• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

This draft blows, but I think Nerlens Noel actually is close to the level of a #1 overall pick.

Should probably go closer to third in a normal draft, but he seems to have actual star ability unlike everyone else.

Too bad his teammates suck.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'm not wrong though am I? There's a ton of rich cats that pay for it because they don't have the time to spend chasing women when they are stacking paper. You don't see their spots being blown up.

What do you expect from a guy who looks like he should be in overalls and most likely has a tire fence around his yard?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Tough game here for the celts, but necessary one. Changes need to be made here, and winning these garbage games does nothing for them. Kyrie is a beast.

Pimpwerx

Wait...Harden dropped 20 large on a model? Did he rent for a month or something? That's way too much money. If he's blowing cash like that, I expect him to be on an episode of Broke in 10 years. There is no ROI for pussy. PEACE.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What a monumentally stupid play by Rondo with 2 mins left. Changed the game. Lil Kyrie better make the ASG.

What makes you say that? When was the last time the worst team got the #1 pick?

The odds are only 25%, but it's still better than the 20 and 15% odds you get for being the 2nd and 3rd worst team. The last team with the worst record to win was Orlando with Dwight, which coincidentally was the same year we (re)entered the league.

Kyrie drops 40? Dude just needs to get a handle on those TOs, which I'm sure are probably explainable given the "talent" around him (don't get a chance to watch the Cavs play much), and some of the off-shooting nights, but dude is wow. To think, the draft experts thought maybe he'd be an allstar a time or two. A ceiling well below John Wall.

Pkaz01

Just woke up and holy shit kyrie 40??

Edit - seriously they had him below wall? Thats why i dont give a shit that this is a supposed down year shabazz still gna put in work

charsace

What do you expect from a guy who looks like he should be in overalls and most likely has a tire fence around his yard?

I would expect his agency to help him? After the first time these type of things started getting out there about Harden one would think his agent would step in and school him. Harden's image makes the dude money too.

Kyrie drops 40? Dude just needs to get a handle on those TOs, which I'm sure are probably explainable given the "talent" around him (don't get a chance to watch the Cavs play much), and some of the off-shooting nights, but dude is wow. To think, the draft experts thought maybe he'd be an allstar a time or two. A ceiling well below John Wall.

Highly skilled players like Kyrie always get underrated. Skills don't deteriorate, athleticism does.

kyrie-irving-instagram-photo.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I would expect his agency to help him? After the first time these type of things started getting out there about Harden one would think his agent would step in and school him. Harden's image makes the dude money too.
And he looks just like a black Hillbilly shit this helps his image

Edit - seriously they had him below wall?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/players/_/id/19542/kyrie-irving

Positives
  • Pure point guard
  • Shows good balance between scoring and passing
  • Good athlete with excellent quickness
  • Excellent penetrator to the basket
  • Has good range on his jump shot
  • Can be a lockdown defender
  • High basketball IQ

Negatives
  • A good athlete, but not in the Derrick Rose/John Wall pantheon
  • Only played a handful of college games this year
  • He's good at many things, is he great at any one thing?

Positives
  • Pure point guard
  • High basketball IQ

Negatives

Lol at the negatives

You give these athletes too much credit. A lot of them are dumbasses.

Flash

i remember a lot of ppl saying that he would be a bust, that he'll be mediocre, etc. I didn't keep up with the prospects that year so I just read the scouting reports before the draft night.

His game is smooth as hell, glad that he's having success.

Positives
  • Pure point guard
  • High basketball IQ

Negatives

lol, someone forgot to actually watch game tape of him. Even after being out for most of the season he came right in and scored at will against Arizona in the tournament. If Williams had not gone HAM in the first half he would have won the game for them. Dude is the best scorer to come into the league since Durant (Rose is close though).

You guys read this interview?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...oward/1852415/

It's with SVG, a pretty good read. He talks about how the Dwightmare went down, the Lakers, future coaching possibilities, and he calls out Stern directly for blocking him from getting hired by ESPN.
nice interview. Is that stuff about the microphones around benches for Melo true? lol. Dwight is a beeeeeetttccchhhh. SVG come to the heat, you coach home games, spo coaches away games. SVG got big balls.

liked these parts.

Q: Most overrated player today?

A: Jeremy Lin (of the New York Knicks). He's not a guy who should be third in the (All-Star) voting. I never thought (Nets point guard) Deron Williams was overrated but right now people still look at him as one of the top two or three point guards in the league. He hasn't been that (in recent seasons).

Q: Most underrated?

A: I don't know if he's underrated but (the Nets') Joe Johnson is underappreciated.

Lol at the negatives

http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/rounds/_/year/2011/round/1

Irving was the right choice for the Cavs. He's going to be a very good NBA point guard. He has very few flaws to his game. While he isn't great at one thing, there is almost no chance he fails. He might never be a superstar, but he plays a critical position and he'll help the Cavs right away. Derrick Williams would have been a good selection, too, but I think Irving was just less risky.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...y?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftGrades-110624

Analysis: The Cavs got the best player in the draft in Irving. There was a temptation to get carried away by taking Derrick Williams No. 1 and then trying to score a player like Brandon Knight at No. 4. But the Cavs kept their eye on the ball and took the best player available.

Will Irving be a star? Maybe not. But he's going to be a starting point guard for a long time in the league and has enough upside to get to a star level someday.

I did think the Cavs reached just a little bit for Thompson. We might debate for years whether the Cavs would've been better off taking Williams or Knight ahead of Irving and Thompson. But I think history will be kind to the Cavs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Tiers-110616

Ranking draft prospects by tiers

Tier 1
None

Note: This category is usually reserved for guys who are surefire All-Stars/franchise players. Last year, John Wall was the only guy in this tier. In 2009, Blake Griffin was the guy here. This year, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams are at the top of the draft, but neither guy is projected as a franchise player or a surefire All-Star.

Tier 2
Kyrie Irving (draft range: 1 to 2)
Derrick Williams (1 to 3)
Note: Irving and Williams are the top two players on the boards of the teams I spoke with, regardless of team needs. Both players are projected to be starters and potential All-Stars. While it looks like Irving has the best shot of going No. 1, there's still an outside chance it could be Williams.

I grant that it's hard to project a player, but dude was amazing even in his short college career. He was unstoppable.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
what were the things that you didn't like about his game?

He didn't look like a #1 overall athlete and the guy barely played at all in college

i thought that he'd be good eventually, but that he'd be waaay behind the curve because jumping from hs to nba with just about a year off in between is madness.

DominoKid

The whole kyrie wont be a star narrative is just lost on me.

I shat bricks when i saw his highlights. I know a star when i see one.

I feared for the future of UNC and I rarely feel like that. Luckily he got hurt...i prayed for that shit because we had NO shot of beating duke w/ kyrie healthy.

Top Bottom