• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ph33nix said:
of course you would
Wooh. What an awesome counter-argument, guy!

thekad said:
Except the Heat aren't going to get embarrassed in the first round by a lower seeded team.
One win separated those two teams and I said before the season began that the Rockets were Portland's worst match-up?

Wait, was that a troll attempt? bwahahah.

Gigglepoo

reilo said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the 2009 54-win Blazers was a better team than the 2011 Heat despite the better record for the Heat at similar points.

And last year's Cavs team is better than both.

reilo

Gigglepoo said:
And last year's Cavs team is better than both.
Agreed. Despite the talent discrepancy, they were much more balanced and had far better chemistry.
thekad said:
Heat fans won't need to make such poor excuses.
The Heat don't want to face the Sixers right now.

reilo said:
Wooh. What an awesome counter-argument, guy!

One win separated those two teams and I said before the season began that the Rockets were Portland's worst match-up?

Wait, was that a troll attempt? bwahahah.

who said i was attempting a counter argument? not everybody is out for you all the time. you can hold my hand if you need to though

reilo

ph33nix said:
who said i was attempting a counter argument? not everybody is out for you all the time. you can hold my hand if you need to though
So why bother replying? If you disagree, state why.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
etiolate said:
That or that the Maloofs can't get a bailout sort of deal from Anahiem and thus cant afford the move.
Damn, I'm sorry. I can only remember one time the league blocked a move (the Wolves to New Orleans). Why don't the Maloofs sell the team?

reilo

Rodeo Clown said:
Damn, I'm sorry. I can only remember one time the league blocked a move (the Wolves to New Orleans). Why don't the Maloofs sell the team?
Because a) nobody wants to buy it for the outrageous price they would ask for the team and b) they still think they can make money off of it.

etiolate

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:

They may plan to after the move. There are some people who theorize that the move is just to up market value and then turn the team over to someone else.

I am sure if offered to buy the team, the city would be interested, but it would be at a lower price.

reilo

The panelists began discussing specific examples of players who failed to reach their potential while offering thoughts on why. Morey instantly thought of Marcus Banks. Drafted early in the first round, Banks was supposed to be the Celtics’ point guard of the future. With Celtics GM Danny Ainge known for making good draft choices, it seemed odd that he would miss so badly on a potential franchise cornerstone. Morey offered this anecdote from a pre-draft interview with Banks as a reason:

(paraphrased)

MOREY

What do you really want to do with your life?

BANKS

Be a male fashion model.

Apparently, Ainge did not get the memo. What he saw was a lightening fast point guard who was built like a running back. However, without this intense focus on basketball, Banks is currently not playing while finishing out the last year of his contract and is not likely to get another one in the NBA.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/po...undamental-questions-about-player-development

Oh.

My god.

reilo

Rodeo Clown said:
NBA players' favorite food in London: McDonalds.

C'mon, guys.
I think Mickey D's overseas is not the same as Mickey D's in US.

Blackface

Banned
http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ed_As_Antithesis_To_Gladwells_10k_Hour_Theory

At the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on Friday, there was a panel moderated by Malcolm Gladwell that focused on his 10,000 hours theory.

The panel featured Jeff Van Gundy and Daryl Morey and they talked about the concept of 'natural talent' and the need to still cultivate it with practice.

“Tracy McGrady was 1,000 hours of practice,” Van Gundy said to laughter from the audience. “He should be a Hall of Fame player. His talent was other-worldly. He was given a great leg up in the race against other players. He’s as close as I’ve ever seen to someone with a perfect body and a good mind.”

“McGrady was the most gifted player I’ve ever had on the roster," said Morey. "I do think [his talent] got in the way of Tracy’s development. Much of the game was so, so easy — and you see this in the AAU level, where they have freakishly talented players. When it’s that easy to dominate at that young age, because of your physical tools — his wing span was freakish, his size was enormous, his IQ. But my sense was that all of that did get in the way of Tracy reaching his highest heights.”

Poor T-Mac. But it wasn’t over, yet. Van Gundy came back to McGrady later: “I like a lot of things about Tracy McGrady. I just wish I could have changed his practice habits and his mentality.”

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...is_To_Gladwells_10k_Hour_Theory#ixzz1Ff8iVwiB

Rodeo Clown said:

C'mon, guys.

I heard DeRozan on the radio saying he thought the Raptors would have a home court advantage because they have the most Europeans.

Yes, that's how England works. They really identify with whoever has the most Italians & Spaniards.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I heard DeRozan on the radio saying he thought the Raptors would have a home court advantage because they have the most Europeans.

Yes, that's how England works. They really identify with whoever has the most Italians & Spaniards.

Fans from Spain and Italy flew to England to see Calderon and Bargs, much cheaper to go to the England game then to fly to Toronto :p

LOL @ Raps and Nets getting huge introductions

Bargs and Calderon got pretty big applause

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Branduil said:
It's pretty hilarious how multi-millionaires still eat at McDonald's.
That, and take in some local cuisine, guys. You're embarassing me.

And Sekou Smith also noted that the players liked that there was a Starbucks on seemingly every corner like back home.

dream

At least the UK gets a game that counts. The last game I got here was some pre-season bullshit between the Nuggets and the Raptors.

Melo went off for 15 points. :/

dream said:
At least the UK gets a game that counts. The last game I got here was some pre-season bullshit between the Nuggets and the Raptors.

Melo went off for 15 points. :/
Where does Clippers Fan dream hail from?

reilo said:
Wait, you mean when I argued that Lebron made his teammates worse with the way he plays, I was right? Awesome.

Or it could be that he makes crappy teammates better but overrides the impact of really good ones.

It's just amazing how 3 significantly better teammates to Lebron/Z in Miami are having no added impact on offense. His style of play is so restrictive if you're a good player.

Rodeo Clown said:

C'mon, guys.

The Brits aren't really know for the cuisine. Although, i love me some fish n' chip over there.

Most amazing thing I discovered overseas were how many Americans eat at McDonalds all the time. Like, WTF man. Discover something new, isn't that the point?

dream

Black Mamba said:
Most amazing thing I discovered overseas were how many Americans eat at McDonalds all the time. Like, WTF man. Discover something new, isn't that the point?

Familiarity and convenience > deliciousness and discovery, I guess. I read something once that said the appeal of McDonald's is you get a consistent experience from them regardless of where you are in the world.

To be fair, as a person of second generation British descent, I can tell you that English food is pretty bad. There's not that much to discover.

dream

LiveFromKyoto said:
To be fair, as a person of second generation British descent, I can tell you that English food is pretty bad. There's not that much to discover.

Yeah, now that I think about it, I don't really associate any traditional English dishes with fine dining. It's just all gastropub shit.

xnipx

I'm sure there are fine dining establishments built for millionaires to eat at tho right?? I remember leron McClain for the ravens had his bday dinner at cheesecake factory I just wanted to go there and kick him in the head

dream

xnipx said:
I'm sure there are fine dining establishments built for millionaires to eat at tho right?? I remember leron McClain for the ravens had his bday dinner at cheesecake factory I just wanted to go there and kick him in the head

Maybe he had a coupon.

reilo

Branduil said:
It's pretty hilarious how multi-millionaires still eat at McDonald's.
Favorite spot for players to go eat on a roadtrip is at the Cheesecake Factory.

EDIT: lol beaten. It's no joke. Cheesecake Factory is the spot to eat at for players.

dream said:
Familiarity and convenience > deliciousness and discovery, I guess. I read something once that said the appeal of McDonald's is you get a consistent experience from them regardless of where you are in the world.

I had McD in one place in Europe, only because of time constraints. The food did not taste the same (in Madrid) to here. I didn't like the fries at all.

In fairness, I don't like McD much to begin with, but i usually like the fries.

LeBron and Wade versus top 8 teams this season:

Wade: 21.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 4.0 TOs, .508 TS%
LeBron: 27.4 points, 7.8 rebounds, 6.8 assists, 3.7 TOs, .607 TS%

Man, Wade really showing the CLUTCH GENE.

xnipx

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
LeBron and Wade versus top 8 teams this season:

Wade: 21.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 4.0 TOs, .508 TS%
LeBron: 27.4 points, 7.8 rebounds, 6.8 assists, 3.7 TOs, .607 TS%

Man, Wade really showing the CLUTCH GENE.
Yea. Check brons $tat$. They tell the whole story here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom