• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

Branduil

Maybe I didn't write it the correct way. Should I say "Ignores everything except the arguments that supports only Mavs fans, looks at it from only one angle, and posts the same 5 videos over and over again year after year?"

I could always post the video where Wade commits the offensive foul in game 5 if that's what you want.

LOL how about no. That still belongs to kobe bryant. I hate the guy but his offensive set it on another level.

EDIT: And kobe has been doing the one legged jumper for ages.

6989739564_f22b735459_o.gif
i saw kobe do it once. but you've been watching the lakers for ages i guess. I've seen KD do it like 5 times this season so far.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I can't think of too many instances where Durant shoots his team completely out of the game. He's got all the skills in the world but he just doesn't give a fuck most nights.

Branduil

I can't think of too many instances where Durant shoots his team completely out of the game. He's got all the skills in the world but he just doesn't give a fuck most nights.

He shot 13-31 last night. It's impossible to shoot your team out of the game when the refs will gift you 20 points.

Does Kobe have the Dirk one-legged fadeaway? His dunking ability is also not what it used to be.

Yes, he has the dirk one-legged fadeaway and I think Durant tried to learn it from him this summer.

Kobe clearly has the most offensive skills in the NBA, he's just not capable of being as efficient as guys like Durant because Durant's length + athleticism allows him to get to the rim at a ridiculous rate (that and he takes some bad shots). I also don't think jumping higher on dunks is a separating skill.

Both sides are going crazy here. Durant is much more skilled these days than being solely a jump shooter. Durant has added a mid-post game and is much improved off the dribble and with the PnR. He has a very good offensive arsenal (I think Melo has more in his arsenal as well, though). Lebron no longer solely relies on bull-rushing and jump shots, either. He's learned how to post up smaller guys and play a little bit better off ball.

Some people are stuck in what these guys used to be and refuse to admit they've improved significantly.

I also don't mind Durant's fouls much. It's mostly a product of his length + athleticism. He gets to the paint and it's really tough not to foul him with those freakish arms. Most of the time Durant is legit fouled.

I think it's different than Lebron whose bull-rushes are not defensive fouls when the other player is backing away. I think that's a ridiculous call that needs to be changed (Westbrook gets this one too) back to what it once was (nothing or offensive foul). The offensive player is initiating all the contact. (this is not a problem of Lebron getting superstar calls but rather the refs universally fucking this up)

But in general, the notion that superstars get all the calls and whining about it is dumb. Superstars get the calls because they get fouled because they are amazing at basketball and put the defense in spots that make them get fouled. It is not because the NBA decided to put them on the line. Getting to the line a lot is part of being a superstar.

Branduil

The funny thing is that Collison has played really, really well for the Mavs, but they still refuse to play him in crunch time for whatever reason.

Because Rick Carlisle.

You make a mistake in crunch time as a young player? To the doghouse with you.

You make a mistake in crunch time as a veteran? It's a sign of effort.

Cloudy

Banned
KD has the most diverse offensive game in the league, and it really isn't close. He can score from anywhere in a variety of ways, and his passing is continuing to improve.

KD's game is still primarily 3s, fts and drives. In that order lol.

No one has Kobe's offensive skillset and shot-making ability (Not even Jordan). He'd be as efficient as Bron and KD if he got the ridiculous calls they do :p

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Shved's out, Pek's out, Dante Cunningham is sick, and the Wolves are bringing up some dude from the DLeague named Chris Johnson.

I have to laugh so I don't cry.

Want to guess what team Chris Johnson played for last year?

heyday
No one has Kobe's offensive skillset and shot-making ability (Not even Jordan). He'd be as efficient as Bron and KD if he got the ridiculous calls they do :p

Because Kobe never got calls back in his heyday? KD is efficient because of his shooting and the unique abilities that he possesses at his height. When has Kobe ever been as efficient as KD in his prime? KD definitely runs the floor better than Kobe too.

He did once upon a time get the ridiculous calls they do. Now he's old and nothing more than a long 2 point chucking machine

Lmao brandy is one of the whiniest sour pusses I've ever seen. Every other posy is him/her bitching about something else. I don't know too many mavs fans that don't admit they choked in 2006, regardless of what happened in game 5. Especially since they got their payback.

Cloudy

Banned
He did once upon a time get the ridiculous calls they do. Now he's old and nothing more than a long 2 point chucking machine

Kobe has never got fts the way KD and LeBron do. His highest rate was 10.2 FTA on 27.2 FGA. Durant is at 9.1 this year on 18.5. (He's had 10.2 on 20.3 in the past)

JRue probably has been good enough individually to make the all-star team, but I hate the idea of the PG of the third worst offense in the NBA (probably second worst now that the Wizards are healthy) making the all-star team. I feel like PGs should be able to elevate their offense past that even if their teammates are not very good.

This is a stupid debate. Al Jefferson has the most post moves in the NBA , it doesn't mean he is the best.

Al and Millsap probably would be involved in a lot more stupid debates if they were in big markets with how skilled and clutch they are though.

I don't know if Durant's game is really that diverse in terms of setup moves, but his size and athleticism are overwhelming enough to get a good shot whenever and his touch is awesome everywhere so he makes shots at a historic level.

Style doesn't matter that much compared to effectiveness.

Cloudy

Banned
Kobe had 63 dunks in 2005-06. Durant has 64 already this season.

Durant has always attacked the basket directly more.

This is silly. I would bet a LOT of those dunks are fastbreak dunks off steals. Lakers have never been a fastbreak team in the Kobe era.

Also, you can't use dunks as a metric for aggressiveness at the rim. For example, a guy like Rondo probably has more points in the paint than most guards but he rarely dunks.

The only difference btw. prime Kobe and today's superstars is that he always attacked the basket with the intent to actually score the ball so he rarely initiated the contact. These days, guys are rewarded with fts for blatant offensive fouls if they're a big enough name..

Top Bottom