• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Ugh, this doesn't seem very good. I'm glad I only paid $25 for this (nvidia promo), but I still feel like maybe I wasted my money. I definitely don't want to encourage these kinds of shitty ports. I never expected this game to have so many problems since the other Batman games all ran fine for me.

I guess I'll see how bad it is for myself this evening. I was really looking forward to this game, too. When was the last 91 Metacritic game that was this shitty on PC? Sigh.

And WTF at the Denuvo. Just... why? Why haven't we moved passed the inclusion of gross draconian DRM yet?

Zakalwe

Banned
Running a gtx 970 and the latest i5, after setting fps to 60 as per the OP I'm getting 60 FPS most places. Haven't had any problems so far.
Also haven't downloaded the new nVidia drivers, not sure if itll help or hurt, and since things seem to running mostly smoothly I'm going to hold off for now.

Settings?

Qassim

Just don't trust major publisher with their PC Ports. Don't buy at launch. Don't pre-order.

Has there been a AAA game from Ubi/WB/Activision/EA that hasn't had issues at launch on PC in the last few years?

It's why more and more I'm completely not paying attention to games those four companies release. Better get some PC-centric games that don't treat clients like second class citizens.

Eh, unless I've been very lucky, things have mostly been fine for me. This is the first game in a very, very long time where the game doesn't run at a level I consider acceptable.

Does anyone feel like they did a hack job on the Unreal 3 engine with all the comments being found in the .ini files. I feel like because the Unreal 3 engine never had official support from Epic, Rocksteady probably had to port it to XB1 and PS4 themselves.

The PC Version is the Port , the PS4 is the Lead Platform.

Gameworks is gaming Ebola, stop infecting our shit already.

I'm thinking of not getting Nvidia for my next card.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Neither.

I uninstalled/reinstalled steam, it'snow showing Play and is downloading something else. Shows 38.8gb/38.8gb with 12 minutes to go, so not sure exactly what it's doing... but it's doing something.

Fingers crossed.

Ah, how odd, but at least you git it sorted. Keep an eye on the progress, though, as the game kept pausing itself on my end. I had to manually resume the process when it it had all of 12 seconds remaining.

tbd

When a game has anything to do with Nvidia, it's always best to expect this kind of stuff.

Although Witcher 3 runs surprisingly well... without the Nvidia plug ins/effects.

//DEVIL//

Ugh, this doesn't seem very good. I'm glad I only paid $25 for this (nvidia promo), but I still feel like maybe I wasted my money. I definitely don't want to encourage these kinds of shitty ports. I never expected this game to have so many problems since the other Batman games all ran fine for me.

I guess I'll see how bad it is for myself this evening. I was really looking forward to this game, too. When was the last 91 Metacritic game that was this shitty on PC? Sigh.

And WTF at the Denuvo. Just... why? Why haven't we moved passed the inclusion of gross draconian DRM yet?

lol exact same feeling. exact same ammount paid.

Static Jak

Gameworks is gaming Ebola, stop infecting our shit already.
It really is the worst. It adds some extra effects that are ok but not near worth the dive in performance.

Oh great, smoke looks nicer now and there's some paper that blows in the wind but I've lost half my fucking framerate.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ah, how odd, but at least you git it sorted. Keep an eye on the progress, though, as the game kept pausing itself on my end. I had to manually resume the process when it it had all of 12 seconds remaining.

Thanks for your help Jase, hopefully this is it. :3

thelastword

Banned
I also can't help but feel that developers should steer clear of Nvidia's proprietary third party tech. In the last 3 titles that Gameworks has prominently been featured in (Project Cars, Witcher 3, and this) there have been big performance issues for users of both AMD and Nvidia. And yes I know you can "turn off" the Gameworks stuff but it's still PhysX running all the physics, cloth, volumetric fog, etc.

This shit looks great in promotional videos but it always seems to bring big performance issues and all around janky-ness with it. My own observations and opinion obviously, but I think Nvidia should keep their fingers out of the pie in terms of actual game development.
The problem is, you get people who get so excited because these effects differentiate the PC from other platforms, however, at the cost that it does so, you would have to turn said features off anyway in favor of performance.

These features are just tech demo like features to me, it's good to show what your expensive card can do but if you treasure performance in your games you just have to know that these features are not ready for primetime and are certainly not efficiently done or visually pleasing in some instances.

Really don't know why "WORKS" is a thing, only a handful will be able to use it; like 1% of GPU users, it pretty much kills your framerate in half and brings all sorts of jankiness with it (as you so rightfully said). I really believe devs should be left to wrought out their own solutions and avoid these inefficient custom solutions which everybody turns off anyway.

Riky

$MSFT
Had pre ordered and preloaded, now I find out my R9 270 is below the minimum spec, ridiculous they changed them at the last minute.

Zemm

This thread has double the amount of pages compared to the official thread haha.

I hope rocksteady say something today. Even if it's only 'we're working on it'.

the thing is though, isn't it still running like junk even without the gameworks features on?

Because nobody really knows why it is the way it is (apart from the Unreal Engine specific streaming), so everyone is just lashing out at the usual targets.

There is nobody else to blame but the creators of the game, they have decided to launch the game in it's current state.

decoy11

The PC Version is the Port , the PS4 is the Lead Platform.

What I mean is it feels like they first took the latest version of the modded unreal 3 engine they had used for Arkham city/origin then ported that to XB1 and PS4. Once they got that to work they ported that to PC.

Qassim

the thing is though, isn't it still running like junk even without the gameworks features on?

Gameworks is just a convenient boogie man for the most part. Gameworks is almost always an optional part of a game, in The Witcher 3 where they used ApexClothing, it ran pretty much identically on the CPU - so I don't think people can blame Gameworks for any problems they had on that game.

b0bbyJ03

Hey everyone, I'll be stuck and work and can only take quick glances at this thread. Would anyone mind telling me what to expect with a 980, 3770k@4.3, 8GB RAM, windows 8? Thanks :)

Gbraga

I left the 30 fps cap on, so I get 30 fps. There are occasional hitches when it's obvious there's asset streaming going on but no significant stutters or drops like some people have reported.

Even while driving? If it wasn't for the batmobile, I could stand the somewhat frequent classic UE3 stutter when loading assets, but the batmobile is so fast that it goes from dropping frames every now and then to constantly dropping frames.

Spaghetti

then people should stop blaming gameworks for this.

if the feature is turned off and it still runs badly, is gameworks really the problem? no, it isn't.

really disgusted about the inclusion of that dumbass denuvo DRM too. that was never mentioned when i pre-ordered at all.

Kojaq

Is anyone else getting the problem of the 360 or xbone controller not working but DS4 is, and without ds4xinput. I just find it strange is all.

Wolfie5

The hell!

I was looking forward to play this later today and than I see this thread...

Haven't read the whole thread, but it doesn't look good for my 970 + 4790k going by some of the responses I have seen.

Does everyone have problems playing the game? Is there any hope?

then people should stop blaming gameworks for this.

if the feature is turned off and it still runs badly, is gameworks really the problem? no, it isn't.

really disgusted about the inclusion of that dumbass denuvo DRM too. that was never mentioned when i pre-ordered at all.

Gameworks just makes it worse.

sgs2008

Whats worse is that the poor technical issue are distracting from a rly fun game. Just got the new bat suit and am realign enjoying the new take down mechanics ejecting out of the batmobile and slamming a thug's face into the gorund followed up by knocking his buddy into the air to be shot down by a riot bullet from the bat mobile never gets old.

The hell!

I was looking forward to play this later today and I see this thread...

Haven't read the whole thread, but it doesn't look good for my 970 + 4790k going by some of the responses I have seen.

From what I heard people running 970s have tons of issues.

is high the max setting on textures? because i cant go aver that, 980ti here

No Because FUCK YOU - Rocksteady PR .

diamount

Banned
The hell!

I am getting 60fps + with exactly that hardware, with only the interactive smoke turned off.

Pepiope

The hell!

The game runs okay on a Titan X or 980ti. I have the same setup, and as excited as I was for this game, I think I'm going to wait a couple weeks for them to fix it before I dive in.

The hell!

I have that set up and it's definitely been problematic but not unplayable. With most things on high I was getting 50-60 FPS in most cases and it dropped down to 40ish when I was driving in the Batmobile.

Peterthumpa

If it wasn't for the stutters and constant crashes, the game would be totally playable at 30 FPS with GameWorks on and @ 1440p with my 970. And 30 FPS in this game feels good.

wordslinger

Neo Member
How about stop making 10 other pieces of preorder bonus content and stop work on seasons pass dlc untill the actual game isn't a fucking dumpster fire. How's that sound

epmode

A quick test this morning confirms a framerate that swings all over the place. G-Sync is very useful here.

..Course, a refund would be more useful. But I screwed up by going with GMG.

edit: Bonus points for sneaking in Denuvo. WB sucks.

Kinthalis

Banned
A quick test this morning confirms a framerate that swings all over the place. G-Sync is very useful here.

..Course, a refund would be more userul. But I screwed up by going with GMG.

Same here. Back to the witcher 3 until this shit gets ironed out.

Top Bottom