• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

The performance is still rather unreasonable considering that it cannot maintain 60 even if you drop all the settings to low.
See this video I just made @ the lowest settings.
Either I am so CPU bound that the game just cannot main 60 no matter what settings are chosen, or they built a texture/object streamer that does not scale correctly to high framerates and is prone to stalling. Given how the game runs on console-tier CPUs, I at least expect the game to scale in settings and hardware: aka, be a proper port. It drops frames so often, it is kind of absurd. Is it better than the console version? Yes, but that is not good enough.

I am curious if minimum 60 fps is capable on any rig. Anyone out there with a better CPU want to duplicate the test I made above?

does it have to be that exact part? I couldn't be arsed to start up a new save and go through all that diner stuff again, so I just swerved around in the same area. (there are still cops chasing cars and such)
I have an i7 950, with everything low I was seeing something like an average of 85. Everything on/High, it's close to 60 but not quite.

That said, it was my first time seeing the game on Low and... I was surpised to see how good it still looked.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's possible AMD need to release better drivers for the game, it being very CPU limited means AMD drivers are holding back performance.

I'm sorry I know it won't improve your situation but AMD have their fair share of responsabilities in the performance of this game. It runs much better on Nvidia cards because of drivers, except obviously when you are completely GPU bound.

Dx11 drivers are crap for certain reasons but those reasons don't apply to this title.

No AMD doesn't share the responsibility devs need to start relying on using the API right or testing stuff. Nvidia or AMD shouldn't be in the business of patching up their work so games can run right, devs should be doing it right to begin with., This discussion has been had before and I see no reason why hardware manufactuers who do things right have to go out of their way to patch a POS like this game.

It still runs like crap on 2 of the 3 machines I bought to play this one is nvida the other amd. They had months to fix this and still can't why the hell are they getting paid.

Kezen

Banned
Dx11 drivers are crap for certain reasons but those reasons don't apply to this title.

No AMD doesn't share the responsibility devs need to start relying on using the API right or testing stuff. Nvidia or AMD shouldn't be in the business of patching up their work so games can run right, devs should be doing it right to begin with., This discussion has been had before and I see no reason why hardware manufactuers who do things right have to go out of their way to patch a POS like this game.

It still runs like crap on 2 of the 3 machines I bought to play this one is nvida the other amd. They had months to fix this and still can't why the hell are they getting paid.

I would not say it runs like shit but I can see where the disappointment stems from. I can't say the varying frametimes prevented me from enjoying the game and it's smooth enough to me.

great posts

great posts
Thx for posting these guys.
This is of course subjective, but I see all those 1% spent frametimes. All those framtimes shooting to 33, 20, etc. ms quite often. They happen every 1 or 2 seconds essentially... It is of course playable, but like bloodborne, is visually distracting and troubling. It is happening so.... often.

does it have to be that exact part? I couldn't be arsed to start up a new save and go through all that diner stuff again, so I just swerved around in the same area. (there are still cops chasing cars and such)
I have an i7 950, with everything low I was seeing something like an average of 85. Everything on/High, it's close to 60 but not quite.

That said, it was my first time seeing the game on Low and... I was surpised to see how good it still looked.
You could just drive around erratically crashing, same difference really. :D
#
even tho the minimums say 57, 58, whatever etc. it feels just awful and much lower. the frame pacing is all over the place. it feels less smooth than the ps4 version running at its locked 30 when it stutters and hitches.

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_batman_ak_performance_test-q7Nn5EkpsEhV53zx_en.html

Locking to 30? :/ You have a Gsync monitor right?

I am curious how a lock to 40 turns out...
CleverDearestArabianhorse.gif

IM NOT WEARIN HOCKEY PADSZZ

I should not laugh, but I am laughing. Sorry mate.

This is of course subjective, but I see all those 1% spent frametimes. All those framtimes shooting to 33, 20, etc. ms quite often. They happen every 1 or 2 seconds essentially... It is of course playable, but like bloodborne, is visually distracting and troubling. It is happening so.... often.

You could just drive around erratically crashing, same difference really. :D
#

Locking to 30? :/ You have a Gsync monitor right?

I am curious how a lock to 40 turns out...

I should not laugh, but I am laughing. Sorry mate.

yeah i have gsync. not sure if my statement came across clear. i meant that everytime the game stutters, it feels worse than playing at a locked 30 even tho its not nearly that low.

yeah i have gsync. not sure if my statement came across clear. i meant that everytime the game stutters, it feels worse than playing at a locked 30 even tho its not nearly that low.

I can understand that. The thing is, the dropped frames aren't even consistent in their ms differential. It is not like 16.6 to 18.2 ms which Gsync manages really well with. It is 20 ms, 30 ms, 40 ms...

on low

scitek

You're lucky then, because here....

Qp4TzkL.png

GTX 980 (factory OC)
I7 4770K @3.5ghz
16gb of RAM
Windows 10
Latest Nvidia drivers.

The benchmarks don't lie : this game is just not 100, silky smooth. Runs well enough for me to enjoy it but no doubt those who swear by consistency better stay away from it.

Unfortunately, this is one you're probably always going to be better off locking to 30fps. Trying to run it at 60 results in too many drops from streaming in new parts of the map, etc while traveling. I hate sounding like I'm lessening the blame on the developers, as they definitely didn't do a very good job, but Unreal Engine 3, in particular, just has issues with this...and it's even worse in open-world games. Arkham City still stutters for me in DX9 mode, too. I don't think it'll ever be 100% smooth.

Xyber

I know how awful all the stuttering in Bloodborne looks and it's far from that when I play this game. But I do have a 144Hz monitor, so that probably helps with that.Those spikes are on the screen for such a short time that I don't see most of them. It's definitely noticeable at times, but not to the extent that it would put me off from playing it. Need to test some more scenarios before I can say that the game is "fixed" for me, but this is a huge improvement over launch at least.

I know how awful all the stuttering in Bloodborne looks and it's far from that when I play this game. But I do have a 144Hz monitor, so that probably helps with that.Those spikes are on the screen for such a short time that I don't see most of them. It's definitely noticeable at times, but not to the extent that it would put me off from playing it. Need to test some more scenarios before I can say that the game is "fixed" for me, but this is a huge improvement over launch at least.
I have a 120hz monitor, so we are getting similar sync ups (yours are of course better).
But I nonetheless expect a lot more of a game on PC than to just be... playable. :D Dropping frames so often just is not right IMO, especially on the lowest settings.

Elder_Pliny said:
Hi everyone! I’m going to jump in and help out Yorick as a second pair of eyes and ears for you all.

With the game now available for sale, I wanted to provide a status update since the release of the September patch.

As we confirmed earlier today, the PC version of the game now supports all add-on content that has been released thus far for console. The configurations for this content are being updated now and we expect everything to be available in the next few hours. We’ll confirm when this process is completed.

We are still working with our GPU partners to add full support for SLI and Crossfire. In addition, we are working with these partners to address stability issues on certain cards related to the latest drivers.

After extensive testing, a hard drive paging issue with some GPUs on Windows 7 may occur after extended gameplay sessions. If you encounter this, simply re-launching the game will resolve the issue.

For Windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/October-28th-PC-Patch-Notes/m-p/864603#M16837
mj-laughing.gif

Four months...
1210.gif

Xyber

I have a 120hz monitor, so we are getting similar sync ups (yours are of course better).
But I nonetheless expect a lot more of a game on PC than to just be... playable. :D Dropping frames so often just is not right IMO, especially on the lowest settings.

Yeah, I agree. This performance with everything turned down is pretty bad.

Kezen

Banned
Unfortunately, this is one you're probably always going to be better off locking to 30fps. Trying to run it at 60 results in too many drops from streaming in new parts of the map, etc while traveling. I hate sounding like I'm lessening the blame on the developers, as they definitely didn't do a very good job, but Unreal Engine 3, in particular, just has issues with this...and it's even worse in open-world games. Arkham City still stutters for me in DX9 mode, too. I don't think it'll ever be 100% smooth.

From my experience this is absolutely true, I've yet to play a graphically demanding game with literally zero frametime variance, pristine 60fps in every situation.

This is one of those things I learned to deal with as something unavoidable.

However, I wish to stress that subjectively those frametimes spikes did not negatively impact my experience to disastrous extents.

I may be in the minority who knows but I would not trade my PC version for 1.000 thousands PS4 skus running at 30fps.
I'll gladly take an average framerate as close as 60fps as realistically possible over a locked but much lower framerate.

Here's how AC runs (DX11, max settings with all features engaged + 4xMSAA)
tuJCI2i.png

For those wondering how to gather this type of data : download fraps frametimes viewer :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/files/
Check your directory where Fraps saves benchmarks and don't forget to tick the "frametimes" box in the menu.
Run fraps bench view and drag the frametimes files in the C:fraps folder.

jett

D-Member
Out of interest if you lock the game to 30fps is it atleast stable or is it still a mess?

No setting ever helped me do away with the stuttering. The game is playable although very annoyingly so on my end, however. Nothing like SalsaShark's situation. :p

Out of interest if you lock the game to 30fps is it atleast stable or is it still a mess?

Constant 30fps with every setting on high and all nvidia gameworks settings turned on.

45fps with everything turned on low and all nvidia gameoworks turned off.

Ivy i7
8GB RAM
nvidia 770 4GB

So yeah.

dr_rus

Rig: Core i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz, Titan X (1425/+500), 24 GB RAM

Post-launch patch:
with Gameworks
1620p
208650_2015-10-28_000vts48.png

What's "1620p"? Cause this is what I have in 2560x1600 with everything on/max except motion blur, CA and film grain:

AJ8b.jpg

That's on i7-3820/980TiG1 all stock.

hlhbk

My Specs:

Intel 3970k
Nvidia GTX 980
16 GB RAM
Win 10 64 bit
SSD
GSYNC

I turn everything up to max except for the Nvidia smoke which I leave off,

After all the patches have been applied I went from having freezing/hitching, textures not loading, and FPS all over the place to the game running at 60 FPS 99% of the time and never dipping below 50 (the FPS dip is not noticeable at all at and above 45 fps using gsync). What a huge great difference compared to the console versions now!

I had preordered the season pass, so now I will finally be giving this game another full play through and play the DLC as well (I completed the base game on PS4).

dr_rus

2880X1620 (200% DSR I believe)
Motionblur is on, CA off, Film grain off, all NV effects on.

Ok, looks like Gameworks actually needs a game restart to work properly. My results are pretty close to yours now: 27/84/62.

Previous one can be considered as a non-Gameworks I think and in this case they are close as well: 46/122/89 vs mine 45/116/87.

They said they are in talks with people because of the SLI. I ASSUME that this means they will patch more, but given what they did so far I am really not so sure.

They had better. I don't care about the timeframe so much but it better damned get into a mostly fixed state eventually.

pahamrick

They had better. I don't care about the timeframe so much but it better damned get into a mostly fixed state eventually.

I've lost all faith in this getting into that state. The most amusement I've gotten out of the game is the "discussion" the broken port has brought me, which is sad.

I was so hyped for this 5 months ago.

Played for a while (nothing major, just drove around with the car, solved couple of puzzles and stuff, didn't fight any enemies). All settings high except interactive smoke and debris off and... it actually runs pretty decently now in a relatively empty scenes (970GTX, i5-4960K).

The thing is that it stutters. A lot. I can barely hold solid sixty, instead I am getting drops to 58-59 all the time, which looks kinda janky. I think lowest I recorded was 51, which is not too shabby I guess. The stuttering is weird though: I started with normal settings and then proceeded to bump all the settings up one by one and I still go that same stuttering all the time.

I've always been getting stutter tbh and I just learned to live with it unfortunately :( I thought it was just my 5400rpm HD but after seeing these posts... lol.

I'm still going for 60 because when it works it's so smooth.

iNvid02

hmm i finished it after that first major update (september? i think) and didnt notice stutter, im usually sensitive to that stuff. is the stutter still there in offline mode in steam for you guys? are your cpu cores unparked? is the game set to prefer max performance in control panel? i dunno if it will help but im sure i got through this thing without stutter, and ofc it was running off an ssd too

paolo11

I hope WB fixed this for real because this current patch did nothing to improve the performance of this game. Seems like the patch is a waste of hard drive space to be honest.

pahamrick

I've always been getting stutter tbh and I just learned to live with it unfortunately :( I thought it was just my 5400rpm HD but after seeing these posts... lol.

I'm still going for 60 because when it works it's so smooth.

It honestly could be for all anyone knows. Most of the posts where people say they have minimal to no stutter are posts from people with the game running off an SSD.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Has anyone tried something like creating a custom resolution @ 50hz, then running the game locked 50? Or 45, or whatever.

If the game can't hold 60, but bottoms out at something like 50, then locking to 50 might provide a much smoother experience than 30 without the hitchiness thats coming with 60.

Still fucked to need to do that tho if it does work.

I Think A Warner Bros Wanker said:
For Windows 10 users, we’ve found that having at least 12GB of system RAM on a PC allows the game to operate without paging and provides a smoother gameplay experience.
4 months, folks.
tumblr_m0an6ccSEa1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Having issues running it as well here. Still feels jumpy even with vsync at 30 and everything turned down. Not to mention the game seems to hog VRAM for no good reason I can tell so there's barely any legroom to play with..

4770K stock, 8GB ram, and a 2 gig reference GTX 680, running at 1080p

Disappointed, and the free games they're offering are games it seems a lot of people who bought Arkham Knight will have gotten and played through already.

Top Bottom