• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

EvilMario said:
Westbrook attempting four times the amount of 3pt shots in the playoffs compared to the regular season.. and he's now under 40% shooting from the floor in the playoffs too.

So, just like Derek Rose?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
numble said:
OKC needs somebody that can handle the ball and knows how to pass.

Walton for Westbrook, straight-up.

S2OdE.png

Gigglepoo said:

Except Rose is actually receiving the calls when he flails down the middle. Westbrook just keeps on trying with little success, and has no alternative to fall back on. Not to mention the Thunder actually have another option they could look to.

etiolate

Banned
Kings getting another year. My worry is the Maloofs will quietly delay any arena deal by continually demanding obscene control and profits while not putting any money into the building. I think the county is going to have to circumnavigate the owners on getting an arena plan approved just like they did in getting the team to stay.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Gigglepoo said:

Was just going to post that haha. Only issue is that Westbrook shoots 40% while being single covered. Rose shooting 40% while quadruple covered.

So in effect, Rose is shooting 160%.
RoseStan

jjasper

Red Blaster said:
Scott Brooks sucks but I don't blast him from playing Westbrook as much as he did, he's the only other guy on the team who can score.

Why not try Westbrook at SG and Maynor at PG (or have they and it fail miserably?) Pretty sure he played it at UCLA with Collison at point.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
etiolate said:
Kings getting another year. My worry is the Maloofs will quietly delay any arena deal by continually demanding obscene control and profits while not putting any money into the building. I think the county is going to have to circumnavigate the owners on getting an arena plan approved just like they did in getting the team to stay.
Im hoping this was an eye opener for people willing to listen more to the need of a new arena. Still scared they will just leave next year as people might just go back to how they were before :(

etiolate

Banned
Corran Horn said:
Im hoping this was an eye opener for people willing to listen more to the need of a new arena. Still scared they will just leave next year as people might just go back to how they were before :(

I think the fact that they're involving the surrounding counties and not just the city will help in getting an arena started.

Corran Horn said:

I really hope they do since a new arena is all they need. Sac has the fan-base they just need somewhere you can sit and watch the game without getting vaccinated beforehand.

etiolate said:
I think the fact that they're involving the surrounding counties and not just the city will help in getting an arena started.

Yeah it should help get the ball moving quicker since there will be more public support.

lolspurs! Read back to when it happned. TCB's 50 win post nearly brought tears to my eyes.

3 weeks til he's unbanned, eh? Kind of fitting. He goes out in the 1st round like his team.

I only watched the last 5 mins of that game. Seeing Duncan go out like this is a bit odd. Even last season the dude had a 25-15 game in him. No more. He's regressed a lot on offense. I will miss him. Spurs have some hard decisions going forward, especially with Jefferson failing in the playoffs again.

Didn't see Heat-Celtics (was on the road). I'm surprised to see Celtics getting their butts kicked (for the most part) when stopping Bosh and Lebron not having a great scoring game. James Jones getting 25 was not on my expecting things to see list. I wonder how Celtics will adjust. Their help defense had to be the culprit as was the bench, I'm sure. They need that lane clogger.

Saw only the 1st Q of OKC-Mem. Individual inside defense is a big weakness for OKC, still. Game 2 is a must win for them. Lose and I don't think they recover. Also, dumbrook!

Glad I can finally get back to watching games. Tried to get tickets to tonight's Laker game but failed. :(

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
etiolate said:
Would help. So many people go to games that live outside of Sacramento (myself included). I guess some people from the Bay Area even go to Sacramento for concerts/events due to it being easier to navigate rather than bay area traffic.

Well fuck, I had a break down of matchups for the Lakers/Mavs game tonight, and my piece of shit computer crashed. Anyways straight to the point, Pau/Bynum/Odom will be the matchups to watch. They have all been more detrimental to the Mavs than Kobe has actually been in the regular season games. Slowing the Lakers frontcourt down will be key to the Mavs this series.

Dirk, and his fellow boys in blue are going to have to be on top of their game. Dirk averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds per game in the Lakers season series, but he'll need to probably score more than that for the Mavs to have a chance. Jet has sucked against the Lakers, so he'll need to have a series against the Lakers like he did last round. I just hope Steve Blake doesn't get into his head again...

This is going to be a very tough match up, and the only way the Mavs can win is if they can contain Bynum/Gasol (which is harder said than done), while having more than just Dirk score.

I predict Lakers win game 1, 106 to 95.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Cleveland is eerily similar to the saltiest stalker ex-girlfriend in the history of the universe
While the majority of Bin Laden's story had been well-documented to this point, I could not help but pick out certain items that not only raised an eyebrow individually, but even more so as they began to pile up.

The following are line-items quoted directly from the Times piece:

"Osama - the name means "young lion."

"He summoned reporters to a cave in Afghanistan when he needed to get his message out, but like the most controlling of C.E.O.'s he insisted on receiving written questions in advance."

"The world's most threatening terrorist, he was also known to submit to frequent dressings down by his mother."

"He created training camps for his foot soldiers, a media office to spread his word, and even "shuras," or councils, to approve his military plans and his fatwas. [...] Bin Laden had established new training camps in Sudan, but he became a man without a country"

"Bin Laden would say in retrospect that he was always aware who his enemies were."

"In an interview with Time magazine that December, he brushed aside President Clinton's threats against him, and referred to himself in the third person, as if recognizing or encouraging the notion that he had become larger than life."

After tweeting several of the passages above, I know that I'm not alone in the eerily similar references. Obviously, under no circumstances do I feel that the two men in question (the other, you can decide for yourself) are even mentionable within the same frame of mind when it comes to being a person. But as a Clevelander, as a sports fan who also happens to be a contributing editor on this very blog, I felt that I would be remiss if I did not share them with you all.

I don't think the Lakers will care too much about Dirk's scoring. I mean, they will try to stop him, but they won't overload to do it. The focus will be on making sure other guys (Terry and Kidd) don't get many wide open looks. And the Lakers really don't need to double Dirk.

Dallas doesn't rely much on dribble-penetration (only Barea who is short), so the Lakers should be able to defend the long shots well.

Sanjuro

Bin Laden has glossed over Celtics sports talk thankfully. If Pierce is actually suspended, then I'll fully believe in a fix like the rest of you.

giri

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Bin Laden has glossed over Celtics sports talk thankfully. If Pierce is actually suspended, then I'll fully believe in a fix like the rest of you.
PP shouldn't get suspended. What for? he did nothing. Even the T's were over the top (it wasn't even a foul on wade).

Zep

Banned
jjasper said:
Why not try Westbrook at SG and Maynor at PG (or have they and it fail miserably?) Pretty sure he played it at UCLA with Collison at point.

Im gonna guess he blows at moving without the ball. Also when he'd receive the ball on the wings, it would be no mans land for him as he's used to being at the top of the key going 1on1...That's a lot harder working from the wings and you could probably nullify(trap) him easier due to less space. Not saying he can't do it but that's something you work on in the offseason, not now.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Zep said:
Im gonna guess he blows at moving without the ball. Also when he'd receive the ball on the wings, it would be no mans land for him as he's used to being at the top of the key going 1on1...That's a lot harder working from the wings and you could probably nullify(trap) him easier due to less space. Not saying he can't do it but that's something you work on in the offseason, not now.

Honest question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PWuIr4KzRc Has Westbrook ever made a play like this? Rose does it pretty frequently.

giri

Zep said:
The do run it some times. Maynor is a good PG for stretches. I'm not sure how effective it is overall, but against denver, when they had both Felton and Lawson on the floor, you would see maynor & westbrook.

Nabs

SherrodbCSN
#Heat forward James Jone's tech has been rescinded, but the foul he committed has been upgraded to a flagrant-1. And Jermaine's flagrant foul has been downgraded to a personal foul.

heh

Jeff-DSA

I can't cheer for the Mavs, but I always have to cheer against the Lakers, so...GO NOT LAKERS!

I think I'll play StarCraft 2 tonight instead of watching basketball. Someone please compile the best meltdown posts of the night and I'll review them in the morning. Thanks.

giri

Grimm Fandango said:
Shit was so disgusting. Hawks are a much more respectable team
(I think?)
so I hope for a more clean series.
Lol, no. The hawks are thugs.

Nabs said:
SherrodbCSN
#Heat forward James Jone's tech has been rescinded, but the foul he committed has been upgraded to a flagrant-1. And Jermaine's flagrant foul has been downgraded to a personal foul.

heh

Seems fair, i never really saw a flagrant in jermaines, but jones was NEVER going for the ball. Though both are fairly week ass flagrants.

dIEHARD said:
lol thats why they were in the game? Should i link to a Derrick Rose free throw to show why the Bulls were in the game?
Oh, come on. Free throws again?
Yeah there were a few phantom calls for DRose but I think he earned them from taking all the cheap shots that he was getting throughout the series.

diehard

Fleer
pharmboy044 said:
Oh, come on. Free throws again?
Yeah there were a few phantom calls for DRose but I think he earned them from taking all the cheap shots that he was getting throughout the series.
As a Bulls fan you should know those "cheap shots" didn't even come close to the "Jordan rules".

Watch out Jeff, thats a no-no word.

giri said:
Lol, no. The hawks are thugs.

Ah okay. Don't know much about the Hawks aside from the few games we played this season. Most Bulls' fans know the shit the Pacers throw at us constantly. Playing at Conseco Fieldhouse is just hell.

diehard

Fleer
Grimm Fandango said:
Ah okay. Don't know much about the Hawks aside from the few games we played this season. Most Bulls' fans know the shit the Pacers throw at us constantly. Playing at Conseco Fieldhouse is just hell.
Yeah that was so terrible, i mean if you don't have more than 50% of the arena filled with Bulls fans then it's Hell.

ryutaro's mama said:
These types of plays were why the Bulls were in the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SafrIC0nfB4
I talked about it and you went and did it. That assist is Stockton-esque right there.

Jeff-DSA

Gigglepoo said:
I don't understand. How does throwing an elbow keep the score close?

Because Rose probably went on to shoot about 30% for the game after that, which was much worse than the 35% he was shooting before.

I really hope that they aren't whistle happy for Rose again in this series. That was brutal to watch. A 1 seed should be good enough to beat an 8 seed team without that crap. San Antonio didn't need a FT parade to easily defea--oh, hmmm.

giri

Jeff-DSA said:
Because Rose probably went on to shoot about 30% for the game after that, which was much worse than the 35% he was shooting before.

I really hope that they aren't whistle happy for Rose again in this series. That was brutal to watch. A 1 seed should be good enough to beat an 8 seed team without that crap. San Antonio didn't need a FT parade to easily defea--oh, hmmm.
Eh, rose was getting thugged the whole time, that was just a retarded video to link to.

I mean, it could be worse, you could shoot 30+ FT's in a loss to the grizz.

diehard

Fleer
He shot 21 free throws in the first game, if a guy is going to get that you might as well make him think twice about going into the paint. It worked btw, he chucked 3's, 37 attempts for the series.

giri

dIEHARD said:
He shot 21 free throws in the first game, if a guy is going to get that you might as well make him think twice about going into the paint. It worked btw, he started to chuck 3's.
I'm not saying what the pacers did was ineffective, i'm just saying, 90% of those foul calls were legit fouls where he got bodied and whacked.

verbum

Cheering for the Hawks tonight. Big win if they pull it off. If Al Horford is hitting his shots, we might pull it off. 39-5 at home for the Bulls makes it tough.

Yeah, I understand there were a lot of free throws for Rose and maybe that video wasn't the right one to link to but my point was the Pacers were playing like thugs (except for Granger).

Anyway, against Atlanta, as long as Hinrich is hurt, I don't see anyone stopping DRose.
I see this series only lasting 5.
verbum said:
Cheering for the Hawks tonight. Big win if they pull it off. If Al Horford is hitting his shots, we might pull it off. 39-5 at home for the Bulls makes it tough.
He lit up Noah in March for 31 so there is a really good chance of him having a good game. Hopefully Noah can hold him to less than 20 points otherwise it's gonna be a long night for the Bulls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom