• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

jacobeid

Banned
Before I was playing it with textures looking like that and sometimes somewhat better... now but it just is unplayable with this patch

I believe that others mentioned that this is likely a texture streaming issue and not an issue with the resolution of the textures themselves (didn't a lot of players have experiences with the "real" textures loading in after about a minute?).

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I know a single thing about how games actually work, but I know that there's something still seriously wrong with texture quality here, regardless of what is causing it. Anyone who says those aren't PS2 level textures need their eyes checked.

Arkham Knight is a beautiful game, I eventually played it on PS4 and was stunned, but those textures are quite literally PS2-level textures and that's not hyperbole.

But those are not the low textures, this is a streaming bug.

It's hard to keep track of all of the problems with this game :)

JRW

Because it's not 2002 anymore and this is what Batman is littered with.

72YKuMYEL9xV.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

2015-06-23_00001-e1435060210789.jpg

Those aren't low textures. Those are lower than shit textures. 2gb vram should be able to do more than that....just look at The Witcher 3.

Edit: Also see two posts above.

lol ya Witcher 3 actually runs better for me too on a 670 FTW 2GB.

Brofist

I'll have to play around with settings, but the patch has actually broken the game for me. I'm now having the same type of issues that people had before, game actually ran OK before for me.

To clarify I'm getting the texture pop-in issue now, wasn't before.

_Ph03n1x_

I am having the same texture pop-in issue. It didn't happen as much pre-patch but now it happens all the time. I have a 2GB 770, i5-4670, 16gb ram and the game is installed on an hdd.

scitek

I'll have to play around with settings, but the patch has actually broken the game for me. I'm now having the same type of issues that people had before, game actually ran OK before for me.

To clarify I'm getting the texture pop-in issue now, wasn't before.

I am having the same texture pop-in issue. It didn't happen as much pre-patch but now it happens all the time. I have a 2GB 770, i5-4670, 16gb ram and the game is installed on an hdd.

Delete your BMEngine.ini and BMSystemSettings.ini files and try playing again. The game makes new ones when you start it.

GTX 770 4GB
i5 2550k @ 4.5 GHz
Windows 7
Using 60 FPS cap in RTSS to smooth out frame times since they're all over the place without it.

Even on the lowest possible settings without dropping below native res I won't be able to get a consistent 60 FPS on my setup, which I don't think is an unreasonable thing to ask for given my specs.

Also, I'm pretty sure the intensity of light sources in the distance is still not a match for the PS4 version.

_Ph03n1x_

I was able to fix the streaming textures issue I was having. I deleted the config folder located in: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame and then verified the game cache through steam. Now the game is playing much better despite having to use low textures but that's what I get for using a 2GB card.

GTX 770 4GB
i5 2550k @ 4.5 GHz
Windows 7
Using 60 FPS cap in RTSS to smooth out frame times since they're all over the place without it.

Even on the lowest possible settings without dropping below native res I won't be able to get a consistent 60 FPS on my setup, which I don't think is an unreasonable thing to ask for given my specs.

Also, I'm pretty sure the intensity of light sources in the distance is still not a match for the PS4 version.

Have you tried fullscreen instead of borderless?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I was able to fix the streaming textures issue I was having. I deleted the config folder located in: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Batman Arkham Knight\BMGame and then verified the game cache through steam. Now the game is playing much better despite having to use low textures but that's what I get for using a 2GB card.

Let me ask, have to installed the game before the patch released or was this with a fresh install?

Have you tried fullscreen instead of borderless?
Yup, not much of a difference. And with fullscreen I'd have to deal with screen tearing or 60>30 FPS drops because we only have Adaptive Vsync and double buffer Vsync. I don't believe there's any way to force Triple Buffering in this game beyond using borderless windowed.

_Ph03n1x_

Let me ask, have to installed the game before the patch released or was this with a fresh install?

I had the issue when I had the game already installed and then applied the patch. Then I proceeded to delete the game and then re-install it again and still had the issue. The only thing that fixed it for me was to completely remove the config folder. Maybe some of the files stuck around when I installed it again?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I had the issue when I had the game already installed and then applied the patch. Then I proceeded to delete the game and then re-install it again and still had the issue. The only thing that fixed it for me was to completely remove the config folder. Maybe some of the files stuck around when I installed it again?

Yeah i think there is a good chance when you uninstalled it left the config files.

Edit; actually that seems weird since the conifg is apparently located inside the steam folder so it should have been removed....maybe they fucked up the patch.

_Ph03n1x_

Yeah i think there is a good chance when you uninstalled it left the config files.

Edit; actually that seems weird since the conifg is apparently located inside the steam folder so it should have been removed....maybe they fucked up the patch.

I think the Config files must have stuck around because I remember going through the config files after the fresh install and the pre-patch modifications I had made to them were still there.

Tried the patch, was getting a solid 60 for the most part maxed out on my 970, but the game still doesn't quite look like it does on my PS4 playthrough. This game is a waste of time on PC IMO.

Guess its too late to request that refund from GMG...

You mean they haven't fixed the graphics yet? It still looks subpar compared to the ps4?

I certainly won't be buying it when it is rereleased if that is the case.

According to every shred of evidence I have seen, the game is superior looking on PC in everfy category... excluding that rain bug that occurs (less rain drops on objects after you reload up the game post-start).

KingBroly

Banned
Tried the patch, was getting a solid 60 for the most part maxed out on my 970, but the game still doesn't quite look like it does on my PS4 playthrough. This game is a waste of time on PC IMO.

Guess its too late to request that refund from GMG...

I think GMG said that if you weren't happy with it after the first patch you could get a refund.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
i feel I've lost all hope of ever playing the game, the patch does fix some things but the game still runs like shit, after a few hours of gameplay the performance starts to get worse and worse as time goes by, completely deleted the game from my library and i feel sad it has come to this for a franchise I've had so much enthusiasm for

jacobeid

Banned
i feel I've lost all hope of ever playing the game, the patch does fix some things but the game still runs like shit, after a few hours of gameplay the performance starts to get worse and worse as time goes by, completely deleted the game from my library and i feel sad it has come to this for a franchise I've had so much enthusiasm for

Seeing the suggestions above regarding the fix for the texture streaming issue gave me enough hope to actually download and install the patch.

Now the game crashes on startup every time.

Uninstalled. Done.

Delt31

This should be included in the first page b/c after the patch I was still having issues but after doing this the game can be played 60fps locked with all settings maxed on 1080p with a 980. thanks for the suggestion!

According to every shred of evidence I have seen, the game is superior looking on PC in everfy category... excluding that rain bug that occurs (less rain drops on objects after you reload up the game post-start).
Well I can confirm that light sources are still not displaying correctly on the PC version. Look at the blue lights on the Clock Tower.

You mean they haven't fixed the graphics yet? It still looks subpar compared to the ps4?

I certainly won't be buying it when it is rereleased if that is the case.
I've played it on both. The PC version looks much better, naturally. The console versions have low res particles and weak AA - it's very distracting on certain characters/objects. Catwoman in particular looks like a jaggy mess.

Buburibon

Well I can confirm that light sources are still not displaying correctly on the PC version. Look at the blue lights on the Clock Tower.

The anti-aliasing solution they're using in the PC version makes some light sources appear much dimmer than their console counterparts. That being said, I'm not sure if that's what we're witnessing here.

In any case, I believe there are 3 things that need to be addressed in the PC version as far as graphical fidelity is concerned. The fist being the "half as wet upon continuing" bug, the second being the DOF that doesn't appear as shallow as on console versions, and finally the anti-aliasing that dims lights and makes rain drops much less visible than they should be. Honestly, I'm amazed that the people testing the game for WB don't seem to notice these things.

GTX 770 4GB
i5 2550k @ 4.5 GHz
Windows 7

Actually a consistent 60fps might be to much to ask for this game. The low settings on PC don't seem all that low. Combine that with the nature of the open world. I've played GTAV and Witcher3 . This game has way more detail on display than GTA5 or Witcher3 at least when looking from a decent height.

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but I took a screen from the same spot.

v1Xlgnm.jpg

It seems fine to me. The PS4 being more "intense" could be for any number of reasons, but I'm just looking at screen shots so who knows.

It's amazing some people will defend this shitport.

In what way?

Salsa

ffs what a joke with the texture vram crap

have to go with LOW textures on 2GB? and the low textures look god awful at that

awful. god awful. I was seriously thinking they'd scale this properly eventually

ffs what a joke with the texture vram crap

have to go with LOW textures on 2GB? and the low textures look god awful at that

awful. god awful. I was seriously thinking they'd scale this properly eventually

Yeah the texture streaming is crap. I don't notice low textures being too horrible except at the diner looking at the newspaper right in front of you.

Well, that's something. My only problems with the game were screwy effects, like the rain, and the performance getting progressively worse the further I got into the game.

Pre patch? Yeah, I had that plus...I almost said low res textures, which is technically true, but some people are getting confused. The low setting for textures is noticeable at times, but not horrible. The screen shots in this thread are mostly of unloaded textures. They are textures that are of a lower quality than what the game is supposed to load. Pre patch I had the total shit textures on vehicles, doors, thugs, interactives like consoles and power panels. That's all fixed now.

This is low textures of the infamous sign.

Buburibon

Seems fixed. I haven't noticed it missing.

Well, that's something. My only problems with the game were screwy effects, like the rain, and the performance getting progressively worse the further I got into the game.

The problem with the rain is still there. The effect isn't missing per se, but it's much less intense/pronounced than originally intended when resuming from a saved game.

Quoting vivek86's comparison once again to make sure we're all talking about the same issue here:

On the Batmobile. It still shows on Batman. It shows on the Batmobile too, but not the extent as it would when you play the game uninterrupted from start.

Load from save:

batmanak2015-06-2718-ijstx.png

New game:

batmanak2015-06-2720-kcleo.png

The problem with the rain is still there. The effect isn't missing per se, but it's much less intense/pronounced than originally intended when resuming from a saved game.

Quoting vivek86's comparison once again to make sure we're all talking about the same issue here:

Those pictures are from pre patch. Here's a couple I took from a save.

Numbers for anyone interested. My two 980s (one dedicated to PhysX) are getting me around 90 fps when I'm out of the batmobile and 60 to 75 fps when I'm in the batmobile. I did get a couple of pretty big performance drops when diving into the batmobile at one point down to 40 or so fps, but it seemed like an issue streaming from my hard drive (which is fast, but not SSD... I might consider moving this to my SSD to see if that goes away).

It's getting there.

SLI needs to get fixed though, as much as I like Gotham Knight laser light show party.

Buburibon

Those pictures are from pre patch. Here's a couple I took from a save.

Thanks, but I can't really judge your screenshots since they're not of the same scene. At any rate, these are from a couple minutes ago, post-patch. I'm not saying this happens to everyone, but the problem is still there (for some of us). :)

New game:

36FE710F793B0D2645F8A7E540084B86B1A6DFFD

Saved game:

1ECF32551BE99FDE01A400F2C19343D68DD6FD59

Thanks, but I can't really judge your screenshots since they're not of the same scene. At any rate, these are from a couple minutes ago, post-patch. I'm not saying this happens to everyone, but the problem is still there (for some of us). :)

New game:

36FE710F793B0D2645F8A7E540084B86B1A6DFFD

Saved game:

1ECF32551BE99FDE01A400F2C19343D68DD6FD59

Is it one scene or more? What scene is it anyway that you can use new game or a save for comparison. My screens are just from normal game play. I parked next to a building and rotated the camera. I don't want to trivialize issues, but this seems pretty trivial if you have to seek out the issue with a single scene.

Buburibon

Is it one scene or more? What scene is it anyway that you can use new game or a save for comparison. My screens are just from normal game play. I parked next to a building and rotated the camera. I don't want to trivialize issues, but this seems pretty trivial if you have to seek out the issue with a single scene.

I started a new game and played until the "evening the odds" bit, a.k.a. the introduction to the Batmobile. It's 5 minutes into the game, maybe? Anyhow, so I took the "new game" screen after starting from a blank save slot, then quit before the end of the scene and reloaded the checkpoint to take the second screenshot.

The thing is the issue carries on throughout the rest of the game, which doesn't happen with my PS4 copy.

EDIT: There's a series of screenshot comparisons post-patch on the official forums. Please see post #9 by Noir_Berlin.

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/Rain-texture-bug/m-p/765073#M14923

Put some time into the game without fancy smoke effects. I'm still seeing drops down to 45 while driving, but the game is well and beyond playable now.

I'm just gonna give it another patch or so. My interest in the game has been downgraded given that they launched the patch alongside MGS5.

I started a new game and played until the "evening the odds" bit, a.k.a. the introduction to the Batmobile. It's 5 minutes into the game, maybe? Anyhow, so I took the "new game" screen after starting from a blank save slot, then quit before the end of the scene and reloaded the checkpoint to take the second screenshot.

The thing is the issue carries on throughout the rest of the game, which doesn't happen with my PS4 copy.

I just recreated this and the loaded save had the same issue. It seems like it takes awhile for the rain effect to catch up. It's not a huge deal, but it is weird.

Top Bottom