• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 5S | OT |

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
SO FAST. ENJOY THE WAIT NERDS.

New Spotlight is great too. Kind of bummed you can't mute the shutter in Japan. No more 盗撮 for me (._. ) (kidding)

subrock

SO FAST. ENJOY THE WAIT NERDS.

New Spotlight is great too. Kind of bummed you can't mute the shutter in Japan. No more 盗撮 for me (._. ) (kidding)

Say fucking what?!? I would throw that shit out the window. Is it illegal because of people trying to take stealth creep show photos?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I just spent 40 minutes calling different stores in Sweden... turns out, no one knows shit. They say it'll be released before the end of the year...

Fuck Sweden, what a lousy excuse of a country.

ramyeon

Wow, is this really a problem?
Yes, it's the same in South Korea too. So that article is kinda off in that they say Apple manufactures special iPhones with shutter sounds that can't be disabled for Japan alone, I'd assume there are at least few other countries that have similar regulations as well.

Prozel

So I just spent 40 minutes calling different stores in Sweden... turns out, no one knows shit. They say it'll be released before the end of the year...

Fuck Sweden, what a lousy excuse of a country.

Michael Beah, CEO of Humac (a store selling Apple stuff in Denmark) said he expected the 5S the reach Denmark mid-October. If that's right I assume the same goes for Sweden.

http://www.mobilsiden.dk/iphone-5s-og-5c-et-bud-pa-danske-datoer-og-priser,lid.28765/

Souce is Danish though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Anno

16gb silver ordered. Don't feel like doing the line thing this time around, and shipping times are still slow. Gold on the other hand is apparently in short supply.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You can delete the shutter sound file with PhoneView.

Does this require jailbreak?

Also yeah it's clearly anti pervert measure. I think it's the same in South Korea. I just don't like how loud the shutter is though not trying to be a pervert, I swear!

There are apps that let you mute the sound but not as accessible as the default camera so bleh.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Only way to change billing address is by phone. Ive been on hold for 32 minutes. This is ridiculous.

I don't want to refile an order though.

TwIsTeD

64gb Silver AT&T ordered from Apple

I overslept by 20 mins and I think it was a sign...gold looks cool but I think it's the hype train for a new color (that Touch ID sensor looks awesome)

After a year with a black 5 it was time for a change

7-10 days to receive it sucks though

tsumineko

Oh god, iPhone 5S is a massive upgrade from the iPhone 4. I'm so happy with it.

Silver 5S + Blue Apple Leather Case is lovely!

Touch ID is perfect. Press the button, phone unlocks in a split second. Very cool.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
32 gb sprint space gray for pickup tomorrow from best buy
16 gb sprint silver for delivery next week

time to sleep

Yoshichan

Oh god, iPhone 5S is a massive upgrade from the iPhone 4. I'm so happy with it.

Silver 5S + Blue Apple Leather Case is lovely!

Touch ID is perfect. Press the button, phone unlocks in a split second. Very cool.
I have an iPhone 4 and I'm upgrading to 5s... tell me how it feels like a massive upgrade. I want to know!

tsumineko

I have an iPhone 4 and I'm upgrading to 5s... tell me how it feels like a massive upgrade. I want to know!

It is SO FAST. You can actually browse the internet now. Facebook was so slow on the 4, both in the app and on Safari that it would take half a second to register you touching the screen to scroll it. It's now completely instant. Everything is instant. It's crazy what I have been missing out on.

THE CAMERA holy shit.

Also, the thing is so light! And the longer screen is great. Everything runs perfectly, and instant. I'm so happy.

Although, I do hope my 5S lasts as long as my 4 did. Just over 3 years out of a phone is really good value.

Edit: Also apparently I get 4G network. The antenna was shit in the 4, I rarely got higher than 1mbp/s, and it constantly timed out. Now I get ~22mbp/s.

Yoshichan

Oh my God that is making me so exciteddddd

Thank you for the impressions!!!

tsumineko

Oh, a new feature the 5S over the 4 is Google Maps that scroll. No more touching the screen and waiting a few seconds for the map to move.

Gotchaye

Canceled my Apple Store order because of the annoying shipping issue. Went with Best Buy instead, but unfortunately the nearest one with stock still is 20 minutes away.

Yoshichan

Oh, a new feature the 5S over the 4 is Google Maps that scroll. No more touching the screen and waiting a few seconds for the map to move.

WOOOOOOOO!

Yoshichan

Trying to find a side by side specification comparison between vanilla 4 and 5s... can only find the 4s :_:

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Trying to find a side by side specification comparison between vanilla 4 and 5s... can only find the 4s :_:

I just went from 4 to 5s. Really noticeable. No more lag when changing keyboards! No more chrome tabs refreshing and Map routes disappearing because of no RAM!

Magnus

About to go from a 4 to a 5S as well, can't wait to be able to actually instantly scroll in Facebook and Google Maps, lol!

So, I'm a little freaked out though. Just got to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. There are about 80 people in front of the Apple Store, and only 1 guy ahead of me at the Rogers (carrier) store.

I know the Rogers will have some. I'm sure there are Rogers customers in that Apple line. Why is everyone lined up over there?

I feel like either they don't know that they can get a phone here too, or there's something I don't know. lol

Appleman

About to go from a 4 to a 5S as well, can't wait to be able to actually instantly scroll in Facebook and Google Maps, lol!

So, I'm a little freaked out though. Just got to Yorkdale Mall in Toronto. There are about 80 people in front of the Apple Store, and only 1 guy ahead of me at the Rogers (carrier) store.

I know the Rogers will have some. I'm sure there are Rogers customers in that Apple line. Why is everyone lined up over there?

I feel like either they don't know that they can get a phone here too, or there's something I don't know. lol

Yep, I'm in front of a Rogers store on Bloor St now, and nobody else is here. Hoping I didn't miss a memo, but I'm sure it'll get much busier as we get closer to 8am

tsumineko

I just went from 4 to 5s. Really noticeable. No more lag when changing keyboards! No more chrome tabs refreshing and Map routes disappearing because of no RAM!

YES I really notice this! Trying to type in Japanese on the 4 was a nightmare. Seriously, the keyboard would hang for seconds while typing in characters. Switching between keyboards took seconds. Just horrible.

Welcome to the club! haha! Good luck!

Scrolling is great, really good feature of the new iPhone.

Magnus

Yep, I'm in front of a Rogers store on Bloor St now, and nobody else is here. Hoping I didn't miss a memo, but I'm sure it'll get much busier as we get closer to 8am

Did a rep at that store give you any information yesterday re: model availability etc? To my understanding, this store (and most in canada) won't have any of the Gold (fine by me, didn't want it). I just hope they have 16 or 32gb models...

Haribo

Banned
Bullshit how the US gets better stock than the UK.

I want 1-3 days shipping. Not fucking 7-10.
Yep, fucking sucks. Like you I ordered at exactly 12.01 using the app, was checked out by three minutes past. Never had this issue with any previous iPhone. My friend runs a CPW store;

fW3avxo.jpg

Espresso

Banned
Does this require jailbreak?

Also yeah it's clearly anti pervert measure. I think it's the same in South Korea. I just don't like how loud the shutter is though not trying to be a pervert, I swear!

There are apps that let you mute the sound but not as accessible as the default camera so bleh.
No jailbreak required!

Appleman

Did a rep at that store give you any information yesterday re: model availability etc? To my understanding, this store (and most in canada) won't have any of the Gold (fine by me, didn't want it). I just hope they have 16 or 32gb models...

I called yesterday and they couldn't give me specific information about it other than that stock for the 5S was "very limited". I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm walking out of here with a Space Grey one if at all, I just hope they have a 32GB version

potam

Banned
For those who have ordered from apple.com in the past:

Are they conservative about their shipping estimates like Amazon, where I can expect to actually get it mid-next week? Or are they pretty accurate?

Magnus

I called yesterday and they couldn't give me specific information about it other than that stock for the 5S was "very limited". I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm walking out of here with a Space Grey one if at all, I just hope they have a 32GB version

Good luck man. Stay in touch on here! 90 minutes to go!

Cromat

It seems my intuition that the 5C is going to flop relatively speaking was correct. Reports say that it's widely available.

Appleman

It seems my intuition that the 5C is going to flop relatively speaking was correct. Reports say that it's widely available.

Well it could easily be due to the ease of manufacturing and large quantities, but I have a feeling the 5S will be a more popular launch day phone, with the 5C actually proving to be more popular in the long run. Launch day buyers are probably the die hards who either already have a 5 and won't sidegrade to the 5c, or just want the flagship.

Edit: Someone else finally showed up! Now there's two of us with about an hour to go, we'll see if the employee who just went in will come talk to us

Anno

I bet they can pump out the 5c in crazy amounts compared to the 5 or 5s. I guess we'll find out on Monday if past trends hold.

Magnus

Thanks dude, I'm still the only one here....

There are five people in line with me now at Yorkdale's Rogers. The line at Apple is somewhere close to 150 from what I hear.

I'm reading reports online that Apple has intentionally only supplied the 5S (in limited quantities) to carrier stores close to Apple Store locations or sharing the same mall. Crossing my fingers for you that your store will have what you need, man!

Magnus

Well it could easily be due to the ease of manufacturing and large quantities, but I have a feeling the 5S will be a more popular launch day phone, with the 5C actually proving to be more popular in the long run. Launch day buyers are probably the die hards who either already have a 5 and won't sidegrade to the 5c, or just want the flagship.

Edit: Someone else finally showed up! Now there's two of us with about an hour to go, we'll see if the employee who just went in will come talk to us

Sweet! Please share anything you learn! No employees are at this location yet, lol.

Espresso

Banned
I'm in line at VZW now. The manager told those of us here that we're all getting iPhones.

Has anyone seen the gold model in person yet?

SeanR1221

I'm holding out with my 5 for another year, but I still get so excited with any Apple launch. I'll probably check the phones out at the Apple store this weekend.

Top Bottom