• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.
reilo said:
Cuban didn't take ownership of the team until January 2000. Donnie Nelson was an assistant coach at the time and not in the front office.

You're right about Cubes. My bad. It seems like he's owned the team longer than that. And it's so easy to forget about the Carter>Perot>Cuban interim. Perot did so little, other than treating the Mavs as a broker in real estate deals, after all.

As assistant, Donnie was the head scout for foreign players too though. Remember, his Lithuanian team had already won two bronze medals in the Olympics and a silver medal in the European Championships by that point. He knew Holger well, and knew Dirk as a teenager.

DCX

DCX
In June, 17-20 weekend to be exact. A battle on the blacktop is about to happen. Wellington and DCX have confirmed to compete, Frankman and CaptainMcB answer the call.

best two outta three. Knicks Age battle.

Any other NBA Age members want to join, sign up

DCX

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DCX said:
In June, 17-20 weekend to be exact. A battle on the blacktop is about to happen. Wellington and DCX have confirmed to compete, Frankman and CaptainMcB answer the call.

2-2 , best two outta three. Knicks Age battle.

DCX
I'd watch a live stream of that.

Celsior

DCX said:

DCX
I used to be good at basketball, played with my friends in college and I found out I suck now.

DCX said:

DCX
stream that shit.

DCX

DCX
Celsior said:
I used to be good at basketball, played with my friends in college and I found out I suck now.
My skills have diminished, but i know i will take Wellie to the bucket time and time again...

DCX

reilo

DCX said:
My skills have diminished, but i know i will take Wellie to the bucket time and time again...

DCX
Too many Urkles on your team...

Blackface

Banned
viakado said:
not gonna happen if jerry buss pursuit him.
0054_tl3t.gif

We have more, quite literally.

giri

Black Mamba said:
You are setting up a straw man argument. I have never argued we should feel sorry for him. I said, and I guess I have to repeat it because someone has a thick skull, he does stupid shit because he's trying to fit in and doesn't realize he's doing stupid shit at the time, so I genuinely believe he's sorry afterwards. That doesn't make what he did any more or less wrong. It's just as wrong either way, but the topic is whether we should believe his apology, not whether what he did was wrong because we all acknowledge it was.

Again, for those slow at home, Thats not what you did. That might be what you crow now, but thats not what you did. You created the narrative of a socially inept player trying to gain acceptance among his peers by lashing out. That wasn't me, that wasn't some falsehood, that was you.

He may feel bad about losing $700k, but i have no doubt, he doesn't feel bad about the act it self, just the punishment and scrutiny afterward.

And yes, I'm calling out your understanding of "spite" because your use of it make no fucking sense whatsoever. It sounds like you just grouped together a bunch of "strong" words to make your argument seem mightier, but in the end it really made it look silly.
His pathetic apology, is spiteful because it detracts from a legacy of a player who is renowned thug, and tries to diminish the act it self and mask it. It completely flys in the face of what he truly felt, and is a pathetic PR piece. But of course, reading comprehension and all.

So you have never done something again after you apologized the first time? Really? What high horse did you ride in on?

Oh, i'm the one with strawmen? And again, i don't care that he did it, not that that's not taking a while to steep into you. I'm more offended at your attempt to re-write the history of the event and down play it. But, you know, reading comprehension and all.

People apologize and do the same shit over again even after meaning the original apology. I bet not one of us are free on sin in this regard.

So yes, I can accept his apology and be unconvinced that it won't happen again. Not everything is as black & white as you want to paint it as, but then again that usually happens when people try to make a failed argument.

His apology is as fake as your defense is. It's not sincere, it wont change him and i highly doubt he even wanted to do it. And i couldn't give a shit about that, the league HAD to make him stand up there and do it, but of course, changing the direction of an argument away from the point you lost, the original claim, is a sure sign of pure victory.

But he's a "thug" because you've cast judgment on him and are set in your ways. No matter what, your mind won't change. You have your motivations and it's very clear. No amount of actual facts would ever matter. The fact that people do things out of character a few times doesn't come into play for you. You want him to be a "thug," so he will always be a "thug." We get it.

I have motivation? What motivation? What facts are you referring to? That this is now the third time he's done this? that he has a history of it? You're right, the facts won't really change it.

He's a thug, he is who he is. Thats fine, but don't re-write the history. Don't try and rationalize it as some narrative of redemption or what ever else you want to call it. Shaqs put many a hard foul on a person too, he can be a thug when he wants to. And no one cares. But don't tell me thats because shaq was raised by his grandma and not his parents and this is his way of making his dad proud.

reilo

AShep said:
You still on dat cool juice or you upgraded to boss sauce?
I feel like both of those terms are euphemisms for jizz, so I'm gonna refrain from answering.

Blackface

Banned
Whoever believes Bynum is sorry must be mentally unstable.

How many more Suburban Thug elbows do I need to link in this thread, before you realize he has been doing this for years, and will continue to do it.

dream

giri said:
He may feel bad about losing $700k, but i have no doubt, he doesn't feel bad about the act it self, just the punishment and scrutiny afterward.

His pathetic apology, is spiteful because it detracts from a legacy of a player who is renowned thug, and tries to diminish the act it self and mask it. It completely flys in the face of what he truly felt, and is a pathetic PR piece. But of course, reading comprehension and all.

His apology is as fake as your defense is. It's not sincere, it wont change him and i highly doubt he even wanted to do it. And i couldn't give a shit about that, the league HAD to make him stand up there and do it, but of course, changing the direction of an argument away from the point you lost, the original claim, is a sure sign of pure victory.

He's a thug, he is who he is. Thats fine, but don't re-write the history. Don't try and rationalize it as some narrative of redemption or what ever else you want to call it. Shaqs put many a hard foul on a person too, he can be a thug when he wants to. And no one cares. But don't tell me thats because shaq was raised by his grandma and not his parents and this is his way of making his dad proud.

I clipped out some irrelevant stuff from your post but I find it difficult to accept the idea of ANYONE (Lakers fans included) believing that Bynum's apology was sincere. I think you are dead on.

For reference, here's what happened after he mugged Beasley:

Beasley didn't have a whole lot more to say about the hit, or the suspension. Just a reiteration of the "that's basketball" comment he gave Jerry. He did say that Bynum texted him on Saturday to apologize. Beasley said he appreciated that, but didn't think it was necessary and added that he did not respond to the text.

So he apologizes for beating the shit out of someone...then goes and does it again? C'mon.

reilo

dream said:
I clipped out some irrelevant stuff from your post but I find it difficult to accept the idea of ANYONE (Lakers fans included) believing that Bynum's apology was sincere. I think you are dead on.

For reference, here's what happened after he mugged Beasley:

So he apologizes for beating the shit out of someone...then goes and does it again? C'mon.
But this time he's sincerely sincere! Prom-prom!

THRILLH0

Banned
I would think that Bynum is sincere in that he didn't want to actually injure JJ but as for committing the foul itself I don't see why he'd honestly be sorry.

Edit: also, apologies to giri (and reilo by association) for coming off like an asshole on the subject last night. Wasn't necessary.

dream

AShep said:
I would think that Bynum is sincere in that he didn't want to actually injure JJ but as for committing the foul itself I don't see why he'd honestly be sorry.

Right. I don't think he wanted to kill Barea or anything but it takes a certain mentality to even foul someone in that manner. Maybe it's competitiveness. Maybe it's being a sore loser. Maybe he's just a fucking douchebag thug. But that's Andrew Bynum and I believe he's sorry as much as I believe Kobe will never use the word "faggot" again.

giri said:
Again, for those slow at home, Thats not what you did. That might be what you crow now, but thats not what you did. You created the narrative of a socially inept player trying to gain acceptance among his peers by lashing out. That wasn't me, that wasn't some falsehood, that was you.

Let's see my original replay. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27743140&postcount=18436

"yes. He's a bit aloof for an NBA player. He builds computers, reads novels in his spare time (and I mean legit ones), and is kind of a geek. What goes with that is he's always trying to "fit in" with the team. He mistakenly thought he had to take a hard foul, and how he did it was really stupid, because he's trying to gain acceptance (especially from Kobe). He's fake tough in that he feels he needs to be tough when he's naturally a softie, so it almost always comes out stupid. Afterwards, I think he ganuially felt bad about it."

So, I have now conclusively proven you incorrect as I clearly said exactly what you accused me of not saying.

I created a narrative where Bynum trying to show himself as tough ends up showing himself up as stupid. That's a fucking criticism of him, not asking people to feel sorry for him. Hence, why i pointed out your reading comprehension problems. You think I said he was lashing out? No. Re-read it. I was saying he's a suburbanite softie and so when he feels like the team wants him to be tough, he doesn't know how to do it correctly and it ends up coming out stupid. He's not lashing out, he trying to be something he's not. lern2reedgud

I believe he both apologized and called Barea before any suspension or fine. But of course you're next move will be that he anticipated one. Your game is predictable.

Once again you prove yourself ignorant of what "spite" actually means. I suggest you purchase a dictionary.

Oh, i'm the one with strawmen? And again, i don't care that he did it, not that that's not taking a while to steep into you. I'm more offended at your attempt to re-write the history of the event and down play it. But, you know, reading comprehension and all.

Yes, you are, as proven above. I'm not rewriting anything. I'm nt downplaying anything. The topic was whether we believe his apology. How is me explaining why I think it was sincere downplaying the actual event when the event is not even of topic, directly?

My defense is now fake, lol. It's fine if you don't believe it's sincere. You can have that opinion. I have mine and explained why. You don't like my explanation because it doesn't coincide with your preconceived notions and biases. That's your problem, though.

I love how you keep claiming I changed the direction of the argument when it was you who brought up stuff like I think he won't do it again. Awesome posting is awesome.

I have motivation? What motivation? What facts are you referring to? That this is now the third time he's done this? that he has a history of it? You're right, the facts won't really change it.

Nah, you're completely unbiased on the matter. Everyone knows how you simply love to praise Bynum and other Lakers. Bynum isn't even as good as Roy Hibbert and you just love to sing his greatness, anyway.

Shaq is a thug now too? Too rich!
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

At least I can get a kick out of this. I can't wait til I find out JJ redick is a thug too!

AShep said:

This I agree with. I don't think he's sorry for wanting to put someone on his ass. Hell, people here all the time whine why doesn't someone put someone else on their ass during a game. And quite frankly, it doesn't happen enough. But at the same time, when he saw what he did, I think he felt bad in the manner he went about it. Going with the elbow mid flight, etc. There's a right way to commit hard foul and a wrong way, and he did it the 100% wrong way.

But god forbid giri take a reasonable approach. No, Bynum is a thug who spends his downtime beating up on old ladies and stealing their purse. And he wanted to end Barea's career that night. And somehow his apology was spiteful (but to whom, we'll never know).

edit: and a preemptive fuck you to whomever calls me Black Trax. :p

dream

Black Mamba said:
This I agree with. I don't think he's sorry for wanting to put someone on his ass. Hell, people here all the time whine why doesn't someone put someone else on their ass during a game. And quite frankly, it doesn't happen enough. But at the same time, when he saw what he did, I think he felt bad in the manner he went about it. Going with the elbow mid flight, etc. There's a right way to commit hard foul and a wrong way, and he did it the 100% wrong way.

Context matters too, though. I'm all for hard fouls in playoff basketball. No layups or dunks. But Bynum attacked Barrea when the Lakers had no chance of getting back in the game.

diddles

Banned
lakers fans go to the off season thread with all your nonsense about the future of your team.

this thread is for teams still in the playoffs and the games they're competing in.

i swear it's like the Sixth Sense in here with you guys hangin around like nothing changed. go to the light!

dream said:
Context matters too, though. I'm all for hard fouls in playoff basketball. No layups or dunks. But Bynum attacked Barrea when the Lakers had no chance of getting back in the game.

Again, agree. I don't think you should take a hard foul down 20+ in a closeout game. It's a bitch move. 2nd quarter of game 2 and it's a different story.

I said from my first post after it happened that. Everything Bynum did was wrong.

THRILLH0

Banned
dream said:
Right. I don't think he wanted to kill Barea or anything but it takes a certain mentality to even foul someone in that manner. Maybe it's competitiveness. Maybe it's being a sore loser. Maybe he's just a fucking douchebag thug. But that's Andrew Bynum and I believe he's sorry as much as I believe Kobe will never use the word "faggot" again.

I think it's definitely those 2 rather than him simply being a thug and looking to goon it up. Doesn't necessarily excuse it and I think it's valid to question his sincerity but I just object to people claiming he should be rubbed out of the game or calling it one of the most horrible things they've ever seen like Tirico did.

BTW dream you're not really a turd, I just get far too worked up about shit in this thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom