• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Blaster said:
This Bulls team hasn't even won a playoff series yet and anything less than the ECF would be a failure? Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.

I'd say the expectations are realistic, they've beaten every good team in the league at least once and they are the best defensive team in the NBA arguably.

They have great chemistry and superb coaching.

They haven't even had all their starters during most of the season and they haven't missed a beat.

I doubt the playoffs will make them resort to playing like the Orlando Magic.

SamuraiX-

giri said:
With out looking or thinking. SAS, Suns, Celtics, Lakers, Denver all have v.good benches.

So that's five teams. Need another five from you if you really believe Chicago falls in that Top 10-20 "average" bench area.

I would take out the Lakers. Besides Odom everybody else is just average. Boston has been even worse with West (out for most of the season) and Green (hasn't been that impressive) being decent bright spots, but Big Baby being inconsistent as hell and everybody else just plain sucks.

I say you gotta add Dallas, Philly, and OKC though.

Kogepan

just took a look at the salary numbers..

Knicks have 41 million on the books for 12/13, so possibly ~17 million to offer Paul/Williams. They wouldn't be able to re-sign Fields who would be a free agent, and would have to renounce Toney Douglas. So a very simliar situation to Miami, except everyone is older and is a higher injury risk.

Kogepan said:

Knicks have 41 million on the books for 12/13, so possibly ~17 million to offer Paul/Williams. They wouldn't be able to re-sign Fields who would be a free agent, and would have to renounce Toney Douglas. So a very simliar situation to Miami, except everyone is older and is a higher injury risk.

No, they don't. They have 11 million in cap room because you have to have a 500k cap hold for every open roster spot you have.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I'd say the expectations are realistic, they've beaten every good team in the league at least once and they are the best defensive team in the NBA arguably.

They have great chemistry and superb coaching.

They haven't even had all their starters during most of the season and they haven't missed a beat.

I doubt the playoffs will make them resort to playing like the Orlando Magic.

Yep, just like the 2009 Cavs were slated to sweep all the way to the finals with that great chemistry and league-best defense; and just like the 2010 Celtics were washed up has-beens.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kogepan said:

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
No, they don't. They have 11 million in cap room because you have to have a 500k cap hold for every open roster spot you have.
This and...

Knicks would be idiotic not to re-sign Fields if he progresses nicely. Also, the chance of them only going into 2013 with three players on their roster is slim. Not to mention how big of a wildcard the CBA is right now.

Kogepan

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

wow, thx. So thats looking pretty grim then? Paul/Williams would need to basically take a 7-8 million pay cut to join Melo/Amare as their caddy, and the rest of the roster would still be league minimum trash?

giri

SamuraiX- said:
So that's five teams. Need another five from you if you really believe Chicago falls in that Top 10-20 "average" bench area.

I would take out the Lakers. Besides Odom everybody else is just average. Boston has been even worse with West (out for most of the season) and Green (hasn't been that impressive) being decent bright spots, but Big Baby being inconsistent as hell and everybody else just plain sucks.

I say you gotta add Dallas, Philly, and OKC though.
don't have the time, working, this would actually require thought, where as picking apart "Kyle Korver, defensive stalwart" doesn't.

Barnes is good off the lakers bench, and Blakes not terrible. Shannon is ok. They don't really have a backup 5 though.

Kogepan said:

a) Paul is seemingly so broken down I dunno if he's worth the max to join the Knicks. His knee is in a bad way down the road.
b) Fields and Douglas will be resigned, Walsh loves Fields and it's not like they'll be commanding big money.

reilo

Kogepan said:
wow, thx. So thats looking pretty grim then? Paul/Williams would need to basically take a 7-8 million pay cut to join Melo/Amare as their caddy, and the rest of the roster would still be league minimum trash?
League minimum trash at the moment (ie, a full year salary) is $850k. That means they'd have even less than $11mil to play with even if they renounce Douglas/Fields. Plus, the chances of them having only three players going into that summer, I don't know how that would happen. The draft alone would take care of a couple of mil of capspace alone.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Stopped reading there...

Maybe you should try reading more. Perhaps then you wouldn't have to bend over backwards telling everyone how Boozer's a great teammate and how Ronnie Brewer is a capable shooter.

NBA GMs are saying that if Jared Sullinger was four inches taller, he'd be a great player and are saying this in a completely serious tone. Let's do this for other players.

What if Karl Malone was 7'0?
What if David Robinson was 7'6?
What if MJ was 6'10?
What if LeBron was 7'0?
What if AI was 6'4?
What if Yao was 7'10?
What if [insert any player here] was four inches taller?

Such a dumb argument.

Red Blaster said:
Maybe you should try reading more. Perhaps then you wouldn't have to bend over backwards telling everyone how Boozer's a great teammate and how Ronnie Brewer is a capable shooter.

Boozer has been a great teammate, show me examples of him not being one this year.

I am waiting...

Brewer is a capable shooter, I watch games, not stats.

If he was an abysmal shooter, I would fret everytime he took an open shot...I don't.

The Frankman said:
If AI was 6'4 we would talk about him differently, he'd be a legit SG instead of pigeonholing him at PG.

Uh, yeah, that's the point. Four inches is huge in the NBA and NBA GMs saying that if only Sullinger was an oversized center instead of an undersized power forward is absolutely ridiculous. It was ridiculous last year when people said "Well, if Cousins wasn't legally insane, he'd be the #1 pick" since you can play that game with every top 10 prospect and their critical flaw. This height thing with Sullinger though is the easily the stupidest yet. You cannot get prospects to grow taller, they're going to be this size, talking about what they would be if their genetics were quite different is absurd.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Boozer has been a great teammate, show me examples of him not being one this year.

I am waiting...

Brewer is a capable shooter, I watch games, not stats.

If he was an abysmal shooter, I would fret everytime he took an open shot...I don't.

Are you really gonna pull that RealGM shit here?

Gilbert Arenas is a great shooter. I watch games, not stats brah.

reilo

Kirk Herbstreit and his family moved out of central Ohio yesterday, a change that the ESPN college football analyst said he had pondered for three years. Herbstreit said the move to Nashville, Tenn., was because of the constant criticism he has received from a vocal minority of Ohio State fans who don't understand that his job at the network demands objectivity and fairness.

"Nobody loves Ohio State more than me," said Herbstreit, a former Buckeyes quarterback. "I still have a picture of Woody Hayes and my dad (Jim, a former OSU player) in my office, and nobody will do more than I do for the university behind the scenes. But I've got a job to do, and I'm going to continue to be fair and objective. To continue to have to defend myself and my family in regards to my love and devotion to Ohio State is unfair."
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/03/11/rumblings-3-11-art-gl0bu32m-1.html
This phenomenon shows up in plenty of ways, even at a site as civil as this one. Some people can't get into spirited--or really any--debate without throwing in snide ad hominem attacks, proclaiming how stupid another person is or how EXTREMELY EMOTIONALLY OUTRAGED THEY FEEL that a fellow reader would dare to make an argument that disagrees with their outlook. Even more people delight to describe the assertions of others as "hating" or "bashing" or "blind loyalty" or "man crushes". Say something critical, or sometimes even just fail to say something sufficiently positive, about somebody's favorite player and the accusations of bias come flying.
http://www.blazersedge.com/2011/3/13/2049162/fandumb

I ain't hatin' on Lebron, I'm just spittin' the truf. Don't hate on me, bitches!

BONUS: Creepy picture from the first article:

rumblings-3-11-art-gl0bu32m-1rumblings-3-11-img.jpg

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Uh, yeah, that's the point. Four inches is huge in the NBA and NBA GMs saying that if only Sullinger was an oversized center instead of an undersized power forward is absolutely ridiculous. It was ridiculous last year when people said "Well, if Cousins wasn't legally insane, he'd be the #1 pick" since you can play that game with every top 10 prospect and their critical flaw. This height thing with Sullinger though is the easily the stupidest yet. You cannot get prospects to grow taller, they're going to be this size, talking about what they would be if their genetics were quite different is absurd.
The only thing I can think to defend this is the Scottie Pippen example where from his freshman year in college to his year before the draft he went from 6'1 to 6'7-ish. I HOPE the guy meant something like this...

Red Blaster said:
Are you really gonna pull that RealGM shit here?

Gilbert Arenas is a great shooter. I watch games, not stats brah.

You didn't answer the popular Boozer stance.

I don't know of this RealGm shit, I just don't judge completely on stats.

I judge by what I see.

If stats told the whole story, guys with taped glasses would know the game the best.

It's not really exciting either, feels like I am back in math class and not discussing wonderful sports.

Kogepan

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

Thanks for the explanation.

On the flipside, the Thunders cap situation looks great...Presti has done a real good job. 49 million for next year and basically everyone other than Nazr is already signed. They will have room to add some pieces AND extend Westbrook the year after.

giri

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

I judge by what I see.

If stats told the whole story, guys with taped glasses would know the game the best.

It's not really exciting either, feels like I am back in math class and not discussing wonderful sports.
Thats becaue you think all stats are the same. They aren't.

Advanced stats all have their flaws, you know them, and work around that and do comparisons on their strengths.

Simple stats like shooting %... you shoot what you shoot. There's context, PG's for e.g. will shoot a lot lower %, they usually get dumped the ball with shit all time on the clock, where as bigs should shoot a better %, they work closer to the basket.

Brewer is a guy who doesn't have to create, gets just as many decent open looks as any other SG, and yet shoots abysmally. You can interpret that how ever the hell you want, but he's not a great shooter. He is, a very capable defender, and scores well in transition.

Kyle Korver, same team, almost the exact same thing, shoots .431 to brewers .250.

Korver, is the other end of the scale, he's a great shooter. And thats about where it starts and ends.

Anyway you want to roll this, Brewer isn't a good shooter.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

I judge by what I see.

When someone's eFG% on jumpshots is in the low 30s, he's not a shooter. Plain and simple. Saying that you're not a brainiac on the nerd patrol doesn't give you license to make patently false statements I'm afraid.

dream

Something about Dwight's eFG% being 18% higher than Brewer's bothers me. I don't know if it's because I didn't know Dwight's was that high or because Brewer's that low.

giri said:
Thats becaue you think all stats are the same. They aren't.

Advanced stats all have their flaws, you know them, and work around that and do comparisons on their strengths.

Simple stats like shooting %... you shoot what you shoot. There's context, PG's for e.g. will shoot a lot lower %, they usually get dumped the ball with shit all time on the clock, where as bigs should shoot a better %, they work closer to the basket.

Brewer is a guy who doesn't have to create, gets just as many decent open looks as any other SG, and yet shoots abysmally. You can interpret that how ever the hell you want, but he's not a great shooter. He is, a very capable defender, and scores well in transition.

Kyle Korver, same team, almost the exact same thing, shoots .431 to brewers .250.

Korver, is the other end of the scale, he's a great shooter. And thats about where it starts and ends.

Anyway you want to roll this, Brewer isn't a good shooter.

Well, I have different ideas of "abysmal".

I have seen every game the Bulls played this year and I am not horrified when Brewer takes an open jumper.

He may miss but I have seen him make plenty and often not miss by much.

Now if Asik shot midrange jumpers, I would laugh uncontrollably.

I guess what it comes down to is I see promise in Brewer's shot. Bogans is the same way, I am sure he isn't high up there in shooting threes(which is mostly all he does on offense) but he certainly is capable of making them.

Statistically, both probably aren't good shooters but for me, they aren't terrible or worst ever.

dream said:
Something about Dwight's eFG% being 18% higher than Brewer's bothers me. I don't know if it's because I didn't know Dwight's was that high or because Brewer's that low.

Dwight Howard has improved his offensive game!!!!!

He every once in a while hits bankshots from midrange and every once in a while, makes funny looking hook shots.

He still has less touch than Shaq but he's gotten better!!!!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Well, I have different ideas of "abysmal".

I have seen every game the Bulls played this year and I am not horrified when Brewer takes an open jumper.

He may miss but I have seen him make plenty and often not miss by much.

Now if Asik shot midrange jumpers, I would laugh uncontrollably.

I guess what it comes down to is I see promise in Brewer's shot. Bogans is the same way, I am sure he isn't high up there in shooting threes(which is mostly all he does on offense) but he certainly is capable of making them.

Statistically, both probably aren't good shooters but for me, they aren't terrible or worst ever.

He is abysmal... Just deal with it

Blackace said:
He is abysmal... Just deal with it

I won't.

Not until someone points out to me how Boozer has been a bad teammate this year!!!!

Actually, I am done talking about the team I like, I need to save all this energy for mentally preparing for their home game on Tuesday against the Wizards.

dream

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I won't.

Not until someone points out to me how Boozer has been a bad teammate this year!!!!

Actually, I am done talking about the team I like, I need to save all this energy for mentally preparing for their home game on Tuesday against the Wizards.

Carlos Boozer annoys the hell out of me and I think he's a liability on defense but I'm not really seeing the bad teammate thing either. He's a good scorer and doesn't have a tendency to hog the ball as much as you'd expect.

On a lighter note, let's see what the kids at Vince Carter Online are up to:

vince will score 30+ and play 40 minutes

I BELIEVE!

vc's waiting the ball at 3 point line,please vc go demand the ball,please!

I just don't get it. You're playing (fighting really) the people who broke your heart and smashed your alleged dream and you play like it's just another game (which for Vince means "disconnected"). How can one do that?

Godammit, VC being a pussy again!!! ARGHHHH!!!!

s there a word for biggest let down player/ tease player in the history of the game? mannnnn the worst part is, im probably going to watch his next game....

An unacceptable performance by Vince. His effort level was extremely low. I will never tolerate such an effort by the players on the team that I coach. I would have a talk with him and ask him why he didn't give his all in there. You are our best scorer and we know that you can still produce. Be aggressive out there, demand the ball and attack. If you can't do that, then I don't want you in there.

And the cherry on top!

y cant a tsunsmi hit orlando

Gigglepoo

Red Blaster said:
This Bulls team hasn't even won a playoff series yet and anything less than the ECF would be a failure? Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.

The Heat haven't won a playoff series either and have the same expectations.

dream

I mentioned this before but I have a friend who is the world's biggest Vince Carter fan and she once spent half an hour telling me how the Orlando/Phx trade was catastrophic because Vince gets you 25-30 points a game and Hedo and Richardson can't make that up. I didn't even know what to say to that.

dream said:
Carlos Boozer annoys the hell out of me and I think he's a liability on defense but I'm not really seeing the bad teammate thing either. He's a good scorer and doesn't have a tendency to hog the ball as much as you'd expect.

Ok, one last time but yeah, he's horrible on defense but I knew this when they signed him(sure they did as well).

The thing that most upsets me about Boozer is he gets his shot blocked too much and loses the ball.

He's also disappeared offensively lately though he had a 19/9 a few games ago.

I am just glad the Bulls are so strong defensively because he adds nothing there. Thibs is real though, he will bench Boozer when the situation calls for it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I won't.

What does Boozer have to do with Brewer's broken jumpshot?

Blackace said:
What does Boozer have to do with Brewer's broken jumpshot?

That was the first thing that guy "used" against me.

I replied to him wanting him to address that first but he didn't/couldn't.

Who cares anyway now, this has run its course.

I'd rather talk about Monta Ellis.

Gigglepoo said:
The Heat haven't won a playoff series either and have the same expectations.

Rose and Noah have never gotten past the 1st round. The Heat are led by two guys who have tons of playoff experience and can enact a free throw parade almost at will.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
That was the first thing that guy "used" against me.

I replied to him wanting him to address that first but he didn't/couldn't.

Who cares anyway now, this has run its course.

I'd rather talk about Monta Ellis.

I was mostly joking with the Boozer teammate thing, though Jazz fans might have something to say about it. Boozer's issue is that he turns to mush in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom