• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

LordKasual

Banned
Is Gladio supposed to be a fair bit older than Noctis?

He looks like about 18 and Noctis about 12 in Brotherhood

The ages of the characters in this game seems super inconsistent.

Noctis and Prompto look about 19-21. Ignis looks about 24-26. Gladio feels about 24-27. It's not only their appearance, they behave as though there's a generational gap there.

Just about the only time everyone actually looks close to the same age are the flashbacks where Noctis is in highschool.

Noctis and Prompto look about 19-21. Ignis looks about 23-26. Gladio feels about 23-27. It's not only their appearance, they behave as though there's a generational gap there.

Just about the only time everyone actually looks close to the same age are the flashbacks where Noctis is in highschool.

Gladio is the son of a high guard and raised his sister by himself. Of course he feels older.

Noctis and Prompto look about 19-21. Ignis looks about 24-26. Gladio feels about 24-27. It's not only their appearance, they behave as though there's a generational gap there.

How so? In that picture Noctis is 12 and Gladio is 15 going on 16. Of course Gladio would look much larger.

Gladio is the son of a high guard and raised his sister by himself. Of course he feels older.

I'm sorry...?

Mailbox

Noct and Prompto ARE 20, Ignis is 22 so not too far off from your estimate and Gladio is 23, so again, not too far off from your estimate. The only one who seems to act in a "generational gap" way is Ignis, but that's pretty much explained by his relationship with Noct as being basically a nanny. As for Gladio (i assume you were including him as well in this whole gen-gap thing), his actions and relationship to Noct mirror that of a tutor who has become a friend. Acting friendly but also seemingly "above" Noct as a mentor type.

Age versus social acting can be way more tricky to distinguish than you might think. I once knew a guy in one of my Uni classes who I became good acquaintances with and was part of my study group. Found out near the end of the semester that he was 29 (i was 20 at the time) and it down right shocked me. Though he was 20 or maybe 22 at MOST. Despite being older than my brother (who was 24 at the time), I didn't see this guy in nearly the same way.

How people act towards others and how people perceive others is more based on context rather than age differential. Oddly enough, the brotherhood anime showed that very well.

Koozek

German fans can get their hands on it this month at a few cities.

-
[–]Awishan
Most important question, you like it?

[–]TheVanishedOne
I really like it. The atmosphere overall is so beautiful and also the behaviour between the boys. Prompto was complaining his arms would fall of and Gladiolus told him he could rip them off. Also they were teasing Noctis. Awesome group. Nothing like a boyband.

[–]Awishan
Have you seen the cutscene with young Noct and young Luna? What they were talking about?

[–]TheVanishedOne
They talked about the book and the flower in there. Luna wants Noct to take it with him and write something in or put a flower in it and bring it back to Luna. The scene looked graphically absolutely stunning. Very well made.

-
[–]Sakata-Gintoki
So does it run smoothly now and how long did you play?

[–]TheVanishedOne
The video runs smoothly even in a battle with about 10 - 15 enemies. The audio is a bit stuttering but maybe it was because of so many consoles or a headset problem. I played nearly 4 hours straight story and only got to the start of chapter 3.

-
[–]Shell_Execute
So is the fighting decent then? Or is it frustrating?

If so, does the story / environment / character development make for it? I'm thinking about games like the Witcher or Skyrim that have kind of lousy controls and fighting but make up for it with awesome world building and storylines...

[–]TheVanishedOne
The fighting is good. Its fun to fight. The combos etc. are really nice to look at. The story, enviroment is also beautiful. Cant say much about char. development yet.

-
[–]MadCriminal
Now that you've played the game for 4 hours, would you consider buying a ps4pro for FFXV?

[–]TheVanishedOne
I know FFXV has the option for that pro-mod. I saw the it. But I dont think it needs it. The game itself is a beauty and hos no framerate problems at all. I was fighting a group of about 10 - 15 enemies and the game still ran smooth.Personally I wouldnt buy one. The regular version is almost perfect.

-
[–]Gagantous

Is the response time improved from Platinum Demo, where every input had a ~800ms delay? It made it impossible to dodge attacks without guessing ahead.

[–]TheVanishedOne

Nah they react immediately now. The controls are reliable and good to use.

Source.

LordKasual

Banned
How so? In that picture Noctis is 12 and Gladio is 15 going on 16. Of course Gladio would look much larger.

Oh wow, for some reason 12 and 15 feel much closer together than they should, but I forgot 3-4 years is significant around that age.

Noct and Prompto ARE 20, Ignis is 22 so not too far off from your estimate and Gladio is 23, so again, not too far off from your estimate. The only one who seems to act in a "generational gap" way is Ignis, but that's pretty much explained by his relationship with Noct as being basically a nanny. As for Gladio (i assume you were including him as well in this whole gen-gap thing), his actions and relationship to Noct mirror that of a tutor who has become a friend. Acting friendly but also seemingly "above" Noct as a mentor type.

Age versus social acting can be way more tricky to distinguish than you might think. I once knew a guy in one of my Uni classes who I became good acquaintances with and was part of my study group. Found out near the end of the semester that he was 29 (i was 20 at the time) and it down right shocked me. Though he was 20 or maybe 22 at MOST. Despite being older than my brother (who was 24 at the time), I didn't see this guy in nearly the same way.

How people act towards others and how people perceive others is more based on context rather than age differential. Oddly enough, the brotherhood anime showed that very well.

Yeah it really only feels like that when they're showing Noctis as a child. The behavioral differences aren't significant enough to raise eyebrows in the actual game, at least not after watching brotherhood and seeing how Ignis and Gladio were back then.

I fucking loved Brotherhood, but i feel like it's a pity that we probably wont be getting to experience any of that in-game. One of my favorite things about FF7 is how it managed to set aside time to let you taste the important parts of the past.

But Brotherhood is free and accessible so it's no biggie

[–]TheVanishedOne
The video runs smoothly even in a battle with about 10 - 15 enemies. The audio is a bit stuttering but maybe it was because of so many consoles or a headset problem. I played nearly 4 hours straight story and only got to the start of chapter 3.

[–]TheVanishedOne
I know FFXV has the option for that pro-mod. I saw the it. But I dont think it needs it. The game itself is a beauty and hos no framerate problems at all. I was fighting a group of about 10 - 15 enemies and the game still ran smooth.Personally I wouldnt buy one. The regular version is almost perfect.

I really hope that this guy has good eyes for frame drops. Its literally the only thing that has me worried now.

Anyway, thanks for posting this Koozek. You are doing the Lord's work :)

LordKasual

Banned
I really hope that this guy has good eyes for frame drops. Its literally the only thing that has me worried now.

Well to be fair, there were tons of enemies on the screen in Episode Duscae too. It was usually the particle effects and LoD (with the camera distance) that tanked the framerate.

Same as in Platinum Demo, there was only one Iron Giant at the end, but it was really the particles and alpha effects that sent the framerate into hell.

Rappy

I posted this earlier to someone else, of course those vids don't show all situations and later in the game past those previews:
To those worried about the frame rate, just watch the hours of direct capture gameplay vids of the latest preview build and see for yourself. Of course, feeling it is much more effective in determining how big an issue it is, but you should still be able to get an idea of how it is if you really are that frame rate sensitive (I like to think I am). I'll be hoping for the Pro version to be completely stable, but normal version does not seem like it has big frame rate issues (for a console anyway).

And context matters. The video this person is likely referring to is footage spliced into podcast/live person interview https://youtu.be/5NwEYujEqdU, and no way someone should even be asking the exact same thing if they were referring to even the horribly compressed Gamespot gameplay videos. I guess it doesn't help that Schreier's response was pretty vague also (like you couldn't say when these hitches occurred even in a general sense besides camera movement? i.e. tons of enemies on screen, water areas, etc).

Socivol

The thing about Gladio's age is they aged him down. In the Duscae demo Noctis says something about him being old and Gladio says something along the lines of you'll know how it feels in 5 years. I think the official ages have Gladio only being 3 years older though.

Well to be fair, there were tons of enemies on the screen in Episode Duscae too. It was usually the particle effects and LoD (with the camera distance) that tanked the framerate.

Same as in Platinum Demo, there was only one Iron Giant at the end, but it was really the particles and alpha effects that sent the framerate into hell.
Well, that's true. But I guess I assumed that if he had fought 10-12 enemies then he must of have moved the camera a lot and used magic with particle effects. So if he still didn't saw frame drops (and had a good eye for seeing them) then it might mean that devs have ironed those drops as well.

I posted this earlier to someone else, of course those vids don't show all situations and later in the game past those previews:
I've seen them and while the frame drops aren't no where near as bad as Platinum demo they are still there and noticeable. It looks playable to me in its current state (as in it's not as bad as Platinum Demo to literally give me headache) but it'll probably affect my enjoyment of the game.

I was kinda hoping that this guy maybe had played a newer build than the one we've seen in recent previews.

Took a look at the link Koozek posted with the guy who played the game
[–]Gagantous

Is the response time improved from Platinum Demo, where every input had a ~800ms delay? It made it impossible to dodge attacks without guessing ahead.

[–]TheVanishedOne

Nah they react immediately now. The controls are reliable and good to use.

OMG! Thank you! Thank you soooo much for fixing this SE.

Rappy

Schreier gives a a few more thoughts on FFXV around the 25:00min mark in this week's Kotaku Splitscreen:

http://kotaku.com/podcast-skyrim-is-still-great-1788555035

Mostly about things we already know or have been talked about but gives a bit more details about things like how the story is told and general flow of combat. Kinda some spoiler stuff from Ch 1-2 story, but not really and not really anything huge if you've already been following other previews. I'm personally glad to hear that the game seems moderately or "surprisingly" challenging even at the normal difficulty, and it does look that way from previewers' vids but I can't help but think that some might write off the game because of that (if they don't get into/learn an efficient combat flow). One of the main things I liked from Lightning Returns was some of the extreme difficulty of the fights.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think this thread should be renamed Final Fantasy Pre-Hype Thread

Gbraga

Schreier gives a a few more thoughts on FFXV around the 25:00min mark in this week's Kotaku Splitscreen:

Mostly about things we already know or have been talked about but gives a bit more details about things like how the story is told and general flow of combat. Kinda some spoiler stuff from Ch 1-2 story, but not really and not really anything huge if you've already been following other previews. I'm personally glad to hear that the game seems moderately or "surprisingly" challenging even at the normal difficulty, and it does look that way from previewers' vids but I can't help but think that some might write off the game because of that (if they don't get into/learn an efficient combat flow). One of the main things I liked from Lightning Returns was some of the extreme difficulty of the fights.

Only imagining some of the end-game optional fights... IDFJSAOIJOIAfjF

I remember Tabata saying a while back that there were some areas only accessible with the flying Regalia. I hope that's still the case, and it's an optional dungeon full of tough shit.

Philippo

What do you want from the Leviathan fight?

What we saw in the E3 2013 trailer, but i fear that's never going to happen: current-gen graphics + action combat + giant monster + destroyed buildings flying all over would probably melt a PS4.

But at the same time the Titan boss fight looks super barebones, and i hope the Leviathan one is a bit more engaging.

What we saw in the E3 2013 trailer, but i fear that's never going to happen: current-gen graphics + action combat + giant monster + destroyed buildings flying all over would probably melt a PS4.

But at the same time the Titan boss fight looks super barebones, and i hope the Leviathan one is a bit more engaging.

I found the hand fight itself underwhelming yeah, but the bits before it was great imo. Loved the bit where Noctis's running away from the hand while it destroys everything in its way.

R7tvUtD.gif

The bit where Noctis's teleport into Titan's punch was badass too.

wLblOIf.gif

I mean, it's not comparable to E3 2013 obviously, but I still think the Titan fight is a technical achievement, considering this's an open world game.

that looks like a scan...

I don't think it is, but I'll delete it just in case.

Philippo

I found the hand fight itself underwhelming yeah, but the bits before it was great imo. Loved the bit where Noctis's running away from the hand while it destroys everything in its way.

R7tvUtD.gif

wLblOIf.gif

I mean, it's not comparable to E3 2013 obviously, but I still think the Titan fight is a technical achievement, considering this's an open world game.

Oh yeah some bits looks cool, but the actual fight is basically hit titans arm, hit niflheim soldiers, hit titans arm, throw nlizzard pokeballs at titans arm then break titans arm with a single QTE.

Gbraga

R7tvUtD.gif

wLblOIf.gif

Agreed, and I consider all of this to be part of the fight.

The game goes out of its way to become a linear scripted setpiece just for the Astral encounter, this isn't just regular open world gameplay, it's all part of the Titan setpiece.

Socivol

This has slight spoilers about Gentiana FYI. I didn't mind them but some people might.

DrBretto

Banned
Oh yeah some bits looks cool, but the actual fight is basically hit titans arm, hit niflheim soldiers, hit titans arm, throw nlizzard pokeballs at titans arm then break titans arm with a single QTE.

There are enough rumors out there of people from SE telling fans at events in a hush hush manor that there is more to that fight that I'm still not 100% convinced that's the whole thing. It was easier to believe that it was all bupkis when I tracked down what appeared to be a single, unofficial source, but I've found now 3 separate claims to match.

jschreier

There are enough rumors out there of people from SE telling fans at events in a hush hush manor that there is more to that fight that I'm still not 100% convinced that's the whole thing. It was easier to believe that it was all bupkis when I tracked down what appeared to be a single, unofficial source, but I've found now 3 separate claims to match.

There's a bunch of cool set-piece stuff before the fight but no, destroying his arm is the entire fight.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

R7tvUtD.gif

wLblOIf.gif

Agreed, and I consider all of this to be part of the fight.

The game goes out of its way to become a linear scripted setpiece just for the Astral encounter, this isn't just regular open world gameplay, it's all part of the Titan setpiece.
Open world games have been doing set pieces for a very long time now. Especially the sort seen in the titan fight, (linear running sequences). I mean that was the majority of the GTAV campaign.

Open world games have been doing set pieces for a very long time now. Especially the sort seen in the titan fight, (linear running sequences). I mean that was the majority of the GTAV campaign.

Not really. Not with destructible environments and not in this scale. I don't remember running away from a titanic hand that's destroying everything it touches including the actual path I'm running on in an open world RPG before. Even sandbox games like GTA V, which are much smaller in scale anyway, don't go this far in their set-pieces.

btw I'm sorry about my English, I know it's not very good. Hope my posts are not too difficult to read :p.

DrBretto

Banned
There's a bunch of cool set-piece stuff before the fight but no, destroying his arm is the entire fight.

I'm not talking about the pre-review copies. I was already on board with that being all there is on those demos. The theory would be that it was cut from there as well, but would be present in the main game.

I did have one problem with that theory, though. That the full review copy you'll get will work off of your existing save is kind of a fly in the ointment because you'd think if there was more to it, then they'd want you to see it.

And I'm definitely not arguing that people should believe it, either. I'm just saying it's enough to keep the door slightly open for the possibility. The rumors are barely in rumor territory, it's just that it's three seemingly separate sources saying the same thing. Juust enough to be curious is all.

I'm not talking about the pre-review copies. I was already on board with that being all there is on those demos. The theory would be that it was cut from there as well, but would be present in the main game.

I did have one problem with that theory, though. That the full review copy you'll get will work off of your existing save is kind of a fly in the ointment because you'd think if there was more to it, then they'd want you to see it.

And I'm definitely not arguing that people should believe it, either. I'm just saying it's enough to keep the door slightly open for the possibility. The rumors are barely in rumor territory, it's just that it's three seemingly separate sources saying the same thing. Juust enough to be curious is all.

Yea this whole thing seems a little strange.

If jschreier can confirm that
the end of the battle --> actually obtaining the ability to summon Titan is smooth and not choppy/awkward it would seem that's all there is to it and nothing is missing. I mean does the party/Noctis even acknowledge the fact that he just obtained an astral power?

Styles

Has there been an enemy in an open world game that is on the same scale as the Adamantoise we've seen from XV? Just curious.

And on that note is XV even an "open world" game? Or is it just huge zones that are linked seamlessly together?

Koozek

Not really. Not with destructible environments and not in this scale. I don't remember running away from a titanic hand that's destroying everything it touches including the actual path I'm running on in an open world RPG before. Even sandbox games like GTA V, which are much smaller in scale anyway, don't go this far in their set-pieces.

btw I'm sorry about my English, I know it's not very good. Hope my posts are not too difficult to read :p.
Wait, is this supposed to be that meme where you speak perfectly fine English and say "sorry for bad english"? :D If not: nothing wrong with yours, it's good!

I'm pretty sure destroying the hand is the entire fight. There's no logic in giving the press an incomplete version, especially since the full game uses the same save file.

Wait, is this supposed to be that meme where you speak perfectly fine English and say "sorry for bad english"? :D If not: nothing wrong with yours, it's good!

lol. Thanks. I was actually concerned xD.

Has there been an enemy in an open world game that is on the same scale as the Adamantoise we've seen from XV? Just curious.

And on that note is XV even "open world" game? Or is it just huge zones that link seamlessly together?
If the frame rate doesn't tank when fighting that thing I'll call it a technical achievement no Matter how many ppl will hand wave it away

DrBretto

Banned

the end of the battle --> actually obtaining the ability to summon Titan is smooth and not choppy/awkward it would seem that's all there is to it and nothing is missing. I mean does the party/Noctis even acknowledge the fact that he just obtained an astral power?

The only thing that looked weird to me, and this is from the Polygon video, which looked like the most complete one, was that the dialog sounded like they were getting ready for the next stage before the fight just ended.
But, honestly, I could be totally overthinking it, too. I don't actually care that much to be totally truthful. It's just these weird little things that activate my "hmm..." meter is all. Just enough to leave the door kind of open.

Edit: But the last time I had this nagging feeling was after L_Spiro "debunked" the 4chan rumors and my instincts were right then.

jschreier

No. It definitely feels like there's a scene missing. But I'm skeptical that the final build is going to add anything, based on what I've played. I'll check when I get final code, though.

No. It definitely feels like there's a scene missing. But I'm skeptical that the final build is going to add anything, based on what I've played. I'll check when I get final code, though.

And the plot thickens! Lol...

Who knows at this point. Guess we just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom