• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
MorisUkunRasik said:
Sorry, I should clarify. He's still on the radio here for ESPN, but he was a local sports talkhost for the morning segment on a local ESPN affiliate in Portland for years before being promoted to a national level.

Gigglepoo

MorisUkunRasik said:
It sucks that The Heat are probably going to win tonight.

Prove me wrong portland, prove me wrong.

Is it just me, or do the Blazers play more back-to-backs than any other team? Who thought it would be a good idea to make them play @Orlando and @Miami on consecutive nights? That's brutal.

Jeff-DSA

dIEHARD said:
Deron's stats are arguably the same or even slightly better than Rose's stats this season
unless wins are a stat

Deron was on track for MVP numbers if the injury didn't derail his season. Obviously the Jazz record wouldn't have had him firmly in the discussion, but we definitely would have had an extra 5-10 wins at least had he not been hurt in that San Antonio game.

Is it just me, or do the Blazers play more back-to-backs than any other team? Who thought it would be a good idea to make them play @Orlando and @Miami on consecutive nights? That's brutal.

We had to play them back to back too. Won both games.

*Sigh*

Better times...

commish said:
I think the Knicks can beat the Bulls. The Bulls are better, but I think Melo/Amare/Billups could do it. In two years, though, I could see the Bulls running over the eastern conference.

The Knicks that beat the Bulls this season were able to do so because of ungodly 3-point shooting and the absence of a key interior player (either Noah or Boozer). They also did it with a different team than the one they have now.

In a series in which all of the Bulls were completely healthy, I don't see the Knicks as currently constructed beating them in a 7-game series.

The Knicks that beat the Heat did so each time with defense, despite superlative games from one or two of their big 3. In addition, they won without epic 3-point shooting - just *timely* 3-point shooting. On top of that, they did it with both versions of the Knicks this season, and both home and away.

However, I don't really see us beating them in a 7-game series either...though we could push them to 6 or 7 games.

reilo

Gigglepoo said:
Most in the league, in fact. Portland will play 24 back-to-backs this season. The Lakers? 14. In fact, Portland has already played more back-to-backs before the ASG than the Lakers will all year.

Oh, and after the ORL/MIA back-to-back, Portland plays ATL/CHA back-to-back.

EDIT: The worst is when Portland has a back-to-back where the second game is in DENVER. They always schedule that. Had it twice this year and it pisses me off. It's a by-product of the closest NBA team to Portland being Sacramento, and if they leave to Anaheim? LOL.

I really disliked LeBatard's article today which the guys on ESPN, who predicted the Heat would 76 games, love. Talent is such a terrible word because it has no definition in today's NBA. Carlos Boozer has almost no natural talent for NBA standards and might be one of the ten least naturally talented players in the league. No hops, no quickness, unnatural strength that destroyed his durability, undersized for his position yet most writers like LeBatard would say he's talented. Darko Milicic is one of the five most naturally talented players in the NBA and he is a joke around the league. And how is defense an intangible? Like, I, well, I, whatever, writing from Heat defenders fucking sucks.

Jeff-DSA

reilo said:
Most in the league, in fact. Portland will play 24 back-to-backs this season. The Lakers? 14. In fact, Portland has already played more back-to-backs before the ASG than the Lakers will all year.

Oh, and after the ORL/MIA back-to-back, Portland plays ATL/CHA back-to-back.

Yeah, that's the same trip we had. I'm still not sure how we swept that road trip. 4 games in 5 nights. Oh wait, Deron was healthy and our only player out was Okur. Ah yeah, that's how we did that.

I still maintain that if the Jazz could have stayed healthy and if Okur had come back and not been injured again that Sloan and Williams would still be here and we'd be leading our division.

Also, Jazz and Blazers always get the short end of the stick with the 4 games in 5 nights and back to back scenarios. I think this year we came out a little better than normal, however. I'm still sure it's not as light as what the Lakers always get.

Jeff-DSA said:
Yeah, that's the same trip we had. I'm still not sure how we swept that road trip. 4 games in 5 nights. Oh wait, Deron was healthy and our only player out was Okur. Ah yeah, that's how we did that.

I still maintain that if the Jazz could have stayed healthy and if Okur had come back and not been injured again that Sloan and Williams would still be here and we'd be leading our division.

Also, Jazz and Blazers always get the short end of the stick with the 4 games in 5 nights and back to back scenarios. I think this year we came out a little better than normal, however. I'm still sure it's not as light as what the Lakers always get.

So if the Jazz had a legendary, literally unprecedented lack of injuries considering the injury status of the players and their minutes, they'd be doing good? Roy and Oden could have won the championship for Portland as well.

Jeff-DSA

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
So if the Jazz had a legendary, literally unprecedented lack of injuries considering the injury status of the players and their minutes, they'd be doing good? Roy and Oden could have won the championship for Portland as well.

I'm not saying no injuries, I'm saying if Deron had stayed healthy and Okur had stayed healthy. Maybe they miss a game or two along the way, and so do other players, but we've been shorthanded all season and our dive really didn't start until Deron got hurt seriously.

SUPREME1

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:

Reilo has a legit gripe, but not the Jazz. Insisting on ZERO Sunday home games will affect your overall schedule.

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm not saying no injuries, I'm saying if Deron had stayed healthy and Okur had stayed healthy. Maybe they miss a game or two along the way, and so do other players, but we've been shorthanded all season and our dive really didn't start until Deron got hurt seriously.

Okur was recovering from an Achilles injury, he wasn't coming back this season. Deron-Bell-AK-Millsap-Al were playing 40 minutes a night and 60% of that lineup is very injury-prone (The fact that Al hasn't missed a single game this season is a near miracle). Deron had to play 40 minutes a night despite having a good backup because he had to play heavy minutes at the 2. If the Jazz used their young players more, maybe they would have avoided injuries, but SLOAN CULTURE.

Al Jefferson had 36 and 12 last night and his team lost by 20. Partying like it's 2008.

The loss wasn't on him, it was on Bell and Harris. He's really been unbelievable since he got his hops back.

Jeff-DSA

ImperialConquest said:
Reilo has a legit gripe, but not the Jazz. Insisting on ZERO Sunday home games will affect your overall schedule.

We've played them in the past. I'm not certain that the Jazz insist on it as much as the NBA doesn't schedule the Jazz for national TV all that much. We play fewer road Sunday games as well, and that has nothing to do with reluctance to play home Sunday games.

SUPREME1

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
We've played them in the past. I'm not certain that the Jazz insist on it as much as the NBA doesn't schedule the Jazz for national TV all that much. We play fewer road Sunday games as well, and that has nothing to do with reluctance to play home Sunday games.

Completey off topic:

Any new additions to your badass game room?

Jeff-DSA

I can't remember the last time I posted pics/info, but I did recently pick up two candy cabs that I'm going to rotate fighters and shooters in and out of. I still need to move the Punch-Out!! downstairs, and I'm picking up another pinball machine (White Water) soon.

diehard refuses to come give the machines a workout.

It's time to start the Jonas Valanciunas hype train:

l4854042.jpg

20-14 (Per 40 minutes) on 70% shooting and 90% from the line in Euroleague and is now putting up even bigger numbers back in Lithuania. 7'7 wingspan. Motor that never stops. Jonas-Derrick-Hayward-Not Jimmer-Evans-Other pieces future!

reilo

Truphenom said:
Wow at the fire being spit. Is it true the chalmers was one of the guys crying?
Why was he crying? He was the only one capable of making a bucket in the clutch.

Jeff-DSA

Truphenom said:
Wow at the fire being spit. Is it true the chalmers was one of the guys crying?

They ALL cried. Some just a little more than others. Bosh still can't talk about that game without choking up and looking to the left.

reilo

Even the Sacramento Kings sent Todd Randolph to see what the latest is in the advanced statistics world, according to the list of attendees given out.

Here’s the problem though: there apparently is no Todd Randolph from the Sacramento Kings.

Multiple sources confirmed to me that there is no Todd Randolph in the Kings organization unless he’s such a secret scout of Geoff Petrie’s that they’ve just never heard of him. The Kings are apparently still reluctant to embrace thinking smarter about the NBA and game of basketball. Last year, Jason Levien (then assistant general manager) had to pay HIS OWN WAY to attend and participate in the conference. This seems stunning to me that the Kings wouldn’t kick a couple thousand dollars toward travel, room and ticket for this conference just to see if there was something smarter they could be doing about the direction of this team.
http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/2011/03/08/from-mit-sloan-conference-kings-formula-still-not-advanced/

wat

SUPREME1

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I can't remember the last time I posted pics/info, but I did recently pick up two candy cabs that I'm going to rotate fighters and shooters in and out of. I still need to move the Punch-Out!! downstairs, and I'm picking up another pinball machine (White Water) soon.

^diehard is a damn fool then. I'm gonna hitch hike all the way to Utar and get my game on. See you in about a week.

They ALL cried. Some just a little more than others. Bosh still can't talk about that game without choking up and looking to the left.

Serious?

OMG I want this to be true so fucking bad. LOL.

Truphenom

Idk one of the announcers said they heard it was him, either way its kind of pathetic. theyy are really letting the pressure get to them.

Not sure if this was posted. Poll from LeBatard's article:

Which Heat player do you believe cried after Sunday’s loss to Chicago?

Chris Bosh 464
34%

Mario Chalmers 92
7%

LeBron James 388
28%

Mike Miller 169
12%

Dwyane Wade 146
11%

Someone else 106
8%

Truphenom

The cavs didnt cry, neither did the Wizards. If they actually ran some plays under 5 minutes they would at least give themselves a chance but i feel like now James is going to keep on trying until he hits one, cuz if he lets Wade try then everyone is going to call him a bitch for deferring lol.

Truphenom

jordan0386 said:
I'd cry too, I never play to lose.

In a regular season game? I'd rather see them argue with each other and hurt some feelings. They seem too scared to lay out the law of how the team needs to be run in order to win the real games.

ImperialConquest said:
I thought the Maloofs were big spenders. Do they simply not give a fuck about their NBA franchise any longer?
I think the Palms turned into a money pit and they are trying to sell it (unsuccessfully).

charsace

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It's time to start the Jonas Valanciunas hype train:

l4854042.jpg

20-14 (Per 40 minutes) on 70% shooting and 90% from the line in Euroleague and is now putting up even bigger numbers back in Lithuania. 7'7 wingspan. Motor that never stops. Jonas-Derrick-Hayward-Not Jimmer-Evans-Other pieces future!
Too bad the Jazz won't have a top 5 pick since I think he will be in the top 5 with Irving and the kid from Baylor.

Gigglepoo

jordan0386 said:
45-16 and crying after a 4 game losing streak. I'll take that 8 days a week.

They are in it to win it.

They're crying because they can't beat any good teams. You can't win it if you can't beat playoff teams.

What separates the Hawks from the Heat? I mean, both have:

-Arguably the most talented lineup in the NBA
-No depth
-No coaching
-No offense
-All ISOs all the time
-Gimmicky defense
-Limited post game
-Beat up on bad teams
-Lose to good teams
-Terrible fans

charsace said:
Too bad the Jazz won't have a top 5 pick since I think he will be in the top 5 with Irving and the kid from Baylor.

Perry Jones sucks so bad, he shouldn't go top 8. Abysmal intangibles, terrible rebounder, horrid defender, incredibly raw offensively. Jazz have several picks from the next few drafts which they can use to trade up to get Jonas and have a chance through the lottery.

diehard

Fleer
Jeff-DSA said:

I don't have a car :(

ToxicAdam

jordan0386 said:
45-16 and crying after a 4 game losing streak. I'll take that 8 days a week.

They are in it to win it.

Record against teams with:

Sub-.200 winning pct: 3-0 (20.3 margin of victory)
.201-300: 11-0 (14.7 margin of victory)
.301-400: 7-1 (10 margin of victory)
.401-.500: 8-1 (7.2 margin of victory)
.501-.600: 11-6 (4.35 margin of victory)
.601-.700: 4-2 (6.5 margin of victory)
.700-better: 0-8 (-8.25 point margin of victory)

There are four teams with a .700 winning percentage right now — Boston, San Antonio, Dallas and Chicago.

Then there’s this:

Record in games decided by 5 points or less: 5-12
Record in games decided by 15 points or more: 14-3

Heat culture, baby.

Link

reilo

Jeff-DSA said:
Your feet don't work? I can't pick you up because then it would be a date and that's not happening.
Funny enough, that wouldn't be the first man-date for NBA-Gaf.

reilo

ph33nix said:
Udonis Haslem back in practice.

LEAGUE ON NOTICE
Is this the same notice that was handed out when Mike Miller returned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom