• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

I'm really happy to see that Philly has finally turned it around.

3-13 through 16 games to start the season.

30-17 since.

I don't know what Doug Collins is doing with those guys, but it's been working for sure. He's definitely gotta be a close second in voting for CotY behind Thibs.

I expected the 76ers to be about right where they are before the season started, maybe even ahead of New York. They looked solid at nearly all positions.

Collins somehow getting Elton Brand to play toward his potential again. Still isn't worth his contract by a long shot, but it looks like he's finally producing consistently.

If Turner pans out and stops playing like a bitch he's gonna be nice for them.

All they really need now is a couple more legit shooters and some defensive size on the inside and I could easily see them being Top 4 or 5 in the East.

SamuraiX-

LeBron: We Could Lose Every Game And Still Probably Make The Playoffs

RealGM said:
LeBron James is trying to remain upbeat despite Miami's five-game losing streak.

“We’re just at a point in the season where we’ve hit a dry spot. How do we explain it? We can’t. Me and D-Wade will try to keep our teammates upbeat. This is not rock bottom for us. We could lose every game and still probably make the playoffs.”

Dwyane Wade and LeBron James received very little support outside of Mario Chalmers, who had 10 points.

Chris Bosh was outplayed by LaMarcus Aldridge, who had 26 points compared to just seven from Miami's power forward.

Come on, LeBron.

You're not even trying anymore.

i just realized Boston was the first team to clinch a playoff spot. GG weak bottom of the lEast.

Spurs still about 2 games away (depending on tiebreakers).

J2 Cool

I can't decide whether the problem for Miami is that Bron and Wade are redundant or that Bosh is not a quality 3. I'm starting to agree with Chuck though. If you can't grab boards, and get some tip ins/hustle points with Bron and Wade on your team, you're a problem if you're the "big". The team would be better with Horace Grant.

I'd get rid of Bosh and Mike Miller at this point in the offseason. Get another shooter and some defense, size, and cleanup work from someone. Anyway, they better get to 55 wins
, or I'm going to be out of some $

DCX

DCX
J2 Cool said:
I can't decide whether the problem for Miami is that Bron and Wade are redundant or that Bosh is not a quality 3. I'm starting to agree with Chuck though. If you can't grab boards, and get some tip ins/hustle points with Bron and Wade on your team, you're a problem if you're the "big". The team would be better with Horace Grant.

I'd get rid of Bosh and Mike Miller at this point in the offseason. Get another shooter and some defense, size, and cleanup work from someone. Anyway, they better get to 55 wins
, or I'm going to be out of some $
Trade Bosh to Washington for Mcgee and Young. You gots yourself an athletic defensive center, Young with scoring punch off the bench.

DCX

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Frankman said:
PG: Felton or Chalmers
SG: Wade
SF: Gallinari
PF: Bosh
C: Anthony

bench: Chandler, Felton/Chalmers, Haslem, Jones, Millier, Big Z, House

That's not bad at all and they'd still shoot 30 FTs a game plus have actual guys who can hit 3's.

That team is hot trash..

You'd still have a huge gaping asshole in the front line on D minus 30 8 and 6 per game..

Blackace

SamuraiX- said:

30-17 since.

I don't know what Doug Collins is doing with those guys, but it's been working for sure. He's definitely gotta be a close second in voting for CotY behind Thibs.

I expected the 76ers to be about right where they are before the season started, maybe even ahead of New York. They looked solid at nearly all positions.

Collins somehow getting Elton Brand to play toward his potential again. Still isn't worth his contract by a long shot, but it looks like he's finally producing consistently.

All they really need now is a couple more legit shooters and some defensive size on the inside and I could easily see them being Top 4 or 5 in the East.

They turned it around quite well, but I still live by this motto "can't win with a UCLA PG".

Jay Sosa

SamuraiX- said:

30-17 since.

Well they do have a decent team, I always wondered why they aren't more successful with Brand and Iguadala.

Sharp

masud said:
Philly has a shit load of talent. The only question is why it took them this long to turn it around.
Sure, but when the only major additions to a team are Evan Turner and Doug Collins and the team starts doing dramatically better, odds are that the coach was the key. Shit, they have like the best-scoring bench in the league now, it's not even their starters that are winning them games.

KingGondo

Banned
The Oklahoman said:
Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook is 36 points shy of 4,000 in his career.

When he reaches the mark, Westbrook will join Oscar Robertson, LeBron James, Chris Paul and Anfernee Hardaway as the only players in NBA history to amass 4,000 points, 1,500 assists and 1,000 rebounds in their first three seasons.

The 22-year-old Westbrook has been named Western Conference Player of the Week five times this season. No other player in the West has been selected more than twice.

Rose is 127 rebounds away from reaching 1,000, not sure if he can do it by the end of the season.

giri

masud said:
Philly has a shit load of talent. The only question is why it took them this long to turn it around.
because some of that talent is just plain dumb also. They had the wrong coach for a year or so, and brand was playing like crap for 2 years.

Blackace

giri said:
because some of that talent is just plain dumb also. They had the wrong coach for a year or so, and brand was playing like crap for 2 years.

Brand wasnt used correctly for two years

Jay Sosa

Yeah Brand never striked me as a player who slacks off because he doesn't like the coach or already has a big contract. That said I haven't really seen too much 76 games the last few years so I couldn't really tell what the problem is. It just was odd that a former franchise player suddenly put up so average numbers.

Ok, I GET that our team won't match last year's Cavs win total. Yes, it is funny that our team is allegedly "worse" than that, I suppose for the rest.

But the same people who keep bringing that up are also the ones who create noise about him choking in the playoffs...so why exactly does this regular season win count fucking matter?

Anyways, I still want to see what happens. and LOL at all you people pushing the "panic trade" button already...wouldn't want you as my GM

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ph33nix said:
Ok, I GET that our team won't match last year's Cavs win total. Yes, it is funny that our team is allegedly "worse" than that, I suppose for the rest.

But the same people who keep bringing that up are also the ones who create noise about him choking in the playoffs...so why exactly does this regular season win count fucking matter?

Anyways, I still want to see what happens. and LOL at all you people pushing the "panic trade" button already...wouldn't want you as my GM
Thanks for having my back, Heat Defense Force ASSEMBLE!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
twinturbo2 said:
http://twitter.com/#!/jamesmielke/status/45433421912211456

Ugh, I'm certain that if LeBron took his talents to Manhattan, he wouldn't be bitching so loud. Someone please remind him that the Knicks aren't much better, even with Melo.

0-3 against Cleveland, two of those losses after the Melo trade, 'nuff said.
Why do you even care, about what a v.g. journo says?

Heat Culture is getting too sensitive.

Gigglepoo said:
Why would Khan give up Love and Rubio for a guy who makes way more than Love, isn't better than him, and would hate to play in Minnesota?

What are some serious trades they could make if they decide to blow this up?

Bosh is super athletic and has a 7'6 wingspan.

K.Jack said:
Why do you even care, about what a v.g. journo says?

Heat Culture is getting too sensitive.

Heat Culture? Lmao those fair weather fans? I find it funny that away teams make their self at home when they play the heat in their own arena because of their horrible fans.

Crisco

Banned
oh no......no no no no no

tumblr_lhs2dhFn3C1qzb7vjo1_500.jpg

When Bosh was out a while ago it was suddenly "OMG he really is important to the team" when we hit a losing stretch

now it's TRADE BOSH

although I will say this--if he's going to complain about getting a lack of touches in the post and not being treated like a big man in the offense...then start playing like a fucking man on the other end and defend the god damn paint better

ph33nix said:
although I will say this--if he's going to complain about getting a lack of touches in the post and not being treated like a big man in the offense...then start playing like a fucking man on the other end and defend the god damn paint better

Bosh should play like he was still a Raptor or even more aggressively even.

Make a move and impose your will to the basket and if you fail, at least you have a chance of getting foul calls.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Bosh should play like he was still a Raptor or even more aggressively even.

Make a move and impose your will to the basket and if you fail, at least you have a chance of getting fouls calls.

He can't because he's not the first option and is not playing in a irrelevant ass team

Full Metal Jacket said:
He can't because he's not the first option and is not playing in a irrelevant ass team

I don't buy that, he could, at least moreso than he is doing now.

It's time for him to take over and stop caring what the other guys think.

Not at the expense of team basketball but just as every other teams' big men do.

If he has a guy one on one not far from the basket, he needs to step on the gas and take the greenlight.

He should be taking it to the hoop around 5-7 times per game.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I don't buy that, he could, at least moreso than he is doing now.

It's time for him to take over and stop caring what the other guys think.

Not at the expense of team basketball but just as every other teams' big men do.

If he has a guy one on one not far from the basket, he needs to step on the gas and take the greenlight.

He should be taking it to the hoop around 5-7 times per game.

I'm just really annoyed because I feel like he's just missing his open mid-range jumpshots, so I almost feel as if now he's using the "I'm not being utilized enough on the low block" excuse

he is a better low post player than i think people credit him for, at least from what I have seen

ph33nix said:
I'm just really annoyed because I feel like he's just missing his open mid-range jumpshots, so I almost feel as if now he's using the "I'm not being utilized enough on the low block" excuse

Oh, maybe.

He's a good shooter but when your shot isn't falling, go for the higher percentage one.

Aggressiveness leads to good things, especially trips to the line.

No one is going to foul Bosh on the perimeter, they probably would love him to shoot there all game.

Puddles

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
The 06 Heat beating the Pistons (who were widely considered the best team in the league, and were two-time defending EC champions) was a massive upset, yes. It was the third year of Shaq's decline, they were worse than the previous year, and they gambled on a group of role players (Posey, Kapono, Payton, Walker, J Will) to put them over the top.

Fixed. He started declining in the 03-04 season. Along with Malone's injury, that was the single biggest reason they lost to the Pistons.

SamuraiX- said:

30-17 since.

I came to post this. I think Andre Igoudala is finely becoming a complete player. He's definitely one of the best SFs in the league now. That's not something I would have said in previous seasons. If he can develop a legit jumpshot, then damn.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Oh, maybe.

He's a good shooter but when your shot isn't falling, go for the higher percentage one.

Aggressiveness leads to good things, especially trips to the line.

No one is going to foul Bosh on the perimeter, they probably would love him to shoot there all game.

I agree. That's why I wish Bosh would STFU.

And like I said earlier...if he wants to talk about being a big man, then play like one on defense for fuck's sake. If you want to "help out the team", getting the ball in the low post is just starting what you're supposed to do. Bosh actually is a pretty good pick and roll cover guy because he's so long and quick but he is one of the worst shot blocking big men I've ever seen. Kevin Garnett, in all his doucheness, would never complain about a lack of touches in Boston because he does all the little (and dirty) things so well.

Meier said:
I like how Wade and James are shooting at a higher percentage than Bosh. How backwards is that?

I don't know but I saw you in the pictures thread and you said you worked at UT. As in...Texas? Or Tennessee? Or am I done fucked up here?

ph33nix said:

And like I said earlier...if he wants to talk about being a big man, then play like one on defense for fuck's sake. If you want to "help out the team", getting the ball in the low post is just starting what you're supposed to do. Bosh actually is a pretty good pick and roll cover guy because he's so long and quick but he is one of the worst shot blocking big men I've ever seen. Kevin Garnett, in all his doucheness, would never complain about a lack of touches in Boston because he does all the little (and dirty) things so well.

Bosh has always been an iso scorer who doesn't defend.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
MidnightCowboy said:
I came to post this. I think Andre Igoudala is finely becoming a complete player. He's definitely one of the best SFs in the league now. That's not something I would have said in previous seasons. If he can develop a legit jumpshot, then damn.

I'm more scared of Philly than NY in the first round because they play defense.

SephCast said:
I'm more scared of Philly than NY in the first round because they play defense.
I was going to suggest tanking for dat third seed, but I didn't know New York was only a half game ahead of Philly. I thought they'd be a lot higher than that. I could see them catching NY.

ph33nix said:

In Cleveland, we didn't push the panic button when the team chronically posted mediocre/poor records against the best teams in the league. We assumed they'd figure it out, turn it up in the playoffs and be fine. But that assumed they weren't trying their best in the regular season...that flaws weren't really flaws.

In reality, it doesn't work like that. What you see in the Heat's record against the best teams is a reflection of a systemic and personnel problem they have that will not be easily corrected this season. In fact, it may not ever be corrected given the salary situation. They need talent they cannot afford and I'm not sure what they can do now. I think this season it is fair to presume that they'll not advance to the Finals (how close they get remains to be seen). Other teams are simply better teams. I do think that if next season will be either the defining moment or the curtain call for the trio. If they're not markedly better--as evidenced by a significantly better record against the best teams--they will be broken up. They must be.

Full Metal Jacket said:
Heat Culture? Lmao those fair weather fans? I find it funny that away teams make their self at home when they play the heat in their own arena because of their horrible fans.
real talk.

ph33nix said:

at some point, you'll have to accept him for who he is and who he isn't.

Kevin Garnett he isn't, nor has he ever been. The notion that he'd change his personality and character...and suddenly become a defense-first low-post threat is simply detached from reality.

LosDaddie

Banned
I got the company's tickets for Monday's game. Here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics of where we sat:

Portalnd vs Orlando

2qd2055.jpg

34h6z52.jpg

I blame the loss on Dwight being suspended. Portland has some tall dude (#12) just beastin' on the Magic all night. I imagine Howard would've put a stop to that if he were on the court on Monday.

Despite the Magic losing, we had a great time. Got a little inebriated by those $8 beers.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
MidnightCowboy said:
I was going to suggest tanking for dat third seed, but I didn't know New York was only a half game ahead of Philly. I thought they'd be a lot higher than that. I could see them catching NY.

You can see them making up a half game? Wow, a bold prediction :)

Dreams-Visions said:
In Cleveland, we didn't push the panic button when the team chronically posted mediocre/poor records against the best teams in the league. We assumed they'd figure it out, turn it up in the playoffs and be fine. But that assumed they weren't trying their best in the regular season...that flaws weren't really flaws.

at some point, you'll have to accept him for who he is and who he isn't.

Kevin Garnett he isn't, nor has he ever been. The notion that he'd change his personality and character...and suddenly become a defense-first low-post threat is simply detached from reality.

Everybody has mediocre records against the best teams in the league. You're supposed to win some and lose some. All I remember is many people shitting their pants before the playoffs started because the Lakers lost to the Cavs, they were on a roll, etc. etc.

And I never said Bosh would suddenly become like Garnett. Did I? You really think Heat fans are delusional in every post we make. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom