• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
marathonfool said:
This is the NBA, not the NFL. Whatever you heard about the 80's and 90's basketball is a myth. Hand checking and forearms in the back had more to do with the physical style of play than cheap shots. At best, Bynum is reckless, at worst he's trying to injure players. I don't like players who injure other players on purpose.
bitch please, i grew up watching 80s brand basketball. that would just be 2 freethrows and move on. hell, hugging your opponent in the 80s was unheard of.
what are were you watching in the 80s? knicks basketball?

Man, could Kobe and Ron have played any worse and still not end up losing? I mean, those 2 did everything possibly to kill the team. I wish Gasol would be more vocal and demand the rock when he has it going like he did tonight.

Poor Rodeo. Even he knew they'd lose.

I wish Kobe sat this one out like I suggested. He accomplished nothing out there but make himself look foolish.

Bynum got mad after getting hacked last play with no call and he was visibly tired (Phil fucked the rotation up for some reason). He took out his frustration on Beasley coming at him. I don't think Bynum intended to hurt someone, but it was a clear flagrant 2, no doubt about it. He should have kept his hands up if he was frustrated and was gonna take it out on someone; you just don't lead with your elbow like that. Poor decision by him.

Based on past stuff like this, I don't think Bynum will be suspended, but I also won't complain if he is, either. Just gotta be more disciplined than that.

viakado said:
bitch please, i grew up watching 80s brand basketball. that would just be 2 freethrows and move on. hell, hugging your opponent in the 80s was unheard of.
Please. Players didn't do a forearm checks into the chest of air-borne players with any regularity. You know why there weren't ejections or 2FTs with the ball on flagrants in the 80's? Because the rules for it didn't fully exist until the 90-91 season. So take your 80's basketball history and study it properly before you pop off and look like a moron.

marathonfool said:
Please. Players didn't do a forearm checks into the chest of air-borne players with any regularity. You know why there weren't ejections or 2FTs with the ball on flagrants in the 80's? Because the rules for it didn't fully exist until the 90-91 season. So take your 80's basketball history and study it properly before you pop off and look like a moron.

he doesn't know what he's talking about

nothing new

Good night record wise with Chicago, Boston, and Dallas all losing.

Lakers have tie-breaker on Boston, too. Chicago has to lose a couple games against the West, they're ahead on the tie-breaker there right now.

I swear to god that stupid cleveland loss will cost them HCA.

Ok, I saw the foul and it was fairly bad.

I say minimum 1 game suspension for Bynum.

5 game suspension for Matt Barnes for not minding his own business and for acting "hardcore".

marathonfool said:
no shit sherlock. hand/forearm never resulted in an instant foul.
you can argue for the necessity of that rule, but you're pretty much promoting non-contact basketball as i would like to call the pussification of the nba. NBA brand basketball is so boring nowaways. i need more physical contact, i need more drama.

ph33nix said:
he doesn't know what he's talking about

nothing new
go pop some prozac.

viakado said:
if this was the 80s, that would just be 2 freethrows.
I just asked my Dad about 80s basketball and before, and he said that none of the hits were like that one. Sure there was physical play but not to that degree.

CoffeeJanitor said:
I just asked my Dad about 80s basketball and before, and he said that none of the hits were like that one. Sure there was physical play but not to that degree.

He must have missed Rodman throwing Pippen into the hoop base and countless other "fouls" like that.

Maybe that was somewhat later but the past had some really sketchy play.

Forget it, you are talking much earlier.

CoffeeJanitor said:
your dad is assuming plays like that were nonexistant?
that's a huge leap from my claim that it was more common back then

CoffeeJanitor said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ

But yeah, there weren't plays like that in the 80's too often, either. Guys got the ass knocked down onto the floor a lot more when they came into the paint, but those were body fouls or stretched out arms hacking, not elbows to the chest.

viakado said:
no shit sherlock. hand/forearm never resulted in an instant foul.
you can argue for the necessity of that rule, but you're pretty much promoting non-contact basketball as i would like to call the pussification of the nba. NBA brand basketball is so boring nowaways. i need more physical contact, i need more drama.
What you fail to understand is the vast gray area between non-contact and outright cheap shots that injure players. You didn't even know the rules of basketball in the 80s. Do me a favor, next time you go on the court, give a forearm shiver to an airborne player then call him a pussy when he complains. You get the physical contact and the drama, I'm sure it'll work out for you.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This thread is hilarious some times.

All I hear during the year is "lol in the 80's he would have knocked X Player on his ass for that one!" "In the 80's he would have known better then to drive the paint, least he wanted his shit pushed in!" "meh this era is pussified. That would have only been two freethrows in the 80's!" "No blood no foul! What a bunch of babies." "The 80's were the golden years!"

And then when a hard foul actually happens it suddenly turns into "OMFG I can't believe he did that! So dirty! He should be suspended! What an asshole! I'm crying right now!"

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

Personally, I'm more geared towards the new school, and I do believe fouls like that should be counted as a flagrant. Suspensions... I don't know. But definitely a flagrant.

Forceatowulf said:

All I hear during the year is "lol in the 80's he would have knocked X Player on his ass for that one!" "In the 80's he would have known better then to drive the paint, least he wanted his shit pushed in!" "meh this era is pussified. That would have only been two freethrows in the 80's!" "No blood no foul! What a bunch of babies." "The 80's were the golden years!"

And then when a hard foul actually happens it suddenly turns into "OMFG I can't believe he did that! So dirty! He should be suspended! What an asshole! I'm crying right now!"

Ninja Scooter said almost the same exact thing...

marathonfool said:
What you fail to understand is the vast gray area between non-contact and outright cheap shots that injure players. You didn't even know the rules of basketball in the 80s. Do me a favor, next time you go on the court, give a forearm shiver to an airborne player then call him a pussy when he complains. You get the physical contact and the drama, I'm sure it'll work out for you.
that's a bad illustration. because there's no freethrows/ejections in streetball. there's no streetball penalty for a hard foul other than take-out. try again.
the only gray area is hard contact and malice. not that hard to grasp.
and go ahead and keep insulting me though, this is fun. it almost feels like a hard check to the back.

Forceatowulf said:

Personally, I'm more geared towards the new school, and I do believe fouls like that should be counted as a flagrant. Suspensions... I don't know. But definitely a flagrant.
Again, the 80's had no more typical cheap shots than the 00's. You make the same mistake of equating cheap shots and flagrant fouls to physical play. You can still say you want it to be like the 80's where forearms and hand checking is allowed and still want the same penalties for flagrant fouls like the one Bynum committed. It's not either or.

People watch a couple of youtube clips of hard fouls from the 80's start to think it's like that on every possession. It's simply not true. Players were willing to give up fouls because less fouls were called on them unlike today.

viakado said:
that's a bad illustration. because there's no freethrows/ejections in streetball. there's no streetball penalty for a hard foul other than take-out. try again.
the only gray area is hard contact and malice. not that hard to grasp.
and go ahead and keep insulting me though, this is fun. it almost feels like a hard check to the back.
It wasn't an illustration. It was practical advice for physicality and drama. My first response already said everything I needed to say.

loved the foul!!! He'll get a game though. Wish he did it to a more established team and player. Put the West on notice that the playoffs go through them.

Good foul. No dunk-ons and posters over here.

For all the hype Dwight gets about his body, Andrew is bigger than him.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I would think good play would do that much more effectively but that's me...
NBA players around the league are scared of Bynum now because of this one play instead of the multitude of AND1's Bynum has allowed in his career.

marathonfool said:
It wasn't an illustration. It was practical advice for physicality and drama. My first response already said everything I needed to say.
illustration or advice to prove a point. there's a fallacy in your argument. there's no penalty for a hard foul. i'd foul you to the ground. you'd get up real quick and stare at each other down until we reach the point we get so close we either fight or make out.
again, tell me why i should go play basketball and give someone a hard foul?
Stern has enforced a very laxed flagrant 1 and two and obliterated hand checks. that my friend is boring basketball. what the nba needs is more hard fouls with no malice involved.
come at me bro.

Blackface

Banned
viakado said:

Even the 90's was 10 times more brutal then the current pussy ball being played now.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I would think good play would do that much more effectively but that's me...

They are already doing .900 basketball since AS Break. No lay ups.

But realistically, it was a careless foul and Beas couldve broke his back.

Blackface said:
Even the 90's was 10 times more brutal then the current pussy ball being played now.
this is the first time i am agreeing with you blackface.
keep coming at me with your revisionist history of the 80s, marathonfool.
its laugh at loud funny.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
marathonfool said:
Again, the 80's had no more typical cheap shots than the 00's. You make the same mistake of equating cheap shots and flagrant fouls to physical play. You can still say you want it to be like the 80's where forearms and hand checking is allowed and still want the same penalties for flagrant fouls like the one Bynum committed. It's not either or.

People watch a couple of youtube clips of hard fouls from the 80's start to think it's like that on every possession. It's simply not true. Players were willing to give up fouls because less fouls were called on them unlike today.

I didnt even read the rest. i stopped right there. you have no idea what your talking about

Forceatowulf said:

Hard foul =! cheap shot

viakado said:
illustration or advice to prove a point. there's a fallacy in your argument. there's no penalty for a hard foul. i'd foul you to the ground. you'd get up real quick and stare at each other down until we reach the point we get so close we either fight or make out.
again, tell me why i should go play basketball and give someone a hard foul?
Here's your answer
viakado said:
NBA brand basketball is so boring nowaways. i need more physical contact, i need more drama.

viakado said:
Stern has enforced a very laxed flagrant 1 and two and obliterated hand checks. that my friend is boring basketball. what the nba needs is more hard fouls with no malice involved.
come at me bro.
You see, you actually think we're far apart when we're actually closer in thinking. I hate Durantics. I hate Westbrook driving out of control, initiating contact, throwing up a wild shot and getting reward with free throws. Or Kevin Martin falling to the ground every time someone breathes on him. I want hand checking back. I want forearms in the back.

I DON'T want fouls like Bynum. The 80's brand of basketball is physical because hand checking and forearms were legal. Less fouls were called and players were more willing to give fouls at the rim. Today, you see Dwight Howard backing off because he's afraid of picking up his 3rd foul in the 2nd quarter. What Bynum did was cross the line between a good hard foul and a dangerous foul which can injure a player.

I watched the 89-90 Finals series again between the Bad Boys and the Blazers recently. I don't recall a foul like Bynum committed by either team. The Bad Boys, the symbol of hard nose tough 80's basketball, didn't do what Bynum did in the biggest basketball stage. There were plenty of hard fouls and physical play. It wasn't because of cheap shots, it was because of players allowed to touch each other while moving.

viakado said:
one game.
did you see lamar's facial reaction as beasley got up?
bitch was ready to throw down.

I loved that. Even though I disagree with Bynum's foul, the fact that Lamar doesn't back down is great.

Almost as good as when he patted KG on the ass and KG flipped out but eventually chilled out when he realized Lamar is not to be fucked with.

marathonfool said:
Here's your answer

You see, you actually think we're far apart when we're actually closer in thinking. I hate Durantics. I hate Westbrook driving out of control, initiating contact, throwing up a wild shot and getting reward with free throws. Or Kevin Martin falling to the ground every time someone breathes on him. I want hand checking back. I want forearms in the back.

I DON'T want fouls like Bynum. The 80's brand of basketball is physical because hand checking and forearms were legal. Less fouls were called and players were more willing to give fouls at the rim. Today, you see Dwight Howard backing off because he's afraid of picking up his 3rd foul in the 2nd quarter. What Bynum did was cross the line between a good hard foul and a dangerous foul which can injure a player.

I watched the 89-90 Finals series again between the Bad Boys and the Blazers recently. I don't recall a foul like Bynum committed by either team. The Bad Boys, the symbol of hard nose tough 80's basketball, didn't do what Bynum did in the biggest basketball stage. There were plenty of hard fouls and physical play. It wasn't because of cheap shots, it was because of players allowed to touch each other while moving.

me said:
But yeah, there weren't plays like that in the 80's too often, either. Guys got the ass knocked down onto the floor a lot more when they came into the paint, but those were body fouls or stretched out arms hacking, not elbows to the chest.

Not sure why people here think 80s style was bruiser ball. People did not routinely foul like Bynum did there.

Hand checking. Boxing out had way more contact. Off the ball you'd have body elbows and knee to the thighs and stuff. And if someone was scoring in the paint too much you'd body them up on your foul, but they were rarely fouls that could actually hurt someone, it would just make them think twice before coming to the lane.

It was more physical, but it wasn't risky.

linsivvi

Blackface said:

Personally, I blame the influx of European players. As a Raptors fan, I am sure you know about it a lot better than most of us.

Tom Penny said:
Shocking. Bynum tried to injure another player like when layed out Gerald Wallace.

Bynum didn't try to injure Gerald Wallace. He was late on his rotation and tried to block a shot but realized it was too late. The result was a bad foul. The same thing happened here. Bynum is so big that it can cause injuries. He needs to learn to wrap the dude up. In fact, I'm pretty sure he went to apologize and accompany Gerald Wallace to the ambulance.

He fucked up. Let's just hope he learns from his mistake.

KS Seven X said:
Bynum didn't try to injure Gerald Wallace. He was late on his rotation and tried to block a shot but realized it was too late. The result was a bad foul. The same thing happened here.

I don't know about the Wallace one but this one wasn't what anyone could construe as being late on rotation or even a hard foul, it was malicious and done with purpose.

Basically, a cheapshot.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I don't know about the Wallace one but this one wasn't what anyone could construe as being late on rotation or even a hard foul, it was malicious and done with purpose.

Basically, a cheapshot.

It looks the same as the Gerald one but he had his elbow out. Bynum fucked up and should get suspended. That's just the way I saw it knowing that he's not the type of dude to hurt anyone on purpose.

KingGondo

Banned
Definitely the worst foul I've seen this season.

I'm calling a 2-game suspension. No intent to go for the ball, elbow in the chest at full speed?

I just saw the play, dude could've broken his elbow.

Stern should send a message, 5 game suspension at least.
Yea bynum should be suspended even though he probably didnt mean to it couldve been career ending for beasley
Hell yeah he meant it.

there are other ways to do a hard foul besides shoving a dude in mid air

that's not 80s shit. that's straight up goon. magloire wouldn't e.....ok maybe he would

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom