• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
giri said:
The bulls bench, is a very, decidedely so, average bench. If it was more, rose wouldn't have to regularly log 40mpg. Taj starting ? hmmm, not really. He's a good 6th man, thats where he's at his best.

Bogans isn't what he was. Terrible signing, brewer will probably replace him next year.

Clearly a sign of someone not watching enough games of a team. Bulls bench is a defensive monstrosity and they almost always extend the lead when they're on the floor. By average, you, that means they're around 15th, correct? As a cohesive unit, the Bulls bench is definitely top 10.

SamuraiX-

Knux-Future said:
Height + wingspan + upside = you get paaaaiiiid

Not to mention it is a valuable commodity to have somebody who looks like this who can also play basketball:

4mcve8h

giri

SephCast said:
Clearly a sign of someone not watching enough games of a team. Bulls bench is a defensive monstrosity and they almost always extend the lead when they're on the floor. By average, you, that means they're around 15th, correct? As a cohesive unit, the Bulls bench is definitely top 10.
By almost always you mean rarely, right?

I've seen plenty of bulls games, and they aren't "deep". Their bench comes in and plays their role. But there's a good reason the bulls don't blow a lot of people out of the water. You see them get up big, and give it up, regularly. You also can't have all 5 on the floor and expect much of anything.

You want to know/see a good bench.

Dragic, Barbosa, Dudley, Lou, Frye. That's a GOOD bench. Can be all run at once, and did dominate several starting units.

As i said, it's not a BAD bench, but it's not miraculously brilliant either. It's an average bench.

SamuraiX-

Cavaliers To Use Thunder Model For Rebuild

RealGM said:
The Cavaliers are attempting to stockpile assets and trade picks to rebuilt their team in the same way as Sam Presti did when he took over the Sonics.

''You've got to admire the way they've done it, no doubt about that,'' Byron Scott said of the Thunder. ''It's nothing that's going to happen overnight. That's the fantasyland when you think it's going to happen in a year. People have to be patient with that. You've got to give these guys time to develop, and sometimes it takes them a couple years.''

GM Chris Grant was elated to acquire an additional lottery pick in this year's draft, even if it cost the team financially because of the contract to Baron Davis.

I love how the Thunder apparently have a patent on this style of rebuilding.

pilonv1

dream said:
Holy hell Biedrins makes a lot of money.

That was signed after he was part of the team that clowned Dallas and won 48 games the next season, same with Monta. Injuries and Nelson ruined him.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
You also downplayed Luol Deng a lot.

Is he average too???

Anyone that knows basketball knows the Bulls' bench is above average.
LoL

You're right, i'm completely wrong. The bulls bench is the difference maker, i can't believe how awesome they are, added atleast 30 wins this season, at LEAST. They'll probably swap the bench mob with the starters in game 4 of the finals, just for shits and giggles.

You've come up with nothing, no argument, just a big fat zero. I know the bulls are hot right now, and rose and thibs are up for awards, but not everything they touch is golden.

Spooks

Stop hatin ya'll.

In all seriousness though I'm glad the Cavs are doing it right this time. I was scared to death after that Gilbert letter that they were going to try to still contend and make some dumb moves.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SamuraiX- said:
Never?

In the history of the league? Really?

In living through a 9.0 earthquake and tsunamis I can tell when Rodeo is joking

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
dream said:
Doc ran with that lineup the other day when we were in a tight game with the Sixers. Maybe that's why the Sixers won.

I love the Celtics but I'm embarrassed of Carlos Arroyo. Delonte cannot get healthy soon enough. The trade still doesn't make any sense to me but I guess any time you get a chance to trade one of the best centers in the league for a bunch of random white guys, you gotta do it.

Makes sense to me. However doc running them in the sixers game? That's standard Doc nowadays. he even admitted that he doesn't care about seeding. At this point it's about working with what they have, that's why Sasha is even here in the first place, that's Arroyo was picked up. Why be embarrassed of him though? That's an absolute overstatement, because there is much worse out there.

Also it's standard Boston stuff to overrate a player. I loved Perk for his energy, but he was a Technical waiting to happen, was constantly in foul trouble, and provided next to nothing in the offensive game.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
giri said:
LoL

You're right, i'm completely wrong. The bulls bench is the difference maker, i can't believe how awesome they are, added atleast 30 wins this season, at LEAST. They'll probably swap the bench mob with the starters in game 4 of the finals, just for shits and giggles.

You've come up with nothing, no argument, just a big fat zero. I know the bulls are hot right now, and rose and thibs are up for awards, but not everything they touch is golden.

I never said they were "golden". I actually don't even think the Bulls will get that far this year. I just think that they're definitely a top 10 bench, as opposed to "average".

msdstc said:
Makes sense to me. However doc running them in the sixers game? That's standard Doc nowadays. he even admitted that he doesn't care about seeding. At this point it's about working with what they have, that's why Sasha is even here in the first place, that's Arroyo was picked up. Why be embarrassed of him though? That's an absolute overstatement, because there is much worse out there.

Also it's standard Boston stuff to overrate a player. I loved Perk for his energy, but he was a Technical waiting to happen, was constantly in foul trouble, and provided next to nothing in the offensive game.

The team that gets the #1 seed in the East gets a bye, Celtics should be trying for that.

giri

SephCast said:
I never said they were "golden". I actually don't even think the Bulls will get that far this year. I just think that they're definitely a top 10 bench, as opposed to "average".
Double digits is in the "average" range. There's 30 teams, top 1 - 10, middle 11 - 20 (bulls bench range) bottom 21 - 30.

giri said:
LoL

I don't have to prove it to you, I have watched every single game the team has played this year.

Have you???

Many have disagreed with you on here, not because your stance is debatable but because it's preposterous.

The Bulls' bench isn't supposed to win games for the team, it's to hold the fort and not lose games and they don't lose games for the team. Sometimes they win games for them actually. Fun fact: According to Rose, they sometimes beat the Bulls' starters in practice.

Here's my breakdown of this "average" Bulls' bench:

Cj Watson: Plays brainless a lot of the time with his own shot selection but runs the team decently and can make plays both on his own and shows signs of being a good passer. Plays hard on defense.

Ronnie Brewer: Always makes plays defensively, has a decent jumper, very good on the break and smart player. Don't lose him on the baseline.

Taj Gibson: Blue collar, does a lot of things well. Great shot blocker, good rebounder, has decent post game and midrange jumper.

Omer Asik: Big, moves well, at times excellent shot blocker and rebounder, starting to finish well at the basket, sets good picks.

Kurt Thomas: More than held his own when Noah was out, savvy tough guy who is very crafty and respected on defense. Has an almost automatic mid to short range jumper.

Kyle Korver: Plays hard on defense at all times(isn't a big liability there) and is one of the best shooters in the game when given space.

Mix some starters in there and they are one of the deepest teams in the league although maybe not Sportscenter exciting.

SephCast said:
I actually don't even think the Bulls will get that far this year.

With the number 1 seed, they can get to the Finals.

I think Boston lost a lot when getting rid of tough as shit Perkins though they got more scoring.

With the number 2 seed, I think they can get to the East Finals.

Boston is the only team I fear and always will regardless of the move they made.

This won't be easy mind you, the Bulls will have to play at a high level but at home, they have beaten every good team in the league.

They just need to get a clue on the road.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Ronnie Brewer is the worst shooting SG I've ever seen, his shot is not close to decent.

Not true this year.

He doesn't shoot a lot but either makes the shots or they aren't far off.

What you just said there is the ultimate in hyperbole.

He hits jumpers, it's not rare.

It's rare that he takes them possibly though.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Blackace said:
In living through a 9.0 earthquake and tsunamis I can tell when Rodeo is joking
That's all it took?

My knowledge of Japanese geography is nonexistent, so I have no idea how badly you were affected, but I hope you and yours are well, bro.

No, I've never seen a SG in the NBA who shoots worse than Ronnie Brewer. He single-handily destroyed the Jazz's offense against the Lakers because Kobe ignored him, stood in the paint, and covered the other guys. Brewer went like 4-30 on jumpers in those two series, Kobe was never within 12 feet of him. Brewer has an eFG% of 32% on jumpers this year, 3/4 of those jumpers are assisted and wide-open. To put that into perspective, if every Bulls possession was a wide open, assisted Ronnie Brewer jumper and the Bulls had the same number of possessions, the Bulls would score 58 points per game.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Rodeo Clown said:
That's all it took?

My knowledge of Japanese geography is nonexistent, so I have no idea how badly you were affected, but I hope you and yours are well, bro.

Things are hectic in Sagamihara and scary but nothing like up north.. Thanks for the kind words tho

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
With the number 1 seed, they can get to the Finals.

I think Boston lost a lot when getting rid of tough as shit Perkins though they got more scoring.

With the number 2 seed, I think they can get to the East Finals.

Boston is the only team I fear and always will regardless of the move they made.

This won't be easy mind you, the Bulls will have to play at a high level but at home, they have beaten every good team in the league.

They just need to get a clue on the road.

The team just feels to be a little too good to be true. Trying to stay grounded. They're good, but they're not really battle tested. 2 first round exits for D-Rose doesn't really count. It'll be a fun ride, but I'm not expecting a title. I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not counting on it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The team that gets the #1 seed in the East gets a bye, Celtics should be trying for that.

Might as well be a bye. The difference between the 2nd and 1st seed is massive this year. Last year it didn't really matter as much in the east. It did bite them in the ass in the finals though.

giri

Blackace said:
Things are hectic in Sagamihara and scary but nothing like up north.. Thanks for the kind words tho
Oh, hey yeah, hope it all goes well. It's been rough in the pacific lately, but you guys have my utmost sympathy, truly terrible event.

Let's go deeper into this. Trevor Ariza is considered by many to be the worst shooter of all time, his eFG% on jumpers is 6% better. Rondo's eFG% on jumpers is 8% better and his attempts are off the dribble. Artest's is 9% better. AK47's is 10% better. Dwight's is 18% better. I like Brewer, he's a great guy to root for and plays hard and he seems to be playing well in Chicago. He is legendarily bad at shooting and the worst shooting SG I've ever seen.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
No, I've never seen a SG in the NBA who shoots worse than Ronnie Brewer.

Just going by what I see.

Obviously he's not a great shooter but he's a capable shooter.

He even shoots threes every blue moon now(though that's NOT at all what I want to see).

I've seen him make several open jumpers this year.

He's certainly not Kirilenko bad(yeah, he's not a shooting guard but he acts like one at times!!!!).

Is Brewer a good enough shooter to live up to that position???

Of course not but he can hit the shot.

People here think he should/will start for the team there next year, I doubt it.

SephCast said:
The team just feels to be a little too good to be true. Trying to stay grounded. They're good, but they're not really battle tested. 2 first round exits for D-Rose doesn't really count. It'll be a fun ride, but I'm not expecting a title. I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not counting on it.

I'm not expecting a title this year at all but I think not getting to the Eastern Finals with this team would be a huge failure.

The future is really bright though.

giri

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Let's go deeper into this. Trevor Ariza is considered by many to be the worst shooter of all time, his eFG% on jumpers is 6% better. Rondo's eFG% on jumpers is 8% better and his attempts are off the dribble. Artest's is 9% better. AK47's is 10% better. Dwight's is 18% better. I like Brewer, he's a great guy to root for and plays hard and he seems to be playing well in Chicago. He is legendarily bad at shooting and the worst shooting SG I've ever seen.
I wouldn't sweat it too much, he also said Kyle Korver isn't a liability on D.

If Korver played decent D, he'd be able to start and not have so much spare time to work on his hair. And not just on this team, he'd start on quite a few teams. The heat would kill to have a shooter like him.. Hell, he would still be starting in Utah.

giri said:
I wouldn't sweat it too much, he also said Kyle Korver isn't a liability on D.

And you probably would have traded Asik for Courtney Lee...

Breaking news: Kyle Korver can't create his own shot, probably better off coming off the bench.

dream

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I'm not expecting a title this year at all but I think not getting to the Eastern Finals with this team would be a huge failure.

The future is really bright though.

Part of me thinks a Bulls/Celtics ECF is a lock while another part of me wonders if the Bulls can even handle playoff pressure.

dream said:
Part of me thinks a Bulls/Celtics ECF is a lock while another part of me wonders if the Bulls can even handle playoff pressure.

That remains to be seen but that crazy series against the Celtics in recent memory has to help(though different rosters somewhat).

Several Bulls' players should be fine(Deng, Rose, Kurt Thomas), it's going to be key that the others don't become overwhelmed by crazy playoff basketball.

At least they have the right coach to get them through it.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
And you probably would have traded Asik for Courtney Lee...

Breaking news: Kyle Korver can't create his own shot, probably better off coming off the bench.

Breaking news, he's 10x the shooter bogans is. Bogans doesn't create his own shot either, but this way people wouldn't ever collapse off of him. If korver played D he'd be making a lot of money playing next to d-will in utah. He doesn't, so he doesn't. It isn't a secret that people keep about korver.

I would have... balked at the asik trade, though i might've done it. Lee is a much better defender than bogans, and is a good shooter and a good finisher @ the rim (just not on alley oops in the finals).

Asiks good, but you're talking about a part timer vs a starter. The onyl reason you don't is because the bulls bigmen just can't stay healthy this season.

This Bulls team hasn't even won a playoff series yet and anything less than the ECF would be a failure? Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.

Blackace said:

Everybody I know and their families made it through okay, though I don't know that many Tohoku folks. Had my last straggler check in tonight. I hope it's the same for you.

giri said:
Breaking news, he's 10x the shooter bogans is. Bogans doesn't create his own shot either,

No shit but he plays defense(ask Ginoboli and others).

The Bulls don't have ANY shooting guards than can really create jumpers on their own.

An unideal situation???

Sure.

The rest of the team's strong as an ox though and it doesn't become glaring.....at least not yet.

I'd never trade a 7 footer with a lot of promise for a decent shooting guard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom