• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Red Blaster said:
Nice job ignoring context brah. If Dwight did something like this today, he'd be suspended.

If Dwight did something like that, it'd be the first time showing that he has a backbone.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I think they are beatable.

But not at home.

It's going to be tough unless they have injuries.

Parker is so hard for us to deal with and when Ginobili is on there is not a lot we can do.

SephCast said:
If Dwight did something like that, it'd be the first time showing that he has a backbone.

Quit playing dumb, you know as well I do that he'd get suspended if he pulled something like that. Look, your guys got a nice win even though it was a road-home b2b for the Magic. Don't need to make RealGM-esque declarations.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Parker is so hard for us to deal with and when Ginobili is on there is not a lot we can do.

When the Bulls beat the Spurs at Chicago before the All Star break, they did a good job of shutting down the Spurs but had no answer for Parker.

He's crafty and the way he uses his body for separation at the rim to get fouls called or to prevent the defender from blocking him is the best I have seen any guard at doing.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Red Blaster said:
Quit playing dumb, you know as well I do that he'd get suspended if he pulled something like that. Look, your guys got a nice win even though it was a road-home b2b for the Magic. Don't need to make RealGM-esque declarations.

Ok ok ok sorry, but you have to show me more than one instance of Shaq being a bitch to prove something. Sure they didn't call as many techs back in the day, but Dwight really really has to learn to control himself.

SephCast said:
Ok ok ok sorry, but you have to show me more than one instance of Shaq being a bitch to prove something. Sure they didn't call as many techs back in the day, but Dwight really really has to learn to control himself.

He wears those fancy elbow pads for a reason;)

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Rose has got to start working on his 3 pointer again. He's gone 0-11 in the last two games, and he's 14% for the last 10 games.

Lttp, but wow at the heat and knicks losses.

Real talk: trade Lebron for Chandler, Galinari, Felton, and Mozgoff, and the Heat are a better team.

SoulPlaya said:
Rose has got to start working on his 3 pointer again. He's gone 0-11 in the last two games, and he's 14% for the last 10 games.

Yeah, good point but knowing him, he will get that "fixed".

He said he's getting the same good looks he has gotten all year, they just aren't falling.

I was more worried about Korver and then he hit those two huge threes.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
"Heat now NBA-worst 1-for-14 on potential tying or go-ahead shots in last 10 seconds of 4th qtr or OT this yr, according to Elias."

Wow, can anyone name those games where they missed these shots? I'd love to make a mixtape.

Yes, hating on the Heat is that much fun. I am so happy they came together. Even if they do win a title, I still love them for what they did. They gave me someone to cheer against for as long as they're together.

Frankly, I think the Big three are a variable rather than a trend. Other stars will see how much hate the big three get, how much pressure there is, and how it's not that easy to win. Knicks will probably be a secondary example of that.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Lttp, but wow at the heat and knicks losses.

Real talk: trade Lebron for Chandler, Galinari, Felton, and Mozgoff, and the Heat are a better team.

Depth >>>>> Superstars

Or at least depth that has ability.

What is happening with the Heat and Knicks is great for the league because it shows that you can't just throw individual talent on a team and the tide has automatically shifted in your favor.

Not that those teams can't be dangerous but in a series, I'd even go with the Nuggets over the Heat.

SephCast said:
"Heat now NBA-worst 1-for-14 on potential tying or go-ahead shots in last 10 seconds of 4th qtr or OT this yr, according to Elias."

I can't name the shots, but I can name a bunch of games where they've blown 20+ point leads. The Jazz early in the season. The Magic, twice this season maybe? The Knicks last week. Right now the Heat are blowing teams out in the first half (Spurs game aside) and then mailing it in during the second half. When they were on that huge winning streak they were playing close for the first half then blowing it open in the third quarter. I don't know what's changed. The mindset I guess.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
When the Bulls beat the Spurs at Chicago before the All Star break, they did a good job of shutting down the Spurs but had no answer for Parker.

He's crafty and the way he uses his body for separation at the rim to get fouls called or to prevent the defender from blocking him is the best I have seen any guard at doing.

The Bulls did a really good job controlling the perimeter which Parker loves kicking out to. If we can just keep their perimeter in check its easier to throw off their mid-range jumpers. Like you said though chasing Parker is where you go wrong.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Depth >>>>> Superstars

Or at least depth that has ability.

What is happening with the Heat and Knicks is great for the league because it shows that you can't just throw individual talent on a team and the tide has automatically shifted in your favor.

Not that those teams can't be dangerous but in a series, I'd even go with the Nuggets over the Heat.

I would definitely go with the Nuggets. It is really nice especially considering all the hyped up bs I had to listen to all summer. Espn was especially guilty but if you didn't know any better almost every sports reporter would have you believe that the Heat were going to be so incredible there was almost no point for anyone else to try in the NBA. Championships were on lock-down.

The Stealth Fox

BruceLeeRoy said:
I would definitely go with the Nuggets. It is really nice especially considering all the hyped up bs I had to listen to all summer. Espn was especially guilty but if you didn't know any better almost every sports reporter would have you believe that the Heat were going to be so incredible there was almost no point for anyone else to try in the NBA. Championships were on lock-down.

And how could you not? Don't tell me that you predicted that some of their implosions would be this bad. I mean, everyone WANTED them to occur, but for them to actually happen...? Come on, man.

The Miami Heat cleaned out a stacked free agency. Now, people are having doubts that they'll get past the Bulls. And the Bulls were thought to have simply upgraded from "first round out/borderline playoff team" to "average playoff team/2nd round out". Now the conference finals are a very REAL possibility for them.

The Stealth Fox said:
And how could you not? Don't tell me that you predicted that some of their implosions would be this bad. I mean, everyone WANTED them to occur, but for them to actually happen...? Come on, man.

The Miami Heat cleaned house in a stacked free agency. Now, people are having doubts that they'll get past the Bulls. And the Bulls were thought to have simply upgraded from "first round out/borderline playoff team" to "average playoff team/2nd round out". Now the conference finals are a very REAL possibility for them.

Let me be clear I didn't know it was going to be this bad for them at all. I didn't think they were going to go on the blitzkrieg tear everyone was saying but I didn't think they were going to implode.

The Stealth Fox said:
And how could you not? Don't tell me that you predicted that some of their implosions would be this bad.

The Miami Heat cleaned house in a stacked free agency. Now, people are having doubts that they'll get past the Bulls...

I wasn't too worried about them.

They got 2 superstars that aren't great shooters(though sometimes very streaky) and another one that has questionable mental toughness.

Now if they had some talent besides those three, they'd be really scary.

But that's not enough to get it done, I laughed at them breaking regular season records and winning over 20 games in a row.

Haslem will really help them but they don't have enough of him in supporting roles and they play hideously often.

They are deficient in two areas that really matter too: Bigs and a stellar point guard.

Surely a dangerous team on talent alone but I wasn't surprised they struggled early and really wasn't convinced they got it together when they started winning a bunch of games. It was impressive somewhat but they beat bad teams.

They could be contenders if they get more very good role players though.

The Stealth Fox

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I wasn't too worried about them.

They got 2 superstars that aren't great shooters(though sometimes very streaky) and another one that has questionable mental toughness.

Now if they had some talent besides those three, they'd be really scary.

But that's not enough to get it done, I laughed at them breaking regular season records and winning over 20 games in a row.

Haslem will really help them but they don't have enough of him in supporting roles and they play hideous often.

They are deficient in two areas that really matter too: Bigs and a stellar point guard.

Surely a dangerous team on talent alone but I wasn't surprised they struggled early and really wasn't convinced they got it together when they started winning a bunch of games. It was impressive somewhat but they beat bad teams.

They could be contenders if they get more very good role players though.

But people made the same arguments for the Boston Celtics in '08. "Oh, they can't work together. There aren't enough shots for Allen and Pierce. All of these players need the ball to be successful."

Turns out they worked it all out because everyone wanted to take a reduced role for the good of the team and chose to specialize in something. That's the issue with the Heat this season. Bosh doesn't want to take a role at all, Wade's role has diminished, and LeBron wants to pretty much run everything. This is why they look exactly like the Cavaliers.

Granted, Wade can't really shoot all that well either, so is there anything for him to do other than get to the FT line (which is what LeBron does anyway)?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
ToyMachine228 said:
I can't name the shots, but I can name a bunch of games where they've blown 20+ point leads. The Jazz early in the season. The Magic, twice this season maybe? The Knicks last week. Right now the Heat are blowing teams out in the first half (Spurs game aside) and then mailing it in during the second half. When they were on that huge winning streak they were playing close for the first half then blowing it open in the third quarter. I don't know what's changed. The mindset I guess.

I guess it wouldn't be so hard, I could just look at their losses.

So we've got the (these are game deciding shots):

Jazz (House Miss)
Hornets (House Miss)
Dallas (Bosh miss)
Hawks (LeBron miss)
Magic (Bosh Miss, LeBron Miss)
Knicks x2 (Chalmers Miss, LeBron Miss)
Bulls x2 (Wade Miss, LeBron Miss)
Celtics (Miller miss)

I'll see what I can do.

The Stealth Fox said:
But people made the same arguments for the Boston Celtics in '08. "Oh, they can't work together. There aren't enough shots for Allen and Pierce. All of these players need the ball to be successful."

Turns out they worked it all out because everyone wanted to take a reduced role for the good of the team. That's the issue with the Heat this season. Bosh doesn't want to take a role at all, Wade's role has diminished, and LeBron wants to pretty much run everything. Which is why they exactly look like the Cavaliers.

I can't disagree with any of that.

However, in the Celtics case, Allen and Pierce are much better shooters than LeBron and Wade.

Obviously LeBron and Wade are better athletes and playmakers but if you can get LeBron and Wade(and Bosh) to settle for jumpers, you're in great shape.

I guess I value or fear great shooters more than great athletes, especially because the Heat's players in my mind don't play to their strengths enough and sometimes settle for jumpers.

I don't think they can beat teams from the outside and if you have big guys near the basket, you can at least contest their shots or send them to the line.

Sanjuro

dIEHARD said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A60KLjIFksA&feature=related

Shaq was mad he kept getting stuffed by AK.

.. i miss prime AK :(
These instances are the refs coddling the poor players egos who are getting dunked on. The other part is the refs hogging the spotlight.

More examples of how poor the NBA can be.

Red Blaster said:
I think you are trying to "FOX News" your postings a little bit. I see a video with both centers getting nice plays on one another and get into a shoving match.

The Stealth Fox

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I can't disagree with any of that.

However, in the Celtics case, Allen and Pierce are much better shooters than LeBron and Wade.

Obviously LeBron and Wade are better athletes and playmakers but if you can get LeBron and Wade(and Bosh) to settle for jumpers, you're in great shape.

I guess I value or fear great shooters more than great athletes, especially because the Heat's players in my mind don't play to their strengths enough and sometimes settle for jumpers.

I don't think they can beat teams from the outside and if you have big guys near the basket, you can at least contest their shots or send them to the line.

I agree that the Celtics trio were much better shooters, allowing them to specialize and take a reduced role.

However, Bosh is a good shooter, Miller was supposed to be a good shooter, Bibby is shooting well from 3 this year. The problems remain though.

You can load up on as many shooters as you want with this Heat team though and it wouldn't matter. Wade and LeBron THINK they are amazing shooters, so they take difficult shots that end up in wasted possessions. And LeBron pretty much has to run the team.

LeBron is an amazing player that can turn Mo Williams into an All-Star, but can also turn Dwyane Wade into Mo Williams.

It worked in Cleveland, but it's making Bosh and Wade completely waste away. Sometimes I think they all got together to party instead of play basketball.

Sanjuro

The Stealth Fox said:
I agree that the Celtics trio were much better shooters, allowing them to specialize and take a reduced role.

However, Bosh is a good shooter, Miller was supposed to be a good shooter, Bibby is shooting well from 3 this year. The problems remain though.

You can load up on as many shooters as you want with this Heat team though and it wouldn't matter. Wade and LeBron THINK they are amazing shooters, so they take difficult shots that end up in wasted possessions. And LeBron pretty much has to run the team.

It worked in Cleveland, but it's making Bosh and Wade completely waste away. Sometimes I think they all got together to party instead of play basketball.
Uhhhhhhh...what?

The Stealth Fox

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Go away. Are you one of those fans that looks for any perceived slight to your team and gets angry about it? Grow up.

And I won't edit it just to piss you off. Game 3 makes Ray Allen the worst shooter in the NBA history. Reggie Miller never went 0-13 in any game.

Sanjuro

The Stealth Fox said:
Go away. Are you one of those fans that looks for any perceived slight to your team and gets angry about it? Grow up.

And I won't edit it just to piss you off. Game 3 makes Ray Allen the worst shooter in the NBA history. Reggie Miller never went 0-13 in any game.
Sigh. You are so fucking mad right now. So. Fucking. Mad.

Me? I ain't even mad. I'm just pointing out when someone is wrong, but I get it though...you are mad. Makes your statements and opinions weak.

giri

SephCast said:
Less games that Dwight could get a technical in?

But he got a tech...
If your only hangup about dwight is how many techs he gets, and considering how easy they are to get, then he must be the most complete player in the NBA.

On the dampier thing, it was stupid, reckless, flagrant, dangerous. There was no redeeming quality to it at all. The NBA has to move to start calling people for stupid shit that is done purely to cause injuries, and particulary, shoving people in the air. TP could've done so much damage. If he clips the pads on the post holding up the back board, he could dislocate a shoulder quite easily, and that would be his season done, Just cause damp didn't like getting clowned on by a super fast PG like he has all his career?

The Stealth Fox said:

Turns out they worked it all out because everyone wanted to take a reduced role for the good of the team and chose to specialize in something. That's the issue with the Heat this season. Bosh doesn't want to take a role at all, Wade's role has diminished, and LeBron wants to pretty much run everything. This is why they look exactly like the Cavaliers.

Granted, Wade can't really shoot all that well either, so is there anything for him to do other than get to the FT line (which is what LeBron does anyway)?

Maybe, maybe not. But what you did see was 3 super stars who gave up some of their ego and did become role players. They now aren't the guy that does everything, but the guy that does their role, and extremely well.

Anyway, i'm over talking about miami, the teams just not that interesting.

The Stealth Fox

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Sigh. You are so fucking mad right now. So. Fucking. Mad.

Me? I ain't even mad. I'm just pointing out when someone is wrong, but I get it though...you are mad. Makes your statements and opinions weak.

Kevin McHale is best Kevin. At least he picked on people his own size.

giri

The Stealth Fox said:

LeBron is an amazing player that can turn Mo Williams into an All-Star, but can also turn Dwyane Wade into Mo Williams.

What? HAS to? he REFUSES to is what you really meant, right?

god, i'm so over this, trade LBJ for a PG who will run an O, and you instantly get 10x better. Why isn't the bosh Alley run 5 times a game? seriously, why isn't it, with so much attention paid to wade / lbj he should be getting free along the base line all the time (and he does), but LBJ's great passing and court vision ignore it all the time.

Sanjuro

Sigh. You lifelongs should just stay on 4chan. You bring nothing to the table but trolling. At least some of the better posters here can mix it with some actual knowledge about the game.

The Stealth Fox

giri said:
What? HAS to? he REFUSES to is what you really meant, right?

god, i'm so over this, trade LBJ for a PG who will run an O, and you instantly get 10x better. Why isn't the bosh Alley run 5 times a game? seriously, why isn't it, with so much attention paid to wade / lbj he should be getting free along the base line all the time (and he does), but LBJ's great passing and court vision ignore it all the time.

LeBron is playing exactly like he was in Cleveland, and it's showing in the stats. He is RUNNING the team in the sense that he feels that he needs to dominate scoring and ball handling. He doesn't want to reduce his role. That's the problem. He can't play off the ball, but what's even worse is that he happens to make everyone worse around him. If he has the ball in his hands Wade is effectively useless.

The Stealth Fox said:
LeBron is playing exactly like he was in Cleveland, and it's showing in the stats. He is RUNNING the team in the sense that he feels that he needs to dominate scoring and ball handling. That's the problem. He can't play off the ball, but what's even worse is that he happens to make everyone worse around him. If he has the ball in his hands Wade is effectively useless.

The funny thing is, the media acts like LeBron DOES make his team better through raw numbers and isolated instances of fancy passes.

I hate to always bring up Rose but his ad that is played around Bulls' games consists of him not caring much about triple doubles and that he just wants to win as winning gets you everything in the league.

Too many people focus on stats.

LeBron often has misleading ones where he has nice numbers in points, assists and rebounds.

It's only when the stats of the Heat struggling against the best teams and in close games, where these "experts" can't deny it's not working.

I mean, he's a great individual talent but how is he a favorite/contender to win Most Valuable Player???

I just don't see it.

Bread

Banned
Ok so if Lebron could do "The Decision" all over again, where do you guys think he'd go? NY? It seems like he needs a team full of role players who can hit an open shot and rebound.

Bread said:
Ok so if Lebron could do "The Decision" all over again, where do you guys think he'd go? NY? It seems like he needs a team full of role players who can hit an open shot and rebound.

He'd have a great shot at winning the title with the Bulls but then again, maybe not as he seems like to have it in his head that he's actually a point guard.

Bread said:

If he went to NY with all their role players he'd probably demand they be traded for a higher caliber player or a few higher caliber players. He did his time with teams full of role players. That story doesn't end well for him.

I think he's just showing he isn't capable of being part of a team.

Now, if wade could do it over again he'd probably go to chicago.

The Stealth Fox

Bread said:
Vancouver Grizzlies

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Sigh. You lifelongs should just stay on 4chan. You bring nothing to the table but trolling. At least some of the better posters here can mix it with some actual knowledge about the game.
U mad?

Bulls were the obvious choice in the summer for LeBron. Even if he could do his decision all over again, i don't think he would come to the Bulls.

Mainly because:

mjsshadow.png

The Stealth Fox

Benjamin1981 said:
Bulls were the obvious choice in the summer for LeBron. Even if he could do his decision all over again, i don't think he would come to the Bulls.

Mainly because:

I agree, LeBron couldn't handle the legacy of best-Bull-ever B.J. Armstrong.

Tom Penny said:
So much overreaction to th Heat. Once Lebron and Wade hand over the keys to Bibby they will be great.

They should have gone after Troy Murphy. Then they would have the dynamic duo of empty stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom