• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

It's clear that the PC version is not optimized like the console version is. I guess that's one of the benefits of console gaming, they normally get better optimization as the specs are the same on every machine, unlike PC with thousands of different spec combos.

Large framedrops even when you have already put a 30 fps cap, with a new and shiny (and expensive) 980ti?? That's sounds worse than AC:Unity, in my experience.

This game needs to get refunded by everyone ASAP.

It's clear that the PC version is not optimized like the console version is. I guess that's one of the benefits of console gaming, they normally get better optimization as the specs are the same on every machine, unlike PC with thousands of different spec combos.

Ironic how I have the PS4 Collector's Edition being shipped to me but running the game on PC on SLI 980s have killed my Hype for the game.

ClearData

Any official response from the developers or Warner Brothers? This has to be massively embarrassing. There's really no defending this. I would have waited another few weeks for a polished PC port. As it stands now I'll be going back to the Witcher while I wait for patches.

I'm not buying another Rocksteady or WB release day one again. I learned my lesson.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Even with the VPN running it's saying the same thing.

Looks like I'll have to download it again?

That's bizarre. Do you have a folder named 208650 in SteamApps\downloading or an installation folder in SteamApps\common? If at least some of the data has silently unpacked then you can avoid having to redownload everything.

sgs2008

I feel that there's definitley an i ssue with texture streaming or something just comparing my game 4k downsampled to on the officer down trailer which i downloaded off gamersyde there is a massive difference in texture quality

BPoole

I'm glad I didn't buy this. I think from now on any game with GameWorks is going to get a pass from me only I know it runs properly

Any official response from the developers or Warner Brothers? This has to be massively embarrassing. There's really no defending this. I would have waited another few weeks for a polished PC port. As it stands now I'll be going back to the Witcher while I wait for patches.

I'm not buying another Rocksteady or WB release day one again. I learned my lesson.

I'm waiting for Witcher 3 to fix their LOD issues on my SLI 980s.

Waiting for the PS4 Collector's Edition of this game that I preordered months ago to arrive after Steam refunded me for the PC version.

I'm glad I didn't buy this. I think from now on any game with GameWorks is going to get a pass from me only I know it runs properly

With Nvidia having such a market share its going to be a huge list.

I guess there's a first time for everything.

If that is the case. Someone fucked up, big time.

But on topic, have people tried messing with the .inis to tweak the amount of VRAM the game allocates? OR similarly, how mcuh virtual memory / memory it can use?

What are the consistencies (if any) between the hardware which is experiencing it?

Someone told me this was not done by Rocksteady. I can honestly believe them seeing how well Asylum ran when it was released compared to this.

I really do hope that Rocksteady did the port because third party porting patch support is tenuous on PC after launch and rarely fixes problem. I can only hope they had a day one patch for PC in the wings but haven't deployed it.

On the other hand I can't imagine Nvidia being pleased at all. They're putting their name on this game and it runs like garbage, even on their own cards. I think Rocksteady will fix it, question is how fast.

Zemm

Yeah add gameworks to the list:

1. Anything from WB
2. Anything from Ubi
3. Anything with gameworks in.

Qassim

Ironic how I have the PS4 Collector's Edition being shipped to me but running the game on PC on SLI 980s have killed my Hype for the game.

Yeah, I could very easily buy this game on PS4 or XBO right now, but I'm barely even interested in playing it anymore. I'll just take the PC refund and.. wait and see if the game on PC gets fixed.

riflen

I have my system info running on my G15's screen to watch things.

The "out of memory" message is totally because the game is using as much of your RAM as it can, it hit 5GB on me when I had the message come up, I went back to the game and the second it hit 90% memory utilization it crashed. What size is your page file? I've increased my max PF size to 4GB to see if that affects anything. Windows 7 really doesn't like it when your RAM usage goes above 75% and pretty sure the VRAM usage is so high because of the game using whatever is free as cache.

It is pretty ridiculous that this game, which is clearly built around consoles is using A LOT more memory than what the current gen consoles can utilize.

Unless your computer has < 3GB of system memory, a 4GB page file is way too small. Its maximum size should be around 1.5 times your system memory capacity. Windows will hit the page file all the time and limiting it like that will only cause you problems when you begin to use of a lot of your available RAM.

reklaw

Neo Member
G'day Gaffers,

Thought I'd share my experiences as the game runs perfectly including Batmobile and all other scenarios I.e. solid frame rate without hitching.

GPU 1: Gigabyte Gaming G1 980 Ti @ Standard clocks- SLI Disabled- this GPU is rendering the game.

GPU 2: Gigabyte Gaming G1 980 Ti @ Standard clocks- this GPU is dedicated to PhysX

CPU: 5960X @ 4.5 GHz
RAM: 32 GB @ XMP disabled (running at JEDEC 2133)
Game installed on 840 Pro SSD

I set the game to highest in game settings for 4k Resolution (native) and turned on all the Nvidia features. Left the 30 FPS default on and VSYNC on as well.

Running Windows 10 64 bit, latest 353.30 Nvidia Drivers. FYI those with 980 Ti these work with Windows 10 without INF hacks etc needed previously.

Set Nvidia control panel to prefer maximum performance and single display mode.

Uninstalled MSI Afterburner and disable Steam in game overlay, only other app i'm running is FRAPS.

Games runs flawlessly and 30FPS is smooth for this kind of game.

I suggest for those of you with 2 GPU's (in green team) to set the other to dedicated PhysX as you can have all that stuff on without stuttering / frame drops even with all the smoke and other stuff going on. The other GPU only has to hit 30 FPS on whatever res your running on. A good combination.

Reklaw

Yep, been waiting for any response from them too. Like, yeah we´re working on the patch, soon, gotcha bitch. Anything.

I have 2way SLI 980s . Run the game at 4K same as you , 30FPS and the game doesn't even feel smooth. Honestly with Setups that cost thousands this kind of medicore performance is -_-.

Honestly I don't even think the game looks that aesthetically great.

People seem to be reporting problems with SLI? Some people say disabling it results in a better experience right now.

I had SLI several years ago, my previous experience with it made me swear off multi-GPU setups. I'm a single-GPU PC gamer these days.

I should have read this thread before firing up the game. Started to worry that my gaming laptop is finally outpaced and struggling to maintain 30fps on high settings, so I kicked it down to normal settings with AA off and the performance benchmark ran worse.

Tizoc

Let's look at the bright side.

Maybe people will learn not to preorder, ever.

I'm still pre-ordering Mighty #9 off Nuuvem.
I am also gonna go pre-order the upcoming DBZ Butoden Extreme game on 3DS.
I had also recently finished pre-ordering $200 worth of Vita games some weeks ago.

People are still gonna pre-order games if they like them, I mean heck there are prob. those who pre-ordered the PS4 ver. and are enjoying the game.

Witcher 3 runs great though.

Yes, AK is by far the exception. Shadows of Mordor ran well and actually had some exclusive PC features.

I'm still pre-ordering Mighty #9 off Nuuvem.
I am also gonna go pre-order the upcoming DBZ Butoden Extreme game on 3DS.
I had also recently finished pre-ordering $200 worth of Vita games some weeks ago.

People are still gonna pre-order, I mean heck there are prob. those who pre-ordered the PS4 ver. and are enjoying the game.

Pretty much, I'll probably not pre-order from Rocksteady anymore, but usually I preorder if the studio/dev has a good record and the deal is good ($37 GMG was too good to pass up).

A reminder how much a shit show Batman AC was for months.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011...directx_11_performance_iq_review#.VYlCCpXbK3I

pcper had reported it as did many others. Even the benchmark numbers look the same today as they did in 2011

Have a hard time believing it looks worse though, probably looks the same or slightly better. Maybe the blur and CA is pretty jarring for some PC folks but have a look at some PS4 screens, seems bad across the board.

Batman on PC usually drops in price pretty hard quickly

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Someone told me this was not done by Rocksteady. I can honestly believe them seeing how well Asylum ran when it was released compared to this.

It wasn't. Inquisitive folks will no doubt notice that the game's base app is also in Rocksteady's developer sub, but if you check the data depot list you'll see that none of Arkham Knights' ones are there.

Fenom

Gotta admit this stings, I had it preordered on ps4 for £37. Canceled that when I got my 970 and bought it for £25 off gmg. So for the sake of £12 I've got a game that runs worse and I could've traded the ps4 version in once completed.

CHC

Witcher 3 runs great though.

It would definitely be an exaggeration to say that it didn't have a rough launch in terms of performance. Horrible issues on older Nvidia, as well as AMD, cards. Lots of stuttering that people couldn't find a solution to, and crashes. Granted, many had a good experience with it and most all of those things are fixed now, but Gameworks was shown to be the source of the performance issues and who knows what else.

Tizoc

Yes, AK is by far the exception. Shadows of Mordor ran well and actually had some exclusive PC features.

I was able to run Moredoors at High settings+30 FPS lock and never had an issue. Granted I couldn't experience it in 60 FPS, but I had fun playing it on my lappy.

In the past, the Nvidia-specific features were a few optional extras, and so you could mostly ignore the fact that they ran like total pants. I'd gotten used to it being of no real value. I took one look at how the Nvidia hair setting performed in TW3, for example, and immediately turned it off. And it was fine, because there were a lot of other settings to work with. Similar case with Ubi games like AC and Far Cry.

But now with Arkham Knight there are basically no PC settings besides Gameworks. And if that's going to be the case going forward for PC ports, that's a problem, because the stuff has always run like shit.

People seem to be reporting problems with SLI? Some people say disabling it results in a better experience right now.

I had SLI several years ago, my previous experience with it made me swear off multi-GPU setups. I'm a single-GPU PC gamer these days.

I'll upgrade to a single GPU setup when a single GPU doubles my SLI 980 performance which hasn't happened yet.

glaurung

OK I got the new drivers and all the NVIDIA interactive smoke and paper debris is turned on as well.

It looks nice and I don't feel like there is a frame rate drop. But the cost? The game is now incredibly unstable, crashing while doing glide kicks, crashing when doing trials etc.

Methos#1975

After messing with the settings all night and the Nvidia Control Center, I have gotten a fairly consistent 30FPS on the Alienware Alpha. It still sees a few random drops here and there to 28FPS, but they aren't common. Much happier with the game than I was, when I was averaging 22FPS.

Spaghetti

got this from a greenman pre-order from over a year ago, so there's no way i can get this refunded.

don't even want to start playing it because of the atrocious performance i've been hearing about.

OK I got the new drivers and all the NVIDIA interactive smoke and paper debris is turned on as well.

It looks nice and I don't feel like there is a frame rate drop. But the cost? The game is now incredibly unstable, crashing while doing glide kicks, crashing when doing trials etc.

There seems to be two types of problems when it comes game , rashes/hitching or nasty FPS drops.

got this from a greenman pre-order from over a year ago, so there's no way i can get this refunded.

don't even want to start playing it because of the atrocious performance i've been hearing about.

I woke up in the morning all hyped up and preloaded the game last night.

Then I played the game and my hype is gone.

iNvid02

The only reason I didn't get this straight away is because City DX11 soured me big time, not surprised gameworks is fucked. Might as well wait until that retailer exclusive DLC window expires in September and see where performance is at.

IIRC They never even implemented tessellation into Unity lol

noshten

Just don't trust major publisher with their PC Ports. Don't buy at launch. Don't pre-order.

Has there been a AAA game from Ubi/WB/Activision/EA that hasn't had issues at launch on PC in the last few years?

It's why more and more I'm completely not paying attention to games those four companies release. Better get some PC-centric games that don't treat clients like second class citizens.

After messing with the settings all night and the Nvidia Control Center, I have gotten a fairly consistent 30FPS on the Alienware Alpha. It still sees a few random drops here and there to 28FPS, but they aren't common. Much happier with the game than I was, when I was averaging 22FPS.

What's your Alpha's config, and what settings did you change?

Zakalwe

Banned
That's bizarre. Do you have a folder named 208650 in SteamApps\downloading or an installation folder in SteamApps\common? If at least some of the data has silently unpacked then you can avoid having to redownload everything.

Neither.

I uninstalled/reinstalled steam, it'snow showing Play and is downloading something else. Shows 38.8gb/38.8gb with 12 minutes to go, so not sure exactly what it's doing... but it's doing something.

Fingers crossed.

Just don't trust major publisher with their PC Ports. Don't buy at launch. Don't pre-order.

Has there been a AAA game from Ubi/WB/Activision/EA that hasn't had issues at launch on PC in the last few years?

It's why more and more I'm completely not paying attention to games those four companies release. Better get some PC-centric games that don't treat clients like second class citizens.

Its funny how Rockstar took their goddamn sweet time with the PC version of GTA V and it is a pretty well done port.

The only reason I didn't get this straight away is because City DX11 soured me big time, not surprised gameworks is fucked. Might as well wait until that retailer exclusive DLC window expires in September and see where performance is at.

IIRC They never even implemented tessellation into Unity lol

Just get Metal Gear Solid V in september , Ground Zeroes was a solid Port , hopefully Phantom Pain will be the same.

Prototype

Running a gtx 970 and the latest i5, after setting fps to 60 as per the OP I'm getting 60 FPS most places. Haven't had any problems so far.
Also haven't downloaded the new nVidia drivers, not sure if itll help or hurt, and since things seem to running mostly smoothly I'm going to hold off for now.

noshten

Its funny how Rockstar took their goddamn sweet time with the PC version of GTA V and it is a pretty well done port.

Yes, and because it was well optimized it turned out that the wait was worth it.
Personally I haven't been interested in GTA for a decade, but if this is what it takes to make a PC Port work than by all means take your bloody time doing it.

decoy11

Does anyone feel like they did a hack job on the Unreal 3 engine with all the comments being found in the .ini files. I feel like because the Unreal 3 engine never had official support from Epic, Rocksteady probably had to port it to XB1 and PS4 themselves.

Top Bottom