• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven years ago, former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer, and the ensuing aftermath will change the way you feel about several NBA types significantly.

Up until Tuesday afternoon, the only functional knowledge I had of former Los Angeles Clippers head coach Kim Hughes was that he was, in fact, a former Los Angeles Clippers head coach, and that he once touched his elbows on the rim in a lay-up line at a high school tournament in Illinois, which really impressed my father.

Beyond that, nothing. Until Tuesday afternoon, when Howard Beck brought this column to Trey Kerby's attention, and he brought it to our attention. And now we're passing the feel-good savings on to you, in the form of an anecdote that reveals that NBA players Corey Maggette, Marko Jaric, Chris Kaman and Elton Brand all chipped in to pay for expensive life-saving surgery for Hughes, after the Clippers organization (read: Donald Sterling, noted worst person in the world) declined to cover the costs of a surgery that would save their employee's life...
All this while playing rent-free in an often sold-out arena in America's second-biggest television market. Unyieldingly evil.

got to love donald sterling

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Omiee said:
man being basketball fan and living in LA is awesome, i dont get it why they dont have a nfl team yet.
Because the LA Coliseum is ancient and wasn't even up to NFL standards 20 years ago.

Omiee said:
man being basketball fan and living in LA is awesome, i dont get it why they dont have a nfl team yet.

Irwindale tried to keep Raiders in town and Davis LOL at them.

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento
Dallas @ Golden State
Philadelphia @ LA Clippers

dream said:
"We would never do anything to jeopardize our chance of winning right now."
-Danny Ainge

*snicker*

Lakers/Bulls Finals confirmed.

Fixed.

Fuck it:

Denver @ Atlanta
Toronto @ Detroit
Indiana @ Boston
Orlando @ Milwaukee
Oklahoma City @ Miami
Phoenix @ New Orleans
Charlotte @ Houston
Minnesota @ Utah
Cleveland @ Sacramento - Unwatchable.
Dallas @ Golden State
Philadelphia @ LA Clippers

Booshka

Omiee said:
shit's expensive, and we don't have an arena. Farmer's Field would be the new stadium if the proposed plan actually comes to fruition.

Need a team too. That's all I know though, don't really care either, NFL thread probably knows the details.

Clippers didn't routinely sell out until this season. That's all Griffin.

Not trying to hate. But the Clippers for years have tried to give me free tickets to games against sub par teams just so I'd buy a beer and hot dog.

dream

Black Mamba said:
Clippers didn't routinely sell out until this season. That's all Griffin.

Not trying to hate. But the Clippers for years have tried to give me free tickets to games against sub par teams just so I'd buy a beer and hot dog.

clippers.png

I don't even care what the team is...$10 tickets sound good to me.

dream

Boombloxer said:
But you like the Clips. L.A. is a Lakers town.

$10 tickets before Griffin might as well have been toilet paper.

I dunno, it seems like it would be a nice night out for a middle class family.

Awesome, the Pacers are blowing out the Celtics.

Devin Harris and Gordon Hayward playing tonight, be scared, Minnesota.

I dunno, it seems like it would be a nice night out for a middle class family.

Awesome, the Pacers are blowing out the Celtics.

As Amar'e and Melo showed, it's hard to outplay Psycho T and Granger.

dream said:
clippers.png

I don't even care what the team is...$10 tickets sound good to me.

Hey, I've been to Clipper games. In a lot of ways, it's the only way I can get to see certain teams with good seats. It's how I saw Melo and prime KG up close.

But they offered me free tickets to see like Clips-Wolves last year. Yeah, I'm not spending money to go down there to sit in the 300s to watch a Clippers-Wolves game (sorry Rodeo). The point is they figure people will come and buy beers and stuff, where they make a fortune off of it. I'd rather watch from my TV in this scenario.

Sure, if they offered heat tickets right now, I'd go. Or if it was in the 100s.

dream said:
How much are beers and hot dogs at Staples?

I believe a beer is $9 domestic, $11 import. I've never bought a dog, but I figure around $5.50.

The McDonalds there is like $8-10 for a full value meal or something ridiculous.

I wonder if prices have gone up, haven't been since the '09 Finals.

I did, however, once eat at the buffet restaurant thing which was $40 a plate. It was cool for a one time thing to watch players warming up and stuff well before game time, and the food was good (sorta vegas style like Bellagio), but I wouldn't pay that price again.

Anyway, before I go to a Clippers or Lakers game, I eat somewhere else first. Or afterwards you can go to yardhouse or something right next door.

edit: the prices for Clips games food/drink wise are the same. Kind of funny.

Man, Andrea Bargnani is a terrible basketball player. I'm really glad of this tonight.

edit: ESPN called Gordon Hayward the worst defender on the Jazz, oh man, they slay me.

Black Mamba said:
I believe a beer is $9 domestic, $11 import. I've never bought a dog, but I figure around $5.50.

The McDonalds there is like $8-10 for a full value meal or something ridiculous.

I wonder if prices have gone up, haven't been since the '09 Finals.

I did, however, once eat at the buffet restaurant thing which was $40 a plate. It was cool for a one time thing to watch players warming up and stuff well before game time, and the food was good (sorta vegas style like Bellagio), but I wouldn't pay that price again.

Anyway, before I go to a Clippers or Lakers game, I eat somewhere else first. Or afterwards you can go to yardhouse or something right next door.

edit: the prices for Clips games food/drink wise are the same. Kind of funny.

I did the last time I went to staples..Went to see a King game and they had deals were Drink and Popcorn was 6.50 each but it was unlimited. After each period we get a refill

I guess the upside for the Heat during this stretch against +.500 teams is that they're playing so many consecutive home games. But that's not going to happen in the playoffs.

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
If the Maloofs choose to use the name Los Angeles Royals instead of Anaheim Royals, that would be the final FU to Sacramento.

Pretty sure having a 2nd team named the "Kings" with black and purple colors in Southern California would be stupid. I don't think it's anything personal.

SamuraiX-

Shouldn't the Oklahoma City @ Miami be a free throw parade?

I'm really surprised there has only been a combined total of 3 attempted free throws half way through the 1st quarter.

Booshka

SamuraiX- said:

I'm really surprised there has only been a combined total of 3 attempted free throws half way through the 1st quarter.
I'm sure it will be later when the players aren't as explosive, and can't finish at the rim as well. Defense will start fouling each other on fastbreak dunks/layups as well.

Booshka said:
Fastbreak game confirmed

EDIT: Los Angeles Royals of Anaheim would be the proper name.

That's a mouthful. Also, why don't they just use Anaheim Royals instead? So they could get all of the perks of having the LA name attached to their team?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
LA Fans, do you guys think that the Kings have a chance at actually being financially successful as a third team in the market? Is Anaheim distinct enough for them to flourish there?

giri

SamuraiX- said:

I"m wondering if OKC Miami will set a FT recrod. You could see 100FT's tonight, in the first half alone!

SephCast said:
LA Fans, do you guys think that the Kings have a chance at actually being financially successful as a third team in the market? Is Anaheim distinct enough for them to flourish there?

OC/SD fans wont have to go so far to watch a game...Still be in same division as Lakers. I think they could be successful

Booshka

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
That's a mouthful. Also, why don't they just use Anaheim Royals instead? So they could get all of the perks of having the LA name attached to their team?
I was just joking with the name because that is what the Angels are called. Some dispute with ownership or where the team was created. So, they call them the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

I don't see why it wouldn't be Anaheim Royals, if they are trying to separate themselves from the other LA NBA teams, they wouldn't want that in there. There is enough OC pride for the team to have its own following since OC people like to trash on LA anyway.

SephCast said:

They should move down here to San Diego.

SephCast said:

I think so, but I'm just going off of purely anecdotal evidence from people I know, but OC/Anaheim people really have their own identity. I don't know how well the Ducks and Angels do financially, but a lot of their fans hate LA and the mainstream LA teams (namely Lakers/Dodgers) and don't really like being associated with them. Kings have a chance to carve their own niche IMO.

SamuraiX-

SephCast said:

The Honda Center is 40 minutes away from Staples.

I think most people would prefer to drive the extra distance to watch the Lakers/Blake Griffin.

Fuck the Maloofs. I hope they get fucked over so hard by this and end up bankrupt to the point where nobody will ever remember they existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom