• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Has anybody heard about this guy Ricky Rubio?
Tuesday's Internet headlines out of Spain again suggested Ricky Rubio's arrival in the NBA very well could be further delayed, but Timberwolves basketball boss David Kahn maintains -- as he has for months -- that he expects the 20-year-old point guard to play in Minnesota next season.
The Wolves sent three representatives to Europe to visit Rubio and his family in February and Kahn plans a May trip to Barcelona.

Wolves forward Kevin Love also has struck up a relationship with Rubio, whom he met in August when his USA World Championship team played Rubio and the Spanish national team in an exhibition game in Madrid.
"The sooner he gets over here, the quicker he's going to adapt and the better he's going to get," Love said. "He has had a lot of hype surrounding him. It'll mean a lot for the fans. It'll make the game more exciting. By the way he was talking about it, he does want to come over here and I do think he'll play for our team.
Wolves are banking that he'll want to sign his NBA deal under this CBA and take #5 pick money rather than wait and see what the next CBA entails. Yeah, OK.

Rodeo Clown said:
Has anybody heard about this guy Ricky Rubio?

Wolves are banking that he'll want to sign his NBA deal under this CBA and take #5 pick money rather than wait and see what the next CBA entails. Yeah, OK.

Getting him for the 2012-2013 season will be like having a draft pick for 2012, it's not all bad.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Getting him for the 2012-2013 season will be like having a draft pick for 2012, it's not all bad.

Dell_Curry_Stephen_Curry.jpg

Yes it is.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sho_Nuff82 said:
That's probably the most eloquent piece of writing I've ever seen from a professional athlete.

Hill is right, guys need to really, really think before half-heartedly throwing out terms like "sell-out" and "Uncle Tom", especially if they don't appreciate the weight behind them. Having two parents (that you know) and being middle class is nothing to be ashamed of.
Booshka said:
Wow, that was quite a response, well written and thought out. The same can't be said for Jalen trying to fumble out his opinion on First Take the last few days.
Indeed. The last sentence was pure ether, though.

numble

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Except you have to pay a lot more than you pay rookies. Most teams try to use the pay scale to their advantage by making lots of money early on cheap rookies.

Rodeo Clown

numble said:
Except you have to pay a lot more than you pay rookies. Most teams try to use the pay scale to their advantage by making lots of money early on cheap rookies.
Considering Wolves owner Glen Taylor is chairman of the board of governors, it doesn't seem like a good bet to think that the loophole that would allow Rubio to dodge a rookie deal will still be present in the next CBA.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Fucking burn lol. I've always been a fan of Grant Hill, the guy is pure class. I would have loved to have seen him and Penny Hardaway without injuries :(

PS

Pre-Injury Penny >> Kobe :)

Rodeo Clown

The M.O.B said:
No picks today?
Good catch. I almost forgot. I'll have the results for February and last week in a bit.

Slate for March 16, 2011.

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State
Philadelphia @ LA Clippers

---

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

dream

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

ToxicAdam

reilo said:

Jalen's just representing what was the reality of that time. White fans gravitated towards Duke and what they perceived those teams represented and black fans gravitated towards the Fab Five for obvious reasons.

This was also during a time where racial tensions were at a high with the Rodney King beatings. Not to mention the rebirth of the 'black pride' movement that was running through the music of that time. So, it just further glavanized this idea of 'us' versus 'them' for some people.

That's not to excuse Jalen. He probably should've dropped that shit as he grew up, but I can totally see why he still has that mindset. Because it was real.

numble

On my previous point of teams making money off of cheap rookies, Kobe was paid a total of 3.4 million for his first 3 years, Dwyane Wade was paid a total of about $8.5 million for his first 3 years.
Rodeo Clown said:
Considering Wolves owner Glen Taylor is chairman of the board of governors, it doesn't seem like a good bet to think that the loophole that would allow Rubio to dodge a rookie deal will still be present in the next CBA.
If he's going to be always stuck on a rookie deal forever, wouldn't Euro salaries always be more money for him?

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

Would be nice if Dallas lost, of course.

Jeff-DSA

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah BELIEVE
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

Mothman91

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

Rodeo Clown

numble said:
If he's going to be always stuck on a rookie deal forever, wouldn't Euro salaries always be more money for him?
Rubio, like most of the Euroleague, doesn't make a ton over there and he plays for a team that's considered a spender. ~800K Euros last year, a little less than a million this year, If I remember right.

A rookie deal for the #5 pick is a baseline of $2.9M year one, $3.2M year 2, and the Wolves always give 120% of a rookie deal.

numble

Rodeo Clown said:
Rubio, like most of the Euroleague, doesn't make a ton over there and he plays for a team that's considered a spender. ~800K Euros last year, a little less than a million this year, If I remember right.

A rookie deal for the #5 pick is a baseline of $2.9M year one, $3.2M year 2, and the Wolves always give 120% of a rookie deal.
Oh, I always thought deals like the one for Josh Childress was the norm.

KingGondo

Banned
Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

I actually feel pretty good about the game against Miami. We have the length to bother them and clamp down as long as we keep them in a half-court game, and our offense hasn't suffered at all since Green and Krstic left despite predictions to the contrary. Hopefully Perk will help us bring that fearless road mentality that the Czzzz are (were) known for and we can get over the hump against a good squad. If our bench plays well, it'll be really tough for the Heat to keep up with us. It's time for Harden to step up in a game that counts, and I predict he will.

I would also love to see Perk get significant minutes guarding Bosh. Fake tough guy vs. real tough guy... FIGHT.

Doc Holliday said:
Fucking burn lol. I've always been a fan of Grant Hill, the guy is pure class. I would have loved to have seen him and Penny Hardaway without injuries :(

PS

Pre-Injury Penny >> Kobe :)

Muppet Kobe would shit on Lil Penny

KingGondo

Banned
numble said:
Why would a center guard a small forward?
First, Bosh is a "P"F. Second, I could see it happening in some lineups.

I guess I really just want to see Perk lay down some hard fouls and protect the paint. If Bosh comes near the basket, he'll have Perk/Mohammed/Ibaka/Collison coming at him.

The game two nights ago against Washington was a scrimmage, this will be the real deal. Excited.

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

Tough picks tonight. Any night when you pick the Wolves, Raptors, Kings and Clippers you feel lucky going .500 on the evening.

ToxicAdam said:
Jalen's just representing what was the reality of that time. White fans gravitated towards Duke and what they perceived those teams represented and black fans gravitated towards the Fab Five for obvious reasons.

This was also during a time where racial tensions were at a high with the Rodney King beatings. Not to mention the rebirth of the 'black pride' movement that was running through the music of that time. So, it just further glavanized this idea of 'us' versus 'them' for some people.

That's not to excuse Jalen. He probably should've dropped that shit as he grew up, but I can totally see why he still has that mindset. Because it was real.

He meant it as an insult towards Duke, and ended up insulting the African American players themselves, several of whom he's friends with. It was a poor choice of words. If he'd said "Duke didn't take inner city kids and thugs back then" he would have probably been right and the message would have been clearer.

Spooks

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

dream

Sho_Nuff82 said:
He meant it as an insult towards Duke, and ended up insulting the African American players themselves, several of whom he's friends with. It was a poor choice of words. If he'd said "Duke didn't take inner city kids and thugs back then" he would have probably been right and the message would have been clearer.

Gotta wonder how Chris Webber feels about Rose's comments. Has he said anything?

SamuraiX-

I don't think I've ever seen so many people vote for the Kings in pick 'ems. Feel the love, people!

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

The Denver @ Atlanta game is the toss up game of the night. I'm giving it to Denver only because Atlanta player last night and the Nugs are gonna run them dry.

And if Boston loses this game against the Pacers at home, I would say it's time to start panicking because they dealt with the Pacers pretty easily in their first two meetings this season.

Rodeo Clown

February Pick'em results:

Those who participated in fewer than 2 weeks were discarded from these standings, but are still in the spreadsheet. The asterisk indicate when someone missed a week.

By wins:
5532466017_b9fe88a357.jpg

By winning percentage:
5532466035_130a8f41ca.jpg

Jeff-DSA

Gondo and I are always even in these pick things. I think we ended up with pretty much the same pick record for the NCAA football pick 'ems for the entire season.

DCX

DCX
Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

DCX

Booshka

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

reilo

ToxicAdam said:

That part of the documentary, when in context, has a lot more weight to it and more meaning to it than the rebuttal by Hill let on:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/26433/grant-hill-and-the-fab-five

I think Jalen's mistake was not knowing how to use air quotes. I agree with TA. I understand where Jalen comes from, but he needs to preface that "Uncle Tom" statement better.

The M.O.B

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

etiolate

Banned
Bill Cosby allowing Chris Webber to appear near a young Denise Huxtable would have been a PSA for all fathers across the nation.
7:05 PM Mar 13th via web

diehard

Fleer
Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

I find it funny Hill didn't mention Boozer in his list of players that didn't sell out.

Nabs

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

reilo

Here is a thought... what if Alexandra Wallace is GhostofGraceKelly?

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State

Jamesfrom818 said:
I miss Bill Walton commentary.

If you mean in games, he was the best.

If you mean elsewhere, he was likely the best.

None of that shitty dry political correct Hubie Brown bullshit and none of the cringeworthiness of Van Gundy and Mark Jackson.

Well, cringeworthiness only if you don't know how to party!!!!

"TERRIBLE CALL"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom