• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

exarkun said:
Stealth, you're breaking my heart with some of this stuff man. Too early in the morning for that type of stuff. Though, your post about the eastern conference in reply to mine was pretty good. I still like the fact that most of the West's talents are spread out more than the east, but thats whatever.

And wtf are people talking about Dwight and LA for? You mean he's going to the clippers? Cause the Lakers already have their Big Sexy, or are you already willing to forsake him?

Most people are joking. The Lakers want CP3, not Dwight.

Wonder if Dwight will go to NJ. That team, with Dwill and Dwight, would be badass to watch. I would hate to see him go to the Lakers though.

SamuraiX-

Contract Extension On Table For Howard

RealGM said:
Orlando Magic President of Basketball Operations Otis Smith said Friday that the organization has offered superstar center Dwight Howard a contract extension, but Howard said he hasn't seen it.

"The extension is on the table," Smith said.

That extension is believed to be for two seasons.

Howard can become a free agent following the 2011-12 season.

Smith, coach Stan Van Gundy and Magic players were available to speak to the media Friday, about 15 hours after they were eliminated in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs by the Atlanta Hawks.

When asked about the contract extension Smith referred to, Howard responded, "I haven't seen a contract."
When a reporter followed up, Howard said, "I haven't seen it."

So it begins...

The Stealth Fox said:
Prime Yao > Prime Howard. Check 2009 head-to-head stats.
CP3 is better than Deron even though Deron has CP3 in the head-to-head matchup.

If Yao were a bit shorter, he might've been better than Howard. His mobility and durability are what kill him,.

The Stealth Fox

OpinionatedCyborg said:
CP3 is better than Deron even though Deron has CP3 in the head-to-head matchup.

If Yao were a bit shorter, he might've been better than Howard. His mobility and durability are what kill him,.

Yao is more skilled and has a softer touch, and still changes shots on the defensive end.

I threw durability out of the equation because I'm talking what would've been

RE: Spurs

If someone can photoshop that OWNED image where Pop is standing over Mike D'Antoni so that Lionel Hollins is standing over Pop, that would be amazing.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
SamuraiX- said:
Oden Looks At Free Agency As 'His Move'

It's sad because Oden will never live up to his true potential in Portland. He's not a bust by definition and we all know that, but that's gonna be how he's remembered if he doesn't go to a team with a competent medical staff.
John Canzano. Don't listen to a word he says. I've posted about his bullshit before. Just ignore it.

cuevas said:
How many years do you need for veteran minimum?

I think 3 years. But he will definitely get more than the minimum. There will be some franchise that thinks they can save his career.

If Oden stays healthy after you get him, he could easily be the more clutch Patrick Ewing. There's like a 5% chance of that happening, but he clearly has best player on a championship team potential and there's only like seven guys in the NBA who are at that level right now and only one (Or two if Drummond quits being soft) entering the draft in the next four years.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
If Oden stays healthy after you get him, he could easily be the more clutch Patrick Ewing. There's like a 5% chance of that happening, but he clearly has best player on a championship team potential and there's only like seven guys in the NBA who are at that level right now and only one (Or two if Drummond quits being soft) entering the draft in the next four years.

I didn't know you could be a clutch player sitting in a suit on the bench.

Or does 5% mean "I'm talking out of my ass but just in case it happens I called it!"

The Stealth Fox said:
Yao is more skilled and has a softer touch, and still changes shots on the defensive end.

I threw durability out of the equation because I'm talking what would've been

RE: Spurs

If someone can photoshop that OWNED image where Pop is standing over Mike D'Antoni so that Lionel Hollins is standing over Pop, that would be amazing.
Yao is more skilled, but he wasn't the rebounder or defender that Howard is, and his lack of mobility prevented him from being a significantly more dangerous scoring force than Howard for most seasons. I think a shorter Yao would've been more mobile, less prone to injury, and be pretty much unstoppable on defense... while being a better rebounder and blocker too. Then again, Yao has T-Rex arms, so his lack of length might've been a factor...

ph33nix said:
I didn't know you could be a clutch player sitting in a suit on the bench.

Or does 5% mean "I'm talking out of my ass but just in case it happens I called it!"

Oden's injuries could just be a lot of freakishly bad luck. It's almost certainly not, but it could be and he had Hall of Fame potential without the injuries.

Even as a youngster Oden looked line a bunch of injuries waiting to happen. He just has that kidn of lumbering body that looks like he's in pain every time he runs. 4/$40 million would be a laughable contract to give a guy like him. If you want to give him $10 million, keep it to 2 years max, that way you give him a year to figure shit out, and once it becomes clear he's not going to stay healthy, he turns into an expiring contract. Similar to Kwame's first contract when the Lakers signed him.

jjasper said:
I understand the thinking on the Indiana trade from our perspective though. We basically have Arthur on the bench for the backcourt and McRoberts could potentially get some good minutes in there to give Zach or Marc a break but it seems like so little for OJ. Yeah he has sucked at points this year but at the same time he has clearly grown up, matured and accepted that yeah being a 6th man that basically can shoot at will and not have to worry too much on defense has its benefits. He is getting better and could develop into a big time scorer while I don't think McRoberts will ever be any better than he is right now.

Edit: No games tomorrow? Holy shit I might actually get some school work done now.

LOL. Arthur in the backcourt? Pass. Plus we have Powe and Haddadi for the extra bigs. That trade was essentially another cash deal, but because we're winning we don't get the flack we normally would.

jjasper

I was wondring what you were talking about until I read what I wrote. Yeah I didn't mean backcourt I meant to say all we had that we could count on off the bench for the front court was Arthur don't know why I said backcourt, must have been the booze. The point of the trade was too get more help down low and yeah that might not be necessary now if Lowe's knees are good like they seem to be.

Puddles

Banned
Can't believe I have to root for the Celtics AGAIN.

Only Lebron James could ever make me sympathize with the green.

linsivvi

Puddles said:
Can't believe I have to root for the Celtics AGAIN.

Only Lebron James could ever make me sympathize with the green.

No, we want them in the Finals so the Lakers can take them out again.

Only this time it'll be twice as good since they'll be taking out Shaq as well.

Even better if they could end Shaq's career in the Staples center.

But who am I kidding here? Half of the NBA-age predicted the Mavs a series win.

Puddles

Banned
linsivvi said:
No, we want them in the Finals so the Lakers can take them out again.

Only this time it'll be twice as good since they'll be taking out Shaq as well.

Even better if they could end Shaq's career in the Staples center.

Would absolutely love to see that.

And anyone predicting a Mavs win is joking or trolling.

Derwind said:
Dude, besides game 1 and 2, Richard Jeffersons stat line was atrocious. SMFH....

There was absolutely no effort for the amount of minutes he got this series.
Jefferson is a joke and his contract will be a heavy burden. Sadly, that didn't seemed to be the case when he started the season on fire, but the guy has shown that he has no backbone and makes me long for the days or Mario Elie, Sean Elliot and Bruce Bowen.

I gotta be completely honest about something though. As much as I enjoyed the regular season, deep down I knew it would take a miracle for the Spurs to make a serious run in the PO. Weak frontcourt, relied heavily on 3pt shooting and the trademarked Spurs D was gone. I thought that maybe they could somehow find the D back before the playoffs, but it never happened and Pop made some commitments to a style of play that resembled more to the failed Suns teams of the last few years than the championship Spurs teams. Everybody knows the outside shooting as your primary weapon won't take you anywhere in the postseason, especially when Matt Bonner is key in that department.

So in summary, I'm not surprised by what happened in this 1st round.

SamuraiX- said:
I've always never really liked the Spurs. Feel like they cheated the Suns out of a championship.
u mad?

Biggest BS I've ever heard regarding the Spurs championship runs, even bigger than the lockout season asterisk. The Suns were never better than the Spurs during those runs and as much as their fans and themselves wanted it, they were always outclassed on and off the court.

linsivvi said:

And if the Lakers advance, they'll take the Grizz/Thunder in the next round.

And if they advance to the Finals, they'll take the EC winner.

And if the win the whole thing, they'll say they won't win 4 in a row.

The goalposts keep moving, and time is on their side.

Eventually, the haters will be "right" and the Lakers will come up short.

The Stealth Fox

ryutaro's mama said:

Yep. Welcome to no-one-wants-to-see-the-Lakers-win-8000-times-Age.

Well, at least outside of LA and all those bandwagoners everywhere.

The Stealth Fox said:
Hip check Horry tainted that series man.
Old news and I'd rather not get back into discussing something as pointless, but even Nash has said that he over exaggerated as soon as he felt the contact. Horry didn't force any stupid Suns players to get off the bench. Period.

The Stealth Fox

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Old news and I'd rather not get back into discussing something as pointless, but even Nash has said that he over exaggerated as soon as he felt the contact. Horry didn't force any stupid Suns players to get off the bench. Period.
He still did a dirty play when the game was well out of hand. One non-basketball-skill related incident ruined that whole series.

I'm not saying their championship doesn't count, and yes, suspensions are still part of the game, but it DID affect the outcome of the series, just like the refs in Lakers Kings Game 6 in 2002 did.

jjasper said:
I was wondring what you were talking about until I read what I wrote. Yeah I didn't mean backcourt I meant to say all we had that we could count on off the bench for the front court was Arthur don't know why I said backcourt, must have been the booze. The point of the trade was too get more help down low and yeah that might not be necessary now if Lowe's knees are good like they seem to be.

Yeah I didn't think that's what you meant. And you got to stay sober man. We have a short turnaround. :D

SamuraiX-

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
u mad?

Biggest BS I've ever heard regarding the Spurs championship runs, even bigger than the lockout season asterisk. The Suns were never better than the Spurs during those runs and as much as their fans and themselves wanted it, they were always outclassed on and off the court.

Nope.

I ain't even mad.

Seriously. You just got knocked out by an 8 seeded Grizzlies, where the only two games you won were probably flukes. Sit the fuck down.

And SMFH @ calling the Spurs classy when you guys had the likes of Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry on your team.

Puddles

Banned
Watching that Lakers vs Spurs 2003 video. Goddamn, Kobe's crossover was so godlike before the injuries piled up. Wish I could grant him fresh ankles and a full set of fingers again. His dribbling hasn't been the same these last few years.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
ryutaro's mama said:

lol I can't wait for that shit. "See! They lost eventually! Told you they were frauds! They only got lucky!"

It's going to happen too, no matter what the Lakers accomplish.
Puddles said:
Watching that Lakers vs Spurs 2003 video. Goddamn, Kobe's crossover was so godlike before the injuries piled up. Wish I could grant him fresh ankles and a full set of fingers again. His dribbling hasn't been the same these last few years.
Remember when Kobe used to slice through double-teams like a hot-knife through butter? Shit looked absolutely effortless most times.

I still day-dream of what could have been had Kobe been gifted a similar squad as this one back in his 05-07 days. Shame it will forever remain a dream and nothing more.

SamuraiX- said:
Nope.

I ain't even mad.

Seriously. You just got knocked out by an 8 seeded Grizzlies, where the only two games you won were probably flukes. Sit the fuck down.

And SMFH @ calling the Spurs classy when you guys had the likes of Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry on your team.
Why bring up the series with Grizz? I've been humble about Memphis' superiority and the Spurs shortcomings during the series, so stop acting all tough. If you don't have any valid arguments to contend that the Spurs cheated the Suns, which is what I'm arguing, maybe you should be the one sitting the fuck down.

SamuraiX-

Relax, guys. The second round hasn't even started yet.

No need to engage in preemptive damage control this early.

But hey, if it makes you feel better go ape shit.

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
Why bring up the series with Grizz? I've been humble about Memphis' superiority and the Spurs shortcomings during the series, so stop acting all tough. If you don't have any valid arguments to contend that the Spurs cheated the Suns, which is what I'm arguing, maybe you should be the one sitting the fuck down.

Don't mind SamuraiX.

He's just a non-bitter Kings fan.

ryutaro's mama said:
Don't mind SamuraiX.

He's just a non-bitter Kings fan.
Oh Kings fans, I understand now. Piled in the same class as delusional Suns fans that actually believe their team deserved a ring at some point, if it wasn't for the forces of evil getting in the way.

etiolate

Banned
Come now. Asking a Kings fan to forget being jobbed in the playoffs is like asking a Laker fan to remember the Shaq era.

etiolate said:
Come now. Asking a Kings fan to forget being jobbed in the playoffs is like asking a Laker fan to remember the Shaq era.

We remember it very well. After all, 3 beautiful banners came out of it. A couple of those through the Kings =D

LovingSteam said:
We remember it very well. After all, 3 beautiful banners came out of it. A couple of those through the Kings =D

actually all 3 Shaq titles went through the Kings. And in order. First we beat them in the first round (they pushed us all 5 games though, that was pre-Bibby), then we swept them in the 2nd, then we beat them in the WCF.

Ninja Scooter said:
actually all 3 Shaq titles went through the Kings. And in order. First we beat them in the first round (they pushed us all 5 games though, that was pre-Bibby), then we swept them in the 2nd, then we beat them in the WCF.

So nice to know that the Lakers stopped the Malloofs from enjoying a title, and the fans of Sac town as well. Hey Samurai :D

Ninja Scooter said:
Also gave us this gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKhP3PnB_xM

lol Samaki Walker and Jelani McCoy flanking Shaq on the bus. Twin Towers or Scrubbery.

HAHAHA. Man, that brings back memories. I know I did it once already but I gotta do it again

robert_horry1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom