• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

SephCast said:
Twitter update from Bulls Beat reporter KCJohnson (KCJHoop)

Good to hear.
Eh, i'm not sure it looked that bad even.

Also, those refs just sound like they're involved in a betting, seriously. But the way they power walked away from the whole thing screams of "getting the fuck out of here while it's working for me".

reilo said:
On the same flipside, when Oden was rehabbing he put on too much muscle that ballooned his weight up beyond a healthy treshold for him. He had a ridiculous <8% body fat, but he was still too big because all of that muscle still adds up to substantial weight.

It's why it's such a miracle that Lebron hasn't gotten severely hurt with his huge frame and reckless to-the-basket playing style.

I don't know about that. LeBron has the fluidity still that generally says you have a good amount of weight. Malone was huge and never missed a game (And steroids didn't help Boozer stay healthy so it wasn't that!) and Dwight hasn't missed a game either. Boozer and Oden just lumber in a way that looks terrible. Cousins does as well (Though that's fat not muscle) so I think he's going to be getting injured a lot after his third year.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
giri said:
Yeah, but this isn't what he should be drafted on.

Remember the Johnny Flynn people, remember.
Nah, Flynn's rep was built on a 6OT game, and his line that game wasn't even that great: 34 points (on 9-24 shooting), 11 assists, 6 steals and 7 turnovers in 67 minutes.

Walker will actually be an NBA player. UConn produces good pros. Thabeet doesn't count.

SamuraiX-

Blackface said:
Kemba Walker's game winner, is the best in history.

He inbounded the ball. Then he got it back, he broke some guys ankle,s and won the game at the buzzer.

FUCKING CLUTCH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzWFPmYTsWk

Lebron could learn a thing or twelve.

Not trying to discount this, but the guy's ankles he broke was 6'11", 250 lb C Gary McGhee.

SWITCH EVERYTHING

But yeah. Mismatch or not, that move just looked good.

SamuraiX- said:
Not trying to discount this, but the guy's ankles he broke was 6'11", 250 lb C Gary McGhee.

SWITCH EVERYTHING

But yeah. Mismatch or not, that move just looked good.

Gotta take the mismatch into account, that move was still silky though.

Jeff-DSA

Rodeo Clown said:
Nah, Flynn's rep was built on a 6OT game, and his line that game wasn't even that great: 34 points (on 9-24 shooting), 11 assists, 6 steals and 7 turnovers in 67 minutes.

That had to be the craziest game I had ever seen. Double overtime is rare, but 6OTs about broke my brain. I don't even think NBA Jam would keep asking for quarters at that point.

giri

Rodeo Clown said:

Walker will actually be an NBA player. UConn produces good pros. Thabeet doesn't count.
What i mean is, don't draft players on One Game. It should be done on a body of work.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
giri said:
What i mean is, don't draft players on One Game. It should be done on a body of work.
Totally, but Jonny Flynn was considered a fringe lottery pick. Walker has been projected to go pretty high for a while.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Rodeo Clown said:
Totally, but Jonny Flynn was considered a fringe lottery pick. Walker has been projected to go pretty high for a while.
He was a fringe lottery pick and yet he went 6th? Da fuck?

SamuraiX-

Gerald Wallace blindsided by trade

ESPN said:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Calling it a "stab in the back" and "slap in the face," Gerald Wallace says he was blindsided by the Charlotte Bobcats' decision to trade him last month.

Back in Charlotte Thursday for the first time since being sent to Portland, Wallace said he was told by coach Paul Silas hours before the trade deadline that he wouldn't be dealt and "then I get home and bam, I'm traded."

The last original member of the 7-year-old franchise and the team's only All-Star, Wallace says he envisioned retiring as a Bobcat. Now he's getting used to new teammates on a likely playoff-bound team in Portland.

Wallace says Friday's game against his former team will be "emotional."

:(

linsivvi

exarkun said:
Van gundy ain't afraid.

And what a douche for openly talking about a team like that. Fuck him.

I don't know about that. Remember when his brother did the same thing with Yao back then and Stern shut him up, threatening a lengthy suspension?

No wonder JVG stays with ESPN for so long, he get to say whatever he wants now.

SamuraiX-

Dwyane Wade: We're not complaining

ESPN said:
MIAMI -- Dwyane Wade has a message for Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy and anyone else who is criticizing the Miami Heat for how they've handled their recent struggles.

"We're not around here complaining about the attention we get or attention we don't get, we're just stating facts of what we deal with," Wade said at the Heat's morning shootaround as he prepared to face the Los Angeles Lakers Thursday night.

"Besides the Lakers, I don't think there's another team that can understand it. When statements are made about the Miami Heat, about the attention we get and us crying about it, [from] Orlando they really don't understand."

Wade was responding to Van Gundy, who took a shot at the Heat earlier this week after it was revealed some members of the team cried following Sunday's loss to the Chicago Bulls.

"I do chuckle a little bit when they sort of complain about the scrutiny when they get," Van Gundy, who formerly coached the Heat, told reporters. "My suggestion would be if you don't want the scrutiny, you don't hold a championship celebration before you've even practiced together. It's hard to go out yourself and invite that kind of crowd and celebration and attention, and then when things aren't going well, sort of bemoan the fact that you're getting that attention. To me, that doesn't follow."

Van Gundy wasn't the only coach talking about the Heat this week. Lakers coach Phil Jackson took a shot at the Heat crying in the locker room by telling reporters: "This is the NBA: No Boys Allowed. Big boys don't cry. But, if you're going to do it, do it in the toilet where no one can see."

Wade said he has been avoiding watching ESPN during the Heat's five-game losing streak. But some news must be getting through to Wade, who said those types of comments will motivate the team when it turns things around.

"I'm sure everyone in the league is like 'Ah, OK, I knew it wasn't going to work,' " Wade said.

"But in December they didn't say that, they said, 'Oh well, that's right, it is working.' And we look to put that back in their minds again when we start winning ballgames. The Miami Heat isn't going to lose ballgames forever. Right now we're in a tough stretch, every team goes through a tough stretch. But when we get out of it, we'll go on a run."

Why do I suspect this "tough stretch" to end for them after March 19th and their so called "run" will begin around March 23rd?

And then suddenly stop again on April 10th.

reilo

@kevinarnovitz Phil Jackson says he enjoys watching BOS and SAS but isn't a fan of MIA's style of basketball.
PhilJax is seriously awesome at this kind of pre-game psychology warfare.

reilo

Miami better hope there isn't a hardcap or that they get rid of the MLE and veteran's minimum contracts in the new CBA...

overthecapmuch.png

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Man every basketball fan should go and listen to Bill Simmons interview with Jaylen Rose on ESPN. Some fascinating shit about the Michigan days, the Game 7 against Jordan's bulls, Kobe's 81 point game and a bunch of other crap. Awesome stuff.

the fact that you guys are being just as big a baby about the situation as wade justifies the shit he said right there

again, I'm trying to see what he said is so terrible...then again we have a bunch of ladies in here so I wouldn't put it past that

reilo

Black Mamba said:
really hoping LAL stomp on Miami tonight. Stupid 4pm start times.

Follow up on Reilo

:heatbench
It all makes sense. No wonder the Heat are losing: they're playing this shit like ph33nix in 2k.

linsivvi

ph33nix said:
the fact that you guys are being just as big a baby about the situation as wade justifies the shit he said right there

again, I'm trying to see what he said is so terrible...then again we have a bunch of ladies in here so I wouldn't put it past that

What he said was garbage. Even the Lakers wouldn't understand. They never had a "Lakers Index" section on ESPN, nor did they have commentators spent half the game talking about them when 2 other title contenders are playing on the court.

reilo

Dreams-Visions said:
the implosion is inevitable.
Udonis Haslem took a paycut so he could get paid $800k more than Joel Anthony. Awesome job there, Riles!

reilo

SamuraiX- said:
Wait, the Heat actually signed Joel Anthony to 4 years of guaranteed money?

SMFH
Essentially 5 years since that last year is a player option. No way he turns that shit down.

SamuraiX- said:
Wait, the Heat actually signed Joel Anthony to 4 years of guaranteed money?

SMFH

actually, it's 5 when you realize the 5th season is a player option. LOL

edit: Beaten

edit again: Luke contract is $12 million more and 1 more year. bleh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom