• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Nintendo DS bullshit goes in here

human5892

Queen of Denmark
If the DS contains a built-in organizer I will cry with happiness.

If not, I'll still be happy with whatever third party makes a decent one first...but not as happy.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ds4.jpg

:eek those cases are getting me hyped!

In all goodness, I just want me some Metroid Hunters (I really hope takes out the "Prime") more than any single DS title. I can't wait to get some hi-res movies of that in action.

I also hope that they keep those clamshell cases for the US. I'm betting they will, as the carts are so much smaller than the GBA. They'd be quite easy to lose.

Considering that we're getting the DS first, and we haven't seen one pic that makes it look like the U.S. DS cases will be different, I think our cases will be the same.

Sriram

I hope the DS has an english language option so I can import from japan instead. How likely is it that this will be the case?

DS is definitely going to be hot. Forget about all the school kids who buy one to get in on some picto-chat.

I can see this going over with older people too who want to sit back and poke away at a game of Madden.

The other day someone on the Gamefaqs message board posted an email they sent to Nintendo asking about region lock, and Nintendo replied back saying there will be no lockout. I can't vouch for the posters' credibility, but it looked genuine enough.

olimario

Banned
I hate how everything is merged into this sticky.
I can see having one during a major event, but daily NDS news should be able to have its own topic.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Anyway to keep a thread intact when you merge it? Sorting by post time makes this more disorganized when there was no sticky.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Society said:
Anyway to keep a thread intact when you merge it? Sorting by post time makes this more disorganized when there was no sticky.
Nope - of course, if you'd put all the non-game specific NDS info in this topic as requested earlier, that wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps exponentially stepping up certain measures will result in greater compliance. We'll see.

Hello, I'm in UK and looking to place some cash down on a DS and Mario 64 for next month. Any places that are recommended?

I just checked DVDboxoffice and they don't seem to have updated the DS page. Is 250 the confirmed Canadian price?

Anyhow, any tips, pointers or advice then hit me up. Cheers.

"I just checked DVDboxoffice and they don't seem to have updated the DS page. Is 250 the confirmed Canadian price?"

No way in hell. It'll be somewhere around $189. Wal-Mart sells Xbox here for $179, and that's the same price as the DS in the states. ($149)

DVD boxoffice also has GBASP at $139.99, even though it is $99 everywhere else, and Pokemon Fire/Leaf at $57.99, when it is $43.99 at Walmart. Don't trust their prices, for they suck.

Grubdog

Banned
olimario said:
I hate how everything is merged into this sticky.
I can see having one during a major event, but daily NDS news should be able to have its own topic.
I agree.
bishoptl said:
Deal with it.
Ugh, we shouldn't have to, what's your problem anyway, you're the only one that wants this to be a sticky thread, and because you have the power, you do it, despite everyone else being against it. This sucks.

The DS will be 199.95$ Canadian, I checked the press release on nintendo.ca, also the games will "be as low as" 39.95$, which is better than the 49.95$ you usually have to pay for new GBA releases.

neptunes

An IGN Message Board User (..:lol) claims to have recently called his local Gamestop asking when they will be receiving Nintendo DS Public Kiosks, the Gamestop employee claims to have recently talked to an Nintendo representative, who told her Gamestop (and probably other major retailers) would be getting them within a week from now ( which will be the 20th of October).

http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=69676823

Anyone gamestop employees care to confirm this (or check tomorrow?)

Miburou

Since the Spiderman 2 example has been brought up, how practical is moving your right hand away from the face buttons and to the touch screen (or worse picking up the stylus for more precision) in the middle of an action game? What about shifting your eyes from the top screen where the action is to the lower screen? And it's got to be pretty awkward holding and balancing the DS with only your left hand.

I can see this being not much of a deal when playing a turn-based game with the DS resting on a table, but with an action game and while holding it in you hands is a different matter.

Memles

Date of Lies said:
The DS will be 199.95$ Canadian, I checked the press release on nintendo.ca, also the games will "be as low as" 39.95$, which is better than the 49.95$ you usually have to pay for new GBA releases.

So...like GBA games, really. No big surprise there.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Grubdog said:
Ugh, we shouldn't have to, what's your problem anyway, you're the only one that wants this to be a sticky thread, and because you have the power, you do it, despite everyone else being against it. This sucks.
sq-cry-me-a-river-kiss-jive.jpg

kpop100 said:
And there's a reason why that control scheme was last used 20 years ago in a console.

well it's not exactly convenient to have to use a seperate plastic overlay with each game. That's one reason why.

Miburou

Actually, IGN does mention that the system is heavy, and that most people will probably "be using their laps or desks to prop the system when using the stylus".

Brofist

krypt0nian said:
Please enlighten us then...

Uhh because the Intellivision method of control wasn't exactly the most conventional or practical method of controlling, and there are many different schemes that have been tried and used since that are better? I think it's funny that the whole idea of the original NES controller was to make a simplified method of control that anyone could pick up.

sasimirobot

Message(#6851-000366-4518\3664518)

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

It may interest you to know that the Nintendo DS will be a universal system that can be played anywhere on the planet. Further, it can play games purchased anywhere. Please note, however, that accessories purchased in different parts of the world may not be compatible with the Nintendo DS you purchase.

I hope you find this information useful!

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Mitch Crim

Cool. Now I can import from America for a change!

"On a related subject, we're planning try integrating the DS with movie theaters. By using the system's wireless functionality, users that bring their DS and GBA Pokémon cartridge to designated theaters will be able to download game data that will be distributed during certain scenes of the next Pokémon movie. In one scene where the main characters meet a new Pokémon, that character's data will be sent to their cartridges. This will be the first time such a distribution scheme has been used anywhere in the world."

That is just fuckn neat!

Top Bottom