• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Kezen

Banned
Not when they first came out in a topic you even made. But it apparently was just a typo.
It was quickly corrected to 4gb though.

I could have sworn someone from NVIDIA claimed a 980 should've been able to achieve that but I can't find the reference so maybe not.
I haven't been able to find anything substantiating that, feel free to bring forth evidence if you can.

Still, my claim is primarily based on how my 970 currently performs on the game and that a 980 at the same clock speeds should be able to handle this game at 60FPS with all the Gameworks junk enabled with its additional GPU headroom. And that 1080p at 30FPS on Ultra was not what NVIDIA/Rocksteady/WB Games had in mind for those settings but meh, maybe it was, whatever. I still think there's still room for improvement in this game's performance.
We can agree on that, but I don't think a 980 will cut it for the target you're talking about even when the game goes back on sale. Maybe you overestimate how powerful a 970/980 are. It's not difficult to hit the limits of those GPUs when you want very high settings and 60fps on top of that, maybe limitations of different nature are to blame as well (API).

Basically I would not expect my 980 to "max out" any current game at 1080p/60fps, that's way too high of an expectation if you ask me.

How does this game perform so wildly different for people with similar setups? Especially with a 970.
New to PC gaming I presume. That's how it has always been, each setups differs from one another.

Swarna

How does this game perform so wildly different for people with similar setups? Especially with a 970.

Because the game uses VRAM inefficiently and the 970 (with its 3.5GB + 512MB) is on the brink of being okay or prone to extreme hitching and stutter depending on settings, how long you've been playing, and how your game decides to allocate its resources on a specific play-through. When I first posted in this thread I was getting basically no stutter with everything maxed out (sans fog/paper) at 1080p. Yesterday I started getting a bit of stuttering. I decided to lower textures to Normal (they look the exact same in this game, I think High are just quickly done up-scales or something) and along with the .ini tweak from the steam forums that changes the behavior of texture streaming (apparently, I'm not sure if it helped) it's back to normal for me now. I can still set up High textures again but I have a feeling it'll introduce stutter somewhere down the line. Also, a quirk I've noticed, if you toggle settings in-game (like High/Medium texture/shadow quality) it's almost like the game doesn't clean up the preset you're not using anymore in memory. I once switched Textures from Medium to High and it ended up as a slideshow that wouldn't stop even after switching back and only after I restarted the game did it stop. I've also noticed that VRAM usage increases the longer you play and never goes down. Almost like a memory leak. So I'd imagine at some point it becomes a problem for the 970 there as well.

But the curveball is that my brother's 2GB 750 TI with textures/shadows to medium holds 30 at 1080p and he gets no stuttering at all as of the latest patch. His game is also running off of a regular HDD. It's really weird because on the steam forums people are having stuttering issues on their 4GB 960's. I have no clue why this is the case but perhaps the game is more aggressive with higher VRAM cards in how it utilizes resources.

This game is still broken, obviously.

Kezen

Banned
Are benchmarks pointless unless you have the exact same setup used then?

That's mostly correct.
The purpose of a benchmark is not so much to tell you how X game runs on Y hardware.....But to compare GPUs/CPUs. And usually benchmark sites don't explicitly tell you which part of the game has been measured, you could end up with wildly different numbers if you were to benchmark a different scene.

Benchmark are never to be taken at face value, never.

jett

D-Member
Started a new game with the latest patch, with AMD beta drivers.

For a while I thought the game had been fixed, but eventually it started stuttering horribly no matter what you did. It just now takes longer than before, lol.

:(

Pjsprojects

Grr 62% in on main story and it's started crashing a lot.

Back once again to my 21% story X1 version.

When is the full patch due out and will it be worth bothering??

Kezen

Banned
Grr 62% in on main story and it's started crashing a lot.

Back once again to my 21% story X1 version.

When is the full patch due out and will it be worth bothering??

We don't know. What kind of crash did you run into, and what are your specs ?

For all you know the problem might be on your end.

Swarna

But the curveball is that my brother's 2GB 750 TI with textures/shadows to medium holds 30 at 1080p and he gets no stuttering at all as of the latest patch.

I just wanted to correct this. My brother has a 4GB version which apparently exists. >.> I'm pretty sure you can't run Medium textures on a 2GB card without hitching. 2.5-3GB is probably around the minimum required for that.

Edit: As an update I OC'd my 970's memory and gpu clock as much as I could without raising the voltage. I'm not getting any stuttering at all anymore, even with High textures on my 970. Afterburner reports the full 4GB of VRAM being used (as opposed to <3.3GB using medium textures) but I'm not noticing any pop-in and no hitching is occurring. Solid 60 with dips to low 40's/high 30's in the most extreme cases during driving/high-altitude gliding. Usually just sticks to 60 like 85-90% of the time and 55-60 about 5-10% percent of the time, though. Only rain on in gameworks, everything else maxed. The OC gave me 5 extra average FPS on the in-game benchmark (performance increase of about 5%) and I feel like the memory clock boost in particular helped a lot with managing textures as I would get occasional hitching using High textures before.

Game runs pretty great with adaptive v-sync all things considered.

Pjsprojects

We don't know. What kind of crash did you run into, and what are your specs ?

For all you know the problem might be on your end.

It's the only game that crashes on me. I get hard locks and have to hold the power button to reset the pc.

Fx8350
R9-290X
8GB ram
Win 10

Playing Mad max instead for a while...

Kezen

Banned
It's the only game that crashes on me. I get hard locks and have to hold the power button to reset the pc.

Fx8350
R9-290X
8GB ram
Win 10

Playing Mad max instead for a while...

Well I'll chalk that up to the game still not being in a "shippable" state. Never got hard locks in 45 hours of playtime though, at worst the game simply crashed and that was a while ago.

I just upgraded to windows 10 from 7. Just for shits I decided to boot up the game for the first time in a while. At the main menu it started chugging extremely badly when batmans face comes on screen and says press here to start. It then crashed and gave me a huge error report. That does not bode well lol

So I upgraded to a 970 today (re-installed divers and everything) and yeah, still seems like anything like a smooth 1080/60 is off the table. I have an i5 4590, 8GB RAM and a 970. Running off a HDD, not SSD. Mess.

Holy shit, I'm getting like 30fps gliding around. Settings mostly on normal, no interactive smoke but all other Gameworks stuff on. Jesus.

Kezen

Banned
So I upgraded to a 970 today (re-installed divers and everything) and yeah, still seems like anything like a smooth 1080/60 is off the table. I have an i5 4590, 8GB RAM and a 970. Running off a HDD, not SSD. Mess.

Holy shit, I'm getting like 30fps gliding around. Settings mostly on normal, no interactive smoke but all other Gameworks stuff on. Jesus.

That's weird, are you playing at 1440p ? Maybe this game really benefits from an I7.

That is definitely not normal, my slightly OCed 970 can maintain 50+fps gliding and in batmobile, pretty much locked 60 on foot, everything else maxed out with gameworks off.

That's weird, are you playing at 1440p ? Maybe this game really benefits from an I7.
Nope :/ 1080p. No clue what's up.
That is definitely not normal, my slightly OCed 970 can maintain 50+fps gliding and in batmobile, pretty much locked 60 on foot, everything else maxed out with gameworks off.
Wtf... I'm testing it out now on TW3 and Unity (I just installed the card today) and I'm getting 1080/60 on TW3. About to test Unity.

Kezen

Banned
Nope :/ 1080p. No clue what's up.

Wtf... I'm testing it out now on TW3 and Unity (I just installed the card today) and I'm getting 1080/60 on TW3. About to test Unity.

Are you sure you have set your game correctly, especially textures ?
High texture settings is too much for a 970 (3.5gb of VRAM).

mcx3rMB.jpg
What is this game even

most people with single cards are disabling all the Nvidia gameworks stuff. Unless you still have a semi decent card to leave in the system and dedicate to PhysX, that stuff is probably going to be out of reach for a single card.
Alright, I'm rebooting with it off.

There are less dips now, but still hovering at 45fps~ while on the streets.

My settings, yes I'm using high textures on a 970 and it runs on HDD not SSD:
MLzdwDK.png

I'm getting fairly stable 55+fps while gliding, in batmobile it drops to low 50s but still not that bad.
xSNbol3.png

My settings, yes I'm using high textures on a 970 and it runs on HDD not SSD:
MLzdwDK.png

I'm getting fairly stable 55+fps while gliding, in batmobile it drops to low 50s but still not that bad.
xSNbol3.png
Hm. Not sure what's up. I've uninstalled MSI afterburner just in case that was messing with it, rebooting my PC now. If it's still weird I'm just going to re-install drivers (again).

Is there a program to check where the bottleneck is?

jfoul

I decided to quit waiting and played through the game. I noticed some hitching once in awhile from going in and out of buildings, but overall pretty smooth. I was also getting some pop-in while flying around the city at far distances.

Resolution: 1920x1080 (Fullscreen)
Graphics Options: All On/Max
Nvidia Options: All On except Fog

CPU: i7 4770K @4.4
GPU: GTX980 Reference @ Stock
MEM: 16GB @ 2133
HDD: 3TB Seagate 7200 RPM

CHC

Would it be foolish to buy this for 16 bucks now, in faith that it will sometime soon be playable? Looks like a good game under the performance bullshit.

dr_rus

Hm. Not sure what's up. I've uninstalled MSI afterburner just in case that was messing with it, rebooting my PC now. If it's still weird I'm just going to re-install drivers (again).

Is there a program to check where the bottleneck is?

Try moving all files from the <path-to-game>\BMGame\Config\ folder to some temp folder (just in case something will break and you'll have to move them back) and let the game reconfigure itself from scratch.

vg260

most people with single cards are disabling all the Nvidia gameworks stuff. Unless you still have a semi decent card to leave in the system and dedicate to PhysX, that stuff is probably going to be out of reach for a single card.

I'm running a 970 at 1080p with an old card for PhysX with all the nvidia stuff on. It's not perfect, but it's playable. I get pretty close to 60 in most street level and combat stuff, expect for driving which drops to the 45 range. Flying around it's pretty close to 60 with some drops to 45-50. I'm about 75% done. It could still use improvement, and I have an occasional crash, but it's at least at the point where I can chug through it. However, most people won't have a card for PhysX, and I have AA low, and blur and some other effects lower.

Kezen

Banned
Thanks. I just picked it up and I'll probably play it once it goes back up for sale and is "done," just in case.

Good thinking because as it stands it's visually complete (and stable from my experience, no textures bug or whatever) but performance is not good for everyone and that's not always on the user's end.

No Crossfire/SLI support either, and no DLCs. Batman AK has been updated quite regularly with new features on consoles but nothing on PC yet, no photo mode, no character selection in VR challenges.

CHC

It isn't really that great of a game, but it is playable now.

Eh for 16 bucks it doens't have to be that great. I liked the other Arkham games, I'm sure this will be close enough to enjoy for a good guilty pleasure playthrough.

I just got a hilarious but frustrating bug last night. As I was facing a boss with those big tank drones I got down to one plus the boss when the game glitches out like crazy. The boss showed up and got captured by batman without me doing anything. It all took place about an inch above the ocean with an untextured pillar in the middle of the screen. It reloaded with the villain in the batmobile ready for transport. This happen to anyone else?

So after re-installing Windows I'm still getting awful stuttering and regular dips to the mid 30s on a 970. There must be something wrong with something in my computer, I just can't tell what. Might be my HDD, it's only 5400rpm.

Kezen

Banned
So after re-installing Windows I'm still getting awful stuttering and regular dips to the mid 30s on a 970. There must be something wrong with something in my computer, I just can't tell what. Might be my HDD, it's only 5400rpm.

Does GPU-Z report something abnormal ?

Your HDD could perhaps be the cause, this game puts a lot of stress on the disk. I know this game made my SSD purchase worth it.

Does GPU-Z report something abnormal ?

Your HDD could perhaps be the cause, this game puts a lot of stress on the disk. I know this game made my SSD purchase worth it.
I'm running HWINFO now to see if I can spot anything. Edit: okay, my CPU is running at like 90 degrees C. What could be causing that?

Kezen

Banned
I'm running HWINFO now to see if I can spot anything. Edit: okay, my CPU is running at like 90 degrees C. What could be causing that?

HWINFO is not sufficient, install GPU-Z and pay attention to your bus speed. Maybe something's not right there.

Regarding your CPU yeah 90°C is not normal, to give you a reference point my 4770K @ 3.5ghz very rarely hits 60°C even when heavily stressed. It's possible there is a program hogging your processor, what's running in your background ? See and try to isolate what shouldn't run with a game. In the worst case it might even be a trojan/virus.

HWINFO is not sufficient, install GPU-Z and pay attention to your bus speed. Maybe something's not right there.

Regarding your CPU yeah 90°C is not normal, to give you a reference point my 4770K @ 3.5ghz very rarely hits 60°C even when heavily stressed. It's possible there is a program hogging your processor, what's running in your background ? See and try to isolate what shouldn't run with a game.
It never did this before, I've no idea what's wrong. Now I'm 90% sure the CPU is the issue. According to GPU Z and HW INFO it's the only thing out of the ordinary. I've never ever seen it hit 90 before.

Kezen

Banned
It never did this before, I've no idea what's wrong. Now I'm 90% sure the CPU is the issue. According to GPU Z and HW INFO it's the only thing out of the ordinary. I've never ever seen it hit 90 before.

Do a virus/malware scan, worth a shot. I don't see what could cause this aside from that, if you are running the usual amount of background programs and your CPU was not stressed then something new must be the cause.

Your CPU heatsink is clean, right ? Properly seated too ? Thermal paste well applied ?

Do a virus/malware scan, worth a shot.
It's definitely my CPU, thank you so much for helping me with this. I just used HW INFO and kept an eye on stuff and my CPU tempswas climbing higher and higher. When the CPU was still in the 60 range I was getting 1080/60 with no stutter. Ugh.

Ok, my thermal paste seems dried out and I think the CPU fan came loose when I took everything out of the case the other day. Fuck.

Finally got it working! :D I re-aligned the heat sink and CPU Fan and everything seems good now. Getting pretty much solid 1080/60 on Normal textures with everything else on High, and Enhanced Rain + Lighting. The occasional dip and stutter in Batmobile but they're like split second hitches as opposed to noticeable breaks.

Aaaaaah. :)

Kezen

Banned
Finally got it working! :D I re-aligned the heat sink and CPU Fan and everything seems good now. Getting pretty much solid 1080/60 on Normal textures with everything else on High, and Enhanced Rain + Lighting. The occasional dip and stutter in Batmobile but they're like split second hitches as opposed to noticeable breaks.

Aaaaaah. :)

Have you put new thermal paste as well ? You mentioned the old one as being dried out. 90° alcohol + tissue to wipe the CPU clean then a pea of high quality thermal paste, let the heatsink's weight spread the paste. Then screw your CPU in a cross fashion to avoid putting more pressure on one part of the CPU.

Top Bottom