of all time though. But not top 10.
That's a reasonable stance to take.

Omiee

I realy dont get this crying thing, why would you cry about regular season loses.
I dont see the lakers crying or what ever when they lost to the cavs. It feels to me like they have no confidence in their own team and team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom