• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Dwight is the MVP.

Nothing weird is going on, Asik is close to being a top 10 defender in the NBA and only plays with Chicago's bench mob usually which is filled with exceptional defenders.

What are you talking about? Bulls bench is totally average.

Jeff-DSA

K.Jack said:
So, um.... what will we do, once the NBA locks out too?

Major League Soccer, anyone?

Sure. It's the only pro sports championship we have in Utah. Real Salt Lake is going to win it all again this year, fellas.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Not what the Magic bargained for: Arenas has taken 659 shots in 2010-11 ... and is shooting 37.5 percent. Only three other players are sub-40 percent with at least 600 FGA: Brandon Jennings, Trevor Ariza, John Salmons.
Sekou Smith of NBA.com, who's been tracking the Hawks for years, did the painful calculations that found Hinrich is their ninth PG since the 2005 draft ... when Billy Knight didn't take D-Will or CP3.

SamuraiX-

reilo said:

Really not surprised.

He has regressed beyond measure.

Who was it in here who kept saying he should start over Jameer?

Now the Magic are stupid with his disgustingly absurd contract for another three years after this season.

And I can't believe Von Wafer was drafted ahead of Monta Ellis in that 2005 draft.

SamuraiX- said:
Who was it in here who kept saying he should start over Jameer?

I'd say he Jameer is the key to the Magic doing anything in the playoffs.

Dwight will get his points, rebounds and bricks at the line but Jameer is a much better player than people here would lead you to believe.

SamuraiX-

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I'd say he Jameer is the key to the Magic doing anything in the playoffs.

Dwight will get his points, rebounds and bricks at the line but Jameer is a much better player than people here would lead you to believe.

He's good when he's good, but he also always has the potential to destroy the team from the inside out with his horrible shot selection and refusal to pass the ball in some games.

Jeff-DSA

Guys, it's spelled J-I-M-M-E-R, not J-A-M-E-E-R, and the Magic can't draft him until next year so he's not key to any playoff run quite yet.

SUPREME1

Banned
bionic77 said:
I don't see how Rose doesn't get the MVP this year, but then again Steve Nash has as many MVPs as Kobe and Shaq combined so it isn't like the award has a lot of credibility left...

Will use.

Jeff-DSA

ESPN said:
NBA - Jimmer vs the Bucks

Compare the Bucks terrible performance Sunday night vs BYU's sizzling Jimmer Fredette vs New Mexico Friday.... Fredette scored 4 less points (52) than the Bucks did in TOTAL (56) -- and he hit the exact amount of field goals in 33 LESS attempts; AND he had 4 more threes (7) in the SAME amount of attempts (14).

You also have to account for there being 8 less minutes in an NCAA game.

Jazz going to lose at home again tonight... :(

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
SamuraiX- said:
:(

Sorry, Rodeo.

Hopefully the "report" came from the owner and they'll both be gone soon.
Yeah, OK. The owner came out and said he was disappointed and Kahn got the guys Kurt wanted. And Kahn saying he got Kurt's guys. It's obvious where this is headed. The right solution is for Taylor to sell the god damn team to fire everybody, but I'll take just Rambis. It's something, I guess.

Jeff-DSA said:

Luckily for the Jazz, Iggy has no one to shut down tonight since he's going against Bell and AK. On the not so lucky side, Brand may be the worst matchup in the NBA for Evans (Who has been playing well, don't get the hate some people have been giving him in the last two games)

edit: Favors is starting tonight, holy fuck, Corbin just made a logical decision. Oh, it's only because Hayward and Bell are banged up and may not play so Evans would have to be the first wing off the bench. :(

Jazz's 3PFG% allowed to opponents per month:

November: 30% (This month AK was amazing and got out to shooters at will and shut down everyone)
December: 39% (AK quit after November and Millsap and Deron quit running out to shooters)
January: 39% (Bench mob also tailed off after November. Fes and Price went back to being scrubs)
February: 41%
March: 50% (The will to live is gone. Bell and AK are stealing paychecks at this point)

SamuraiX-

Jeff-DSA said:

Yeah, it's not like the Bucks were playing one of the NBA's top defensive teams and Jimmerette was chucking against one of the worser teams in the NCAA or anything. Nope.

ESPN never disappoints.

Jeff-DSA

SamuraiX- said:
Yeah, it's not like the Bucks were playing one of the NBA's top defensive teams and Jimmerette was chucking against one of the worser teams in the NCAA or anything. Nope.

ESPN never disappoints.

New Mexico had already beat BYU twice this season. UNM is no scrub team.

Jeff-DSA

SamuraiX- said:
It seems like each of their wins against BYU was classified as an "upset".

Well, of course it would be. Heck, UNM would have had a win over SDSU on the road if they didn't get some insane home cooking against them in the last couple of minutes.

Come now, you have to respect the team that gave you superstar Kenny Thomas and the Pacers superscrub Danny Granger.

Puddles

Banned
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
What if Karl Malone was 7'0?
What if David Robinson was 7'6?
What if MJ was 6'10?
What if LeBron was 7'0?
What if AI was 6'4?
What if Yao was 7'10?

I can only imagine being 16 inches.

SamuraiX-

Jeff-DSA said:
Well, of course it would be. Heck, UNM would have had a win over SDSU on the road if they didn't get some insane home cooking against them in the last couple of minutes.

Come now, you have to respect the team that gave you superstar Kenny Thomas and the Pacers superscrub Danny Granger.

Kenny WHO?

Oh, you mean that fucker that ate up $40 mil of our team salary over 5 years.

Is he still alive?

J2 Cool

Red Blaster said:
Can someone firmly backup why Rose should be MVP? There's plenty of evidence why he shouldn't be (Not the best player at his position, scores at mediocre efficiency, Bulls win primarily due to their excellent defense and rebounding). Basically the only defense I've seen is that the Bulls are overachieving expectations and because he's the leading scorer he should get all the credit for it.

His stats are what they are. Doesn't matter to people that watched the Bulls for most of the year. The Bulls have moved to the brink of an elite team on his back, with Boozer/Noah barely on the court together most of the year.

They have wins against every major team: Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Magic, Heat, Mavericks. (where he has had some of his best games/moments) The Bulls defense and rebounding is great, but so was the Bobcats last year and many teams before them. You aren't getting a #2 seed with just a great defense. The offensive load falls on Rose's shoulders. There hasn't been a single other consistent offensive threat on the Bulls since the season started. If the team doesn't get going, it's his fault. If he doesn't play the team's going to fall off pretty dramatically, and knowing this, he's played through a stomach ulcer, wrist injury, knee, and hip, missing only 1 game.

His numbers have gone up in every category (+2.5 assists, +4.5pts, +10% ft, +.5 steals, 3p %, etc.) except fg% (44%), and his defense improved dramatically, almost overlooked at this point. Not making a bid for him for most improved player (though he has one), but his ascension has gone parallel with the Bulls success. He's simply the unequivocal leader of the Bulls, and has excited Bulls fans to a degree they haven't been since MJ left. This for the team with the 2nd best home record in the NBA.

I'm not saying he's a shoe-in, but he's as legitimate an MVP as there is this year. Dwight Howard's a great player, but the Magic are outperforming the Bulls with him and Rose off the court - despite having a career year in numbers. At least I can understand a case for him. Lebron, the Heat might be better some games with him off the court despite any numbers you throw at me. I've watched the games, which means a lot more than "Check My Stat" shirts. And yes I'm biased against him.

J2 Cool said:
They have wins against every major team: Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Magic, Heat, Mavericks. (where he has had some of his best games/moments)

This is your best point for me, especially the part in parantheses though it goes hand in hand.

He's not dominating weak teams and he usually dominates in the second half and in crunch time.

I remember the Lakers game, the Lakers made a push at the end and Rose ended it.

Jeff-DSA

Jazz Twitter said:
Status for tonight's game: Elson, Millsap, Okur & Price are OUT. Bell is a GAME-TIME DECISION. Hayward is QUESTIONABLE

Same story, just the names change every night. Why can't we get moderately healthy?

That Magic team other than Dwight is absolutely putrid, Rose has the clearly better supporting cast.

Same story, just the names change every night. Why can't we get moderately healthy?

Millsap was like second only to Al last week in minutes played this season, Okur is coming off a devastating injury, Elson and Bell are like a million years old. Price being out so long is bad luck, but he kind of sucks anyway so it's a huge loss.

edit 2: Al is not first in minutes played this year, Monta and LMA are which should be expected. Still, Al and Millsap have played tons of minutes this year and Millsap getting hurt with those insane minutes shouldn't be unexpected.

J2 Cool

PG Watson
SG Bogans
SF Deng
PF Boozer/Taj
C Noah/Taj (since we're doing it hypothetically and Bulls didn't have one of them this yr)

Bench: Asik, Kurt Thomas, Korver, Brewer,

VS

PG Jameer
SG J Richardson
SF Turkoglu
PF Bass
C Anderson

Bench: Arenas, Redick, Duhon, Q Richardson

Still don't know where the Bulls get their offense. At least the Magic will score, if they're not exactly a good team. The Magic still make it in the East, they wouldn't be 10 under. Not sure about Bulls. If Boozer and Noah had this year's injury time, 5-10 games under seems likely.

Btw, I haven't sat and looked at the Magic's bench in awhile. What's the verdict on the trade, this long after? Good move, bad move, or it didn't make a damn bit of difference? Feels like the latter, can't imagine any team saying they wish they had Vince back. Personally, I'm really disappointed in Arenas, that was my last hurrah hoping for a revival.

J2 Cool said:
Good move, bad move, or it didn't make a damn bit of difference? Feels like the latter,

I haven't seen every Magic game but seems like a wash to me, they didn't get better and they didn't get much worse.

The coaching and management of that team is atrocious.

Just because the Magic's players are highly paid and have recognizable names doesn't mean they're good. Gilbert is the second worst player out of all of the guys listed.

edit: Third, I didn't see Duhon at first.

J2 Cool

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Just because the Magic's players are highly paid and have recognizable names doesn't mean they're good

I never said good, I said I feel like they could be better than 10 games under .500, which is Indiana at the 8th spot right now.

J2 Cool said:
His stats are what they are. Doesn't matter to people that watched the Bulls for most of the year. The Bulls have moved to the brink of an elite team on his back, with Boozer/Noah barely on the court together most of the year.

They have wins against every major team: Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Magic, Heat, Mavericks. (where he has had some of his best games/moments) The Bulls defense and rebounding is great, but so was the Bobcats last year and many teams before them. You aren't getting a #2 seed with just a great defense. The offensive load falls on Rose's shoulders. There hasn't been a single other consistent offensive threat on the Bulls since the season started. If the team doesn't get going, it's his fault. If he doesn't play the team's going to fall off pretty dramatically, and knowing this, he's played through a stomach ulcer, wrist injury, knee, and hip, missing only 1 game.

His numbers have gone up in every category (+2.5 assists, +4.5pts, +10% ft, +.5 steals, 3p %, etc.) except fg% (44%), and his defense improved dramatically, almost overlooked at this point. Not making a bid for him for most improved player (though he has one), but his ascension has gone parallel with the Bulls success. He's simply the unequivocal leader of the Bulls, and has excited Bulls fans to a degree they haven't been since MJ left. This for the team with the 2nd best home record in the NBA.

I'm not saying he's a shoe-in, but he's as legitimate an MVP as there is this year. Dwight Howard's a great player, but the Magic are outperforming the Bulls with him and Rose off the court - despite having a career year in numbers. At least I can understand a case for him. Lebron, the Heat might be better some games with him off the court despite any numbers you throw at me. I've watched the games, which means a lot more than "Check My Stat" shirts. And yes I'm biased against him.

You're correct, someone has to score the points and I've never said Rose isn't an important piece. The stats, as you've indicated, have shown that Rose has improved in certain areas. But his usage % has gone up and his efficiency has suffered a bit, he's getting more assists but his turnover % has also risen. The numbers indicate that he is still largely an inefficient perimeter player who doesn't match the offensive output of past MVPs. The Bulls aren't even in the top half of the league in offensive rating. The Cavs were 6th last year due to LeBron, and that was a team without a single other player who could consistently create their own shot. Would you say Rose is a hands down Top 5 player and the best at his position? I feel he isn't in either category. I'm not saying he's isn't going to win, I think it's all but assured at this point. Dwight doesn't have enough wins, Dirk missed too many games and everyone hates LeBron anyway.

J2 Cool said:
Still don't know where the Bulls get their offense. At least the Magic will score, if they're not exactly a good team. The Magic still make it in the East, they wouldn't be 10 under. Not sure about Bulls. If Boozer and Noah had this year's injury time, 5-10 games under seems likely.

Btw, I haven't sat and looked at the Magic's bench in awhile. What's the verdict on the trade, this long after? Good move, bad move, or it didn't make a damn bit of difference? Feels like the latter, can't imagine any team saying they wish they had Vince back. Personally, I'm really disappointed in Arenas, that was my last hurrah hoping for a revival.

The lack of a true backup center is what has hurt the Magic the most. Dwight has to essentially play an immaculate game for the team to do well. He has to shutdown the paint and block shots while also staying out of foul trouble, there's also the fact he's the most fouled player in the league on the other end of the floor. Secondary to that, people overlook that the team has suffered injuries. Gilbert's literally shooting off one leg and should really shut it down the rest of the year. Hedo's back has been giving him issues, Bass is just now regaining form after coming off a bad ankle sprain and Redick might have a sports hernia that would require surgery.

The trade was necessary. The chemistry was dead, pretty much everyone hated Wince for being a wimpy loser and Roidshard had fallen off dramatically; the fact the his knee is apparently fucked doesn't surprise me at all. Gilbert's shooting has been historically bad but he still runs and can set up others, Shard is a poor man's Channing Frye at this point. The offense had also completely stalled, the team was last in the league in fastbreak points pre-trade. Moreover, moving Shard opened up room for Bass and Anderson to flourish. People like to harp on the lack of perimeter defense, but I think it's kind of misplaced. J-Rich isn't a defender, but are you to tell me that Wince was any better? Pietrus had devolved into a foul machine who dreamed of being the next James Jones, he also struggled to find minutes in the rotation. Also the fewer minutes Chris Dudu gets the better. The Magic should just cut him at this point.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Red Blaster said:
Would you say Rose is a hands down Top 5 player and the best at his position? I feel he isn't in either category.

Whoa whoa whoa, I can completely understand if people don't want and don't think Rose deserves MVP, but he is definitely top 5 in his position. The only people I have that could arguably be above him are CP3, Deron, and MAYBE Rondo and Russ.

diehard

Fleer
SephCast said:
Whoa whoa whoa, I can completely understand if people don't want and don't think Rose deserves MVP, but he is definitely top 5 in his position. The only people I have that could arguably be above him are CP3, Deron, and MAYBE Rondo and Russ.
In no way can Rondo be argued AT ALL being better than Rose. That is seriously retarded. I don't think Westbrook does a single thing better either besides get to the line.

You're going complete anti-homer on this one.

SephCast said:

Top 5 overall is what I meant. Rose is definitely a Top 5 PG.

SephCast said:

Many of those players have deficiencies.

I'd take Rose over any of them.

Unless you want a prototypical pointguard that just facilitates.

At least I'd take him over Rondo and Westbrook for sure.

Rose doesn't have any glaring flaws anymore. The only thing he needs to work on is taking care of the ball better and not always being in no-man's land in the air looking for teammates.

I wouldn't say he's your textbook pg but the way he changes games, I would in fact rather have him than any of those guys and that's not any offense to them at all.

Jeff-DSA

Rose's main deficiency is his shot selection. It's very common to see him go out and have a 7 for 24 night. If he can limit those really bad shooting nights, he's gotta be in the talk for best PG in the league. Unfortunately, he has lots of those nights.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I'm not saying that I personally take those guys over Rose, but I could see why people would say they were better.

And I'm glad to see that you agree that Rose is a top 5 PG. As for top 5 player, I would contend that he's about as good as Dwyane Wade right now.

Jeff-DSA said:
Rose's main deficiency is his shot selection. It's very common to see him go out and have a 7 for 24 night. If he can limit those really bad shooting nights, he's gotta be in the talk for best PG in the league. Unfortunately, he has lots of those nights.

The thing is, he doesn't take that many brainless shots though he sometimes goes on "feel".

Then again, I am used to seeing Cj Watson, who makes Rose seem liek the smartest player of all time in comparison.

Every star player(guard-type) has bad shooting nights and some many, they still affect the game in other respects.

Bad shooting percentage=/=bad game

At least for me.

Rose taking bad shots doesn't matter that much for this Bulls team since he's the only offense most of the time. His ability to score without help allows the Bulls to surround him with great defenders and he's only inefficient because he's the entire offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom