• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Thank you very much for verifying it. Something's definitely up with it, yeah.

The engine in general seems slow. Pre patch during
the Barbara shooting it took minutes to transition through normal clock tower, apartment and especially the brick wall Joker message to clock tower.
It probably took 3 times as long pre patch as post. I think some of that slow to load is still going on.

vocab

Patch impressions. Looks miles better without ca and film grain. What a difference. Higher res textures look decent. The only game works im using is enhanced rain. Very noticeable when you accumulate rain and then glide.

Im using 90 fps lock with vsync off. Flying around feels a lot better. Still noticed a big drop while driving (hdd load), but it only did it once on my small session. Above 60 the entire time. The game is a vram hog. Well over 3.5 on a 970, but no noticeable problems at a glance.

Id say its on par if not better than ac performance in some instances. City gave me some weird stutters for no apparent reason when flying.

By the time I play it I imagine one to two more patches will fix any lingering issues.

smuf

I still get a lot of drops into the lower 40s or 30s with the new patch at 1080p with all the gameworks stuff and AA off.

Running on an i4690k and a GTX 780. Overall it does seem better than before but I'll hold out on playing it a for a little longer.

kinggroin

Banned
Tried it post patch, works better than the PS4 version, has better effects thanks to nvidia, but rain is subdued.

Whatever. I already completed this on PS4.

Kinthalis

Banned
3770k, 780ti 2560x1440:

Walking, flying, fighting, is much better. Batmobile sequences still suck for me. It doesn't dip into the teens like it did before patch, but going from ~60 to ~30 does not feel good, specially on that terribly controlling vehicle.

I'm still avoiding the vehicle sections as much as possible, but I think it's fine enough now that I'm going to continue playing it.

egocrata

Banned
Got to play for a bit I have:

Core i5 4690K at 4 Ghz
EVGA 970 GTX Superclocked
16 GB of RAM
1080p Asus monitor

The game was running fairly well pre-patch at 1080p, but had the bad habit of crashing often without smoke effects on, and constantly with fancy smokiness on. Post patch, I am running with everything maxed out, including smoke, and the frame rate is better, with no crashes yet.

The game does whine that the settings are using too much VRAM, but outside
the observation deck on the airships
it runs at or close to 60 fps. Only in that section it dropped to 30s.

Combat feels SO much better at 60 fps. So. Much. Better.

By the way, are you guys playing with film grain filters on or off? I can't really make my mind on what looks better.

Wow, Batmobile is hitching a lot. For like, 2-3 seconds at a time it just freezes.

Anyone know any tweaks, or tips for someone on a 660, lol? Besides "buy a new card"? :p

kinggroin

Banned
Wow, Batmobile is hitching a lot. For like, 2-3 seconds at a time it just freezes.

Anyone know any tweaks, or tips for someone on a 660, lol? Besides "buy a new card"? :p

OC, delete bmgame folder from steam common apps baan arkham knighy. Verify files, retry playing. Set textures to normal, AA off, nvidia effects off. Restart the game.

Delt31

Game runs perfect until I get into the batmobile. It then gets choppy. Best thing to turn down to avoid without drastically changing as it only dips in car section

Edit just saw suggestion above thanks

Kazdane

So, on my r9 290 (I have a normal HDD, not SSD) + i5 4670, I can run the game at 60 pretty much locked (it dips ocassionally to the 45-50s) with everything on max except textures (which I keep on normal).

If I set everything to max, the game stutters when traversing the city quickly (it dips down to 30+). So overall, it's far better than before, but I'm guessing the only way to actually get rid of the stutters is using a SSD.

JohngPR

Not impressed with the patch at all. Still a lot of streaming issues and there's some kind of texture streaming issue that I didn't have before.

batmanak2015-09-0414-2zkxw.png

Look at not only that but the building behind it, WTF? I'm glad I got my money back for this and was able to grab it on PS4. What a disappointing version of the game. :(

PS: i7 4770k, 3GB 7970 here. I even uninstalled the game and re-downloaded the entire game, which didn't solve my issues.

Kezen

Banned
3770k, 780ti 2560x1440:

Walking, flying, fighting, is much better. Batmobile sequences still suck for me. It doesn't dip into the teens like it did before patch, but going from ~60 to ~30 does not feel good, specially on that terribly controlling vehicle.

I'm still avoiding the vehicle sections as much as possible, but I think it's fine enough now that I'm going to continue playing it.

It's possible that you might be hitting a VRAM wall. At 1080p the game is said to require 3gb for normal textures.

4790k + 980Ti.

Seeing 1080p60 almost 99% of the time with everything maxed out, a few drops to 57 in the batmobile.

Is Win 10 performing better than 8.1?

RTSS seems to prevent the Steam overlay from Showing in Batman, even with the advanced rendering option turned on.

Can you inject better AA? The default AA ruins the rain effect.

ugoo18

I'm regretting this purchase and 12 hours of play right now.

Pre patch and the game was smooth enough but was starting to become iffy so i decided to stop and wait for the patch to hopefully improve things. I had the issue of excessive flickering when in full screen and found a fix for that online but i had to play windowed borderless.

Post patch and it's back to full screen, i can't even see anything now unlike before when it was at least flickering excessively while full screen and the previous fix that allowed me to get to the settings to select windowed borderless doesn't work on this patch.... Ugh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kezen

Banned
I'm regretting this purchase and 12 hours of play right now.

Pre patch and the game was smooth enough but was starting to become iffy so i decided to stop and wait for the patch to hopefully improve things. I had the issue of excessive flickering when in full screen and found a fix for that online but i had to play windowed borderless.

Post patch and it's back to full screen, i can't even see anything now unlike before when it was at least flickering excessively while full screen and the previous fix that allowed me to get to the settings to select windowed borderless doesn't work on this patch.... Ugh. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We can't help without detailed specs.

Kezen

Banned
Bros,

what settings do ya'll reccomend for 2x780Ti, 4770k @4.4 , 16mb ram, G-Sync.

I see that the game is insane with Vram.

1 - Disable one of your 780ti
2 - Normal textures, the game is not insane with VRAM. High VRAM demand is the norm now.
3 - No Gameworks stuff

Assuming you're playing at 1080p.

2 - Normal textures, the game is not insane with VRAM. High VRAM demand is the norm now.
3 - No Gameworks stuff

1440p, i have a rog swift.

I play the witcher 3, with all the gameworks stuff , at 1440 and get around 50fps.

Ive given this a go, i get anywhere between 40-60 but the g-sync seems to take care of it mostly. Im seeing horrible stutter at times with anything batmobile related.

Im currently on normal texttures, everything else maxed.

c0Zm1c

3 - No Gameworks stuff

That's debatable. At 1080p on lowest settings, 2GB of VRAM is only just enough to satisfy this game. Compare that with other games releasing this generation and it is an unusally high requirement.

ugoo18

We can't help without detailed specs.

These are my laptop specs

CPU: Intel 4th Gen. i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz(Turbo 3.5GHz)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
HDD: 128GB SSD + 1TB SATA
Graphic: Nvidia GTX 870M Graphics 6GB DDR5

At 1080p, i range from 34fps to 54fps according to the benchmark tool ingame. Well pre-patch anyway.

Kezen

Banned
1440p, i have a rog swift.

I play the witcher 3, with all the gameworks stuff , at 1440 and get around 50fps.

Ive given this a go, i get anywhere between 40-60 but the g-sync seems to take care of it mostly. Im seeing horrible stutter at times with anything batmobile related.

Im currently on normal texttures, everything else maxed.

The stutter could be due to your lack of VRAM, I would never recommend a 3gb card for 1440p. The Witcher 3 is a different game, it's irrelevant how it runs and has nothing to do with Arkham Knight. Some games will demand more VRAM than others, for good reasons in the case of Arkham Knight post-patch.

That's debatable. At 1080p on lowest settings, 2GB of VRAM is only just enough to satisfy this game. Compare that with other games releasing this generation and it is an unusally high requirement.
Not when you factor in texture quality, and the number of them, no. AC Unity also asks for 2gb minimum and you can bet many other AAA games will too.
Get with the times.

These are my laptop specs

CPU: Intel 4th Gen. i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz(Turbo 3.5GHz)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
HDD: 128GB SSD + 1TB SATA
Graphic: Nvidia GTX 870M Graphics 6GB DDR5

At 1080p, i range from 34fps to 54fps according to the benchmark tool ingame. Well pre-patch anyway.

Honestly with such specs you can't expect much at all. It's very likely the issues you are experiencing are solely due to your laptop and not the game.

daxy

Did they fix the thing where the Batsuit would look like brand new after switching to an alternative costume? That shit is lame.

c0Zm1c

Not when you factor in texture quality, and the number of them, no. AC Unity also asks for 2gb minimum and you can bet many other AAA games will too.
Get with the times.
I don't think you can say that when the game in question runs on the core of a last-gen engine haha! Other devs are making games that work great - and look great - on lower end hardware but also push the high end (such as Shadow of Mordor and MGSV). If anything, AK is a bit behind the times!

Kezen

Banned
I don't think you can say that when the game in question runs on the core of a last-gen engine haha!
That does not mean anything in itself, it's heavily modified UE3 with a massive, detailed world and unsurprisingly it asks for the necessary amount of VRAM. Anyone could have seen that coming, and it's surely only the beginning of a trend.

Other devs are making games that work great - and look great - on lower end hardware but also push the high end (such as Shadow of Mordor and MGSV). If anything, AK is a bit behind the times!
Neither games are as technically impressive as AK though. There is a reason why the two games you are alluding to are not as VRAM hungry.
Honestly I'm not shocked at all by Arkham Knight's VRAM requirements, likewise for AC Unity.

ugoo18

Honestly with such specs you can't expect much at all. It's very likely the issues you are experiencing are solely due to your laptop and not the game.

Had no issues clearing the Witcher 3 on it, my main issue is the black fullscreen post patch (Music from the load up and menu screen still play). Pre patch i at least could play the game by going windowed borderless. But now i can't even use the method i found pre patch to get past the fullscreen issues (Flickering) the game has with NVIDIA equipped laptops.

cyen

That does not mean anything in itself, it's heavily modified UE3 with a massive, detailed world and unsurprisingly it asks for the necessary amount of VRAM. Anyone could have seen that coming, and it's surely only the beginning of a trend.

Neither games are as technically impressive as AK though. There is a reason why the two games you are alluding to are not as VRAM hungry.
Honestly I'm not shocked at all by Arkham Knight's VRAM requirements, likewise for AC Unity.

Witcher 3 is technically impressive and uses a very low amount of VRAM. AK is not (yet) greatly optimized, i bet that with some optimization it can use less vram than it uses now.

Kezen

Banned
Had no issues clearing the Witcher 3 on it, my main issue is the black fullscreen post patch. Pre patch i at least could play the game by going windowed borderless. But now i can't even use the method i found pre patch to get past the fullscreen issues the game has with NVIDIA equipped laptops.
Driver issues perhaps, hard to say for sure. Have you tried getting rid of the "fix" you used ? Verify the Steam files also.

Witcher 3 is technically impressive and uses a very low amount of VRAM. AK is not (yet) greatly optimized, i bet that with some optimization it can use less vram that it uses now.
It does not seem, to me, to use many different textures like AK. Hence the higher VRAM needs.
I would be very surprised if they can lower the VRAM usage. Seems very well optimized from my point of view, after the recent patch. No bugs, excellent performance and great visuals on my system.

Sectus

Had no issues clearing the Witcher 3 on it, my main issue is the black fullscreen post patch (Music from the load up and menu screen still play). Pre patch i at least could play the game by going windowed borderless. But now i can't even use the method i found pre patch to get past the fullscreen issues (Flickering) the game has with NVIDIA equipped laptops.

Have you tried editing the config file to switch to windowed fullscreen?

ugoo18

Driver issues perhaps, hard to say for sure. Have you tried getting rid of the "fix" you used ? Verify the Steam files also.

I cleared the file completely (It was the GFX setting file that was modified to make the game start windowed) and still the same thing. Someone else had problems with the game because of that mod to disable or skip the splash screens at the start and their method of clearing all the modified files didn't work here. I updated my Drivers before purchasing the game, currently at Driver version 347.25.

EDIT: I'm verifying the game now.

The stutter could be due to your lack of VRAM, I would never recommend a 3gb card for 1440p. The Witcher 3 is a different game, it's irrelevant how it runs and has nothing to do with Arkham Knight. Some games will demand more VRAM than others, for good reasons in the case of Arkham Knight post-patch.

What are the good reasons in the case of Arkham Knight post-patch?

I haven't had this issue with any other game right up to MGSV. I usually get a rock solid 50-60FPS with everything max at 1440p with my two 780's (And i play a good amount of games).

I understand things move on and maybe more VRAM is becoming necessary but i'm not seeing anything here above and beyond any other open world game in the last 6 months.

Saiyan-Rox

Glad I waited to play this now.

Sure the frames still drop for me when in the batmobile but I lived with it.

Just finished the campaign and its the first game in months that's managed to grab me and I haven't stopped playing! The game is soooo good its a shame its their last one :(

Witcher 3 is technically impressive and uses a very low amount of VRAM. AK is not (yet) greatly optimized, i bet that with some optimization it can use less vram than it uses now.

Different engines work differently; without more information, statements like this are meaningless.

Kezen

Banned
What are the good reasons in the case of Arkham Knight post-patch?
Texture quality and the sheer visual quality on display.

I haven't had this issue with any other game right up to MGSV. I usually get a rock solid 50-60FPS with everything max at 1440p with my two 780's (And i play a good amount of games).
I don't know how you can compare those two to AK really, it's irrelevant how X game runs, what matters is what are the technical reasons behind the performance. MGS 5, to me, is really not in the same ballpart tech wise. To the surprise of no one it's less taxing.

I understand things move on and maybe more VRAM is becoming necessary but i'm not seeing anything here above and beyond any other open world game in the last 6 months.
I do, therefore the VRAM requirements don't surprise me in the slightest. Next : Assassin's Creed Syndicate which is probably not going to look very good with only 2gb of video memory, again not suprising considering how the scope.

c0Zm1c

I said 'core' of a last-gen engine - it's going to have limits, heavily modified or not.

How technically impressive you find it I guess depends on your perspective, but I find the scaling options and subsequent performance of whatever engine Shadow of Mordor uses to be much more commendable. I do think it is impressive that Rocksteady got AK working so well on consoles at least, given the low performance GPUs but they have ample VRAM so optimising for less was never an issue with those platforms. It is a nice looking game but I don't see it as technically impressive on PC.

Texture quality and the sheer visual quality on display.

I don't know how you can compare those two to AK really, it's irrelevant how X game runs, what matters is what are the technical reasons behind the performance. MGS 5, to me, is really not in the same ballpart tech wise. To the surprise of no one it's less taxing.

I do, therefore the VRAM requirements don't surprise me in the slightest. Next : Assassin's Creed Syndicate which is probably not going to look very good with only 2gb of video memory, again not suprising considering how the scope.
I would be willing to believe it was purely a requirement and not a poor optimisation issue were it not for the fact that this port since day one has been garbage. I think it's a mix of both, seeing as many are reporting that the game still hitches for them or doesn't even launch on good rigs.

Top Bottom